Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

redleader posted:

years after first hearing about them, i'm still in awe of the sheer, genius simplicity of piezoelectric delay lines

The original ones were giant lumps of roughened glass (p6 & 8) tuned with a grinding wheel, so I can see why some places said "eh, NTSC's good enough for now" but yeah enough glass to store exactly one line of television to compare to the next one is very cool and extremely 60s engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Grape posted:

That that dude levied the accusation of American French hate at Tei the Spaniard.

The Spanish were known for hating the French back during the Peninsular War, and I can only assume that nothing has changed since then

Also many on the nationalist side of the Spanish Civil War thought the French were meddling Judaized mason degenerates, and I can also only assume that is still a popular viewpoint over there

e: call a Spaniard afrancesado if you really want to piss them off!!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not even Spanish but holy poo poo that's vile

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Phlegmish posted:

The Spanish were known for hating the French back during the Peninsular War, and I can only assume that nothing has changed since then

Also many on the nationalist side of the Spanish Civil War thought the French were meddling Judaized mason degenerates, and I can also only assume that is still a popular viewpoint over there

yep..

They invaded my country, killed many people, burned my city after a long siege, it was a war fought soldiers against civilians. They made example of many towns with atrocities.

(can't link to horrible images, because forum rules, so I will link the wikipedia page)
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_desastres_de_la_guerra

For a long time, being influenced by the french was a dirty word, even in the parts of story where spain was allied to france. Probably in part because being "afrancesado" was also a synonim of progressist, so a easy target for conservatives.

For a long time the spanish had a burnng hate against the french. They destroyed our agricultural products on the frontier and made us destroy our trees before entering the european union.

https://www.rtve.es/fotogalerias/camiones-espanoles-bloqueados-agricultores-franceses/140915/

But ashes turn to dust. And time cures all. And I think young spanish don't give a rat rear end about france. We don't have any recent dispute to stir nationalist or the old ashes. The average spanish have a low level hate and disdain for anything non-spanish, as if the iberian peninsula where a entire continent, and beyond the peninsula there where only barbarians. France is just some of these barbarians.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 17, 2021

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

As far as things go, the Peninsular War followed less than two decades later by the Hundred Thousand Sons of St. Louis are pretty decent reasons to hate France.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Speaking of the Peninsular War Wikipedia today led me down the rabbit hole of the French Revolutionary wars, which led me back to our previous topic of the integration pre-conquest Mexican nobility into Spanish power structures.

Did you know that to this day there is still a Spanish Duke of Moctezuma who is a descendant of the last Aztec emperor Moctezuma II via his daughter?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Moctezuma_de_Tultengo

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Speaking of the Peninsular War Wikipedia today led me down the rabbit hole of the French Revolutionary wars, which led me back to our previous topic of the integration pre-conquest Mexican nobility into Spanish power structures.

Did you know that to this day there is still a Spanish Duke of Moctezuma who is a descendant of the last Aztec emperor Moctezuma II via his daughter?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Moctezuma_de_Tultengo

In true r/relationships fashion, I'm doing the ages math and the ages on the 3rd countess' family is ridiculous.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Re: France, yeah, it'd kind of weird when people hate it for the wrong reasons. Like, France is actually a militarily very accomplished country, the reason their defeats loom so large is because they are historically the exception, not the norm.

I think the French are alright, but their francocentrism is sometimes utterly baffling. People sometimes laugh at how ignorant of the wider world the average American is, but the French are just as bad and they don't have the excuse of living in a nation that spans half a continent. I've lost count of how many French people I have encountered who think Belgium is monolingually French-speaking, while we live right next door.

An example: back in 2012 the company I worked for was acquired by a French company, and with it came new HR software. When entering our profiles, one of the fields was 'language proficiency'. For starters, you could only pick two languages, as if people who speak more than two languages didn't exist. Second, they had listed French, English, Spanish and... Flemish? Flemish isn't a language (it's like saying 'American' is a language) so HQ was inundated by calls from both Belgian and Dutch employees who were mad at this nomenclature, as well as people who spoke other languages (like Arabic, Russian or German). HQ was surprised by the outcry and then added 'Hollandic' and 'Afrikaans' (?!) to the list. Still no German though. And through all this, people at HQ in Paris were genuinely confused that somehow their worldview was incorrect, like a slow version of whiteguyblinking.gif.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

How dare you.
And most of the time you probably deserve to have your fleet sunk.

At least Swedish ships can sink all on their own without even an enemy in sight!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Flemish, Hollandic, Afrikaans, Prussian, Bavarian, Anglican, and Scots dialects of Dutch.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I believe theres a small opposition against France because France refuse to be only another USA colony.

They try more than other countries to have their own culture, and not just buy the latest USA movies and weapons.

Countries that do this.... there are few, Afganistan under Taliban mandate, North Korea, Cuba.

France is not against USA, is allied with USA on all conflict I know of, but by being their own thing may appear as uppity compared to all other countries that act as USA squire, follow USA orders, buy USA weapons and consume USA propaganda.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I think the French are alright, but their francocentrism is sometimes utterly baffling.

Hit the nail on the head right here.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

At least Swedish ships can sink all on their own without even an enemy in sight!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sweden is literally the least trustworthy ally/neighbor any country could have while still pretending to be a friend.

Never before have I been so offended by something I completely agree with
/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Look, there are three languages: proper French, wrong French and Foreign. Whatever dialect of Foreign you speak is less interesting.

French language policy post revolution is a pretty fascinating topic though. France went from being a huge mess of dialects and languages to extremely standardized across pretty much all of France through very aggressive language policy, which incidentally lives on in the way French (and Canadian) people perceive dialects today.
Like, we know that Breton is something a few people speak today, but 300 years ago, most of France was pretty much like that, or at least had strong enough dialects that you couldn't necessarily speak with someone a couple of regions away.

Sweden was also going strong at some point. When they took the Scandinavian glans (Skåne, Halland and Blekinge) from Denmark, both the English and the French "recommended" them not to take Sjælland as well, because if Sweden controlled Øresund, that would make them too powerful, and that in turn would have consequences.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BonHair posted:

Sjælland
Petition to rename it to Tirani.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wait what did france/eu do to spain's trees

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tei posted:

I believe theres a small opposition against France because France refuse to be only another USA colony.

They try more than other countries to have their own culture, and not just buy the latest USA movies and weapons.

Countries that do this.... there are few, Afganistan under Taliban mandate, North Korea, Cuba.

France is not against USA, is allied with USA on all conflict I know of, but by being their own thing may appear as uppity compared to all other countries that act as USA squire, follow USA orders, buy USA weapons and consume USA propaganda.

These are sentences written by an insane person.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Doesn’t France refuse to say Jumbo Jet? And various other American words are ‘transliterated’ into something more French?

I dunno. Cultures are odd.

I always thought the American coy hatred of French stuff was so funny when I was in the Air Force because so much military jargon literally comes from French words.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

To be fair to Sweden they've been in like 50 different wars with Denmark over the years. It rivals the whole France/England beef in terms of different wars over several centuries.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know about that, it's a pretty faithful representation of old style US-hate among europeans. You used to hear it from crusty old communists et al when I was a kid.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I think the French are alright, but their francocentrism is sometimes utterly baffling. People sometimes laugh at how ignorant of the wider world the average American is, but the French are just as bad and they don't have the excuse of living in a nation that spans half a continent. I've lost count of how many French people I have encountered who think Belgium is monolingually French-speaking, while we live right next door.

I have heard this before (from non-French people), and interestingly it's usually not from Anglos - most often the latter will either know literally nothing about Belgium, or have the basics down well enough. I have actually spoken to, or heard of, German people who thought that surely I must speak French since I said I was 'Belgian'. I try not to be offended, since I've long ceased to be surprised at people's ignorance. Probably the main causes for this are 1) Belgium's very real history of French supremacism, especially in the 19th century, and 2) the fact that French is the lingua franca in Brussels, with token official bilingualism in place at the best of times. Brussels is probably the least representative capital city in Europe, but I wouldn't necessarily expect a foreigner to know that.

It's one of the reasons I usually describe myself as 'Flemish' in international contexts these days. Either (often) they'll have no idea what you're talking about, and that can be an opening to explain more about yourself, or they do and then they immediately have a pretty good idea of what your background is.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

An example: back in 2012 the company I worked for was acquired by a French company, and with it came new HR software. When entering our profiles, one of the fields was 'language proficiency'. For starters, you could only pick two languages, as if people who speak more than two languages didn't exist. Second, they had listed French, English, Spanish and... Flemish? Flemish isn't a language

This is quite common, and once again not just a French thing. It's surprising as well, since you will never find that word used to refer to our language in any (official) Belgian context, but I have read or heard it so many times from foreigners completely unprompted. Again, two potential causes come to mind: 1) the nomenclature has historically often been filtered through French, and as you say they have their own Machiavellian reasons to divide all non-French languages endlessly, especially here where it also served to maintain the ascendancy of French in Belgium, and 2) ironically, the fact that 'Flemish' as a term has some residual historical prestige in certain languages and cultures. In some languages, the word for 'Dutch' is actually derived from 'Flemish'. For example, I'm not 100% on the etymology of the Turkish word Felemenkçe (Dutch), but it would be an extreme coincidence if that weren't the case there.

In Flanders itself this is not a thing at all, it doesn't matter where you are on the left-right or unitarian-separatist spectra, we all think of our language as Dutch, although occasionally you will hear 'Flemish' in colloquial contexts (which is why it has a pronounced low-class connotation when it does get used).

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

To be fair to Sweden they've been in like 50 different wars with Denmark over the years. It rivals the whole France/England beef in terms of different wars over several centuries.

What you mean "rival"? We killed each other longer, more, consistently, thoroughly and self-destructively than anyone. It's one of histories largest blessings we could stop.

Britain could only fantasise about getting to our level.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

According to some random website Sweden and Denmark hold the record for most wars between countries:

quote:

Sweden and Denmark have fought each other for centuries and hold the record for most wars fought between them. It all adds up to around 30 wars since the 15th century. We even beat the biggest enemies of Europe, England and France, who have fought 16 wars.

It's not quite 50 wars, but almost.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cracker King posted:

Doesn’t France refuse to say Jumbo Jet? And various other American words are ‘transliterated’ into something more French?

I dunno. Cultures are odd.

Iceland literally has a government agency (or something like that) for making up words. A fellow linguistics student when I was in university did her bachelor's degree in her native Iceland and had a student job as a word creator. It sounded good on paper, but it turns out that most of the words were technical terms, so a lot less fun in practice.
They didn't catch "app" in time though, so that's an Icelandic word now.
It's an old tradition, but not incredibly so. I like that they call the colour orange "appelsínugulur", using the Danish word for the fruit orange and yellow.

Anyway, France and England should get some points for their wars being long. I don't think Denmark-Sweden ever lasted 30 years, let alone 100.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Also worth mentioning is that Denmark historically held the upper hand in naval power compared to Sweden. The Danish navy is perhaps the foremost foiler of Swedish plans that exists. Imagine being a Swedish commander and actively stopping it from being sunk. It's not going to happen.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fox Cunning posted:

Also worth mentioning is that Denmark historically held the upper hand in naval power compared to Sweden. The Danish navy is perhaps the foremost foiler of Swedish plans that exists. Imagine being a Swedish commander and actively stopping it from being sunk. It's not going to happen.

Before the aforementioned preemptive strike against our navy, the Danish navy was not just better than the Swedish*, but an actual major player rivalled pretty much only by the English and possibly Spanish fleets. And I'm pretty sure a lot of that can be traced to having both sides of Øresund being fantastic source of income.

*Both in terms of numbers and in terms of our boats but sinking when they left the dock

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also when they play each other at football sometimes it spells 'Sweden'.

Other times it spells 'Denswe' but that's not a country.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Fox Cunning posted:

As previously stated, most of the time they probably deserve to be sunk.

E. And the hundred years war is an invention. They had a couple of skirmishes and campaigns during a period of roughly a hundred years and they call that a war, complete amateurs.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 17, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Guavanaut posted:

Other times it spells 'Denswe' but that's not a country.

The Glorious People's Cleromantic Autocracy of Denswe formally rebukes the esteemed Guavanauts' insulting pronouncements, and furthermore we invite all and sundry to enjoy our therapeutic hot tar beaches and randomly-selected laws

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Phlegmish posted:

Probably the main causes for this are 1) Belgium's very real history of French supremacism, especially in the 19th century, and 2) the fact that French is the lingua franca in Brussels, with token official bilingualism in place at the best of times. Brussels is probably the least representative capital city in Europe, but I wouldn't necessarily expect a foreigner to know that.

3. Hercule Poirot the only Belgian in fiction

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:cryinghergé:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The two main groups in Belgium are the Phlegms and the Balloons, right?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

And a bit of Germs in the east.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

flemish i assume are stereotyped to be kind of hicks in the netherlands? a friend in noord-brabant gets made fun of because they say he's got a southern accent

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tei posted:

yep..

They invaded my country, killed many people, burned my city after a long siege, it was a war fought soldiers against civilians. They made example of many towns with atrocities.

(can't link to horrible images, because forum rules, so I will link the wikipedia page)
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_desastres_de_la_guerra

For a long time, being influenced by the french was a dirty word, even in the parts of story where spain was allied to france. Probably in part because being "afrancesado" was also a synonim of progressist, so a easy target for conservatives.

For a long time the spanish had a burnng hate against the french. They destroyed our agricultural products on the frontier and made us destroy our trees before entering the european union.

https://www.rtve.es/fotogalerias/camiones-espanoles-bloqueados-agricultores-franceses/140915/

But ashes turn to dust. And time cures all. And I think young spanish don't give a rat rear end about france. We don't have any recent dispute to stir nationalist or the old ashes. The average spanish have a low level hate and disdain for anything non-spanish, as if the iberian peninsula where a entire continent, and beyond the peninsula there where only barbarians. France is just some of these barbarians.

Typical American...

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tei posted:

Some of it is baked in inheritance from Britain (stuff about France as effete elitist continentals), amplified by local conservative trends and the general stereotype of all Western Europe (including the Brits) as those same things.

The recent rash of it is from the French not going into Iraq like morons and that getting played up to hell by the Bush era conservatism thumping its idiot chest.
This led I think to a kind of knee jerk defensiveness from the progressive half of America to think of talking poo poo about France as a lovely American Thing, which is why you got accused of such.

What has been apparent to me is that while the "surrendering continental homo" thing is a very Anglo obsession, the stereotype of France as "vainglorious douchebags" is pretty common in Europe more generally, even if just as a casual joke thing.

Ultimately maybe what the US can't stand is having to deal with a fellow vainglorious douchebag (also what the UK can't stand I'd say).

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I have heard this before (from non-French people), and interestingly it's usually not from Anglos - most often the latter will either know literally nothing about Belgium, or have the basics down well enough. I have actually spoken to, or heard of, German people who thought that surely I must speak French since I said I was 'Belgian'. I try not to be offended, since I've long ceased to be surprised at people's ignorance. Probably the main causes for this are 1) Belgium's very real history of French supremacism, especially in the 19th century, and 2) the fact that French is the lingua franca in Brussels, with token official bilingualism in place at the best of times. Brussels is probably the least representative capital city in Europe, but I wouldn't necessarily expect a foreigner to know that.

It's one of the reasons I usually describe myself as 'Flemish' in international contexts these days. Either (often) they'll have no idea what you're talking about, and that can be an opening to explain more about yourself, or they do and then they immediately have a pretty good idea of what your background is.

Yes, Germans not from border states are just as ignorant of Belgium, but they have the excuse that our shared border is very small and Germany borders 9 countries, at least 4 of which they have very long and complicated historical ties with.

Phlegmish posted:

This is quite common, and once again not just a French thing. It's surprising as well, since you will never find that word used to refer to our language in any (official) Belgian context, but I have read or heard it so many times from foreigners completely unprompted. Again, two potential causes come to mind: 1) the nomenclature has historically often been filtered through French, and as you say they have their own Machiavellian reasons to divide all non-French languages endlessly, especially here where it also served to maintain the ascendancy of French in Belgium, and 2) ironically, the fact that 'Flemish' as a term has some residual historical prestige in certain languages and cultures. In some languages, the word for 'Dutch' is actually derived from 'Flemish'. For example, I'm not 100% on the etymology of the Turkish word Felemenkçe (Dutch), but it would be an extreme coincidence if that weren't the case there.

Cool. Another interesting quirk is that Norwegian is the only language except Dutch I know to differentiate between 'Nederland' (the modern-day Netherlands) and 'de Nederlanden' (the historical entirety of the Low Countries). I suspect that is because the bokmål standard was officialized when Norway became fully independent, at which point Belgium had already existed for close to a century.

Another anecdote I remember is from a Slovak student who claimed the Slovak word for 'party' is derived from the word for 'Fleming'. He told me that in the Middle Ages, Flemish labourers helped drain local swamps (as they did in modern-day Poland and Germany) and apparently had a reputation for partying hard. Hence, the word stuck.

i say swears online posted:

flemish i assume are stereotyped to be kind of hicks in the netherlands? a friend in noord-brabant gets made fun of because they say he's got a southern accent

Dutch (and French) stereotypes uniformly cast Belgians as dim-witted idiots, yes. Noord-Brabant lies south of the Rhine and borders Belgium, so Dutch people in that area get painted with more or less the same brush as the Flemings do. The accent of North Brabantians is not the same as the Flemish Brabantian accent though, but both dialects belong to the same family.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

SlothfulCobra posted:

The map thread is a lot more comprehensible if you have Tei on ignore, they never make much sense.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SimonSays posted:

The map thread is a lot more comprehensible if you have Tei on ignore, they never make much sense.

they've never made a post anywhere close to as bad as this one though

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

i say swears online posted:

So if/when Belgium dissolves, does it remain two smaller states in northern Europe, or gravitate to the Netherlands and France? I'm presuming the Catholic/Protestant divide between the Flemish and the Dutch is less important than it was in 1830, but then I don't know that for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probably about half as important.

Belief in God(s)

Belief in some sort of non-deity spirit/life force

None of the above