Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

pretty hilarious considering for example Germany, which has guns that don't shoot, helicopters that don't fly (and don'T have guns), tanks that don't drive and no way to get these things anywhere.
All this is saying is that France should go to war or something. Now that the UK is gone, the EU has no army besides that.

This is good, don't get me wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
France and the UK were the primary drivers behind interventions in Yugoslavia and Libya and certainly agitated for intervention in Syria. If France could define European foreign policy it would probably be as disastrous as Americas but I really don't think Germany, the Med or the East have much interest in military adventurism.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's a weird post tbh.

The German army is pretty well equipped and its readiness is completely fine for a peace time army. It is equipped as a defensive army to counter an equivtech opponent, so having a chaingun to light up reporters and children isn't really required on a helicopter.

It isn't set up to fight wars of aggression, but that's fine by me.

What's not fine is the endemic corruption of the CDU/CSU that has resulted in horrific mismanagement with private suppliers of replacement parts, but that's CDU/CSU for you.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
A division sized Rapid Reaction Force (which is usually whats argued for) of 2-3 brigades with logistical support makes a lot of sense. The debacle of the Afghanistan withdrawal shows how completely dependent on the US every European state is currently. Even countries that wanted to stay on longer to keep evacuating interpreters etc couldn't once the Americans decided on an end date, because every EU country is completely dependent on them.

This dependency while bad at the moment is only going to get worse when Trump or Ted Cruz or someone similarly insane gets into power in 2024 or 2028.

A RRF of 10-15k~ also isn't going to be used on some imperialist adventure to invade Iran or wherever. Its small enough to preclude such adventures, while still being large enough to protect EU interests in emergency situations as required. And if its staffed with actual EU citizens (unlike say the French Foreign Legion, which gets thrown around Africa because its casualties don't matter) its going to be casualty shy enough that its going to see far more use responding to natural disasters than getting shot at.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Celexi posted:

Portugal when I was a kid didn't even give nationality to a baby born in Portugal if the parents were undocumented, creating a vicious cycle of radicalization.
Even with that fixed nowadays, Portugal and most EU countries are worse than the US in immigration policies if you are not rich or have family.

With the UK and Australia fighting for the worst spot

Most countries just don't do jus soli at all, it's pretty much the former colonies where that made sense.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Antigravitas posted:

so having a chaingun to light up reporters and children isn't really required on a helicopter.

the best german quote

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blut posted:

A RRF of 10-15k~ also isn't going to be used on some imperialist adventure to invade Iran or wherever. Its small enough to preclude such adventures, while still being large enough to protect EU interests in emergency situations as required. And if its staffed with actual EU citizens (unlike say the French Foreign Legion, which gets thrown around Africa because its casualties don't matter) its going to be casualty shy enough that its going to see far more use responding to natural disasters than getting shot at.

It'll never happen though because it'd give the Commission something concrete to hold over member state parliaments.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Given the big 3 EU (FRA/ITA/GER) powers, and the EU bureaucracy itself, are in favour of it its highly likely to happen at some point. It just depends on when and in what form. That combination almost always get their way, even if it takes a while.

If/when the US gets another Trumpian president who dislikes NATO, likes Putin, and is heavily unilateral or isolationist that will probably give the project the support in the more middle-ground EU states that it needs to get it over the line.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Having a defensive force and one capable of power projection are two different things.
Like what we should be doing is a rapid response force and then the world's greatest engineer corps, cause the poo poo that's coming we wont need long range bombers and aircraft carriers.
Even protecting shipping lanes, which should be a multinational force task thing is being replaced by drone surveillance and quick strikes.
If someone looks at what happened in Syria , lybia and Afghanistan and the conclusion is "what we really need is a expeditionary force and a big airforce" they should have their head dunked in the toilet.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blut posted:

Given the big 3 EU (FRA/ITA/GER) powers, and the EU bureaucracy itself, are in favour of it its highly likely to happen at some point. It just depends on when and in what form. That combination almost always get their way, even if it takes a while.

If/when the US gets another Trumpian president who dislikes NATO, likes Putin, and is heavily unilateral or isolationist that will probably give the project the support in the more middle-ground EU states that it needs to get it over the line.

I don't think anyone can straddle the question of who gets to be in command though. If you say the commission/EU parliament then the EU will fracture to hell and back. If you say any member state then you really have achieved very little.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think anyone can straddle the question of who gets to be in command though. If you say the commission/EU parliament then the EU will fracture to hell and back. If you say any member state then you really have achieved very little.
Compromise: The EU military answers to the ECB.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Having a defensive force and one capable of power projection are two different things.
Like what we should be doing is a rapid response force and then the world's greatest engineer corps, cause the poo poo that's coming we wont need long range bombers and aircraft carriers.
Even protecting shipping lanes, which should be a multinational force task thing is being replaced by drone surveillance and quick strikes.
If someone looks at what happened in Syria , lybia and Afghanistan and the conclusion is "what we really need is a expeditionary force and a big airforce" they should have their head dunked in the toilet.

A RRF is exactly whats proposed, though. Nobody has ever suggested an expeditionary force for invasions or an EU airforce.

MiddleOne posted:

EUROFOR, the most similar example we have, was directly answerable to the WEU with no command and control issues. Any potential new EU-RRF would likely see itself run by a re-constituted WEU style body - ie a council of Defense ministers with day to day operations run by permanent staff.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Compromise: The EU military answers to the ECB.

After inscrutable bureaucracy somehow the Vatican ends up in charge.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Heads of state of the member states come together and elect a Kaiser. It worked for the holy Roman empire

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
"Worked"

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

One tiny thirty years war notwithstanding

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

One tiny thirty years war notwithstanding

Basically nothing by European standards

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Then we can have a tiny hundred years war with the Brits, it all comes together wonderfully!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can't wait to subscribe to Jeanne d'Arc's Instagram

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

After inscrutable bureaucracy somehow the Vatican ends up in charge.

After lots of bickering between member states it has been decided that the octopus that predicts football matches is in charge of the EU military.

Octopus has to pick between two boxes labeled "Sit still" and "Do nothing but say we did"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Hey the electors worked really hard to get all the bribes they got for their votes. Do you know how hard it is to be born the heir of a German principality?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Maybe a dumb suggestion, but couldn't there be a Commissioner for Defence, with Parliament ultimately approving or disapproving actions?

I also propose an official military marching song for the EU army, penned by an Austro-Hungarian composer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0&t=13s

As a side note, it never not has me in stitches that Fucik actually thought this would be a martial song to march into war to. It makes me depict Austro-Hungarian troops arriving in the trenches in oversized clown shoes, red wigs and on unicycles.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Maybe a dumb suggestion, but couldn't there be a Commissioner for Defence, with Parliament ultimately approving or disapproving actions?

I also propose an official military marching song for the EU army, penned by an Austro-Hungarian composer:

As a side note, it never not has me in stitches that Fucik actually thought this would be a martial song to march into war to. It makes me depict Austro-Hungarian troops arriving in the trenches in oversized clown shoes, red wigs and on unicycles.
I feel like it works if you imagine their opposition getting intimidated imagining how sure of their martial prowess the army marching to that must be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I mean, have you seen landskneckt outfits?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Problem is that nobody's gonna stand for the EU Parliament deciding lol it's war over whatever their own national Parliament said

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just do a referendum everytime, war yes or no?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Problem is that nobody's gonna stand for the EU Parliament deciding lol it's war over whatever their own national Parliament said

There is basically zero chance of the German population agreeing with sending a EU army on French colonial adventures in Africa. And there is probably zero chance of France agreeing on a federally controlled EU army that can't go on colonial adventures in Africa.

The only solution seems to be either for the French to give up their empire or for Germany to start getting its population into bloodlust again.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

The only front where Austria-Hungary was even a little bit competent during WW1 was the Italian front, everywhere else they might as well marched to this music dressed as clowns. It would have at least been a step up.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

*Dutch Delegate*: What if, now hear me out before you call me a racist fossil, we called the European Army the VoC and used our military might to secure the spice trade?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

An insane mind posted:

*Dutch Delegate*: What if, now hear me out before you call me a racist fossil, we called the European Army the VoC and used our military might to secure the spice trade?

But everyone in Central/Northern Europe is scared of spices more exotic than salt. :shrug:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We shall secure the Dill Islands with an iron, pickled fist

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GABA ghoul posted:

There is basically zero chance of the German population agreeing with sending a EU army on French colonial adventures in Africa. And there is probably zero chance of France agreeing on a federally controlled EU army that can't go on colonial adventures in Africa.

The only solution seems to be either for the French to give up their empire or for Germany to start getting its population into bloodlust again.

Couldn't we just have an army like this? Never does anything because all the arguments between the member states.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

gently caress off Batman posted:

The only front where Austria-Hungary was even a little bit competent during WW1 was the Italian front, everywhere else they might as well marched to this music dressed as clowns. It would have at least been a step up.

Yes, that's also one of the many reasons why that tune is hilarious.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

or for Germany to start getting its population into bloodlust again.

Paasikivi knew what he was talking about :eng99:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

An insane mind posted:

call them fremen, imo

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

That's a weird post tbh.

The German army is pretty well equipped and its readiness is completely fine for a peace time army. It is equipped as a defensive army to counter an equivtech opponent, so having a chaingun to light up reporters and children isn't really required on a helicopter.

It isn't set up to fight wars of aggression, but that's fine by me.

What's not fine is the endemic corruption of the CDU/CSU that has resulted in horrific mismanagement with private suppliers of replacement parts, but that's CDU/CSU for you.

the less shooty stuff they have that actually works, the less likely they are to lobby, whilst bored, that perhaps we should try out our shooty stuff in <poor country X> - see France.

the fact that they didn't build a gun into our attack helicopter has literally saved hundreds of lives, if not more considering what a joke rear end outfit the Bundeswehr is. And a good portion of the Bundeswehr today are the people who signed up to finally become a soldier or something after school. And not to be mean, but we all know from experience they were always the dumbest motherfuckers in class. If you don't run like hell after your first experience at Musterung, you aren't right in the head.

I know the argument is different in the US where it's the only way to ever see a college from the inside for a good deal of people, but here college is free and not even such a good deal compared to dual/Ausbildung etc.
Our soldiers are people who looked at this disfunctional mess of an army and decided out of their own free will that yes, this is the way to go.

if anybody thinks shooting poor people dead in foreign countries is cool and noble, please just pick a country other than Germany. Seriously just emigrate. France is right there, and you can like join today and be in Africa tomorrow.

We'll have our four guys driving, refilling, and driving some old tanks and drinking beers. Which is 99% of what the Bundeswehr is.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Haramstufe Rot posted:

...they were always the dumbest motherfuckers in class...

We'll have our four guys driving, refilling, and driving some old tanks and drinking beers. Which is 99% of what the Bundeswehr is.

Sounds like they outsmarted you by far. They don't even have to risk their lives to get payed and have the best of time.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Probably eligible for a pretty decent pension in their late 40s too, 20 years before the rest of the population these days.

Its a pretty good career choice for working class people even in the EU - theres still the opportunity to get lots of technical skills, live a fairly easy, very stable, life, and get a pension very early in most EU armies.

Sure its not as useful for university benefits as the US, but theres far far less chance of being killed by impoverished brown people for the sake of imperialism. Thats a trade I think most people would take.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

It's also basically a job for life if you make nco or above, pretty sweet advantages in home loans,early retirement, dedicated health coverage, you can basically do post-grads and doctorates for free and depending on your specialty you can jump into the private sector after 12-15 years if you are somewhat bored/looking for a bigger pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well this thread's been dead for a little while,
Let's look at some new news in the grand ole Europe

Rotterdam police guns down protestors in an anti covid lockdown protest.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/rotterdam-mayor-slams-violent-covid-19-protests-scores-arrested-2021-11-20/