Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
So like writing a BGP daemon in D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I decided to take an offer for a fully remote principal backend engineer / architect role in the Denver area.

My current role is a senior dev / team lead for a big Midwestern logistics company where I’ve been for 11 years. I currently make 110k base with about 130 TC and the new position is 162k base/178k TC. My current company did not counter after I mentioned I was 90% sure i would take the job unless they could match, which they can’t.

I feel like this thread and the interviewing thread have been really helpful to see what I could push for, and being more confident in negotiating. This isn’t the eye-watering figgies that some other folks are looking for, but it’s a huge material change for me and I’m very satisfied with both the offer and the role.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hell yeah that's the good poo poo, congrats

i like hearing from people who are living normal (if extremely privileged, that's a lot of money!) human lives. doing weird poo poo chasing figgies at the expense of everything decent (see olive oil) needs a counterbalance of "making good money, enjoying life, not scheming"

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The only reason I chased figgies like I did this time around is because I'm insecure and wanted to max my comp once just to prove to myself I could get that absurd salary. It's pretty sad tbh but at least I realize it I guess lol

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

yard salad posted:

I decided to take an offer for a fully remote principal backend engineer / architect role in the Denver area.

My current role is a senior dev / team lead for a big Midwestern logistics company where I’ve been for 11 years. I currently make 110k base with about 130 TC and the new position is 162k base/178k TC. My current company did not counter after I mentioned I was 90% sure i would take the job unless they could match, which they can’t.

I feel like this thread and the interviewing thread have been really helpful to see what I could push for, and being more confident in negotiating. This isn’t the eye-watering figgies that some other folks are looking for, but it’s a huge material change for me and I’m very satisfied with both the offer and the role.

Congrats! So you live / plan to live in the Denver area? I'd meet up with coding goons sometime when there isn't a pandemic.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Good Will Hrunting posted:

The only reason I chased figgies like I did this time around is because I'm insecure and wanted to max my comp once just to prove to myself I could get that absurd salary. It's pretty sad tbh but at least I realize it I guess lol

I mean it's also just a good idea while you're young. The more you can shove into retirement accounts now the better off you'll be later. Even you just discover that you really need 100k for something dire and urgent, being able to say "well I'll pay a 10% penalty (and maybe taxes depending on the type of account) and that'll suck but I can swing it" is a good feeling.

I did a really bad job at that early on and was starting to regret it, but then I got a consolation prize when my mom died in the form of IRAs so that caught me up nicely. I'd rather have the mom than the money, of course.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Hiram Grewgious posted:

hell yeah that's the good poo poo, congrats

i like hearing from people who are living normal (if extremely privileged, that's a lot of money!) human lives. doing weird poo poo chasing figgies at the expense of everything decent (see olive oil) needs a counterbalance of "making good money, enjoying life, not scheming"

Thanks! A lot of my desire for a new job was out of a desire for professional growth, but I’m no saint. The figgies were a big part of it, and also why I chose programming in the first place. But I feel good knowing that I negotiated well and found a role that matches my goals and experience. Knowing that other people are pulling down 250k and more for senior dev jobs used to give me serious FOMO, but I think my offer is more than fair and I think I’ll be happier here than if I tried to chase a FAANG

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Congrats! So you live / plan to live in the Denver area? I'd meet up with coding goons sometime when there isn't a pandemic.

I still plan to live in Omaha, but i know at least one other Denver coding goon and I’m sure there’s more

exe cummings fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 17, 2021

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Congratulations, indeed! Those are not smoll numbers.

I frequently have to remind myself that making non-figgieland numbers is still a lot of monies, especially considering that my family lived off of like $50/mo (my dad's paycheck at the time) for a while when I was a kid. Not in US, of course.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Eyeballing a recent cost of living index it looks like Omaha:San Francisco is roughly 2:3, so your 178K could be seen as equivalent to 267K in silicon valley.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Paolomania posted:

Eyeballing a recent cost of living index it looks like Omaha:San Francisco is roughly 2:3, so your 178K could be seen as equivalent to 267K in silicon valley.

sounds about right, so thats a solid 70th percentile, all told, even compared to glorious insanity

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Paolomania posted:

That seems low. This COL website puts it more like 1:3 https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/omaha-ne/san-francisco-ca/100000, which is obviously largely influenced by housing. Overall tax burden, I'd imagine is much lower in NE.

Making $170k in somewhere like Omaha, as a single-earner, has to put you in the top couple percent of income. You're extremely well-off compared the rest of the area.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
How do I deal with the imposter syndrome of starting at a company paying me large figgies, substantially larger and more impactful than anywhere I've worked, that does extremely sensitive things?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

B-Nasty posted:

That seems low. This COL website puts it more like 1:3 https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/omaha-ne/san-francisco-ca/100000, which is obviously largely influenced by housing. Overall tax burden, I'd imagine is much lower in NE.

Making $170k in somewhere like Omaha, as a single-earner, has to put you in the top couple percent of income. You're extremely well-off compared the rest of the area.

rental yield is 12% in omaha and 3% in sf so if and only if you rent the delta is much more like 2:3. anyone who can rent in sf can buy in omaha, ofc, prolly in cash

technically 1% percentile in SF (single income) is 160k cash but nobody asks about total comp in these sorts of dealios - a mistake for putertouchers. Omaha single income I could only find household: that's 185k and SF income household is 250k, so 2:3 on that front too

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 17, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

How do I deal with the imposter syndrome of starting at a company paying me large figgies, substantially larger and more impactful than anywhere I've worked, that does extremely sensitive things?

if you find out let me know

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Talk to your manager about expectations for 3 months, 6 months and a year and then believe them when they tell you how you're doing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What asur said and also

Jose Valasquez posted:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
goin to plutocrat school worked for me :shrug:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

With only medium toucher figgies but still:

Jose Valasquez posted:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
700k is a huge and nice house in omaha, 700k is not as huge and nice house in sf

barkbell fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 17, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

barkbell posted:

700k is a huge and nice house in omaha, 700k is not a huge and nice house in sf

2 million is enough to retire on anywhere you go cuz you just move after you retire

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
3 million is my "I wouldn't work anymore" money, but I realize that not everyone lives like me and that's a far too low number for a lot of people. I also realize people don't understand how the stock market works in general, but people in this thread probably understand that Number Only Goes Up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so really the question is how much you believe owning real estate should figure in your life. i believe all land should be expropriated so dont listen to me if you have a little realtor homonculus in your heart of hearts

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
i wanna sleep near a beach 50% of the year, and sleep near a breezy lake the other 50%, exporpriate me daddy as long as you leave me with those simple aspects of life

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

so really the question is how much you believe owning real estate should figure in your life. i believe all land should be expropriated so dont listen to me if you have a little realtor homonculus in your heart of hearts

I have a small house by Omaha standards in a historic neighborhood that I'm happy with. I don't/won't have kids, so I don't have to play the square footage / white-flight school district game. I'm staying in Omaha because it's close to my wife's family, her job, and closer to my family in Iowa. Also, the yacht club fees are much more reasonable here :sureboat:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

3 million is my "I wouldn't work anymore" money, but I realize that not everyone lives like me and that's a far too low number for a lot of people. I also realize people don't understand how the stock market works in general, but people in this thread probably understand that Number Only Goes Up

3 mil at a very safe (indefinite length) withdraw rate of 3% would be $90K/year. Almost double the median household income. Since you wouldn't be tied to an expensive location for work or have to pay commuting costs or childcare costs, it would be more than enough unless your lifestyle is massively inflated.

Anyone that wouldn't at least consider FIRE at that level is living in a land of delusion. It's many multiples of what most people will earn in their lifetime.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Yeah as figgie poster primo said it's all about real estate desires

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Let it be said that i'm super into the appropriation of rent and/or land. it's just that until that happens, I really want to stop paying the parasites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzgj6pH0Aq0&t=3310s

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

B-Nasty posted:

3 mil at a very safe (indefinite length) withdraw rate of 3% would be $90K/year. Almost double the median household income. Since you wouldn't be tied to an expensive location for work or have to pay commuting costs or childcare costs, it would be more than enough unless your lifestyle is massively inflated.

Anyone that wouldn't at least consider FIRE at that level is living in a land of delusion. It's many multiples of what most people will earn in their lifetime.

The median household lives a garbage lifestyle nowadays thanks to rent skyrocketing anywhere worth living.

And double garbage is still just garbage.

And most people are either dumb or have no opportunities. Very few have both opportunity and intelligence. If you have both then you should rightfully make many multiples of what others earn in a lifetime, otherwise you're wasting your opportunity and your intelligence which is pretty much unforgivable considering how many people would dream of having those.

The fact you can code means you're probably at least 95iq, so be more ambitious.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
u sound like an rear end in a top hat

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oliveoil posted:

The median household lives a garbage lifestyle nowadays thanks to rent skyrocketing anywhere worth living.

And most people are either dumb or have no opportunities. Very few have both opportunity and intelligence. If you have both then you should rightfully make many multiples of what others earn in a lifetime, otherwise you're wasting your opportunity and your intelligence which is pretty much unforgivable considering how many people would dream of having those.

The fact you can code means you're probably at least 95iq, so be more ambitious.

are you a gimmick? it's so rare to meet someone with this combination of dumb, terrible, and full of oneself. i guess i never figured that the people on hackernews _really_ believed the stupid poo poo they said but here we are

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
You're capable of more than you think. Sorry if that truth hurts.

Something Awful in general is full of smart people convincing themselves they're mediocre people who shouldn't try to do anything unless an average person could do it.

Toxic humility.

I hoped a thread full of figgie folks would be a little less humble but alas

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 18, 2021

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Years of training have prepared me for this moment:

:frogout:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

oliveoil posted:

You're capable of more than you think. Sorry if that truth hurts.

your work does not matter, sorry if that truth hurts

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You don't need to earn multiples of the media household income if you move out of a VHCoL area and no longer want to save 50% of it.

Also 90k from investments is paying single digit percentages or nothing in fed taxes which makes it comparable to around 120k in income.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

oliveoil posted:

Have you considered that if you just don't gamble it might be enough money?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
It was enough for me but I figured if I multiplied that I could do things to help people rather than live a quiet life of leisure.

Since then I've realized the world is going to a scary place and I can't do a thing about it. Oh well.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Lol heart of gold and not a gambling addiction.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Why not both? Put my strengths to good use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I've been saying in CoC Discord that he's a troll