Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

feizhouxiongdi2 posted:

also someone bought TWO parody ads of our original ads for the podcast....the one that says "A Subforum with Terrible Mods and Posters"...and the chinese on the and says "Mods are pedophiles."

Obviously im not a mod...and im not sure if the ad was approved with the mods understanding the chinese message...but I JUST WANT TO MAKE A DISCLAIMER.

We at Chinese Characteristics cannot confirm or deny that the moderators are pedophiles. THE AD IS NOT BY US.

So you're just making sure that Mods Know?

Edit: a shameful snipe

Atopian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

that's like a "pm an admin" kinda issue

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Atopian posted:

So you're just making sure that Mods Know?

well you know it seems to me that its very complicated on this site to keep track of who's a pedophile and who isn't

and who knows who's a pedophile and who is a mod

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

More shittier ads are coming because someone figured out the cheapest ad is 8 bucks while just loving up someone's avatar costs 10

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

At least it links to D&D.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I've no idea if these ads are pro or anti-china thread, but it's heartwarming to see that everyone from the normalest normal person to the tankiest cspam wanker knows that the somethingawful forums moderators are paedophiles.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

500 good dogs posted:

the GBS China thread is incredibly racist and xenophobic, hope this helps OP

e: this is not an endorsing emptyquote. the opposite.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

i don't read cspam or d&d but I think that ad is pretty funny

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

feizhouxiongdi2 posted:

well you know it seems to me that its very complicated on this site to keep track of who's a pedophile and who isn't

You can spot them easily because they have a star next to their name

EDIT: MINE is the anarchy symbol and not a star!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What ad's this? I'm just getting the goontube ad with Shrek being molested by the fairy godmother.

e: And of course the second I post this it comes out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys see ads? Lol it's 2021

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

Going there for the first time, I saw rubbish in the streets, people spitting, and people begging, I never saw that in Tokyo

I have fond memories taking the train umeda station listening to liz fair on my iriver mp3 player.

but watching a older japanese man pee into the gutter with a younger dude helping to hold his pee pee that was something.

I miss lawson....I miss the selection at the vending machines....I dont really miss anything else

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

that's life

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Gaius Marius posted:

You guys see ads? Lol it's 2021

first-party forums ads are on an SA server and typical adblock rulesets don't care about them, so unless you specifically block the element, they're still there

i don't bother blocking them since they aint tracking poo poo, are quite unobtrusive, and contain a decent amount of promotions for interesting threads

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
*in Hacker News voice* "I like targeted advertisement, as it surfaces interesting products to me!"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve never had a chance to try a moon cake before and someone brought these into work.

I guess it’s for Tuesday or something?

Anyway he’s from the Philippines and his Chinese neighbor gave them to him. He said they are poo poo and that’s why he brought them to work lol.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve never had a chance to try a moon cake before and someone brought these into work.

Anyway he’s from the Philippines and his Chinese neighbor gave them to him. He said they are poo poo and that’s why he brought them to work lol.

Just seeing that picture gave me PTSD flashbacks.

Like, just having one is bad, by the end it's boxes and boxes of the things you get that no one sane will help you eat.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

MarcusSA posted:

Mid Autumn festival is Tuesday, September 21st this year.

As someone who likes lotus paste mooncakes, most brands are god awful. More often than not, the crust is dry and crumbly or the lotus paste tastes like sugary play doh. The two reliable brands I've found are Maxim's/Mei Xin or Kee Wah, which sucks because a box from either is about $50.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I remember going to my first lunar festival celebration night at college, me a kid from an extremely homogenous white christian community that had never even heard of that poo poo before. Somebody said that they had 'moon cakes' and drat, that sounded so delicious. Absolutely disgusting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am one of the very few people I know (Chinese or otherwise) who likes mooncakes and I don't even like mooncakes that much. The fruitcakes of China. Got to try one if you haven't though.

Generally speaking the sesame paste or the duck egg yolk ones are the most likely to be good. If you do find yourself liking it keep in mind one mooncake is approximately 10,000 calories so take it easy.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Grand Fromage posted:

I am one of the very few people I know (Chinese or otherwise) who likes mooncakes and I don't even like mooncakes that much. The fruitcakes of China. Got to try one if you haven't though.

Generally speaking the sesame paste or the duck egg yolk ones are the most likely to be good. If you do find yourself liking it keep in mind one mooncake is approximately 10,000 calories so take it easy.

I'm with you here. There have been mooncakes I didn't like all that much (though the duck egg yolk ones, I don't hate it, they just aren't two flavors that go together for me) but most of them I've eaten I've liked. They're not the world's best cake but they're pretty good, just really loving dense. I feel like you could survive off in the mountains for quite a while with one of those mooncake gift packs.

I don't think I've had the sesame paste ones though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

keep in mind one mooncake is approximately 10,000 calories so take it easy.

Lol are you serious? I figured they were like an angel food type of cake.

I am waiting till later tonight when I go have some coffee to try the thing.

He did say they weren’t a cheap brand though because the guy that gave them to him has money and wouldn’t cheap out on them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MarcusSA posted:

Lol are you serious? I figured they were like an angel food type of cake.

I am waiting till later tonight when I go have some coffee to try the thing.

He did say they weren’t a cheap brand though because the guy that gave them to him has money and wouldn’t cheap out on them.

They are bricks. The size you posted is probably 750-1000 calories each depending on the fillings.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

They are bricks. The size you posted is probably 750-1000 calories each depending on the fillings.

Jesus ok. I’ll probably only eat half and make my wife try the other half lol.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I kind of like moon cakes the one time of the year when you get them, but yeah they definitely are nothing like what someone from the decadent west would consider cake. They're like someone took a plain pop-tart and filled it with a clif bar.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 19, 2021

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The moon cakes in that photo look like the most terrible generic variety, just judging by the packaging which doesn't appear to even be branded?

The egg custard ones you can get now with the liquid custard filling that drips out of the centre are excellent.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This year my wife bought some fancy ones where the egg yolk was flattened into a layer so you get some in every bite instead of one corner that's all egg.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

If you or someone in your family insists on blowing a bunch of money on moon cakes, the pro move is to get the Haagen Dazs frozen ones.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The purpose of mooncakes is to immediately regift them to someone else before the festival ends isn't it?

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Porfiriato posted:

If you or someone in your family insists on blowing a bunch of money on moon cakes, the pro move is to get the Haagen Dazs frozen ones.

it is an ice-cream cake not moon cake, cut that crap please

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Porfiriato posted:

Something I never knew about but now I want to try.

I got one mooncake from a coworker and I choked it down because I was hungry. The thing about "getting one bite of bland and one bite of just egg yolk" is spot on.

I had another coworker, the military officer of the school, hand out those japanese style pancake tarts with vanilla creme inside and everyone scarfed those down.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Zakrello posted:

it is an ice-cream cake not moon cake

exactly.

EXACTLY.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
There is a certain variety of mooncake that just has pork in it.

They're really good and way better than the sweet ones. I think it might be a regional thing?

They look like this:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m getting the feeling that moon cakes are a land of contrasts

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Ups_rail posted:

I have fond memories taking the train umeda station listening to liz fair on my iriver mp3 player.

but watching a older japanese man pee into the gutter with a younger dude helping to hold his pee pee that was something.

I miss lawson....I miss the selection at the vending machines....I dont really miss anything else

Should make a Japanese film based on it, but the mans lifelong dream is to piss off the Umeda Sky Biru, and his young friend has to both steady and guide him.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Soft skin mooncakes y'all. There's a whole variety of flavours and if you get the mini ones there's even less of it to eat. Also the trick is to cut into eights or more and share it with family/friends/work.

The best ones are the deep fried flaky skin yam paste mooncakes.

Anyway as someone who does mid-autumn every year, a lot of the fun is checking out and snagging the packaging the mooncakes come in. One of my colleagues received a mooncake box that had a chessboard design sunken in just below the lid and it came with mini chess pieces.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Moon Cake time!

Definitely a heavy rear end cake!

The center isn’t exactly what I was expecting.

Ok so I don’t actually hate it? I wish it were maybe 10% sweeter though but overall it’s not bad! The center kinda reminds me of a fig bar center (with less seeds).

I only ate half of it though as it’s really dense and it would be nicer if it were sweeter.

Not bad and would probably try it again but wouldn’t go out of my way to buy it.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Is the filling translucent and jelly-like? It looks like you got a winter melon mooncake.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

There are many kinds.

Quarter of a moon cake is sufficient. Half is too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CIGNX posted:

Is the filling translucent and jelly-like? It looks like you got a winter melon mooncake.

Not really. It seemed more brown and think like tamarind paste?

It almost tasted like an empanada?

Steakandchips posted:

There are many kinds.

Quarter of a moon cake is sufficient. Half is too much.

Yeah a quarter would have been fine but I ate half trying to decide what I liked and didn’t like about it.

Overall not bad honestly. It was super dense though and getting through half wasn’t easy.