Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.journalgazette.net/news/local/20181223/did-the-library-toss-14-million-books

sometimes busybodies like to make it into a real issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I appreciate all the weeding talk going on, as I currently sort out a few large donations from retiring faculty members at the university that I work at as a health sciences librarian. While the sentiment behind the "gifts" are nice, these people should really know better than to load us up with medical, educational, and health science books whose information has clearly gone out of date a ways back. But no, and now I find myself look through boxes of old nursing texts and speech language pathology books who barely have any value beyond maybe a historical one, and that is of course nearly enough to consider any kind of shelf space.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 13, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Drimble Wedge posted:

I think a lot of people confuse dumping books with somehow removing them from the culture. Pulping twenty yellowing copies of Catcher In The Rye doesn't exactly keep the book from the public. Think of all the videotapes and DVDs which were lost or destroyed when video stores closed; no one seems to be panicking about A Streetcar Named Desire or Jurassic Park being lost from civilization now.

I think you mean Jurassic World? Unless Jurassic Park is another one that I’ve not heard of.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Honestly I would be fascinated to see how the knowledge, approaches and common opinions evolved over time, but I can also see why it wouldn't be worth it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thanks for all the weeding chat over the past couple of days. It's made me take a look at my own overstuffed collection, and realize that more than half of these books have done nothing but collect dust for a zillion years, and have no realistic prospect of being opened in the future. It still feels wrong to throw away a book, but you're right -- they aren't sacred artifacts.

Time for an aggressive cull. For a first pass, I think I'll use a criterion of "If this book mysteriously vanished one night, would I ever even notice, let alone miss it?" I'll box up and donate anything that stands a ghost of a chance of being wanted by my local library but just recycle anything that's obviously junk.

And now I'm reminded of a definition I once heard for "interior decorating": "What people who don't read do with all that space."

Also:

Red Oktober posted:

I think you mean Jurassic World? Unless Jurassic Park is another one that I’ve not heard of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik0BPKM9WQg&t=22s

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
One of the librarians I know only owns ten books. I've been packing for a move recently and halved my own collection but i still have a couple hundred.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I think the collection shrinking by a third is significant, but this person has missed the point by making it into a weeding issue instead of a "we have no budget to buy new titles" issue

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Red Oktober posted:

I’m not sure if this is sarcasm or not. The book Jurassic Park is by Michael Crichton and was a bestseller before the movie was conceived.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

therobit posted:

I’m not sure if this is sarcasm or not. The book Jurassic Park is by Michael Crichton and was a bestseller before the movie was conceived.

Also, the CGI dinos quality completely annihilates CGI anything made even 20 years later. The TRex scenes still blow me away with how realistic they look, move, and react.

I still don’t know how the filmmakers pulled that off using technology available my senior year of high school (1993 release).

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It's mostly not CGI is how. They actually built hydraulic powered motherfuckin' dinosaurs.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I remember when Terminator 2 came out and even though I wasn’t old enough or allowed by my mother my dad took me to see it because he heard how great the special effects were gonna be with the CGI. And they were impressive for the time but the last time I watched it I was cracking up that we thought that was any good.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

I still don’t know how the filmmakers pulled that off using technology available my senior year of high school (1993 release).

Giant animatronic dinosaurs, that's how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4J9TBlFxAg

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Khizan posted:

Giant animatronic dinosaurs, that's how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4J9TBlFxAg

And when they switched to CGI, they used the animatronics for lighting reference

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Just compare The Thing to anything released after it that didn't bother to do practical. That poo poo still looks good.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

King of False Promises posted:

Just compare The Thing to anything released after it that didn't bother to do practical. That poo poo still looks good.

You folks are right: kinda like Ronin (De Niro one) has awesome loving car chases, like the Bourne movies. That stuff was chopped up, edited, and ultimately just stuntmen and cinematography/photography folks who knew how to take it to the limits of realistic-looking effects. I was born in ‘74 (my first theater movie experience was my third birthday was Star Wars and I never realized the animatronics we still such a big part of JP.

Hell, I still know how to use a card catalog and the Dewey Decimal system to find books & articles passed to me by friends so I can keep current with newer stuff in our field! I have learned the joys of digital libraries because of Covid, though, and I was able to read all of Stark’s Parker novels (all 24) which I had zero chance finding them all in a B&M library!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ante posted:

It's mostly not CGI is how. They actually built hydraulic powered motherfuckin' dinosaurs.

Yep and the bits which ARE CGI, like long shots of dinosaurs walking the plains early on, it really shows.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's presumably this:

https://twitter.com/1mikaelams/status/1424768200370229252

I actually first found this reply:

https://twitter.com/QueenOfRats/status/1425084148281012226

And there are tons of replies from actual librarians trying to explain things, which at least seem to be getting more priority in my feed of the thing.

Those are all olllllllllld. Like, that copy of Romeo and Juliet is the same one I had around 2000-2003. They all look really yellowed, so odds are a lot of them are brittle and stinky, too, besides the broken spines and dog-eared pages.

Anyway, weeding is common, and unless a library is specifically an archival library, they should not keep old crap no one is reading. My library gives weeded material to Better World Books and the stuff that is legit falling apart and nasty goes in a dumpster. If there's still a place for it in the collection, we'll buy a new copy at some point. But most public libraries are not archival, and some high school's library for sure is not.

e: I was going to gripe about the laziness of not removing the plastic on a book, but then I remembered that nearly all school libraries get any processing done by a vendor or service, so they probably just never circulated at all.

CynCyanide fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 15, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Regarding outdated books, some that stand out at used bookstores are late 80s populist economic writings about how we need to fear the Japanese taking over the world and buying all our skyscrapers. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples but those come to mind as not even being interesting from a novelty perspective. Would stuff like that or like "Windows 95 for Dummies" be automatically bound for the pulp mill?

I have been enjoying using Hoopla and Libby. Hoopla is excellent for comics and I like how it gives you 10 borrows a month and a 500 page collection counts as one. I think someone mentioned Overdrive and I had used that but it was a bit clunky, but Libby is fantastic. Great UI, especially the little "thanks buddy!" if you return something early someone else has on hold.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Libby has been great, especially since a lot of nearby library systems were giving away online-only library cards last year without no paperwork required.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I've been catching up on old podcast episodes and this one from Lie, Cheat & Steal will be of interest to the thread:

Kath tells Pat about James Richard Shinn the library-hopping book bandit who pilfered rare tomes from literary institutions all over America.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I received a draft for an "info leaflet" with what's supposed to be the most basic info to hand out to new students and patrons but it's four solid pages of text. Trying to edit it down to leaflet proportions but it's like trying to put the Great Wall of China in your garden. World's first leaflet to need an index.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Saw this over in PYF Tweets and thought of y'all:

I'll never forget how disgusted we all were when the high muckity-mucks at my library system decided that we needed to rename our Bookmobile to the "Mobile Library Services Vehicle". Because some marketing douchebag probably thought it had "branding" or "synergy" or some other buzzword. Yeah, I'm sure all the kids in the lovely neighborhoods we went to were just clamoring to visit the "Mobile Library Services Vehicle", not "the Bookmobile". :rolleyes:

I haven't forgotten the roots of this thread, being weirdos in libraries, and just yesterday I thought of one --- this time involving a staff member. Remind me to tell y'all about Fiona.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Tell us about Fiona.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'll never forget how disgusted we all were when the high muckity-mucks at my library system decided that we needed to rename our Bookmobile to the "Mobile Library Services Vehicle".

Ah yes because mobiles are what Da KiDz use to play Snake on :v:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Got called a commie-Nazi for trying to enforce a reintroduced mask mandate this week :smith:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Triskelli posted:

Got called a commie-Nazi for trying to enforce a reintroduced mask mandate this week :smith:

I keep getting this from patrons as well. gently caress em.

I'm not changing the rules. You want to come in, you wear a mask. Kill my other patrons somewhere else.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I love seeing anti-maskers die, it's my daily medicine, my weekly energy, my monthly inspiration and my yearly motivation. Their loss is the only reason I'm still alive; I was born to love and enjoy the failure that they have achieved. What are people that stupid doing in a library anyway?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Who's ready for banned books week?

https://twitter.com/delrayser/status/1438606219430662144

quote:

“Not going to lie, I had to google ‘cornhole,’ because I have the game in the back of my yard, but according to Wikipedia, ‘cornhole is a sexual slang vulgarism for anus. The term came into use in the 1910s in the United States. Its verb form, to cornhole, which came into use in the ‘30s, means ‘to have anal sex.’”

[...]

“I do not want my children to learn about anal sex in middle school. I have never had anal sex. I don’t want to have anal sex. I don’t want my kids having anal sex. I want you to start focusing on education and not public health.”

Edit: Ah yes, this lady

https://twitter.com/jfreewright/status/1384177048030089227

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 17, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Wow thats strong Karen energy.

70% sure her google results are tailored to her profile. like a fresh profile on google and duckdcuk show the game, the wikipedia page has just the game and a Cornhole (disambiguation)link at the top of the page.

Like she's chose to get this knowledge.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Some Whacko posted:

“I do not want my children to learn about anal sex in middle school. I have never had anal sex. I don’t want to have anal sex. I don’t want my kids having anal sex. I want you to start focusing on education and not public health.”

Where else am I going to learn about anal sex? I don't want to ask my parents.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

My "I have never had anal sex. I don’t want to have anal sex." shirt is generating a lot of questions already answered by the shirt

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I have to admit I had only ever known the game as "bean bag toss" growing up in the South but I knew about the other meaning of the word so when my first job said the annual picnic would have a "cornhole tournament" I had to privately ask my office mate what the hell was going on.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Off-topic, but has anyone worked in Digitization before? We're talking digitizing older collections and putting them on the internet, basic cataloguing, tracking down copyright permissions, etc. Did you enjoy it? Are there a lot of careers in this type of work?

I have a job offer for such a position (for something like 8 months). It's tricky as I'm interviewing for a few other Metadata Library Assistant jobs that seem more interesting to me + can be done remotely + might prepare me better for a future cataloguing job. I'd probably confidently turn down this job offer if I thought I had a chance at one of the other jobs, but it's hard to say.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What exactly is the job, because I've had a digitization job and it was mind-numbing grunt work that impacted years of my life beyond the duration of the contract and probably cost me a good bit of sanity.

They literally had me upload files all day and watch the progress bar. Eventually the scanning department fell behind and there were no more files. So they had me enter chapter headings in the uploaded files, which was almost worse. Maybe it was the way that particular institution was run but I've never been so glad to end a job.

Could be pretty interesting on the presentation or copyright research side of things, sure.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 19, 2021

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Captain Monkey posted:

Tell us about Fiona.

!!!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Terribly out of order and most of them ought to be withdrawn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Captain Mediocre posted:

Terribly out of order and most of them ought to be withdrawn.

Also there's no way that's a real copy of IT. loving thing is 900 pages in hardback.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

As well as that, "Steven"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

As well as that, "Steven"

I missed that in my phone. But also right next to it a misspelling of Nevil Shute.