Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

been a hard week at work at my job where I fill water jugs ready to ship with buttermilk just long enough that they leave a faintly unsettling flavor in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

jetz0r posted:

just steal some 5 gal water jugs from work

why have I never thought of this, you are like sherlock holmes

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I have one‐gallon cubes and for some reason they taste faintly of spoiled milk.

This could be a lactobacillus infection - very common with home brewers and such. Like another poster mentioned clean it out, but with bleach or something antimicrobial

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My water containers smell faintly of spoiled milk because they are actually old milk jugs. :ssh:

They don’t really smell because I washed them out as soon as I finished the milk and I don’t use them for potable water anyway.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It's more like jugable anyways

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

just buy the 99 cent water jugs you animals.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I have a bottle of iodine tincture that can theoretically transform the water from nearby creeks and lakes into thousands of liters of drinking water that also tastes kinda nasty

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Lacrosse posted:

I have 5 gallon water cubes I take camping. They own

what are these water cube things?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CODChimera posted:

what are these water cube things?

These are pretty much the go to. They're sturdy, stackable, and have a spigot on the inside of the cap.

https://relianceoutdoors.com/products/water-pak-5g-20l

The 7 gal ones by the same company bulge out when full and you can't stack them, plus the 5s are way easier to lug around.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr. Lobe posted:

I have a bottle of iodine tincture that can theoretically transform the water from nearby creeks and lakes into thousands of liters of drinking water that also tastes kinda nasty

can I use betadine if that’s all I got?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

You can barter the betadine to womenfolk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG19Fb3mfEg

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Oldest Man posted:

These are pretty much the go to. They're sturdy, stackable, and have a spigot on the inside of the cap.

https://relianceoutdoors.com/products/water-pak-5g-20l

The 7 gal ones by the same company bulge out when full and you can't stack them, plus the 5s are way easier to lug around.

how long can you keep the water inside before needing to change it?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mawarannahr posted:

Technically it works, just very slowly?

I need to keep a stockpile of betadine anyway so I looked it up.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
in some good weather news here in KS it's going to finally become fall next week, so I get to look forward to the 2 weeks every fall that I can keep my windows open all day and night and get the goon stink out of my house

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Virigoth posted:

just buy the 99 cent water jugs you animals.

Those have either bad caps or bad handles, plus they’re made of PET.

Milk jugs are just made better and made with superior HDPE.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

mawarannahr posted:

At a ratio of 1:1000, yes.

Just give it 15 minutes after application. Itll still taste kinda bad though I bet, if it's like the iodine tincture.

I hear you can neutralize the iodine taste with vitamin c, but you should do so only after completing the disinfection. And then, be sure to wash out the container before using it for further purification as residual vitamin c can negate the effects of further iodine

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
stupid nothingburger volcano

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

west nile virus cases are way up in ny this year after all the rain
its mosquito heaven right now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Real hurthling! posted:

It’s endemic.

You’re not supposed to pay attention to West Nile virus in any way.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

breathe the helicopter spray, citizen

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Real hurthling! posted:

This decade is likely going to herald the arrival of malaria to North America. Or at least the tropical zones.

I, for one, look forward to every commercial break trying to convince me that I'm doing myself a terrible disservice by taking *generic* anti-malarials, and that I should get my A.C.T. together and talk to MY doctor about Artemisinin Combination Therapy! :shepface:

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 02:08 on Sep 20, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

how long can you keep the water inside before needing to change it?

6 months if it's regular tap and you keep in out of sunlight, or 5+ years if you put about a half teaspoon of bleach in the container per https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-drinking-water/emergency-disinfection-drinking-water (note that this will also make the water taste like poo poo) before you drink it later.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Sep 20, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This decade is likely going to herald the arrival of malaria to North America. Or at least the tropical zones.

I, for one, look forward to every commercial break trying to convince me that I'm doing myself a terribly disservice by taking *generic* anti-malarials, and that I should get my A.C.T. together and talk to MY doctor about Artemisinin combination therapy! :shepface:

stock up on tonic water now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I, for one, look forward to every commercial break trying to convince me that I'm doing myself a terrible disservice by taking *generic* anti-malarials, and that I should get my A.C.T. together and talk to MY doctor about Artemisinin Combination Therapy! :shepface:

You mean the return of malaria to the United States.

It was brought from the Old World before the U.S. was formed. It was endemic in large areas of the country till shortly after the Second World War.

During that war, the Office of Malaria Control in War Areas was so successful at its titular purpose that Truman turned its efforts stateside, and malaria was extirpated by 1951. To be fair, its range had been gradually restricted by land use changes in the decades prior.

The Office of Malaria Control in War Areas is today known as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Malaria still exists in Mexico and the Caribbean in Hispaniola. Florida and the Bahamas have had local transmission of malaria in the last twenty years but successfully stamped them out by catching the problem early and initiating vector control.

What I’m saying is that with the competence the CDC has demonstrated recently, yeah, I can’t rule out malaria’s return.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:23 on Sep 20, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

What I’m saying is that with the competence the CDC has demonstrated recently, yeah, I can’t rule out malaria’s return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZotxpbxHZms&t=11s

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

During that war, the Office of Malaria Control in War Areas was so successful at its titular purpose that Truman turned its efforts stateside, and malaria was extirpated by 1951. To be fair, its range had been gradually restricted by land use changes in the decades prior.

also big ups to DDT

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2EtxYxEKww

kids love it!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When I went to Peru a couple years ago I had to take malaria pills and one of the side effects was supposedly really vivid dreams so it was suggested to take it in the afternoon. I ignored that advice and still didn’t get crazy rear end dreams. I’m very upset about this.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
its too bad DDT does other stuff, because goddamn it was so good at its primary purpose

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

When I went to Peru a couple years ago I had to take malaria pills and one of the side effects was supposedly really vivid dreams so it was suggested to take it in the afternoon. I ignored that advice and still didn’t get crazy rear end dreams. I’m very upset about this.

wake up!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

George H.W. oval office posted:

hey buddy... pretty rough few year wake up bernie won and we have medicare4all

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so is hurricane season over?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

CODChimera posted:

lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CODChimera posted:

Goes through November. Last year Hurricane Iota ran from 11/13-11/18.

Given how warm the Atlantic and Gulf have been thus far this year, we can't rule out a potential "bonus month." :smith:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

its too bad DDT does other stuff, because goddamn it was so good at its primary purpose

yeah the mosquitos are real bad right now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arsenic navy:

DDT cavalry:

From this article on the history of antimalarial campaigns in Italy. Spoiler: the Nazis are dicks.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

tbf all you really gotta do is splash it out once, maybe every century or so? lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Arsenic navy:

DDT cavalry:

From this article on the history of antimalarial campaigns in Italy. Spoiler: the Nazis are dicks.

im glad i wasnt born in olden days. bicycling in a wool suit with a metal tank on my back in summertime sounds like torture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Was 34 a much wetter year or something?