Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

0C isn't that cold, and 100C is a bit over double what you die at.

People are bad at intuiting negative numbers too.

well yeah, negative numbers aren't relatable to real life, after all, no use adapting to it

if you move at negative speed you go backwards, if you eat negative food, you die, completely useless knowledge, best avoid negative numbers altogether

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A straw poll of the local red wall gammon by a red wall gammon friend has them at “FEWMIN” over this kg to lb change.

They think market stall holders and shops are going to switch back and then sneakily raise the prices on them.

Well, they are not wrong…

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Libluini posted:

well yeah, negative numbers aren't relatable to real life, after all, no use adapting to it

if you move at negative speed you go backwards, if you eat negative food, you die, completely useless knowledge, best avoid negative numbers altogether

I did a negative food into the toilet once after drinking too much.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Libluini posted:

Except all of those are relative to some relative state of the system itself, and while you can get negative Kelvin temperatures in some unusual thermodynamic systems, whether a temperature is higher or lower than the freezing point of pure water at 1atm pressure doesn't tell me much about the weather, it doesn't even tell me if there'll be ice or not, whereas whether it's intuitive to the majority of people who have to use it is pretty important.

Celsius is fine for cooking because if you're cooking at negative Celsius you're either cooking very wrong or you're making ice cream, but so is gas mark and anything else that people can follow, but for general weather if it's confusing to a decent chunk of people who have to use it, it's a bad customary unit. That's completely aside from metric/imperial.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Noxville posted:

Lol at “I was told I could not discuss the matter with anyone - except the Samaritans”

In a Bob Hoskins voice:
Why don't you discuss this matter with the Samaritans, and save us all the paperwork?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Celsius is fine for cooking because if you're cooking at negative Celsius you're either cooking very wrong or you're making ice cream, but so is gas mark and anything else that people can follow, but for general weather if it's confusing to a decent chunk of people who have to use it, it's a bad customary unit. That's completely aside from metric/imperial.

As I have literally never met someone in real life who got confused by Celsius, but tons of people who get confused by Fahrenheit, I have to agree, Fahrenheit is really a bad customary unit. It's bad for both cooking and general weather.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
All this talk of Samaritans made me think of this nice heavy track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWNS_cBNpeY

sends shivers down my spine. Wonderful.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Except all of those are relative to some relative state of the system itself, and while you can get negative Kelvin temperatures in some unusual thermodynamic systems, whether a temperature is higher or lower than the freezing point of pure water at 1atm pressure doesn't tell me much about the weather, it doesn't even tell me if there'll be ice or not, whereas whether it's intuitive to the majority of people who have to use it is pretty important.

Yes, if you expect your number about temperature to give you information on precipitation, then you will be disappointed by Celsius. I don't see how that is a unique problem to Celsius as a unit however?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because people act as if it's the superior scale for measuring outside weather because something something boiling water, when they're about equal and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Like with metric and imperial there's a huge bias with what you grew up with, but I'd bet money that I could explain metric to someone who grew up on imperial faster than you could explain imperial to someone who grew up on metric, whereas it would be about the same either way with Celsius and Fahrenheit, with the disadvantage in the former case that a lot of people don't like negative numbers in casual metrology, and the advantage in the latter case that you can ballpark with "temperature goes 0-100, bring a coat below 50, chance of snow goes way up below 40". They just get lumped into the metric/imperial debate when they're both relatively new compared to measuring length or mass.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

“I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it.”
lol come the gently caress on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even in the mid 18th century members of the Royal Society were debating whether the whole idea of negative numbers was bollocks (centuries after China, India, and the Levant accepted them as par for the course, lol), so it doesn't surprise me if it just doesn't enter into some ways of thinking.

I guess it's gotten a lot more common now with the idea of personal debt/credit/overdraft, but scratch card companies probably don't want to make people think about that too much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean my intuitive temperature scale just goes from 0 to 30 which I think is entirely fine, in fact better, because I don't have to remember 70 useless numbers.

I can barely feel a few degrees C difference most of the time much less need triple the resolution.

And on the plus side I can use the same thermometer for measuring the weather as I do for measuring everything else.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Fahrenheit is archaic and used only in one country (+ several small islands), time will take care of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And on that note, the Babylonian 24:60:60 unit system is worse than imperial.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Even in the mid 18th century members of the Royal Society were debating whether the whole idea of negative numbers was bollocks (centuries after China, India, and the Levant accepted them as par for the course, lol), so it doesn't surprise me if it just doesn't enter into some ways of thinking.

I guess it's gotten a lot more common now with the idea of personal debt/credit/overdraft, but scratch card companies probably don't want to make people think about that too much.
Relatedly, I could never get my head around imaginary numbers and thought it was all nonsense until I saw this YouTube series which explains it all very well (as well as making the point that people used to think negative numbers and fractions were bollocks too)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

Relatedly, I could never get my head around imaginary numbers and thought it was all nonsense until I saw this YouTube series which explains it all very well (as well as making the point that people used to think negative numbers and fractions were bollocks too)

I am 30 seconds in and I now understand less than I did when I started.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The only advantage I can see to fahrenheit is it would have avoided the fencepost error on the ECU of my old Aprilia which had a cold-start setting that ran from .1 to 10 degrees centigrade and a very-cold-start programme that worked for temperatures below zero, meaning that if the air temperature was exactly zero degrees the bike would turn over once then reboot.

At zero degrees fahrenheit I'm just going back to bed rather than trying to start the bike (I assume this is why the problem wasn't picked up and fixed for five years too cos it's an Italian bike any I was literally the only person in the world dumb enough to try and ride it at that temperature). Admittedly this also holds true - for very different reasons - with Kelvin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Engine problem: vapour lock in air filter.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
:siren::siren::siren:
GAMMONS WILL RIOT
:siren::siren::siren:

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1438879134202179589?t=WLpKHPUSqAPe4eNuzjhr7A

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’d like to think that lack of access to traditional English Pisswater lager might be the final straw that makes the proles revolt but I fear the love of bootlicking in this country is so great that even a dearth of Stella Artois may not be enough.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
fahrenheit's goal wasn't especially trying to make up a whole competing temperature scale, but making a far more accurate/sensitive kind of thermometer than anyone had managed before and the scale just kind of came with it

the reason 0f is at a weird place is that it's the temperature of ice water reacting with salt which was both the coldest thing going at the time and also made for reasonably easy calibration

you can use the same trick to get some refreshing tins from room temperature to megafrosty in a few minutes

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

WhatEvil posted:

Bought one of their dishwashers too and again, just poo poo quality, poorly thought-out design and it doesn't actually get stuff clean unless you use the highest "power wash" setting which probably negates any supposed efficiency savings from upgrading from the 30-year old dishwasher that was here before. I think I'll look at trying to import appliances if I ever have to buy any again.

So this is why americans always bitch about eco modes and the like, while water and energy saving dishwashers have always performed really well in my experience. They just get lovely products to chose from.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

And on that note, the Babylonian 24:60:60 unit system is worse than imperial.

Time to bring back Swatch Internet Time

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

All mini does all day at her Amazon Morrison’s picking job is endless mixers, which they have zero shortage of, because this story has been going around for a while.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Americans announced last night that their retaliatory drone strike in Afghanistan last week didn't actually kill a bunch of militants like they said, but actually 10 civilians, including children, but they're vewwy vewwy sowwy.

I know it's not UK news, but it's so loving depressing, and sums up the whole horrible war in one pointless, murderous, vindictive nutshell.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Negative numbers are just inverted numbers, it's pretty simple to intuit imo, or I never had an issue
If you draw them out on a horizontal line it means you have 1 and -1 to either side of 0 in the middle

I only found out about imaginary numbers recently but they just add a new dimension,
so if you're drawing them out, as well as the horizontal line going from 1 to -1 with 0 in the middle, there's a vertical line with i and -i with zero in the middle.
It makes every number 2d instead of 1d and makes for some snappy and easy 2d coordinate calculations.

And they do that simply by imagining there's a number that's the square root of -1(the square root of 1 is 1, but -1 x -1 is 1 again. Another square root of 1),
Well let's just say the square root of -1 is a number called i
same as we get negatives by imagining theres a number when you do 4-5 =?
Or fractional numbers by imagining there's a number when you do 7/2=?
Or imagining that numbers exist at all

Theyr called imaginary numbers derogitarily and it stuck, iirc the guy who proved them thought negative numbers were witchcraft and instead complicated things even more.
The polite term is complex numbers
But every number, even reliable old 5, who you'd think would never betray you, actually is a complex number that has an imaginary component, it's just zero, and you'd write it as 5+0i if you wanted to freak the normies.
I think it'd all be as easy to grasp as negatives if they'd taught anyone it as kids.

I probably got something wrong somewhere, I've only recently tried to relearn maths.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 18, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I did an Ocado* order last night and there was a loooot of stuff that was out of stock.

*yes, I am bourgeois scum

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Negative numbers are just inverted numbers, it's pretty simple to intuit imo, or I never had an issue
If you draw them out on a horizontal line it means you have 1 and -1 to either side of 0 in the middle

I only found out about imaginary numbers recently but they just add a new dimension,
so if you're drawing them out, as well as the horizontal line going from 1 to -1 with 0 in the middle, there's a vertical line with i and -i with zero in the middle.
It makes every number 2d instead of 1d and makes for some snappy and easy 2d coordinate calculations.

And they do that simply by imagining there's a number that's the square root of -1(the square root of 1 is 1, but -1 x -1 is 1 again. Another square root of 1),
Well let's just say the square root of -1 is a number called i
same as we get negatives by imagining theres a number when you do 4-5 =?
Or fractional numbers by imagining there's a number when you do 7/2=?
Or imagining that numbers exist at all

Theyr called imaginary numbers derogitarily and it stuck, iirc the guy who proved them thought negative numbers were witchcraft and instead complicated things even more.
The polite term is complex numbers
But every number, even reliable old 5, who you'd think would never betray you, actually is a complex number that has an imaginary component, it's just zero, and you'd write it as 5+0i if you wanted to freak the normies.
I think it'd all be as easy to grasp as negatives if they'd taught anyone it as kids.

I probably got something wrong somewhere, I've only recently tried to relearn maths.

We could try going into 3D, adding a third axis along which to numerate. But unlike the complex numbers, there's no way to make this into a system of arithmetic!

It can be done in 4D of you are willing to care about the order in which you do your multiplication. There's a famous bridge about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like how you can keep going up by orders but every time you find one that works, it loses a fundamental property of numbers, like quaternions are noncommutative and x·y isn't necessarily y·x, and octonions are also nonassociative so (x + y) + z isn't always x + (y + z) and eventually you just end up as things that don't work as numbers. And it's absolute madness that some of this has actual real world uses but :thatsengineering:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

somewhere god has his head in his hands going "i never shoulda let these apes solve a triangle"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

(But also

:ssh:)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I wonder about the role of the way maths is taught as well. The progressive de-simplification as more concepts are added and we move towards generality. Leading to the frustrated mathematician's clever idea to teach maths upside down, starting with the most general (and difficult) things at age 5, and ending up with "and that's why 1+1=2" in university. I think there was an SMBC comic about it probably.

But who doesn't remember learning basic subtraction and being told 5-7 isn't anything? And then you move up to the scientific calculator level and it tells you that sqrt(-1) is "error", as is 1/0. But then you find out that if you just pretend sqrt(-1) is something, you end up with consistent maths that does useful things. But if you pretend 1/0 is something, you end up proving 1=0, so that's actually not a thing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sqrt(-1) = p(-1)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

a lot of people don't like negative numbers in casual metrology,

:allears:

where do you find those weirdos?

I've literally never seen someone do this. Over here you'd be quietly committed if you start ranting about hating temperatures because they're negative.

Besides, Fahrenheit also drop into negatives eventually. Or are you suggesting we all switch to Kelvin? I'd be down to that.

His Divine Shadow posted:

So this is why americans always bitch about eco modes and the like, while water and energy saving dishwashers have always performed really well in my experience. They just get lovely products to chose from.

True, sometimes I'm reading German science blogs, and because German scientist often have to go to America to get work, there was a lot of bitching when Germans encountered US "quality". Like, my favorite was a comment from ca. 2007 by a physicist describing how they first went to a US super market to buy poo poo and found everything on offer was either cheap, broken, useless or a combination of all three, it was marvelous

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

so much for bloody carbon emissions global warming my arse end of woooooooooooigh :manning:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Libluini posted:

:allears:

where do you find those weirdos?

I've literally never seen someone do this. Over here you'd be quietly committed if you start ranting about hating temperatures because they're negative.

Besides, Fahrenheit also drop into negatives eventually. Or are you suggesting we all switch to Kelvin? I'd be down to that
In the article I linked where Camelot pulled a scratchcard based on negative temperatures because enough people didn't get it and then their customer reps didn't get it either. Or do we just ignore those people to cater to the fans of some dead Swedish poet who liked to blog about distilled water?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Umbra Dubium posted:

That bible story always bugged me.

Jesus might not have been saying "Imagine that one of those filthy Samaritans was the only helpful person on the road!" but if you've called your modern organisation 'The Samaritans' and forgotten to include the "good" part somehow is like calling your organisation 'The [N-Words]'.

Which wouldn't fly for obvious reasons, so why is is OK to discriminate against Samaria?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rywVlfTtlMY

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Absolutely baffled that there are real people out there that don't understand negative numbers my god

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Absolutely baffled that there are real people out there that don't understand negative numbers my god

Numeracy is pretty terrible across the board in this country. A majority of voters don't understand the very basics of how marginal tax rates work, so it's not surprising that some people can't grasp negative numbers.

If you haven't been properly educated in it then the concept of negative anything is mind blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
What's your favourite number? I like 9. Square, odd, nice shape.

I asked this of a colleague once while we were chatting and she thought the idea of a favourite number was insane.