Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm a pretty thrifty shopper when it comes to games, almost always waiting for deep discounts. Anno 1800 is one of the few games ever where I would whole-heartedly recommend buying it and every piece of DLC even at full price. If it's on sale, so much the better. Buy it all, drown in city building and plate-spinning, and revel in the charm that is Anno.

I agree with this. I limit my game purchases now and don't regret 1800 at all. I also played the base game for a long long time just to make sure I liked it before touching any of the DLC, and still don't own the last season pass because I still feel like I'm getting enough out of it. I know I'll get it though. That says a lot to me, because I used to pile on the DLCs before even trying a game. There seems to be a lot here for me game wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

LonsomeSon posted:

I did have the Schooner assigned to follow my salvager around mysteriously die, with an alert for the shot being destroyed but not for it being damaged, while I was looking at another session, so if you’re asking because you lost a ship at the Cape, maybe it was from the same ~unknown~ thing?

You probably ran into a mine. Some of those will show up for an occasional mission.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve gotten almost to the point of starting Investors, and my production and shipping routes are a mess.

Does anyone use a hub and spoke distribution island in each region to streamline things, or is that just a waste?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’ve gotten almost to the point of starting Investors, and my production and shipping routes are a mess.

Does anyone use a hub and spoke distribution island in each region to streamline things, or is that just a waste?

I don’t do a formal hub and spoke, but there are very few trade routes I run which don’t connect to Crown Falls in some capacity, and it’s where I centralize my item and equipment storage as a rule.

Really, I uniformly have a “main settlement” island in each session, and while stuff gets delivered from other sessions to islands which aren’t that one from time to time, there usually isn’t too much need to do so. Late-game I might have the Old World > Arctic Coal route, or OW > New World Bricks route have multiple destinations, and I usually have a Big Circle route in that session to distribute Bricks, Windows, Steel, and Cement, so I can just set a destination on a newly-settled island and have it fill up eventually, but that’s it.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Definitely make use of the grouping system for your trade routes. So like Penny Farthings would go under T4 - Engineers, Rum would go under T3 - Artisans (which ever population needs it first). It helped me keep track of where everything is coming and going from nice and easily and its a lot less cluttered.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
When I'm getting a happiness penalty for pollution, does it mean all forms of "unattractiveness" (vulgarity/pollution/instability), or specifically pollution?

I moved all of my pig-related operations out of my main city, and it definitely bumped up the overall attractiveness, but I can't remember what the unhappiness penalty was before, and I'm still getting one.

Am I going to have to move out all of my heavy industry (including adding electricity to my hellworld island) if I want my main colony to be a tourist utopia?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

When I'm getting a happiness penalty for pollution, does it mean all forms of "unattractiveness" (vulgarity/pollution/instability), or specifically pollution?

I moved all of my pig-related operations out of my main city, and it definitely bumped up the overall attractiveness, but I can't remember what the unhappiness penalty was before, and I'm still getting one.

Am I going to have to move out all of my heavy industry (including adding electricity to my hellworld island) if I want my main colony to be a tourist utopia?

Short answer: yes, just stuff in the Pollution category. Long answer, you can look at the Happiness pane of a house and above the goods bars, there's a breakdown of the various Happiness factors by categories. If you pull up the Attractiveness pane and click on the Pollution entry, it will show you which buildings are producing how much Pollution.

Also: usually, yeah, you want to off-island everything ugly from your Tourist paradise, or as much as possible anyway.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Hmm, is it better to have a tourist island other than your "main" colony?

Like, my main island is up over 1k engineers, and it has most of my infrastructure, other than things I can't gather/make there, and the aforementioned pig industry. Moving my steel/brass industry somewhere else is going to be murder - my other islands don't have anything beyond Workers, aside from the handful of free ones from influence bonuses.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Like, my main island is up over 1k engineers, and it has most of my infrastructure, other than things I can't gather/make there, and the aforementioned pig industry. Moving my steel/brass industry somewhere else is going to be murder - my other islands don't have anything beyond Workers, aside from the handful of free ones from influence bonuses.

It's more complex to set up and balance the logistics for two different locations consuming the same goods, but what we're talking about here is best-case stuff. What having any kind of Attractiveness penalties means is that you have to build that much more Attractiveness in order to get to the 0 point and start building up.

By the time having 1-200 unAttractiveness on an island becomes a serious factor, you'll be wealthy enough in lift capacity, materials, and cash to migrate entire industries to other places.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

If you have engineers then you have commuter piers, which share workforce across islands. You don't need to have engineers on more than one island. In the old world I typically convert two of the large starter islands (I play without AI now) to population centers, one for workers and one for artisans/engineers with farmers scattered wherever because any island can support them. The two populated islands get to be pretty and touristy, then the other two starter islands get turned into industrial complexes to support my old world pop and Crown Falls. One industrial island for worker/artisan stuff and one for engineer+.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

LonsomeSon posted:

It's more complex to set up and balance the logistics for two different locations consuming the same goods, but what we're talking about here is best-case stuff. What having any kind of Attractiveness penalties means is that you have to build that much more Attractiveness in order to get to the 0 point and start building up.

By the time having 1-200 unAttractiveness on an island becomes a serious factor, you'll be wealthy enough in lift capacity, materials, and cash to migrate entire industries to other places.
I understand how this applies to the overall Attractiveness rating (which works for visitor/tourist stuff), but it doesn't seem like adding any amount of decorations or cultural buildings mitigates the effect of pollution on citizen Happiness.

Gadzuko posted:

If you have engineers then you have commuter piers, which share workforce across islands. You don't need to have engineers on more than one island. In the old world I typically convert two of the large starter islands (I play without AI now) to population centers, one for workers and one for artisans/engineers with farmers scattered wherever because any island can support them. The two populated islands get to be pretty and touristy, then the other two starter islands get turned into industrial complexes to support my old world pop and Crown Falls. One industrial island for worker/artisan stuff and one for engineer+.
This is probably the best answer. I haven't touched commuter piers yet because I didn't understand how they work. I'm also not using Docklands, despite owning the DLC, because it's confusing and the documentation is sparse.

I'm probably missing 80% of the things that were included in the DLC because it was all so overwhelming that I just ignored most of it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

I understand how this applies to the overall Attractiveness rating (which works for visitor/tourist stuff), but it doesn't seem like adding any amount of decorations or cultural buildings mitigates the effect of pollution on citizen Happiness.

This is probably the best answer. I haven't touched commuter piers yet because I didn't understand how they work. I'm also not using Docklands, despite owning the DLC, because it's confusing and the documentation is sparse.

I'm probably missing 80% of the things that were included in the DLC because it was all so overwhelming that I just ignored most of it.

Having just picked up the game with the complete edition last week and diving right in with all the DLC enabled, you have made the correct decision here because it turns out trying to do all the DLC at once while also just generally learning how the game works makes it very hard to pay attention to any one thing. Although with the Docklands specifically you can choose to ignore the primary feature and just use the modules as upgraded versions of stuff you're already building (they all do the same things as normal shore buildings but are more space efficient).

I don't believe there is any way to mitigate the happiness penalties from pollution - overall attractiveness isn't a happiness factor, the only thing they care about is the pollution level. So the only way to deal with it is to move the polluting industries somewhere else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

There is something deeply satisfying about getting an optimized production chain (two in this case) down after a dozen failures because one building or field was one tile off.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cythereal posted:

There is something deeply satisfying about getting an optimized production chain (two in this case) down after a dozen failures because one building or field was one tile off.

Didn't notice the UI at first and was wondering what the gently caress I was in for when I got to engineer production chains

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Didn't notice the UI at first and was wondering what the gently caress I was in for when I got to engineer production chains

Hey, these are engineer production chains!

Just, Tycoon Engineer production chains. :v: Two champagne production lines, two vineyards to one sugar beet plantation for each champagne cellar.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

This is probably the best answer. I haven't touched commuter piers yet because I didn't understand how they work.

Tl;dr: All islands on the same map (so Old World or Cape Trelawney) that have a commuter pier automatically share their workforce as one big pool.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

it doesn't seem like adding any amount of decorations or cultural buildings mitigates the effect of pollution on citizen Happiness.

I went back and checked and drat if you’re not fully correct, Tourists don’t seem to give a single poo poo about Pollution specifically. I’m kind of tempted to surround my Hotels with factories now!

Also, I totally didn’t look for pollution and ugliness in the new industry buildings, so I need to offshore all my chemical plants now! Coming up on 5k investors for the skyscraper unlock, should be ~interesting~

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WhiteHowler posted:

Commuter piers: cost $1,000 upkeep (which is a lot) and some influence. They merge the work pool of all affected islands into 1 (including the influence bonus for having lots of islands which makes it hella powerful when you're bundling up the +100/+200 workforce bonus of several islands). Only available in the old world.

Docklands: Trade X of your goods for Y of another good. Often used to trade for the precursor of whatever resource you want (since the refined product is often worth 3-4x the raw materials). Or, say, to trade for a bunch of fish to free up the coastline. The more stuff you trade, the more items to trade for you unlock. Also the more of one good you trade, the more valuable it becomes and the more dockland modules you unlock. Modules can be placed anywhere as more expensive harbor buildings, but if they chain back to the Main Wharf building each module gives +15 appeal. You can build a Docklands on every Old World island, and each Docklands will spawn a ship every 20 minutes to trade for whatever goods you request.

I'm currently working on an LP of 1800 over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977847 Last update goes into the start of the Docklands.

LonsomeSon posted:

I went back and checked and drat if you’re not fully correct, Tourists don’t seem to give a single poo poo about Pollution specifically. I’m kind of tempted to surround my Hotels with factories now!

Also, I totally didn’t look for pollution and ugliness in the new industry buildings, so I need to offshore all my chemical plants now! Coming up on 5k investors for the skyscraper unlock, should be ~interesting~

Well they don't care about Pollution, specifically, but they do care about the overall beauty score of an island which Pollution does detract from.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 15, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

LonsomeSon posted:

You probably already know this, but I discovered that if you click on the Attractiveness score on the main screen, then click a category, the tile "flips" over and lists all of the buildings with bonuses or penalties. It's really helpful for offshoring your pigs or steel industry or whatever.

Alkydere posted:

Commuter piers: cost $1,000 upkeep (which is a lot) and some influence. They merge the work pool of all affected islands into 1 (including the influence bonus for having lots of islands which makes it hella powerful when you're bundling up the +100/+200 workforce bonus of several islands). Only available in the old world.
Yeah! I built one on my main continent and one on my "hellworld" island, and it basically allowed me to offshore all of my pollution without having to worry about maintaining a second massive Artisan/Engineer colony. It also let me streamline the resources, which made up for a lot of the maintenance cost.

quote:

Docklands: Trade X of your goods for Y of another good. Often used to trade for the precursor of whatever resource you want (since the refined product is often worth 3-4x the raw materials). Or, say, to trade for a bunch of fish to free up the coastline. The more stuff you trade, the more items to trade for you unlock. Also the more of one good you trade, the more valuable it becomes and the more dockland modules you unlock.

I looked at this in-game and it made my head hurt, so I'll probably continue to produce everything on my own using the Ctrl-Q screen as a guide.

quote:

Modules can be placed anywhere as more expensive harbor buildings, but if they chain back to the Main Wharf building each module gives +15 appeal.
Aside from the Attractiveness bonus, is there a reason to build, say a Docklands Pier as opposed to a normal harbor Pier?

And I do still need my basic Trading Post, right? It doesn't seem like Docklands has its own storage, just storage enhancements?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Started off a new game since I feel I got the hang of things, also loaded up the Spice It Up mod.

This time round I decided I really couldn’t be hosed with the canned food chain so I’m exporting 600 tonnes of fish at a time to trade for it

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

WhiteHowler posted:

Aside from the Attractiveness bonus, is there a reason to build, say a Docklands Pier as opposed to a normal harbor Pier?

And I do still need my basic Trading Post, right? It doesn't seem like Docklands has its own storage, just storage enhancements?

Docklands pier is slightly smaller, also usually in range of harbourmaster items inserted in docklands so you can load it up on "get free stuff when trades happen" items. The big thing with docklands is the loading speed increase modules - no more queues everyone loads and unloads in seconds, but those work on regular piers too I think.

You still need the trading post, docklands main module doesn't replace it. Docklands warehouses are way more compact and with fully built up docklands get you something like 4000 extra storage, not to mention attractiveness.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WhiteHowler posted:

Docklands modules are all smaller. Everything besides the additional piers are 3x3, and those are still smaller than the standard ones. As compared to 4x8 for a warehouse or 4x4 for a normal repair crane. Also as Pyromancer said there's the "Loading Dock" modules which give an island wide +50% loading speed to all piers (docklands or not) on that island (stacking additively. So +50%, +100% +150% etc.) The Main Wharf itself also acts as a mega-harbormaster: slightly larger radius and every Docklands Harbormaster module you add slaps an additional +1 item space to the Main Wharf's item limit.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Docklands modules are all smaller. Everything besides the additional piers are 3x3, and those are still smaller than the standard ones. As compared to 4x8 for a warehouse or 4x4 for a normal repair crane. Also as Pyromancer said there's the "Loading Dock" modules which give an island wide +50% loading speed to all piers (docklands or not) on that island (stacking additively. So +50%, +100% +150% etc.) The Main Wharf itself also acts as a mega-harbormaster: slightly larger radius and every Docklands Harbormaster module you add slaps an additional +1 item space to the Main Wharf's item limit.

Yeah, you can use the Docklands mega-harbour master and the the palace/local palace to do some crazy production stuff in regards to sand and fish, and then trade thousands of them in the Docklands to bypass more troublesome supply chains.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I don't usually get a ton of use out of the Docklands Harbormaster slots because the radius is usually full of docklands modules. I guess on islands where I don't care about attractiveness I should put them further away.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't usually get a ton of use out of the Docklands Harbormaster slots because the radius is usually full of docklands modules. I guess on islands where I don't care about attractiveness I should put them further away.

I usually set up a very specific island to be my fish and sand exploitation island, because you are right, the radius does get better served by being full of Docklands buildings in most cases.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It’s important to remember that you can make quays in docklands to massively increase your shorelines; you can often fit a large amount of docklands modules and still have fisheries out ahead or next to them, just takes some puzzling together like everything else.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Oh, sideways. I realized I could out the piers further out but not sideways, that stacks way more.

I'm thinking of doing a 'magnasanti' run and stacking population as high as I can. Pure population and the bare minimum happiness I need to reach it.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Alkydere posted:

there's the "Loading Dock" modules which give an island wide +50% loading speed to all piers (docklands or not) on that island (stacking additively. So +50%, +100% +150% etc.)

Is it on that island, or on that beach? I’ve noticed that piers on beaches other than the docklands beach still have the 2t/s load time.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My wife likes to decorate the islands.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Started doing electricity for the first time, sorry about your house bud but the trains gotta go somewhere

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

WhiteHowler posted:

:3:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What items are good at providing faith for expeditions? It seems like it's a very hard stat to come by compared to the others.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Enbesa questline gives you good one who also boosts diplomacy.

Or just load bread as rations.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011
Bread isn't that good for faith. Even a full stack doesn't really help that much with the skill checks.
You want to look for a Ship's Chaplain. He's a relatively affordable and easy to get(check Eli's prison) character that boosts expeditions with a whopping +25 Faith, +35 Naval Power and +15 Navigation. He's also a Ship item, so you can use your cargo slots for any other things you might need.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

That is some pretty great artwork and the arrangement of those blocks is exactly as aggravating as I expect it's intended. My compliments to her.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What items are good at providing faith for expeditions? It seems like it's a very hard stat to come by compared to the others.

For faith unless you can get some religious persons (chaplains, bishops, etc.) you're going to want to dig into the cultural pieces. Various artifacts, plants and animals have religion modifiers. Just don't use the mummy since that gives negative religion.

Ubik_Lives posted:

Is it on that island, or on that beach? I’ve noticed that piers on beaches other than the docklands beach still have the 2t/s load time.

It's supposed to be entire island. No idea why you'd be seeing just one beach being affected.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Is there something I’m missing that causes the bonus from electricity to fluctuate moment to moment? The wiki seems to indicate it’s just a flat yes/no thing, but that’s not what I get when looking at a factory info pane.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It's a flat yes/no for +100% production.

If you're seeing fluctuations it could be:
-Your building is still ramping up/down from having power applied or some other work stoppage (not enough resources)
-Your power plant not getting a steady supply of fuel.

Remember you need 3 tapped oil seeps to support an oil power plant and 6 natural gas seeps for a natural gas plant.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Picked this up yesterday because it was on sale. Got to where the tutorial lady told me to upgrade my farmers to workers, smashed the button on all the houses, then realized now I had no farmers to work anything :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

Picked this up yesterday because it was on sale. Got to where the tutorial lady told me to upgrade my farmers to workers, smashed the button on all the houses, then realized now I had no farmers to work anything :saddowns:

You can probably downgrade the houses pretty easily to bring back that worker workforce, or build more farmer residences if you have any wood left.