Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Open stress test this weekend!!

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/ageiv-tech-stress-test/

quote:

Technical Stress Test from Friday, September 17th, at 10 a.m. PT through Monday, September 20th, at 10 a.m. PT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

I'm definitely doing this tonight. Also some AoE2 games if anyone is interested.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Just played some games including an hour and half slugfest with a fellow goon and games pretty fun!!! Landmarks are quite something

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played the stress test for a while today. The game seems very good but also I learned that I am too old and deliberate to play APM and micro heavy RTS games anymore and will not be buying it :( There's just way too much going on at once for me to keep up with

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Are you able to set hotkeys to the mouse's side buttons in AoE4? I couldn't figure it out and am really used to it on AoE2.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How's everyone liking it that has had a chance to get some games in? I got some UI nitpicks and annoyed at a lack of a more detailed tech tree and unit stats but seems nice so far.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It certainly does feel like modernized AoE2 with stronger differences between civs. Pretty solid, if not particularly innovative, and it's not like there's a glut of good RTSes nowadays...

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Main complaints so far are that the camera is too zoomed in and the after the game is over it should reveal the map so you can see what everyone built.

It's also criminal how little info the ingame tech tree actually tells you after what age of empires 2's tech tree was like, no unit stats, no building costs, no unique building info for china.

Also the stress test text could be a bit smaller or more opaque, almost as annoying as the chinese dynasty text being in the middle of the screen for no good reason.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 18, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Oh so the company of heroes ppl made a game with bad FOV?? Waow I definitely didn't see that being a main reason I would dislike this game lol

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The bell banging every time you click on the town center is awful, but i'm ok with the game. Maybe it's just not me, though. I think AoE2.5 is ehhhh.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Panzeh posted:

The bell banging every time you click on the town center is awful

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panzeh posted:

The bell banging every time you click on the town center is awful, but i'm ok with the game. Maybe it's just not me, though. I think AoE2.5 is ehhhh.

Putting a house in a control group with town center keeps the buttons the same but silences the bell.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
Just won an hour long 2v2. It was a very tense game where we were on the back foot until trade kicked in.

Definitely a very fun game. It looks great, and the music is fantastic. I was on the fence, but this made me buy it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Why the gently caress am I locked on low graphics settings and can't change them? Game looks like dog poo poo this way. Is there a way to change outside the game, maybe a ini file?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Why does Red Bull fund a tournament with enough budget to rent an actual castle and a bunch of props and sets?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Smiling Knight posted:

Why does Red Bull fund a tournament with enough budget to rent an actual castle and a bunch of props and sets?

The gameplay is just a side show: the filler is what really matters to the decision makers behind the camera. Think it's been like 30 minutes since the last match.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

The gameplay is just a side show: the filler is what really matters to the decision makers behind the camera. Think it's been like 30 minutes since the last match.

Jokes on them! I minimize the stream when there’s no game going on. (That explanation makes more sense than my guess, which was some marketing guy was a fan who duped his bosses into backing a decades-old game).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Unplayabl
e

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm not sure it'll have the depth of the AoE2 competitive scene but as a fun, approachable gently caress around rts I'm having a good time building castles and blowing up dudes with siege engines.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The strong distinctions betweem civs and the age bonus system based on what landmark you pick (from Age of Mythology and AoE3) is real good for mixing up the game; keeps people guessing and makes scouting very important. I think it'll be a deeper game than AoE2 and I dig that, but of course who knows if the competitive scene will bite. That said I'm pretty stoked about it already from the games I've played, just minor UI issues, could be resolvable through experience and time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What exactly is the counter to mass longbows if you aren't a early man at arms civ? they can get the deathball rolling really fast with that 7 second creation time, you could spend your wood making outposts on every resource but that does nothing to fight the growing deathball and then they make rams and end the game.

I can only see fast castle to knights or lancers behind defensive buildings and hope they don't mass spearmen too, really feeling the lack of a skirmisher.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe4/comments/pr4fsa/gather_rates_and_eco_changes_in_aoe_iv_compared/

Here is a good post breaking down resource gathering differences between AoE4/AoE2 if that interests anyone.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What exactly is the counter to mass longbows if you aren't a early man at arms civ? they can get the deathball rolling really fast with that 7 second creation time, you could spend your wood making outposts on every resource but that does nothing to fight the growing deathball and then they make rams and end the game.

I can only see fast castle to knights or lancers behind defensive buildings and hope they don't mass spearmen too, really feeling the lack of a skirmisher.

Yeah - walls and outposts into fast castle I guess. It seems very strong.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat, HRE keeps with relics don't gently caress around.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

:siren:Red Bull Wololo LAN finals are starting right now.:siren:

Youtube stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XDrgmy9JdM

Twitch stream:
https://twitch.tv/redbull

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

:piss: Hell of a final.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Those were some really good games.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think walls/outpost early can negate them well, just gotta be conscious that thats what theyre gonna do. That being said 2 goons and i did 3v3s and deathball victory every map lol. Building rams right near their base is crazy, theyre so strong too

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is a good summary of the issues in AOE4 as they stand and I agree with most of this guys points regarding the UI and unit responsiveness
https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1srqst4

quote:

AOE 4 UI feels like an attempt to reinvent the wheel but comes up with a square

To add on to balance concerns of my own which could be simple number tweaks from being fixed:
  • My first points are almost all directed to ranged unit balance, archers and buildings having 100% laser accuracy the entire game is annoying to fight against since they always do their full damage output without needing a late game ballistics tech
  • Civilization differences which can basically amount to some civs not having a rock in the rock paper scissors of early feudal and instead having 2 papers, the lack of a skirmisher unit is very apparent against mass longbows
  • Light cavalry needs pierce armor to do it's intended job as anti archer/raider under building fire, it goes down fast for a 100 food 20 wood unit
  • Englands feudal buildings need a rework, the Abbey is worthless and the Council is overpowered for longbow rushes, it's effectively 300 wood of archery ranges as soon as you enter feudal
  • Mangonels don't do friendly fire damage, what?
  • Spearmen are made of paper, they cost 20 more resources then in AoE2 but they go down from just 3 hits from a archer, insanely easy to focus down
  • Needs a way to ban maps in quickplay so you aren't randomly put on archipelago or black forest against your desire

TLDR: me and my friends are still probably buying this when it comes out and everything aside from possibly the bad unit responsiveness can be changed if they want to change it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never really gotten into Age of Empires before but I had fun playing AOE 4 this weekend. Might get it when it comes out.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Been enjoying AoE4 more than I expected, there's a lot of familiarity in it but still a lot that's fresh.

What with how directly it's modeled off AoE2 though it kind of starkly showcases both the good and bad of how video games have changed in the past 20 years; everything is a hundred times busier, which is dope for the sound design but makes me miss the clarity of the older games a bit (although I could always just play them again).

Also yeah that tweet mentioned it, but I don't know what it is with modern UI designers that want to make all tech icons monocolor; this has happened in like half a dozen strategy games over the past 5 years or something and it always sucks and a lot of the time I feel like the devs even end up changing it. I bring it up since AoE tech icons are weirdly iconic for me; still bummed they switched out the AoE1 ones in the rerelease.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Archers and longbowmen are the skirmishers this time around.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Honestly if you’re on the fence about buying it, just get the one month trial of GamePass for PC since it’s a day-1 release there

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I switched from infantry + knight push to infantry + crossbow push using HRE and if anything it worked better. I'm really liking this game even with my issues about farm building (would like a way to easily see if I'm building enough farms for the bunch of villagers I have selected) and selecting idle villagers (would like to be able to hold shift/ctrl when clicking the idle villager button in order to mass select them), so I think I'll be getting it on release, even if I only intend to play compstomps.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

toasterwarrior posted:

and selecting idle villagers (would like to be able to hold shift/ctrl when clicking the idle villager button in order to mass select them),.

You can assign this to any key btw dont need to click. I had idle villager as space and all idles as ctrl+space

Im really stoked for this game, excited to try out all the civs and do more multiplayer matches. I think for all its obvious flaws (looking at you unit pathing) i think the game is pretty great

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

cheeseboy58 posted:

You can assign this to any key btw dont need to click. I had idle villager as space and all idles as ctrl+space

Im really stoked for this game, excited to try out all the civs and do more multiplayer matches. I think for all its obvious flaws (looking at you unit pathing) i think the game is pretty great

Oh dope, that'll be good to remember when the game comes out for realsies. Thanks.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here is a good summary of the issues in AOE4 as they stand and I agree with most of this guys points regarding the UI and unit responsiveness
https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1srqst4

To add on to balance concerns of my own which could be simple number tweaks from being fixed:
  • My first points are almost all directed to ranged unit balance, archers and buildings having 100% laser accuracy the entire game is annoying to fight against since they always do their full damage output without needing a late game ballistics tech
  • Civilization differences which can basically amount to some civs not having a rock in the rock paper scissors of early feudal and instead having 2 papers, the lack of a skirmisher unit is very apparent against mass longbows
  • Light cavalry needs pierce armor to do it's intended job as anti archer/raider under building fire, it goes down fast for a 100 food 20 wood unit
  • Englands feudal buildings need a rework, the Abbey is worthless and the Council is overpowered for longbow rushes, it's effectively 300 wood of archery ranges as soon as you enter feudal
  • Mangonels don't do friendly fire damage, what?
  • Spearmen are made of paper, they cost 20 more resources then in AoE2 but they go down from just 3 hits from a archer, insanely easy to focus down
  • Needs a way to ban maps in quickplay so you aren't randomly put on archipelago or black forest against your desire

TLDR: me and my friends are still probably buying this when it comes out and everything aside from possibly the bad unit responsiveness can be changed if they want to change it.

Agreed with your points and the ones in the link. The fact that this is coming out in a month is a bit worrying considering how "obvious" some of these issues are. Even if they weren't obvious to the devs, they should have been flagged and observed during the closed beta. The guys final comment about it being "a pass if it didn't have Age of Empires as part of the name" is perhaps a bit harsh, but its not entirely off the mark either. I'm honestly shocked by the lack of polish and confused by who they're trying to appeal to. They don't seem to be appealing to the competitive scene, but they also don't seem to be appealing to the chill/casual fanbase sim-city/comp stomp either. The game is much faster than AoE2 and quickly becomes, in my option, quite hectic. Doubly so because at this zoom level everything engages basically as soon as they are within one "screen" of each other.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The UI really feels like there was a higher-up at Microsoft that told them they had to make it work with tablets because they wanted to promote it on the Surface. Why is each queued villager its own spaced out icon?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Inept posted:

The UI really feels like there was a higher-up at Microsoft that told them they had to make it work with tablets because they wanted to promote it on the Surface. Why is each queued villager its own spaced out icon?
Whats funny is that on the queue everything is spaced out, but if you select a group of units, on the UI they are grouped as well, and it is not possible to select an individual unit on the UI. So in a situation in which you have some weak units you may want to segregate into another group to move back, you are forced to do it via on-map selection. Depriving you of an option for no real reason. The game seems to be filled of little things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The game feels extremely amenable to casual comp stomp base building style players to me? Less macro, very forgiving micro, lots of larping potential with walls and sieges, base-building civ bonuses etc