Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Sounds like maybe they were designed for 1/8 w resistors?
https://eepower.com/resistor-guide/resistor-standards-and-codes/resistor-sizes-and-packages/

You can always stand the ones you have up if you don't feel like ordering something different.

When in doubt check the data sheets of components before ordering mouser makes it easy to do this other parts suppliers you might have to find it for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Thumposaurus posted:

Sounds like maybe they were designed for 1/8 w resistors?
https://eepower.com/resistor-guide/resistor-standards-and-codes/resistor-sizes-and-packages/

You can always stand the ones you have up if you don't feel like ordering something different.

When in doubt check the data sheets of components before ordering mouser makes it easy to do this other parts suppliers you might have to find it for yourself.

Thank you for this!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Whelp! I was building my Befaco HexMix VCA kit and I got shorted one 22pf capacitor. They're worth about 2 cents each. :doh:

Ended up ordering a bundle of assorted capacitors from Amazon hoping I could same-day it or get it tomorrow, even if I had to pay for it, but I can't get it any sooner than Saturday.

This is the first time I've been shorted since I built my Paia 9700 back in 2007, and back then I got shorted a whole bunch of stuff - resistors, diodes, a voltage regulator... so I contacted Paia to get that straightened out.

I don't feel like bothering Befaco or Modular Addict, the place I ordered from, over one 2 cent capacitor.

And hopefully having a whole bunch of spare capacitors will come in handy in future kit building. I have a broken Diode Chaos module (100% my fault) that I was told to use a capacitor to troubleshoot - now I'll have 300!

Also, I wanted to mod my Metal Zone pedal... but I think those require active/polarized capacitors.

This is my hobby, this is what I do for fun.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
This is more of a sampler question but I figure you fine folks would be the ones to ask:

After many years of DJing (mostly on vinyl) and making music on the PC (Mostly with Reason, but I started on the old old version of Fruity Loops way back in the late 90's), I've splurged a little and bought myself a little hardware studio. I have an Electribe 2 Sampler as the main sequencer driving my old Electribe ES1 sampler ( that I bought when it was new) and the Behringer TB-303 clone. I am using my Traktor S4 4-channel DJ mixer to mix everything and as the audio / midi interface to my PC. The kind of music I am into making is old 90's style techno, and I am having a ton of fun and feeling a lot more successful getting the sound I want with only having to touch the computer minimally. The one thing really missing from the setup though, is a way to use sampled loops the way I want to.

What I am looking for is something (hardware prefered, but I'll use a software sampler if it's a good one) that I can load up loops (mostly percussion, I'm thinking) that can be triggered by MIDI notes from the Electribe and that will automatically adjust the sample's BPM to match the BPM of the master clock that is playing. I don't really care what method it uses to do the adjustment, and a simple pitch change would be fine (that's the way we beatmatch when DJing, I don't mind that it will change the pitch of the sample this way), but a timestretch algorithm that changes BPM while preserving pitch works for me also, as long as it is real-time, and I don't have to manually set the new bpm in the individual sample's setting. I'm looking at the old BOSS SP-505 boxes, as there are some available on EBAY and looking through the manual it _seems_ like it will do this, but I'm not sure.

I can trigger the samplers in Reason on my PC via MIDI no problem, but there is no reason instrument (as far as I know) that will automatically pitch a phrase sample to match the current clock BPM, so I have to manually edit all the phrase samples to be one specific BPM and then if I decide to change the main BPM of the song, or use the samples in a song of a different BPM, I have to make copies of the samples at the new BPM.

There are lots of solutions that will chop up the phrase into slices and then use a MIDI phrase to trigger the slices with the correct timing (The Electribe 2 kind of does this natively, and the Dr Octo Rex player in Reason does it) but I am looking more for something where I can trigger the phrase with one single MIDI note event, rather than having to program some specific pattern in.

The ideal machine would let me for load up a .wav phrase that I set to be triggered by Note C3 on MIDI channel 8(just to pick a note and channel for an example), and if the original phrase is 124 bpm and the master clock is 133 bpm, it will pitch it up by 7.25% automatically. Hardware ideally, but I'll take a software solution if it's cheap!

For reference, here is the kind of stuff I am looking at ripping off making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkPsW8zH-IE

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 16, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I think Reason is particularly bad at that as far as DAWs go but that's something that Ableton does effortlessly (was its claim to fame for a while), and Logic handles pretty well via stretching audio clips (rather than triggering samples from a sampler instrument, but the result is basically the same).

In general for legacy workflow reasons most samplers shy away from that functionality - the SP-1200, MPC, and things inheriting from them are "pick a BPM, pitch rhythmic samples to be in line like beatmatching, go from there" and its just how most people approach it.

I think the Octatrack was one of the first things to kind of explicitly not do that and allow the stretch to bpm feature, and I wanna say the Pioneer Toraiz series things also do - but you're in 1k flagship range.

No idea about the Roland things, they're a blind spot for me.

e: not the op-1, nvm!

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 17, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

I think Reason is particularly bad at that as far as DAWs go but that's something that Ableton does effortlessly (was its claim to fame for a while), and Logic handles pretty well via stretching audio clips (rather than triggering samples from a sampler instrument, but the result is basically the same).

In general for legacy workflow reasons most samplers shy away from that functionality - the SP-1200, MPC, and things inheriting from them are "pick a BPM, pitch rhythmic samples to be in line like beatmatching, go from there" and its just how most people approach it.

I think the Octatrack was one of the first things to kind of explicitly not do that and allow the stretch to bpm feature, and I wanna saw the Pioneer Toraiz series things also do, and the OP1? - but you're in 1k flagship range.

Oh, but that's a thing the OP1 does? Nice.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

watho posted:

it looks insanely cool but man that price.

erica absolutely has my number, but also they are so far out of my price range. This and the SYNTRX are exactly what I want, but I just cannot afford them at all.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

petit choux posted:

Oh, but that's a thing the OP1 does? Nice.

The OP1 definitely does not do timestretching unless I'm confusing what you guys are talking about.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Carmant posted:

The OP1 definitely does not do timestretching unless I'm confusing what you guys are talking about.

Sorry, I'm the one confused, you can't take that from me.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Ashun Sound Machines ended up giving me what I wanted: a 16 voice HydraSynth

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

petit choux posted:

Sorry, I'm the one confused, you can't take that from me.

I was also confused, idk I thought I remembered it doing that? But I've never owned one

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

rickiep00h posted:

erica absolutely has my number, but also they are so far out of my price range. This and the SYNTRX are exactly what I want, but I just cannot afford them at all.

Big same. I have the techno system and it’s awesome

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

JamesKPolk posted:

I think the Octatrack was one of the first things to kind of explicitly not do that and allow the stretch to bpm feature, and I wanna say the Pioneer Toraiz series things also do - but you're in 1k flagship range.

e: not the op-1, nvm!

Thanks,

I know the answer to what I'm looking for is basically: "Get Ableton + a controller" but I'm trying to avoid that, probably out of pure contrarianism. I should look up stuff explaining how they did stuff in the trackers + akai sampler days, especially from the early drum + bass guys. They probably ran into the same questions I've got and came up with techniques.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
breaking your sample into a bunch of chunks then sequencing the chunks lets you dynamically adjust the playback speed

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

tylertfb posted:

Thanks,

I know the answer to what I'm looking for is basically: "Get Ableton + a controller" but I'm trying to avoid that, probably out of pure contrarianism. I should look up stuff explaining how they did stuff in the trackers + akai sampler days, especially from the early drum + bass guys. They probably ran into the same questions I've got and came up with techniques.

Honestly, totally get it - I way prefer doing that stuff w/ an MPC over Ableton, even if it means losing a lot of tech. Sound on Sound's archives are a great resource for that kind of thing, to give you a start.

The Voice of Labor posted:

breaking your sample into a bunch of chunks then sequencing the chunks lets you dynamically adjust the playback speed

Ideally, do it as a table that you can look up via the oscillation of a modulatable, audio rate square wave. Wait, what were we talking about again?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

does the digitakt have timestretch? otherwise you could possibly get a used octatrack mk1 for… well not cheap but

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Got me some new modules! It's the DROID with a few expanders. If you're not familiar with it it's a scriptable CV controller. You can do LFOs, envelopes, sequencers, quantizers, arps and chords (the developer previously worked on ACL Sinfonion's code and you can replicate most of its functionality pretty easily with these but with added flexibility) or pretty much anything that's not audio. You can use big building blocks that contain an entire sequencer in one or do more custom mathy stuff out of smaller blocks or whatever. The biggest downside of course is that you need to decide what you want to do with them in advance and then script it on a computer. IIRC you can store multiple programs in the memory that you can switch when the system starts but I don't think it's going to be like most multifuntion modules are where you change its functionality for every patch.

There's an upcoming motor fader expander which looks crazy. I feel like we're going to see these in many live cases in the future...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WYYDAlfkxs&t=355s

edit: Also spotted at Superbooth is this lil’ gem on the right hand side:

I’m waiting for the passive ashtray expander before I pull the trigger though.

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 17, 2021

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
I got a two parter.

Perfect Circuit just released this video on the Moog Matriarch that is awesome, a more deep dive into tips and tricks and a video walkthrough of how to do things that might not be evident right out of the gate.

https://youtu.be/CM99toCQEZA

I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything like this specifically for the Moog Voyager XL? There's something about this format of walkthrough that I find super easy to digest, would love to see it for a synth I actually have access to.

—-

On the topic of the Voyager XL, I saw on Moogs website that they manufactured 14,000 voyagers before discontinuing them. I’m wondering if anyone has any idea how many voyager XLs were made?

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

tylertfb posted:

Thanks,

Roland's vp9000?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That new Erica Synths drum machine sounds so good. The specs mention some parameter automation and I'd be interested to see how it's implemented there.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

That new Erica Synths drum machine sounds so good. The specs mention some parameter automation and I'd be interested to see how it's implemented there.

From the video it looks like you record knobs movement in real time and it stores it in the sequence (like some volcas do).

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

watho posted:

does the digitakt have timestretch? otherwise you could possibly get a used octatrack mk1 for… well not cheap but

It doesn't have a proper timestretch mode, but people have figured out a workaround by filling the pattern with trigs and using the lfo to restart the sample at each trig at the proper timing. Its a bit convoluted but not difficult to do.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

net work error posted:

I want to hear a demo with less distortion

watho
Aug 2, 2013

titty_baby_ posted:

It doesn't have a proper timestretch mode, but people have figured out a workaround by filling the pattern with trigs and using the lfo to restart the sample at each trig at the proper timing. Its a bit convoluted but not difficult to do.

aren’t you doing granular processing at that point? i mean it owns and if it works it works but that’s a hell of a workaround

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Given how much of a workhorse even just the standard desktop Hydrasynth is, this is absolute overkill and I love it for that.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

watho posted:

aren’t you doing granular processing at that point? i mean it owns and if it works it works but that’s a hell of a workaround

wait til you find out what most timestreching algorithms are doing

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

JamesKPolk posted:

fft, stretch the spectrogram, then run back through an additive synth? idk

would be nice if they did translate audio to an image and then resize it with ai that adds details

watho
Aug 2, 2013

JamesKPolk posted:

no i know that. it’s just very funny to me that people are doing it manually. it’s very cool but also funny

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Speaking of granular I'm loving this plugin "emergence" that's a 4-lane granular delay you can download for free (supported via patreon if you are so inclined). The author recently added a modulation system that made it a lot better, and I'm really impressed by what it can do already in version 0.2.0.

Granular processing is :coal: - one of the things I like about LION synth is its weird granular oscillators. They don't necessarily sound good on their own, as such, not to say useless but they really pay off when combined with its interesting mixer capabilities. You can set up like the Terrain mode making up a sort of virtual wavetable between a granular oscillator and a swarm of SAWs, scrubbed following spectral envelope or something - it can be really cool in how it can be made to behave. And I've enjoyed the granular delays in BYOME and TRIAD, too. Though I will say, emergence is really nice sounding and capable in its particulars, very musical (well, that's part of its range, anyway).

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 17, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

watho posted:

it’s very cool but also funny

agreed :c00l:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'm having GAS again for this. Another tracker like the polyend but with a smaller footprint and costing a few hundred less.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that thing is sweet. does it sample or just run internal synths?
edit I am dumb its right there on the page

cool. dude seems like a pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrezDUTzMs4

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 18, 2021

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I completely forgot I preordered one, looks like it'll be shipping next week. If it's as powerful as it looks, I'll probably sell my Polyend.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Having practiced the tape, synths and drums on the OP-1 for a couple weeks, I’m very happy with my decision to get one.

Just gotta get a better hang of the sequencer and sampler and off I go.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

And a much cheaper portable version of the original with the cool keyboard features still. That one is definitely tempting but looking at the dreadbox polysynth first because that's more likely to vanish forever after a little while.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Even me the most computer dislikin’ motherfucker can’t help but think that big hydrasynth is one of the coolest instruments I’ve ever seen.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

its a good thing they're out of units lol I would have ordered one

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

My new vintage radio shack tape recorder arrived.Here's a test I did with it
Little hungover fooling around. Happy enough that I can record my nonsense to play back in my old car.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

B33rChiller posted:

Anybody here have an AE modular rig? They sure do look enticing.

From a little back, but I have a system and I really like it. It scratches my modular itch. The biggest problem I have found is that it's a bit noisy. But it's very affordable, fun, and I think the community around it is very open and welcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

After like a 5 year hiatus, 25 years of being a gear hoarder and having a home studio, I've sold nearly all of my gear and I'm left with nothing except my Korg MS-20, the accompanying SQ-10, and an audio interface. Software-wise, I've deleted everything except Cool Edit Pro, Max/MSP/Jitter and Reaper (with pre-alpha version of Max for Reaper) It's been the most liberating thing I've done musically and I'm enjoying programming songs again for the first time in many years. I highly recommend dumping the majority of your crap if you're having motivational difficulties.