Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I really miss the old tech system of CK1 where technology would spread out by region naturally over time, and I think you could only occasionally encourage it. CK2 made it really weird and not organic at all, even if you can now not get screwed by not being able to get crossbows before your neighbors.

I don't know how CK3 does it, but a mix of CK1 and CK2 where you encourage development in an area, but can't just force by getting POINTs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
good news! that is exactly how CK3 does it

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Make an alternate history scenario where the German Coast Uprising escalated and the War of 1812 ends with the British backing a freshly-independent ex-slave-run Louisiana to spite the Americans.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

War of 1812 but Isaac Brock and Tecumseh are driving Sherman tanks. Bonus points for Mecha-Laura Secord

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Mister Olympus posted:

good news! that is exactly how CK3 does it

Well now I really have to think whether I want to buy CK3. I was turned off by the 3D figures and stuff, but if it's a superior game in mechanics and immersion... hmmm...

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Well now I really have to think whether I want to buy CK3. I was turned off by the 3D figures and stuff, but if it's a superior game in mechanics and immersion... hmmm...

The 3D figures are about as noticeable as in any other Paradox game (not very unless you look specifically for them). CK3 is definitely one of Paradox's better releases (if not the best) of the past few years.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Tbh I think CK2 is still the better game. CK3 has a good base but needs more mechanics. Kinda the normal release cycle.

Otoh it's god-tier for playing dressup with your monarch, and isn't that why we play? (The romanians in particular have very, very good hats.)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The 3D figures get to be the best part because you have such a top-tier character creator on account of it, the DNA system is super robust so you can track family resemblances

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

The 3D figures get to be the best part because you have such a top-tier character creator on account of it, the DNA system is super robust so you can track family resemblances

Only Paradox game to get a Monster Factory episode:

https://youtu.be/bs0zhMCul5Q

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
The thing I miss most about the first Crusader Kings is the way cultures changed through trade routes. In CKII Jerusalem can become Scottish just because both counties have a coastline, and in CKIII Mongolia can become Scottish just because the King said so.

II is till vastly better than the first one though, and only a bit better than the third one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The thing I miss most about CK1 is that one trumpet sound effect. You know the one.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Pakled posted:

The thing I miss most about CK1 is that one trumpet sound effect. You know the one.

It's locked in the same mental folder as the V2 factroy and railroad sounds, and the "selecting military unit" EU3 sound (or maybe I'm thinking of the V2 sound again)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
V2 is the one where when you click a laborer pop, it goes "work work"

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I play EU on speed 5 always and have modded out the 'cash in' clink sound effect so that playing the game doesn't sound like...

clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink!

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Fintilgin posted:

I play EU on speed 5 always and have modded out the 'cash in' clink sound effect so that playing the game doesn't sound like...

clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink! clink!

Mods?!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

coward

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the loudest sound in the universe, all thanks to Johan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdSU70HgnHk

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

the loudest sound in the universe, all thanks to Johan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdSU70HgnHk

I knew what that was gonna be before I clicked through; thank you for reviving EU2 trauma.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The loss of Falalalan is the worst thing that's ever happened to EU :colbert:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The loss of Falalalan is the worst thing that's ever happened to EU :colbert:

It's still in EU4? Although after checking it's a dlc pack from ages ago.

Also not as good as older versions :hai:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mans posted:

Vicky TNO: An alternative world where the British won the century even more than normal.

There were two hoi4 mods but one of them died (in that one UK imperialized the whole world).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

At 1:00 PM EST (UTC-5, 10am PST, 17:00 CET, 20:00 MSK+0/UTC+3, 1:00 CST/UTC+8) this Sunday (September 26th), the TNO team be hosting a Twitch stream of Toolbox Theory. The stream will have the lead developers talking about Toolbox Theory, its development, how its systems work, and how they look in action. There may be some bugs but, for the most part, the game looks pretty solid.

While the team will answer some questions, it won't be a Q&A format. No date of release will be announced.

Link forthcoming.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

the clink sound is important because it changes to a disappointing clunk when you lose money, which is important for informing you that Something Has Gone Wrong

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Paradox Interactive cancels unannounced projects to focus the game development pipeline.

Maybe one of the points of disagreement that led to the CEO change? Even still they have a lot in development.

quote:

Paradox Interactive now has fifteen new games in development, some are new titles and some are sequels on existing franchises. Four of these games have been announced; the much demanded grand strategy game Victoria 3, Crusader Kings 3 for consoles, the classic Shadowrun Trilogy for console and Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines 2. Additionally, a number of DLCs are in development, such as Royal Court for Crusader King 3.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The fifteen includes published games. At first I thought it meant only internally developed games and was startled at the number.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I kind of assumed that would have to include published titles to even be possible. I wonder what’s in development for that side of the business other than the assumed CS2.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

Paradox Interactive now has fifteen new games in development, some are new titles and some are sequels on existing franchises. Four of these games have been announced; the much demanded grand strategy game Victoria 3, Crusader Kings 3 for consoles, the classic Shadowrun Trilogy for console and Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines 2. Additionally, a number of DLCs are in development, such as Royal Court for Crusader King 3.

Okay so lets be real, there are 14 new games in development.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Would it really be a sequel to VTM bloodlines if it didnt have an insanely hosed up development?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Alchenar posted:

Okay so lets be real, there are 14 new games in development.

Did they give the preorder money back? If not, still counts IMO.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who the hell plays crusaders kings on a console???

Anno
May 10, 2017

Enough people have played console Stellaris that they keep porting DLCs and bringing it closer to the current PC release. I think Ancient Relics just launched like today. And if Stellaris works for console then CK3 should work even better I’d think.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mans posted:

who the hell plays crusaders kings on a console???

I suspect that building a controller-based UI would also be good practice for when Steam Deck comes out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Paradox have in the past expressed desire to bring all their titles to consoles and it's always seemed like the worst idea in the world

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

paradox should make mobile grand strategy games instead

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Their las foray into mobile went really well.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

HoI4 on console would be a nightmare

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Their las foray into mobile went really well.

in fairness, their last foray into mobile was licensing their name to be attached to a very conventional, generic mobile game developed with a minimum of effort, rather than something reflecting the design sensibilities that are actually the reason anyone likes paradox

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gaius Marius posted:

Paradox have in the past expressed desire to bring all their titles to consoles and it's always seemed like the worst idea in the world

You'd think it wouldn't work, but the console people actually get resources to make a UI and that really helps.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
CK honestly sounds fine for consoles to me; micromanagement is a core part of EU4/Stellaris (curious how well the console version works on that...) but really not for CK unless you're a turbonerd who powergames the fun out of everything. The game is basically just clicking through various event popups and clicking on the plot interface every 5 minutes or something; very little of it is particularly fiddly or time sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They also put their games on Xbox game pass so you get the base PC and Console version, which means a bit of money from Microsoft but also an entry point to a huge number of people.

There's probably also a group of people who install first time on console, say "this experience is crap but I do like the idea of this weird game" and then install on PC where they wouldn't have done so previously.