Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Truman Peyote posted:

oh, didn't know that. in my ending, your guy is crazy, which to me means there's no guarantee that any of these important decisions or actions happened at all

that part stays the same. the three (really 3.5) endings are:

fail the mirror dialog and shoot yourself

survive the mirror dialog and get rescued

fight the rescue squad and get killed

kill the rescue squad and become the new warlord of dubai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

oh. pretty sure I got the first of those. but in any of them, if the guy has been hallucinating or misattributing everything that happened, how is anything he did supposed to have moral weight? he wasn't really in control of his actions, so what are we supposed to learn from them?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
they're right, it is 2017!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Truman Peyote posted:

oh. pretty sure I got the first of those. but in any of them, if the guy has been hallucinating or misattributing everything that happened, how is anything he did supposed to have moral weight? he wasn't really in control of his actions, so what are we supposed to learn from them?

It's a gradual process. Your dude wasn't crazy at the start, he became crazy through the course of the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think the intended reading is the white phosphorus scene broke his brain

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lol. is Jen Kirkman still crazy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

speaking of hughes, molly ringwald wrote a great retrospective

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/what-about-the-breakfast-club-molly-ringwald-metoo-john-hughes-pretty-in-pink

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Truman Peyote posted:

in the good ending you kill a bunch of US soldiers

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

goddamn prisoners of the ghost lands was weird

then i watched the first two thirds or so of the first fast and furious movie. it wasn't very good. hopefully the later movies are a bit more enjoyable. the main problem wasn't the acting (which was bad but whatever, it's a fun car chase movie) or the writing (same) but that the characters were all late-90s/early-2000s wieners. so i expect that the later movies will be better for the parts that actually bothered me.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, the first 3 f&f movies definitely have that late 90’s early 00’s vibe

it fades (and the series settles into its groove) at the 4th movie

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i remember enjoying tokyo drift in grad school. that would've been circa 2009 or so probably. so i'll skip 2 and five 4 a shot next time

still trying to procure a copy of Until the End of the World

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

been watching Star Wars rebels with the kiddo, it has better stories than most of other Star Wars media that come out in the last few years

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
if you watch them in the plot timeline order you won't hit tokyo drift for a little while

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hiram Grewgious posted:

i remember enjoying tokyo drift in grad school. that would've been circa 2009 or so probably. so i'll skip 2 and five 4 a shot next time

still trying to procure a copy of Until the End of the World

4 is a thematic reboot where they stop being about the cars and start being about people with the super power of cars
its also not that good but it is setup for 5 and 6 so it is worth watching if you are going to continue with the series

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"a movie about people with super powers that's not very good but you have to watch it to understand the two sequels" describes 50% of the blockbuster movie of the last decade

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’ve only seen FF 3 and 5-9 in full, parts of 1 and 2, and none of 4 which I’ve heard sucks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

haveblue posted:

I think the intended reading is the white phosphorus scene broke his brain

several of the hallucination scenes happened before the WP scene. the WP was just the last straw

imho the lack of a choice is the point, if walker had just walked away and told the army that there were still survivors then less of the bad poo poo would have happened. but then walker wouldn't be a hero/protagonist so obviously he can't turn back at any point. much like how military shooters make you commit heroic warcrimes

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
watched running man

so many good one liners

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bump_fn posted:

watched running man

so many good one liners

Here's subzero, now plain zero.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sweevo posted:

"a movie about people with super powers that's not very good but you have to watch it to understand the two sequels" describes 50% of the blockbuster movie of the last decade

And the fact it applies to only one F&F movie is a sign of their comparative quality

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

watched running man

so many good one liners
it's so good

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/NoConViolence/status/1439613390192787459

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

I have this movie on VHS lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I didn’t see any violence.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/24171455-beverlys-dream

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lmao

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/tngimagebot/status/1439861895301931008

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Dune (thanks :france:) is very good, the critics who didn't like it are morons. Villeneuve is obviously able to see the good parts of the Lynch version and a killer eye for a cool scene.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
nope

the time of the quebecois has come

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
most of the negative reviews seemed to be criticisms of the book basically, most of which were valid but that if you know what you are getting then you are probably okay with.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/xor/status/1365...mber%3D491pti33

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

doesn't that break the "no original research" rule?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah that photo's probably going to get deleted in favor of a grainy zoomed in postage stamp some nerd took at a con

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1174898481229516800

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I enjoyed dunc especially because I have a pavlovian response to the inception BWAAAAAAAAH sound

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
new VHS movie for halloween!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opnSln8Ue2U

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

most of the negative reviews seemed to be criticisms of the book basically, most of which were valid but that if you know what you are getting then you are probably okay with.

It's definitely an epic story, basically no quips or anything. The exposition is still a little clunky but way better than handled than Lynch's version. Costumes and sets still rock. I didn't notice the music at all. I think there were only a couple of references that wouldn't make sense to a newcomer to Dune but it's hard to tell.

If you were expecting a very different movie I can see how it wouldn't be much fun, but it does a great job at being a Dune movie.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how are you all watching it? i thought it wasn't supposed to be out until end of october

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

they're eating spice :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

how are you all watching it? i thought it wasn't supposed to be out until end of october

It's out already in a lot of countries

quote:

France is one of five European territories opening the film on Wednesday alongside Belgium, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. 

It then launches on September 16 in Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and Italy as well as Azerbaijan, Belarus, CIS, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine and the Asian territories of Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong. This will be followed by Austria, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania and Spain on September 17.

Having thought about it some more I think the new Dune is really really good. It's very similar to the Lynch one in many ways, just with many of the bad bits removed or improved. A lot of the set and costume design is just updated versions of the Lynch ones. It's definitely trying to be an epic story, like a Greek myth, and really leans into ideas about other cultures and world's being fundamentally weird and different, not just humans with spaceships and fancier guns.

Villeneuve was the perfect director for this. I'd love him to give Solaris the same treatment, that film sucked and it's such good source material.

And I'm so so happy there wasn't a million throw away quips.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 21, 2021