Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm still mad that someone thinks the sequel movies have undergone a genuine renaissance and not just Reddit memes, and that the SE shittery of the OT is minor. I may never recover from this.

(Even if the blu-rays didn't have all that 90s and onwards poo poo added to them, they're still ugly as all gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BiggestBatman posted:

The dude with the really long post further up the page. Not you, babe. You're beautiful

Oh poo poo you're right - I missed that

edit: I think we need to approach Jonathan Goldstein to do a Heavyweight episode on all this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm still mad that someone thinks the sequel movies have undergone a genuine renaissance and not just Reddit memes, and that the SE shittery of the OT is minor. I may never recover from this.

(Even if the blu-rays didn't have all that 90s and onwards poo poo added to them, they're still ugly as all gently caress)

Glad you’re mad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

It must be very comforting living in 2007. But I have some very bad news about the next 15 years...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

star war is leaking, it's getting everywhere

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Star Wars is leaking out of my BeanpolePeckerwood

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Have any other movies that were once so derided undergone such a critical re-assessment as the prequels? It’s easier to think of inverse examples of movies that randomly won Best Picture and are now considered average or worse, but i can’t think of any movies that have had quite the trajectory of the prequels

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jewmanji posted:

Have any other movies that were once so derided undergone such a critical re-assessment as the prequels? It’s easier to think of inverse examples of movies that randomly won Best Picture and are now considered average or worse, but i can’t think of any movies that have had quite the trajectory of the prequels

I don't know how long the turnaround was, but wasn't 2001 considered one of the worst movies of all time when it was released? Also, not quite the same, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Buster Keaton kind of had to be 'rediscovered' in the 50s.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jewmanji posted:

If I recall correctly, Bonnie & Clyde was hated upon release. There's also just plenty of films that just failed to find an audience when they came out. The Star Wars prequels are just the most high profile version of this happening because it usually happens to a horror movie or something similarly niche.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Thing was loathed upon release.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

feedmyleg posted:

It must be very comforting living in 2007. But I have some very bad news about the next 15 years...

I'm guessing my decision to never really delve into the Star Wars megathreads here was the right one?

CelticPredator posted:

Glad you’re mad.

How dare you. For that I'm going to buy your film when it's out and do my own brand of color timing on it ;)

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 18, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Bonnie and Clyde is better than the star war prequels, I am going to take this brave stand.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Blade Runner

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Heavens gate took a further "terrible reaction" to "actually its good" trip than the prequels

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm guessing my decision to never really delve into the Star Wars megathreads here was the right one?

How dare you. For that I'm going to buy your film when it's out and do my own brand of color timing on it ;)

Lol

Make it look like that Man of Steel video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnd57nxrG_w

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

Bonnie and Clyde is better than the star war prequels, I am going to take this brave stand.

That's ok, I'll take the brave stand that the Star Wars prequels are better than Bonnie & Clyde

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Roth posted:

That's ok, I'll take the brave stand that the Star Wars prequels are better than Bonnie & Clyde

you fucker! you buffoon! no!!!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha! That trailer reminds me of sitting down to watch '300' and absolutely noping out about 3 minutes in just simply due to how ugly the film looked.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Has public opinion actually turned around on the prequals? I thought it was just people comparing them to the new trilogy which has nothing going for it at all. The prequals are at least memorable and fun to some degree.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I don't really want to watch the prequels or the new trilogy again but I will say I would probably want to watch the prequels over the new trilogies if I had to watch one of them.

At least the prequels had a consistent vision behind them and were made by someone who really wanted to make them.

And the duel of the fates fight scene still holds up.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Ego-bot posted:

Has public opinion actually turned around on the prequals? I thought it was just people comparing them to the new trilogy which has nothing going for it at all. The prequals are at least memorable and fun to some degree.

Not really. It's just that the folks who thought they were mostly garbage made fun of them for a few years and then never thought about them again. The only people who still really discuss them positively are going to be those who enjoyed them at the time, or people who watched them as kids who now have access to the internet. That's your cultural reassessment.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

We can always discuss this in the Star Wars thread :twisted:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Yeah people we have maybe five dedicated Star Wars threads across the site. Let’s instead talk about how bad that C’mon C’mon trailer was.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ego-bot posted:

Among middle-aged Star Wars nerds? No, they'll probably hate them until they die. But there's a lot of 20-something people who were young when they first saw them and don't have any particular animosity towards the prequels or may even have, gasp, fond memories of seeing them in theaters. I think people have mostly moved on to more current things to hate.

edit: I watched the C'mon C'mon trailer and it didn't look very interesting but I'm willing to give it a chance because of Joaquin Phoenix. But I really hate the title, I can't explain why I hate it so much but I do. That title combined with the black and white youtube screenshot was an instant turnoff.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 19, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've said this before but these are ultimately all kids movies and the Star Wars movies I was roleplaying on the playground as a lil kid were the prequels. All we really wanted were lightsaber battles and cool looking poo poo and mostly we got em.
Sure there's that RLM joke with a clip of the racist asian aliens ("these are kid's movies??!") discussing trade embargos but let's be real there wasn't actually anything particularly complex happening and it didnt turn me away as a kid.
I never had a sense of the "sanctity of Star Wars" as a kid vis a vis the original trilogy, so nothing was betrayed or lost. I wanted more bzzzapp bsshhhhhh bshhhh, i thought the Darth Maul battle was cool and Duel of the Fates did a lot of work.

Edit woops no more star wars. I didnt watch the cmon cmon trailer cuz i find Mike Mills pretty white boring filmmaking but here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-GJ3lk0GCA

Paul Dano becoming a comic book villain is pretty funny to me

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 19, 2021

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Edit; I don’t get why this new Batman movie exists.

MLSM fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 19, 2021

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
robert oattinson looks cool as batman

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Yeah people we have maybe five dedicated Star Wars threads across the site. Let’s instead talk about how bad that C’mon C’mon trailer was.

lol I thought I was alone. I'm impatient with a trailer which is pretty sad. I usually jump if there's no discernable hook or reason to spend all of the next 2 minutes to watch.

Cmon Cmon had NOTHING going on

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I didnt realize before the incredibly bland 21st Century Women Mike Mills was responsible for this film

with a poster so painfully white i think it's giving me internal bleeding

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Punkin Spunkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-GJ3lk0GCA

Paul Dano becoming a comic book villain is pretty funny to me

just to be clear that's a fan edit

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thank god, I thought I was going crazy because I'd seen every moment of that footage before.

Absolutely nothing about that trailer (original or fan edit) excites me, outside of knowing that Pattinson and Reeves tend to make good films.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shageletic posted:

lol I thought I was alone. I'm impatient with a trailer which is pretty sad. I usually jump if there's no discernable hook or reason to spend all of the next 2 minutes to watch.

Cmon Cmon had NOTHING going on

I posted it and feel the same way. I mean I love Joaquin and A24 is solid of course so I have to expect something is there. But it's not compelling at all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

The Thing was loathed upon release.

Funnier still, I think it was released the same summer as ET and Blade Runner (a rather good example). ET smashed them both

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Peanut President posted:

just to be clear that's a fan edit
God im going boomer, didnt even notice i was sharing a fan trailer

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Roth posted:

Star Wars is leaking out of my BeanpolePeckerwood

your wet dream....is my unending nachtmare

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

As a huge fan of the book, this is an insane statement.

Why? You have two T-rex's and a crazy down river chase scene. You have Muldoon being a huge badass. You have the velociraptors being even more badass. You have Hammond being an evil industrialist who gets his comeuppance.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why? You have two T-rex's and a crazy down river chase scene. You have Muldoon being a huge badass. You have the velociraptors being even more badass. You have Hammond being an evil industrialist who gets his comeuppance.

I just wish we could have had a dinosaur movie that wasn't a monster movie.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

This to me was probably the biggest mistake in the movie adaptation, btw. Turning Hammond into a grandfatherly Walt Disney type single handedly changed the message of the book from "capitalism ruins everything" to "man should not meddle in nature's domain". As valid a message sure, but not as relevant.

Hell, book!Hammond even had an entire whiny rant about how he refuses to help mankind by using InGen's technology for medical purposes because the big bad Government would not let him charge a thousand dollars a dose for life saving medicine. Talk about a passage that somehow managed to age both well AND poorly at the same time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Going back to West Side story the composer who wrote the songs for the play, didn't like the 1961 movie, supposedly loves Speilberg's adaption.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/west-side-story-movie-stephen-spielberg-sondheim-reaction/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

This to me was probably the biggest mistake in the movie adaptation, btw. Turning Hammond into a grandfatherly Walt Disney type single handedly changed the message of the book from "capitalism ruins everything" to "man should not meddle in nature's domain". As valid a message sure, but not as relevant.

Spielberg literally cannot help himself.