Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

blatman posted:

it basically didnt hit news, just twitter which i checked whenever i got a signal for a few minutes

i posted about it in the canada thread but nobody gave a poo poo lol

weird this didn’t happen here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
You guys missed the point of the video. Humanity literally doomed itself and there is nothing we can do, so focus on personal happiness instead of doomerism. Nothing will save us save except for for a tiny chance of benevolent aliens showing or a sci-fi tech breakthrough.

Also, most us will hopefully be at the end of our natural lives by the time the worst of it happens.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Captain Gordon posted:

You guys missed the point of the video. Humanity literally doomed itself and there is nothing we can do, so focus on personal happiness instead of doomerism. Nothing will save us save except for for a tiny chance of benevolent aliens showing or a sci-fi tech breakthrough.

Also, most us will hopefully be at the end of our natural lives by the time the worst of it happens.

If doom doesn't bring you laughter then you need to face the abyss and properly break your brain.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Captain Gordon posted:

my big takeaway was that the process of capitalist industrialization had so much path dependence built into it (and IMO after communism was successfully contained by the capitalist powers) this outcome was already locked in barring a miraculous level of foresight and universal solidarity

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Captain Gordon posted:

lol

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bathtub Cheese posted:

my big takeaway was that the process of capitalist industrialization had so much path dependence built into it (and IMO after communism was successfully contained by the capitalist powers) this outcome was already locked in barring a miraculous level of foresight and universal solidarity

ya for every time the narrator said "don't argue with me" about something i agreed w/him on, he also asserted that climate change could have been avoided (w/miraculous effort) in the early 20th century. i think about the historical forces that made even this unavoidable and lol;

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Captain Gordon posted:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Captain Gordon posted:

We're going to get to live through the lovely and miserable decline while missing out on the catharsis of total collapse, or being too old to care. Worst of all worlds imo

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Mameluke posted:

ya for every time the narrator said "don't argue with me" about something i agreed w/him on, he also asserted that climate change could have been avoided (w/miraculous effort) in the early 20th century. i think about the historical forces that made even this unavoidable and lol;

Now imagine people in 2200 reading poo poo from now about limiting temperatures to 2C by 2100. A hundred years ago for them, if anyone is able to even read the records at all at that point.

Serf
May 5, 2011

IAMKOREA posted:

Now imagine people in 2200

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

IAMKOREA posted:

Now imagine people in 2200 reading poo poo from now about limiting temperatures to 2C by 2100. A hundred years ago for them, if anyone is able to even read the records at all at that point.

well we would have had done something right if that was the case

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Enjoy the sea while you can, kiddo

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Captain Gordon posted:

Nothing will save us save except for for a tiny chance of benevolent aliens showing or a sci-fi tech breakthrough.

Captain Gordon posted:

I'm in my early fifties, no kids of my own, my parents both turned 80 this year. I kinda consider us lucky, my parents more than me. Of all the lifespans in humanity, they, albeit a supremely lovely start being born and living in Germany in 1941, got picked to live in the best decades humanity got to experience. They witnessed technical advancements, benefitted from huge strides in medicine, managed to live a life free of strife and need. It could have been so much worse with just a slightly temporal shift or some minor variation in longitude or latitude. But as it turns out, all this came with a price ...

There's a small chance I might be able to ride it out as well or at least sit back and watch it all go up in flames while washing down a bottle of pills with all the liqour left in the cabinet.

Pretty much all my friends have 2-3 kids between the ages 5 and 13 though. One's an outlier at the age of 23, and he knows.
It's heartbreaking.

I haven't seen them much over the last 18 months, but I kinda dread hanging out with them again once Covid is actually managable.
I just don't trust myself to not start crack pinging hard once I get a couple of drinks in me, effectively ruining everyone's barbecue and never getting invited back ever again.

mcbexx has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Sep 18, 2021

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

mcbexx posted:

I'm in my early fifties, no kids of my own, my parents both turned 80 this year. I kinda consider us lucky, my parents more than me. Of all the lifespans in humanity, they, albeit a supremely lovely start being born and living in Germany in 1941, got picked to live in the best decades humanity got to experience. They witnessed technical advancements, benefitted from huge strides in medicine, managed to live a life free of strife and need. It could have been so much worse with just a slightly temporal shift or some minor variation in longitude or latitude. But as it turns out, all this came with a price ...

There's a small chance I might be able to ride it out as well or at least sit back and watch it all go up in flames while washing down a bottle of pills with all the liqour left in the cabinet.

Pretty much all my friends have 2-3 kids between the ages 5 and 13 though. One's an outlier at the age of 23, and he knows.
It's heartbreaking.

I haven't seen them much over the last 18 months, but I kinda dread hanging out with them again once Covid is actually managable.
I just don't trust myself to not start crack pinging hard once I get a couple of drinks in me, effectively ruining everyone's barbecue and never getting invited back ever again.

Cheers to you gen x. You did your best...but capitalism is a mean son of a bitch.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

dnd climate thread is rallying people to switch search engines to the one that plants trees for you :a2m: :thaoldme:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Captain Gordon posted:

Cathartic devotion to doomerism is my source of personal happiness, and as valid as any other as per the logic of the video.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i can’t find it but there was this article
saying how by destroying the kyoto accords GW Bush saved humanity because the “bottom up” approach through the Paris accords would surely lead to greater CO2 reduction as those with the greater means will be able to deliver greater results

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

the rooskies have good doomer music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJfbW6qPHjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YePLW8JZC0A

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMR4Re2Ab/

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
This can hardly be described as a "stab in the back". If you read the article:

Here's what happened:

• On January 21st, one day after taking office, Biden signed Executive Order 14008 to, among many other things, put a pause on oil and gas drilling. Section 208 is the relevant section.
  • On February 12th, the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) rescinded their decision for the lease sales in Gulf of Mexico, along with several other sites, in accordance with the EO.
  • In March, Louisiana and twelve other states (AL, AK, AR, GA, MS, MO, MT, NE, OK, TX, UT, and WV) filed a motion for preliminary injunction on the basis that the EO violates two Congressional statues: the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act of 1953 ("OCSLA") and the Mineral Leasing Act of 1920 ("MLA").
  • In May, the administration filed their opposition.
  • In June, the DC Circuit ruled in favor of the states. Here's the reasoning (from page 33 of the ruling) of the Trump-appointed judge:

• The administration appealed the ruling on August 16th, but while the appeals process takes place the preliminary injunction on the Pause remains in effect (i.e. the administration is legally compelled to continue the lease sales).
  • On August 31st, the BOEM announced that the lease sale will continue.

Next, let's talk about the tweet. It's worth noting that one of the founders of The Daily Poster is David Sirota, who is currently its Editor in Chief. As many of you know, Sirota was a senior advisor for Bernie's 2020 presidential campaign. He has been incredibly salty and petty about Bernie's loss, and has been conducting a campaign of trying to undermine Biden and his administration since then. He has also shared the DP article on his own account:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1439253066981597184

This was then retweeted by the DP account:

https://twitter.com/dailyposter/status/1439254325465739266

Aside from the pathetic and embarrassing (not to mention duplicitous) sock-puppet behavior demonstrated above, the primary claim that is pushed by Sirota/DP is that the Biden administration is dismissing the IPCC report as unimportant. You can tell by the title of the DP article: “Does Not Present Sufficient Cause”, which is almost mockingly quoting the decision document by BOEM. The suggested reasoning is that Joe Biden cares more about corporate interests than the environment, and major media outlets are not raising a huge stink about it because they are — you guessed it — owned by corporations. Sirota also injects other claims, such as the bit about "Biden's plan to vastly expand offshore drilling"... which appears to be a flat out lie. Maybe Sirota is envisioning a scenario where Joe Biden himself screamed "lease out those wells NOW!" and everyone scrambled to comply and the few aides who dared to mutter "b...b...but sir... your campaign promises..." got fired, but what is actually taking place is simply a series of boring administrative and legal procedures.

Now, let's do some more digging. The quote in the article title is taken from the Record of Decision (ROD) document released by BOEM, which the article links to. Here's the relevant bit (from page 7):

The cited case, Stand Up for California! v. United States Dep’t of the Interior, can be found here. The case itself pertains to a rather long and complex dispute between a tribe in California and the Department of Interior. The details aren't particularly relevant; the reason it was cited in the ROD document is that it has a section that describes the circumstances that warrant supplementing an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) or preparing a new one. Emphasis mine:

To summarize, supplementing an EIS is necessary only if new and substantial information comes to light between when the final EIS is published and when the decision is being deliberated on.

At this point, you might be wondering why the IPCC doesn't qualify. After all, it did in fact issue warnings about catastrophic climate change, and everyone knows burning fossil fuels is a contributor. So why did BOEM conclude that it did not "present sufficient cause" to supplement the EIS? Not that supplementing it would actually change the final decision, since that decision was forced/mandated by the DC Circuit — but it is still worth discussing since it lies at the heart of Sirota's breathless reporting that aims to paint Joe Biden as anti-environment.

There are a few possible reasons. The most obvious one is that the IPCC report does not actually contain any new research. Indeed, the wikipedia page for IPCC explicitly says this:

The assessment reports are compilations of existing (several decades worth of) scientific literature reviewed, analyzed and summarized by a UN panel of scientists for consumption by policy makers, who themselves may not have a scientific background. It is quite unlikely that it contains any new information that the BOEM career employees (who are actually experts in their relevant fields) who wrote the EIS were not aware of.

It's also worth noting that even though EIS stands for "environmental impact statement", the documents are actually massive reports, usually spanning multiple hundred pages. They can take years to prepare. Here's the relevant one. It is very long, but essentially compares the benefits and impacts of five different alternative approaches for the lease sale. These are compared in the executive summary, on page :

The immediate thing that might pop out at someone looking at this carefully is that even though these categories are related to various aspects of the environment (air quality, water quality, impact on protected species, etc.), they are different from the concerns of IPCC, which relate to climate change as a whole. In other words, there's a real good chance that the IPCC report was considered to have a very different scope and did not have any information that would tangibly conflict with and/or alter the analysis in the EIS.

To conclude:

• Biden signed an EO which put oil and gas leases on pause (which he wouldn't have done if he indeed did not care).
  • The courts issued a preliminary injunction on the Pause.
  • The administration has appealed the ruling (which they wouldn't do if they indeed did not care).
  • The EIS was not written by "the administration", but rather by career employees at BOEM, who tend to both be very well-shielded from political pressure and also know their poo poo.

To mods/IKs: Please start enforcing the guidelines outlined in the Media Literacy thread so as to reduce the noise to signal ratio in this thread. People need to actually read the stuff they are posting, and seek confirmation from other sources, rather than, you know, breathlessly coming into this thread to slam controversial tweets along with zero effort edgy/cynical commentary.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

dnd climate thread is rallying people to switch search engines to the one that plants trees for you :a2m: :thaoldme:

Lol you made me look in the bad forum for this and just lmao see my post above this Jesus Christ what is wrong with them

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

IAMKOREA posted:

Lol you made me look in the bad forum for this and just lmao see my post above this Jesus Christ what is wrong with them

By "going green" they can feel better about themselves while doing absolutely nothing. Keep the lifestyle, ditch the guilt.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

*drills all the oil*

I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't care

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It seems my actions may destroy the planet, but you must understand that global-scale destruction is not within the scope of my operating mandate

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Now now, if you're gonna quote me at least give me credit. It took me quite a while to write all that!

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Turtle Sandbox posted:

By "going green" they can feel better about themselves while doing absolutely nothing. Keep the lifestyle, ditch the guilt.
green slacktivism

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol I tried ecosia just to gently caress around and the search is dog poo poo garbage. Like I end up flipping back to google a ton because ill know the exact search terms for something and cannot get poo poo to populate, switch back to google with the same terms and get what I was looking for. Drives me up the wall.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

Now now, if you're gonna quote me at least give me credit. It took me quite a while to write all that!

Haha oh my god i can't imagine the kind of person who would write that post in D&D and also lurk the cspam climate thread holy gently caress I'm dying over here lmao

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

To mods/IKs: Please start enforcing the guidelines outlined in the Media Literacy thread so as to reduce the noise to signal ratio in this thread.

Ahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahhhhabahahahah what the gently caress is this lmfao

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

IAMKOREA posted:

Haha oh my god i can't imagine the kind of person who would write that post in D&D and also lurk the cspam climate thread holy gently caress I'm dying over here lmao

It's fairly telling that they all read this thread however no goon has had the balls to post "Through The Eye of a Needle" over there yet, with its many largely irrefutable conclusions regarding material constraints. :science:

Cope yourselves into the grave, we'll enjoy the LMAO's on the way down.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rime posted:

It's fairly telling that they all read this thread however no goon has had the balls to post "Through The Eye of a Needle" over there yet, with its many largely irrefutable conclusions regarding material constraints. :science:

I'm flattered, Rime, but I'm hardly representative of "they"!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of feel bad for D&D posters because they have this extremely regulated environment to do those incredibly intricate mental gymnastics routines and I can't imagine needing something like that that badly.

I have a feeling if any of them watched that c-spam video going around they would just construct an elaborate 3 hour loose change style unhinged rebuttal telling everyone to calm down and plant trees.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
we must comply with the federal court order to suck our own dicks and balls

alas, those are the rules

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Slow News Day posted:

we're all proud of you

only the best posts are quoted here

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I kind of feel bad for D&D posters because they have this extremely regulated environment to do those incredibly intricate mental gymnastics routines and I can't imagine needing something like that that badly.

I have a feeling if any of them watched that c-spam video going around they would just construct an elaborate 3 hour loose change style unhinged rebuttal telling everyone to calm down and plant trees.

To mods/IKs: Please start enforcing the guidelines outlined in the Media Literacy thread so as to reduce the noise to signal ratio in this thread

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Debate Club in high school was the peak of their life, and anything that doesn't mimic that pointless discourse reminds them of that fact

The US Congress is Debate Club with the added benefit of grifting, and that is their dream job

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Rime posted:

I haven't read the needle thing can you post a link pls thanks buddy

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Where does Desert fall wrt cspam climate collapse thread. That was what, 2011?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

gently caress you for making me read this, why is d&d the way they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
2000 words on why it's good, actually, for Biden to resume selling drilling permits