Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Possibly, but even in that case the midterms would have been a bloodbath, and McConnell would just hold all the seats open for 8 years then.

Or 12 or 16 or whatever, even the New Deal Democrats lost the presidency eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like under a Clinton presidency we'd have seen red states outlaw the vaccine.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Possibly, but even in that case the midterms would have been a bloodbath, and McConnell would just hold all the seats open for 8 years then.

Or 12 or 16 or whatever, even the New Deal Democrats lost the presidency eventually

Well, we sure can't argue with this poo poo you made up from whole cloth and pulled out of your rear end!

No, seriously, there's literally nothing to argue with. It's pure fanfiction. This goes well beyond what-ifs (which are usually dumb in the first place) and straight into completely fabricating possible alternate universe future poo poo to get mad at.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah can we cut it out with the dueling counterfactuals in this thread please?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I keep thinking about what people will do when Roe is overturned explicitly next year, and I can’t see any outcome other than people shrugging and accepting it after some large liberal-respectable protests where Biden or Pelosi says something like “the answer is ‘keep fighting’! Vote!” and maybe they sell tshirts of it later.

Since the middle class can just travel out of state to get one it doesn’t surprise me.

The one thing I don’t get is why republicans are so pro birth. It’s the minorities they hate who are getting abortions, and those who cannot afford kids. Those demographics growing doesn’t help them long term.

I suppose they believe democracy will be dead by then with universal republican rule?

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
You can't go to heaven if you don't lord something over other people

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Hamelekim posted:

Since the middle class can just travel out of state to get one it doesn’t surprise me.

The one thing I don’t get is why republicans are so pro birth. It’s the minorities they hate who are getting abortions, and those who cannot afford kids. Those demographics growing doesn’t help them long term.

I suppose they believe democracy will be dead by then with universal republican rule?

Minorities being required to have children via outlawing abortion, but then cutting the social safety nut from beneath them, is a "great" way to keep them amongst the lower social echelon. Especially when they're often living in (liberal) cities and thus pushing any resource burdens onto the city instead of the state/federal government.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the other hand, if people did vote for Hillary Clinton the court would be 6-3 Liberal right now, if Kennedy retired regardless of replacement; or 5-4 Liberal if he retired in exchange to get Kavannaugh to replace him in exchange for Hillary's pick to also get a vote.

Goddamn you really drank the koolaid huh

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

mandatory lesbian posted:

Goddamn you really drank the koolaid huh
What's the koolaid in this instance?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Artificial Kid posted:

What's the koolaid in this instance?

Well for one, clinton won the popular vote so blaming her loss on people not voting instead of the system which allows that to happen is the first thing. The fanfiction about her choices for replacement justices is another.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hamelekim posted:

https://twitter.com/choo_ek/status/1129938254998822912?s=19

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

It’s just a thing they believe to affirm their identity—they’re not thinking about the consequences of it. Some of them probably abstractly imagine white babies that thank them for being born.

This doesn’t stop them from accusing anyone defending abortion of racism.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm sure many of them earnestly believe that abortion is a terrible moral ill.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SourKraut posted:

Minorities being required to have children via outlawing abortion, but then cutting the social safety nut from beneath them, is a "great" way to keep them amongst the lower social echelon. Especially when they're often living in (liberal) cities and thus pushing any resource burdens onto the city instead of the state/federal government.

Yup. Stripping basic family planning and sexual health options is an explicitly fundamental method to keeping the poor as poor as loving possible.

You’ve got to keep them desperate and hungry so there’s a large pool of unskilled laborers to raise your kids or clean your house.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm sure many of them earnestly believe that abortion is a terrible moral ill.

Until their mistress needs one anyway

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LeeMajors posted:

Yup. Stripping basic family planning and sexual health options is an explicitly fundamental method to keeping the poor as poor as loving possible.

You’ve got to keep them desperate and hungry so there’s a large pool of unskilled laborers to raise your kids or clean your house.

And fill your prisons so you can exploit them for slave labor since it wasn't a coincidence that post-CW amendments included an exception where slavery can still be applied.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Evil Fluffy posted:

And fill your prisons so you can exploit them for slave labor since it wasn't a coincidence that post-CW amendments included an exception where slavery can still be applied.

Greatest Country In The World :911:

I’m not sure what actual justifications for this poo poo can be made but it’s insanely apparent that this demon cracker rear end nation is on par with gulag era USSR in terms of sheer disregard for humanity. Our mythos doesn’t hold up to even the mildest critical view—which is certainly why public education has been perpetually under all-out assault. What a squandered opportunity we had with all these resources.

gently caress.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

VitalSigns posted:

Until their mistress needs one anyway

in the abortion-providing world we say there are three exceptions most anti-choicers are cool with: rape, incest, and mine

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/572698-clarence-thomas-warns-against-destroying-our-institutions-defends

The fact that Thomas is also going on this charm offensive to argue that the court's reputation is so important and the justices need to work so hard to make sure the court's integrity is protect the same week Barrett did is pretty interesting. Is this an attempt to brainwash people into thinking their overturn of Roe is going to be a legitimate unbiased Ball-v-Strike Call and totally not them imposing their ideology on the nation, or they trying to lay out a rationale for why they're not going to do it to try and soften the backlash if they demure?

God knows it has to be one of those two things because there's not a single honest word anywhere in either of their statements.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1438732208257343488

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I keep thinking about what people will do when Roe is overturned explicitly next year, and I can’t see any outcome other than people shrugging and accepting it after some large liberal-respectable protests where Biden or Pelosi says something like “the answer is ‘keep fighting’! Vote!” and maybe they sell tshirts of it later.

I don’t know if this is the right thread for it, but it’s really upsetting to me. Like with people deciding they won’t wear masks or get vaccinated, it seems like another thing that breaks society that there’s not a solution for in our present circumstance.

The good part comes when you start applying your observed systemic failures to another problem that requires action on a national or world wide scale, namely climate change.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sanguinia posted:

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/572698-clarence-thomas-warns-against-destroying-our-institutions-defends

The fact that Thomas is also going on this charm offensive to argue that the court's reputation is so important and the justices need to work so hard to make sure the court's integrity is protect the same week Barrett did is pretty interesting. Is this an attempt to brainwash people into thinking their overturn of Roe is going to be a legitimate unbiased Ball-v-Strike Call and totally not them imposing their ideology on the nation, or they trying to lay out a rationale for why they're not going to do it to try and soften the backlash if they demure?

God knows it has to be one of those two things because there's not a single honest word anywhere in either of their statements.

It's the same thing as always: they claim not to be doing <thing> the whole time they are doing <thing> right in front of everyone and will then proceed claiming they never did <thing> while also saying any attempts to undo <thing> are in fact everyone else doing <thing>.

So expect them to say "we're not ruling on personal politics" all over the place inside the majority opinion and lengthy concurrences where they make poo poo up to overturn Roe precedent and either outlaw abortion overall or allow it to be outlawed by state and county governments. Then they'll take a victory lap and pat themselves on the back about what a good and apolitical thing they did for america and anyone against it is just a big ol' political meanie with corrupt intent and not anything like the clearheaded, doe-eyed pure constitutional jurisprudence golems of the present majority.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sanguinia posted:

“I think the media makes it sound as though you are just always going right to your personal preference. So if they think you are antiabortion or something personally, they think that’s the way you always will come out,” Thomas, who is Catholic, explained.

If our media wasn't completely worthless maybe someone would've asked Thomas for some examples of when he ruled in contradiction with his person preference and watch him come up empty (and then he'd complain and the GOP would blackball that outlet while demanding the reporter be fired).

Can't wait to see what sort of idiotic reasoning the SCOTUS uses to overturn 116 years of precedence and gut a core function and purpose of government. Especially since the mandate has a religious exception and IIRC, Jacobson didn't even make that exception which is the right call because 99% of religious 'exemptions' are bullshit personal stubbornness.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sanguinia posted:

Gaslighters gonna Gaslight. And they'll do so harder when they realize you aren't buying it.

Next they'll probably start talking about America just isn't mature enough to accept a Court as "impartial" as this one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The fact that they're addressing it at all is an indicator of how hosed they know things are.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't want to call it a charm offensive but it's certainly the latter.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't want to call it a charm offensive but it's certainly the latter.

its certainly a harm offensive

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://twitter.com/ProfMMurray/status/1439226459709714434

:tif:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That's the brief where he also says women won't be adversely affected by a full abortion ban because they can always just choose not to have sex.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Don't amicus briefs don't hold any real legal weight? They're just "friend of court giving their 2 cents" and anyone can file them.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Don't amicus briefs don't hold any real legal weight? They're just "friend of court giving their 2 cents" and anyone can file them.

Correct, but amicus briefs are considered by the court as evidence given, and sometimes cited in a decision.

And consider who this brief is coming from: the lawyer who drafted the Texas 6-week abortion thing, which despite being blatantly against precedent is enough of Calvinball Law that the SC didn't see any problem in letting it stand. And he's explicitly saying he wants to overturn protections for LGBT+ people.

It's worrying, to say the least.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

What does gay marriage or anti-sodomy legislation have to do with abortion? Like, shouldn't an amicus brief at least THEORETICALLY stay on the loving topic at hand instead of flying off into lala land?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

What does gay marriage or anti-sodomy legislation have to do with abortion? Like, shouldn't an amicus brief at least THEORETICALLY stay on the loving topic at hand instead of flying off into lala land?

The brief is from an extreme (even by US standards) right wing theocrat. You shouldn't look for logic where none exists.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

They're all rights "invented" by the courts (logically applying a consistent interpretation of the constitution to all people). The brief invites the court to declare that the "traditional" view that constitutional rights only apply to straight white Christian men should be the guiding principle of justice.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sanguinia posted:

Roe, Obergefell, and Lawrence all have Griswold as a historical antecedent. Current right-wing constitutional revanchists want to dismantle the idea of "penumbral" rights, and so if they can get their toe in the door with a calvinball One Weird Trick on Roe, they want to assert that it affects every other decision predicated on unenumerated rights.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mikl posted:

Correct, but amicus briefs are considered by the court as evidence given, and sometimes cited in a decision.

And consider who this brief is coming from: the lawyer who drafted the Texas 6-week abortion thing, which despite being blatantly against precedent is enough of Calvinball Law that the SC didn't see any problem in letting it stand. And he's explicitly saying he wants to overturn protections for LGBT+ people.

It's worrying, to say the least.

Amicus briefs aren’t quite evidence, they’re advisory to the court. (They may cite social science evidence and sometimes that’s relied upon but typically they’re either supporting a party’s position or elaborating on some aspect of what’s being considered that the amicus is more interested in than the parties.)

And the Texas bill wasn’t allowed to stand - the Court said that it couldn’t be challenged in that way. That’s not “this is constitutional”, it’s “this isn’t the case to decide it.”

I wouldn’t be particularly worried by this amicus.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kalman posted:

And the Texas bill wasn’t allowed to stand - the Court said that it couldn’t be challenged in that way. That’s not “this is constitutional”, it’s “this isn’t the case to decide it.”

It was the court deciding "gently caress it we like what the bill does despite being extremely Unconstitutional but we're going to kick the can on this since we're getting ready to gut abortion rights anyways."

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kalman posted:

If that wasn't the case to "decide it", what do you think would be an appropriate case will be?

Texas abortion clinics are basically shut down and women are being denied access to critical, time-sensitive constitutionally-guaranteed medical service, which is exactly what every involved knew would happen.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kalman posted:

You can't "One Weird Trick" the Supreme Court, and if it looks like someone did "One Weird Trick" SCOTUS, it's because 5 justices wanted it to look that way. Allowing right-wing Texas Calvinball is not evidence of thoughtful jurisprudence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Stickman posted:

If that wasn't the case to "decide it", what do you think would be an appropriate case will be?

Texas abortion clinics are basically shut down and women are being denied access to critical, time-sensitive constitutionally-guaranteed medical service, which is exactly what every involved knew would happen.

I think it was an appropriate case, to be clear - I’m on the dissenter’s side here. But it’s important to distinguish between a merits decision - the law is fine - and a procedure decision - the law may or may not be fine but we’re not making that decision because there’s a flaw in how the case got to us. If they’d ruled it constitutional, it’d be much harder to get it struck down in the future.

The court will probably wait for it to be actually enforced against someone before being willing to take it up on an emergency basis.