Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Prince Valiant is rightfully getting a lot of attention but this made me lol out loud

A&J has such simple and somewhat weird art but damned if the expressions aren't great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I want the Father Ted pajamas.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Bloop posted:

Prince Valiant is rightfully getting a lot of attention but this made me lol out loud

A&J has such simple and somewhat weird art but damned if the expressions aren't great

A&J has exactly the art it needs. Quick and sketchy, but not flat copypaste and when there needs to be a bit of expression it doesn't clash.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Sonny knows what's up.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I low key believe that Arlo and Janis is bar none the best comic strip posted in this thread about a dead art in a dead medium.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am very adamant that it is the best comic posted in this thread.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Awww nawww, cuz, don't say you got hit by a stray bullet... :smith:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

what is this nightmare fuel?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Crab Dad posted:

what is this nightmare fuel?
Q-Rais (best known probably for Nekonoughey and Sad Bear and Suki Usagi, the comic where the author is tormented by his cute but insufferable pink bunny muse) published this comic alongside them until the end of 2019. He said a few times that it was his favorite comic to draw, but since it didn't sell nearly as well as the fat cat and sad bear, he quit drawing it. Not surprising, but still. Very surreal, sometimes kind of dark, often explores the logical consequences of "a fantasy world inhabited by cute food people".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Huxley posted:

I am very adamant that it is the best comic posted in this thread.
Wallace the Brave :colbert:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I'm afraid that Val is going to have to challenge both of you to trial by combat

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "266 - Jucika Transforms"

"267 - Jucika In Social Work"

"baleset-elhárítási hónap = accident-prevention month"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
I'm starting to suspect this is going to be my Saturday payload from now on. :shrug:

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (September 21, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 20, 1938)

Out Our Way (May 24-26, 1937)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

El Spamo posted:

I'm afraid that Val is going to have to challenge both of you to trial by combat
The best modern comic then is Wallace the Brave.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (September 21, 1974)

So he's going to touch the blanket.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 19, 2021

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strontium posted:

:unsmith:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

No Rae the Doe on weekends!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: the carnivore test (August 18-24, 2003)

Sheep's wool is mostly keratin, and ruminants cannot properly digest it. Not to mention that the carpet hunk is likely to be synthetic, which also cannot be digested by ruminants. Bruno's gonna have a very bad time.

Also, hi Mary! It's been a while since you showed up. For those who don't remember, Mary is Corrie's clone, which at first had aged rapidly as a side-effect of the cloning process, but then was accidentally de-aged and adopted by Candice, the border collie who works in Kevin's ISP business. So she's basically an adult in a toddler's body.

Modern Kevin & Kell

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Clothes make the man (1935/40)

Not gonna lie, I'm not sure why. For fertilizer?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: the carnivore test (August 18-24, 2003)

I'm confused. Isn't this sport about watching the kids kill and eat someone? Or at the very least, doing it with your teammates? I'm not sure why "Murder this child with no witnesses" is considered an acceptable test by parents' group.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Judge Parker (April 2021)

Neddy and Ronnie's show has been picked up by a new streaming service called Plus+. I thought that had already happened since they've been filming it for at least a year already but I guess not? I don't know how TV works. But that plot's on the back burner this month because we've got more exciting news! Remember how Charlotte said she'd seen April outside? And how Randy told Alan, who had Sam go stake the place out to check? Well, he saw her.

And Charlotte saw him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

maltesh posted:

I'm confused. Isn't this sport about watching the kids kill and eat someone? Or at the very least, doing it with your teammates? I'm not sure why "Murder this child with no witnesses" is considered an acceptable test by parents' group.

What better test is there to prove that you're psychopathic enough to kill random strangers for school sport? Here's a toddler that looks like your girlfriend. Kill and eat it to satisfy the PTA.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Dead! October 8, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True November 30, 1918

Gay and Her Gang October 31, 1929

Oaky Doaks April 2, 1936

Mopsy June 5, 1937

Up Front July 14, 1944

Dark Laughter September 25, 1948

drat Kids April 12, 1956

Wee Pals December 23, 1965

Dogbert May 24, 1966

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

goatface posted:

What better test is there to prove that you're psychopathic enough to kill random strangers for school sport? Here's a toddler that looks like your girlfriend. Kill and eat it to satisfy the PTA.

Ah. I guess I wasn't clear. My question is "Why is this test of Bruno's ability to murder publicly for sport held in a sealed-off room with no proctor?"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Strontium posted:

I love Tinkersons.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

maltesh posted:

Ah. I guess I wasn't clear. My question is "Why is this test of Bruno's ability to murder publicly for sport held in a sealed-off room with no proctor?"

Oh, so he's alone with his thoughts. No pressure from eyes on him, just him and the victim eye to eye, close quarters, where the victim has seen him and knows what is coming. Certain that he will see and hear the begging for mercy before he kills and eats them.

He could choose not to kill this innocent, choose to walk out of the room and not play sports this school year. Or he could brutally murder and consume them for no good reason other than to satisfy the local school league guidelines and the bloodlust of some middleaged sad-sacks who are eternally remembering that one time they performed well enough for the coach to slap their butt on the way to the showers.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 23, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 23, 1999)

Garfield Classic (December 23, 1989)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Ya'll are forgetting that in Hellworld, the prey have no rights save the fact if you are known by the predator that kills you, they get in trouble. So being tossed into a room with a high schooler to kill you is just another part of life.

I mean, the only reason this is done in private is so Protagonist Centered Morality can happen yet again. The main cast never actually has to deal with a problem they can't cheat their way out of, and there's never any consequences for it. It reminds me of a lot of the comics/webcomics with the MarySue leads; I remember I used to read one called Harbourmaster, and I really wanted to like it, but how can you have a story about 6 foot tall sentient dragonflies, shapeshifting aliens, and realistic future civilizations (ie there's population control because we don't own the planet we're on) and it be SO BORING? And instead of focusing on anything intense, it's...paperwork. It's 2-3 people talking about poo poo that is common knowledge to them but not the reader. But what mostly strikes me is how, no matter what, the two central characters never actually have real consequences for....anything. Oh, one person is hiding a huge conspiracy, but it's Okay Because We're Friends. Another person manages to end his family's multigenerational grip on some business because He Wants To. There're literally no repercussions that they ever face that is ever dealt with meaningfully. As in, if you found out someone you considered a friend was hiding something huge, you wouldn't just say it's okay. There would be doubts about them for a good while, but nope. Same as if your super rich family needs/wants you to continue the line, you choosing to opt out, when there was never any indication you ever COULD before, is somehow presented as totally doable and again, no consequences.

Same with Hellworld here. There are never any real consequences or suffering or anything but a smirk and quip for our central family because they are the Protagonists. Literally any issue they have will be solved in a comic or two, usually involving cheating, but again, It's Okay because they're the Protagonist.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin
CK is down

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Mikl posted:

Sheep's wool is mostly keratin, and ruminants cannot properly digest it. Not to mention that the carpet hunk is likely to be synthetic, which also cannot be digested by ruminants. Bruno's gonna have a very bad time.

Meanwhile, meat itself would be no problem for a ruminant to digest, at least in small quantities; pretty much all animals can and will opportunistically eat meat. Deer regularly eat dead birds and fish when they find them. Bruno shouldn't have had any trouble joining a carnivore's feast in the first place.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

colorist wasn't even remotely trying on this one

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Meanwhile, meat itself would be no problem for a ruminant to digest, at least in small quantities; pretty much all animals can and will opportunistically eat meat. Deer regularly eat dead birds and fish when they find them. Bruno shouldn't have had any trouble joining a carnivore's feast in the first place.

Deer will eat baby birds right out of the nest, if they happen to find one. It's, uh, a little off-putting to see a deer kill and eat a flapping nestling, if you're not expecting it.

Meat is very energy dense compared to grass and leaves, and very few animals will pass that up if the opportunity presents itself.

E: also, jesus everyone in new Nancy is an unrepentant rear end in a top hat. The joke is always "this person is an rear end in a top hat." which is fine on its own, I am pro making fun of assholes for being assholes, but it's basically the only joke the strip tells.

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 19, 2021

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Is this jelly on his face or did Barry grow facial hair overnight.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Slammy posted:

And He Dead! October 8, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True November 30, 1918

I like how everyone was complaining about Everett True's jingoistic turn and then And He Did comes up from behind to win the "Most Bloodthirsty WWI Strip" award.

At least it'll be over next monthoh who am I kidding the postwar strips are somehow going to be worse aren't they

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Angry Salami posted:

Super minor spoiler, but: later on, another herbivore will join the team, and the "every member of the team must share in the kill" rule is mentioned. They get around it by claiming that a tree which got knocked down during the hunt was also a prey.

Also, in the real world, ruminants being fed meat from (diseased) animals is how we got the BSE (a.k.a. Mad Cow Disease) outbreak in Europe in the 1990s! :eng101:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

lmao

Sylvia

100 Demons: The Aswang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

drat it, I can only find nine of the ten hidden symbols. Clockwise from the top, I've got the inverted bird, the flying saucer, Olive Oyl, the pie, K2, the crown, the eyeball, the bunny, and the dynamite.. This is going to drive me bonkers.

The Family Circus

FoxTrot