Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Every day we stray further away from God.

Enter for your chance to purchase lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

cya l8r, shitlordz

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Someone tried to train an AI to play NES games and it came to the conclusion that it could slam down tetris pieces like a mad bastard to ramp the score up really high really quick, until getting into an unwinnable situation. In that case, instead of relearning how to be better at placing pieces for a longer term strategy, just pause the game. The nerd running this thing just ended up with a bunch of emulators that had tetris paused 1 frame before game over.

The main goal was make the score as high as possible. When you get game over this goes down. Locked in an inert timeless simulation the number can't go down.

sounds like the stock market. can an AI run the fed?

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

commie kong posted:

cya l8r, shitlordz

How did you get this video of me trying to… do anything?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The_Franz posted:

their core base of heavy smokers are old and dying off, and youth cigarette usage is almost nonexistant, so they need to diversify

Respiratory illness is a growth industry. They need to diversify. Who knows more about respiratory illnesses?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

There's a whole thread about emergent bullshit and proceedurally generated insanity

One of my favourite videos on the subject - AIs learning to play hide and seek and how they utterly break the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu56xVlZ40M

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My favorite weird evolutionary algorithm story was the one run on an FPGA (basically a reprogrammable circuit) that would try to optimize the internal logic to solve a very simple problem - I think it was output a 1 if given one tone, and a 0 if given another tone. After a while it was getting it done perfectly, so the researchers looked at what it made and... it made no sense. There were parts connected to nothing, other parts that were connected but didn't seem to do anything, and they couldn't figure out how it worked. They tried deleting the parts connected to nothing, and it stopped working. They then tried to copy it into a different FPGA, and it didn't work there at all. The algorithm made a design that worked perfectly only on that specific chip, due to the peculiarities of the chip itself.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Shame Boy posted:

Enter for your chance to purchase lmao

Earlier this year I "won" the ability to "preorder" a PS5 from the Sony website.

I hate what I have done and have less money, but at least I won't be bored as the world collapses in on itself.

:smith:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

My favorite weird evolutionary algorithm story was the one run on an FPGA (basically a reprogrammable circuit) that would try to optimize the internal logic to solve a very simple problem - I think it was output a 1 if given one tone, and a 0 if given another tone. After a while it was getting it done perfectly, so the researchers looked at what it made and... it made no sense. There were parts connected to nothing, other parts that were connected but didn't seem to do anything, and they couldn't figure out how it worked. They tried deleting the parts connected to nothing, and it stopped working. They then tried to copy it into a different FPGA, and it didn't work there at all. The algorithm made a design that worked perfectly only on that specific chip, due to the peculiarities of the chip itself.

how did it do evolutionarily something that worked on a single chip since you necessarily need several generations of chips to create the design

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Antonymous posted:

how did it do evolutionarily something that worked on a single chip since you necessarily need several generations of chips to create the design

Deus ex machina

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Antonymous posted:

Shame Boy posted:

FPGA (basically a reprogrammable circuit)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Antonymous posted:

Yeah, an FPGA is basically a chip you can "program". Internally it's made of a bunch of identical logic units that can be set up in different configurations and wired together however you want. The more advanced ones can basically be "programmed" into an entire CPU if you wanted to, they're pretty neat.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Racism comes in, racism goes out. Can't explain that.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

El Diablo Bob O posted:

Earlier this year I "won" the ability to "preorder" a PS5 from the Sony website.

lmao

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I was just reminded of a fantastic piece of capitalism. In central Copenhagen, shops in side street at some point figured out that having signs pointing down the street would be a good idea. However, the rent cost of putting up a sign was too much. Solution: hire a guy to stand around with the sign! It's a public street, and you're allowed to loiter after all. Somehow, this is the optimum solution: to hire a guy to hold a sign instead of just having the sign stand on its own.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
we have that in the US too but in some states/municipalities you’re not allowed to stand still so you have to keep twirling and flipping the sign or it’s a violation (to the individual not the business)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Shame Boy posted:

is this the one where somehow the program was utilizing tiny bits of crosstalk between isolated electrical paths to do some bullshit and it was specific to this one single chip because of like, tiny physical manufacturing defects? from like, a few years ago because that story was wild

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

indigi posted:

we have that in the US too but in some states/municipalities you’re not allowed to stand still so you have to keep twirling and flipping the sign or it’s a violation (to the individual not the business)

lol gently caress is that the real reason they're spinning the signs? i figured it was just to draw attention

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Large Testicles posted:

lol gently caress is that the real reason they're spinning the signs? i figured it was just to draw attention

:same:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Large Testicles posted:

there’s two I’ve talked to on the way to work to give bottles of water during the summer and that’s what they told me when i asked why they put their sign down while they drank. could just be their bosses told them that to make sure they keep dancing, I’m very credulous!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

indigi posted:

God drat America, always one step ahead even especially if it's counterproductive dumb poo poo.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

blatman posted:

is this the one where somehow the program was utilizing tiny bits of crosstalk between isolated electrical paths to do some bullshit and it was specific to this one single chip because of like, tiny physical manufacturing defects? from like, a few years ago because that story was wild

yeah, that's the story. minor imperfections made it possible and those minor imperfections are different on every chip

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

indigi posted:

This is great. It's not enough to completely dehumanize the person by making them be a loving sign post, but they have to literally dance just to maintain the farce that the law is Real and Important

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

blatman posted:

It's this one from 1996: https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.50.9691&rep=rep1&type=pdf

...but I think the internet only really found out about it a few years ago so probably the same thing you're thinking of.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

I was just reminded of a fantastic piece of capitalism. In central Copenhagen, shops in side street at some point figured out that having signs pointing down the street would be a good idea. However, the rent cost of putting up a sign was too much. Solution: hire a guy to stand around with the sign! It's a public street, and you're allowed to loiter after all. Somehow, this is the optimum solution: to hire a guy to hold a sign instead of just having the sign stand on its own.

It's kinda charming that "guy standing still with a sign" is capitalism run amok to you eurogoons when I can drive down the street right now and see like 5-10 people standing out in the rain actively moving their signs for fear of the boss seeing them and firing them for standing still. Some of them are probably also wearing mascot suits, because gently caress you.

Being America, we made a sport out of it for some loving reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2iHCUlHbXg

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Large Testicles posted:

I don't know if I buy the "there's laws about it" angle, but I definitely buy "the boss says there's laws about it and you'll get fired AND arrested if you stop" angle.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the way they explained it was that standing still with a sign would qualify as a billboard under new castle law and you need permits for that which would lead to a $75 fine. I could buy it but it’s just as likely to be a stupid boss trick

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This is a popular (vs academic) article about that circuit. nthing that it's a good read.

https://www.damninteresting.com/on-the-origin-of-circuits/

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Racism comes in, racism goes out. Can't explain that.
but data CAN'T be racist, it's just pure information. real head-scratcher.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

kaschei posted:

but data CAN'T be racist, it's just pure information. real head-scratcher.

actually correct. the data just describes a racist reality.

what is often misunderstood is that the AI's duty is to predict reality.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Even if it is the law you would still need the legal system to care and for the most part cops and prosecutors don’t care about enforcing the law against businesses. Maybe if it was a pot store or something they wanted to harass I guess

I’m also leaning towards bullshit the boss tells his staff to make them work a certain way

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/TheEbonyMaw/status/1439633004641636362

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m pretty sure I saw this image posted here that I’m now unable to find: it’s an aerial photo of NZ that shows where billionaires have their Climate Change hideout bunkers (with one guy owning two). can anyone remember that image and post it for me?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
here u go

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I seriously doubt it's really a law but I'm sure their bosses told them it is. Sounds too much like the "we have to pour bleach on the food we throw out so the people digging it out of the trash don't sue us" type story. I see sign less people loitering motionless for hours without getting hauled off next to police while a guy next to them is doing some sign spinning routine.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I thought maybe I should just google it and instead found this bizarre-rear end article from the orlando sentinel

quote:

There are formal, registered businesses like GotchaWorks. It has about two dozen spinners, pays them about between $17 and $20 an hour and caters to large clients like home-builders and car dealerships.

Then there are free agents like Byam. He applied for a job fixing dents at an auto body shop three years ago. He didn’t get the job, but the boss asked if he wanted to hold a sign out front.

Byam figured he’d give a shot, but first he figured he needed a gimmick. The crown has no special meaning, but he chose a trumpet because it’s supposedly the sound that will herald the end of the world.

"God will tell Gabriel to blow the horn," Byam said. "This is areal powerful instrument."

Uh okay Byam, sure

Anyway I'm not finding anything about standing still being illegal, though I'm finding plenty of places that have banned moving with the sign because it's too darn distracting!!!! so idk.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Panfilo posted:

I seriously doubt it's really a law but I'm sure their bosses told them it is. Sounds too much like the "we have to pour bleach on the food we throw out so the people digging it out of the trash don't sue us" type story. I see sign less people loitering motionless for hours without getting hauled off next to police while a guy next to them is doing some sign spinning routine.

"if a homeless person eats the food we throw out and gets sick they will hire a lawyer to sue us" is the one i keep hearing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Yes, it is legal in most places around Central Florida. And since it moves product, sign spinning will probably be around as long as billboards and pop-up ads and radio jingles.

In other words, it’s here to stay. In fact, the last sound anyone on Earth ever hears might indeed be a trumpet blast.

Probably “Here Comes the Bride.”

Yes, sign spinning is legal. In fact, the world will end with a trumpet blast. When you get married! Haha, wives am I right guys?

Anyway there's a wiki article about it that doesn't mention poo poo about it being illegal to stand still so I'mma call bullshit on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_billboard

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The reason they started paying people to hold signs like FURNITURE STORE CLOSING UP TO 80% OFF is because they weren't allowed to just post the signs by the street. You can't just put up a sign whatever you want but people can generally stand around holding things without violating any specific statute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

The reason they started paying people to hold signs like FURNITURE STORE CLOSING UP TO 80% OFF is because they weren't allowed to just post the signs by the street. You can't just put up a sign whatever you want but people can generally stand around holding things without violating any specific statute

I don't think anyone was questioning that, though the wiki article seems to imply it's more complicated than that. And in my experience, a lot of the companies doing it have the people standing on their own lots, often next to their existing sign, which would be a weird choice if that were the reason.