Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Was the bag around the board sealed? They typically are, but not always.

What’s under the barcode? It might be a box swap, which would make me absolutely not trust it. If the barcode underneath is like a number off it should be fine.

There wasn't a bag around the board, but Asrock used one of those boxes that opens to display the motherboard, so I'm not sure a bag would have been there. The main heatsink near the I/O panel, had plastic wrap on it, but none of the others did, which seemed strange?

Here's a picture for reference. Black squiggles are obviously the current serial #. This barcode label appears to have been put on by Newegg? I did what you said and pulled back the written part some, and sure enough, the original printed Serial # is different from what the box's UPC label showed for the Serial #. To me, it almost looks like they printed the label for another box, realized they'd had the wrong serial #, then just put a handwritten one over it.

It's just hard to tell if this was just a warehouse tracking label, or if it had been a processed returned or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Unsinkabear posted:

Lot of review comments about BSODs in there. One guy had suspicious issues with the PSU overloading despite being overspecced (multiple mentions of this too) and when he went in to confirm it was the right part found the serial number had been removed. Another noticed the RAM wasn't running at advertised speeds and thought it might be an issue with an out of date BIOS, but when he went to fix that found the assembling company had locked him out of updating it? It sounds like a nightmare, are all prebuilts like this?

The one with the BIOS update issues doesn't even seem to have gotten the motherboard that's specifically listed in the current product specs. I would be concerned if the retailer either ships the system with other components than advertised or if they retroactively change an existing product page when they swap components (to bring old reviews over to a different product, for example). Not sure about the supposed BIOS lock unless it's some OEM version of the motherboard.
However, an i5 CPU on a b460 motherboard like that should be limited to 2666 memory speeds by Intel's specs, so at least the memory speeds are not caused by an error. It's just mismatched memory for that setup, most likely so they can use the excessive memory speeds for marketing points.

I wouldn't say all prebuilts are like this but they can definitely be all over the place.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The NF-A12x25 is more like $30 on Amazon and Newegg right now. It is indeed the best of the best, but many other fans come close. The fans that will come with the Arctic AIO, the Arctic P12, are actually one of the better ones. They're also way cheaper at $40 for a 5-pack instead of $30 for one. You'll want pressure-optimized fans for an mITX build anyway due to how crammed-together everything is.

If you want something more expensive that'll be a little bit better than the P12, then try the Scythe Wonder Snail. It's a new fan by the popular mid-budget air cooling company Scythe. If you have the room for it, there's also the P120T30 from Phanteks, a 30mm-thick fan that's gotten a lot of positive buzz lately, but it's noctua-levels expensive.

The P12 sits in a sweet spot for many people. Going cheaper than those will get you poorly-made, knock-off garbage. Going more expensive than those can net you some benefits if you choose carefully, but not relative to the cost. You have to really want that extra performance/lower noise level. And to be fair, to a lot of people that is worth it. I have some noctua fans in my PC, and I'm quite happy with them (though I paid closer to $20 for them, rather than 30...)

And I think a 600W PSU will be fine. That's perfectly adequate for the GPU-light/CPU-heavy loads you're up to.

Thank you for this! I ended up just going with the Arctic P12 5-pack — it'll actually mean I'll have an extra fan, but since it's the same cost as buying 4 individually...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Or here's one with an alternative aesthetic: https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali564/p/N82E16883360194

Airflow will be meh, but with four case fans and a low-power graphics card like the 3060, it will probably be fine.

I just wanted to chime in with that I bought a very similar one from Newegg a few months ago (with an i7 processor instead) and it's been great so far. Everything worked and nothing was broken and it didn't come with any weird programs installed or anything. The only concern I had was the CPU would hit the 80s while playing FFXIV (and only FFXIV :confused:) so I did the most complicated computer related thing I've ever attempted and replaced the CPU fan and now it's like 70 for the GPU, 60 for vrm, and 50 for the CPU while playing. Which seems good? I don't know, I don't know crap about poo poo. But it hasn't exploded so I'm assuming I installed it correctly

Since I'm here I do have a few questions: is it normal to suddenly start watching a ton of gamer's nexus videos about all sorts of things I've never had any interest in before? And more seriously: is it easy to change out case fans? Not that I have any need to from what I can guess. But now I have a minor urge to dink around with the thing.

At the very least I suspect I'll actual be interested in building my next PC, whenever that would be. Maybe I should have watched all these GN video horror stories about prebulilts first

In any case, i should maybe look at a new monitor

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

a kitten posted:

Since I'm here I do have a few questions: is it normal to suddenly start watching a ton of gamer's nexus videos about all sorts of things I've never had any interest in before? And more seriously: is it easy to change out case fans? Not that I have any need to from what I can guess. But now I have a minor urge to dink around with the thing.

Case fans are very easy to replace, just make sure you have the right measurements and pay attention to which direction they're mounted in. Playing around with fan curves can be useful as well, depending on your use case your PC might be way too noisy for little or no benefit

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I'm thinking about either upgrading or building a new PC in a month or two since I'll have some disposable income available. Budget is flexible, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting money on mediocre performance gains. My current build is well over four years old now, but is still a viable gaming platform. I'll be buying in Canada. Specs for my current PC are as follows:

i5 7600K
16GB DDR4 3600
GeForce GTX 1070
1440p/150hz Dell monitor with G-Sync

In recent years I've been playing more and more sim games like Assetto Corsa, DCS World, and Arma 3. I'd love to get into the new Microsoft Flight Simulator with a PC that can do it justice. I'm considering buying a VR headset too, but I'm not sure if a 1070 is a good card for that in 2021. Otherwise most other titles I play are not demanding on hardware, save for the once a year I play a AAA game.

Would it necessarily be worth building a brand new PC for this use case, especially enduring the hellscape of GPU buying? Would building something around say, a 5600X and keeping the 1070 still net substantial gains, especially on CPU dependent games like Arma? Or is it best to just hang on to what I have and hope the market improves in a year or two?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sashimi posted:

I'm thinking about either upgrading or building a new PC in a month or two since I'll have some disposable income available. Budget is flexible, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting money on mediocre performance gains. My current build is well over four years old now, but is still a viable gaming platform. I'll be buying in Canada. Specs for my current PC are as follows:

i5 7600K
16GB DDR4 3600
GeForce GTX 1070
1440p/150hz Dell monitor with G-Sync

In recent years I've been playing more and more sim games like Assetto Corsa, DCS World, and Arma 3. I'd love to get into the new Microsoft Flight Simulator with a PC that can do it justice. I'm considering buying a VR headset too, but I'm not sure if a 1070 is a good card for that in 2021. Otherwise most other titles I play are not demanding on hardware, save for the once a year I play a AAA game.

Would it necessarily be worth building a brand new PC for this use case, especially enduring the hellscape of GPU buying? Would building something around say, a 5600X and keeping the 1070 still net substantial gains, especially on CPU dependent games like Arma? Or is it best to just hang on to what I have and hope the market improves in a year or two?

Fortunately it's real easy to carry over a GPU or replace a GPU independently. A 4c/4t cpu will be holding you back these days, so there's lots of room for improvement there on cpu bound titles, though you'll bump your head on the 1070.

Best thing to do now is get a better idea of what's holding you back. Download MSI afterburner and use the overlay to see which component is holding you back, and some idea of by how much.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SourKraut posted:

There wasn't a bag around the board, but Asrock used one of those boxes that opens to display the motherboard, so I'm not sure a bag would have been there. The main heatsink near the I/O panel, had plastic wrap on it, but none of the others did, which seemed strange?

Here's a picture for reference. Black squiggles are obviously the current serial #. This barcode label appears to have been put on by Newegg? I did what you said and pulled back the written part some, and sure enough, the original printed Serial # is different from what the box's UPC label showed for the Serial #. To me, it almost looks like they printed the label for another box, realized they'd had the wrong serial #, then just put a handwritten one over it.

It's just hard to tell if this was just a warehouse tracking label, or if it had been a processed returned or something.

The likelihood of a big company like asrock allowing a hand written serial number out the door is very very low IMO.

The bottom label has an EIN, so it’s absolutely the original ASrock label. If that serial is correct than I wouldn’t worry. The top label looks like it could easily be a Newegg track label. Why would Asrock need to identify it’s own product as ASrock?

Seeing the labels now it’s probably fine.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Are there any recommendations for a 120mm RGB fan? On a whim I got some RGB RAM and I find it strangely hypnotic.

Current setup
NR200
Asrock B550 mobo
Corsair RGB RAM
Fuma 2 rear intake
2x Arctic bottom intake
1x CM Sickleflow top exhaust

I'm thinking of replacing the stock CM fan and filling the other top slot with RGB fans.

Corsair fans look really pretty but from what I can gather they're not particularly great performance wise and are pricey.

Arctic RGB fan performs well but it's got a weird 30mm form factor which won't fit.

Are there any ones worth considering?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

waxluthor posted:

Thanks! How's this one? I'm not sure about airflow.

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ala224/p/N82E16883360021

Possibly worth the extra money for the better CPU and bigger storage. The airflow is a concern, but it may be better than the ones with solid glass front panels because I imagine the bottom intake is pretty open in comparison. Looks like they give it a lot of room to pull air in, and bottom intake like that is often very good for GPU cooling. The only issue is that you don't have air from an intake fan directly passing over the CPU cooler, but I don't see anyone complaining about thermal performance so I guess it's good enough. The main complaints seem to be 1) sometimes the RGB fans aren't plugged into the right header, and 2) the fans are a bit loud. Issue 1 is easily fixed just by knowing where things should be plugged into, and issue 2 is fixed by replacing the fans, but then you're spending yet more cash. Still, that seems like a pretty decent prebuilt.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I'm gonna pull the trigger! I'm gonna do it!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($729.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($144.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($266.01 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($208.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $1872.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-17 19:21 EDT-0400

EDIT: also newegg doesn't give the option of not paying for Win10 if they build it for you :mad:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
pretty good PC for two grand with the - oh that's without the GPU. still.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

CoolCab posted:

pretty good PC for two grand with the - oh that's without the GPU. still.

GPU price is $1070, I figure that's as good as I can hope for.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Seyser Koze posted:

GPU price is $1070, I figure that's as good as I can hope for.

still, far from atrocious for three tbh. there are some very premium parts in there. you got your monitor sorted out? good luck and have fun!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

CoolCab posted:

still, far from atrocious for three tbh. there are some very premium parts in there. you got your monitor sorted out? good luck and have fun!

Not yet. I figure I have a couple weeks to think about that still.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

I'm gonna pull the trigger! I'm gonna do it!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($729.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($144.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($266.01 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($208.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $1872.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-17 19:21 EDT-0400

EDIT: also newegg doesn't give the option of not paying for Win10 if they build it for you :mad:

Great. Enjoy.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I used the above quoted system as a starting point and downgraded for my budget:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/L3tgkX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Suggestions?
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (doubled to 32gig)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB
Video Card: Using existing GTX 1080 until crisis abades.
Case: Using same one.
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Gaj fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 19, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If you are mostly gaming, the 5600x is more than sufficient unless you want to play something like MS Flight Simulator at high settings

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My logic is mushy but I want to have the beefy cpu upfront because I dont know how long I will have to lean on my old 1080. It may be 2 years until video card prices return to normal and by then the 5800x will be 2-3 years old.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would be surprised if we ever get back to where GPU pricing used to be

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gaj posted:

My logic is mushy but I want to have the beefy cpu upfront because I dont know how long I will have to lean on my old 1080. It may be 2 years until video card prices return to normal and by then the 5800x will be 2-3 years old.

There's currently no evidence to suggest that the 5800x will perform better on games 3 years from now in relation to the 5600x than it currently does now, which is only just barely. I would expect them to age at roughly the same pace, actually. The biggest factor between different CPUs on the same architecture appears to be cache size currently since single-core performance tends to be fairly similar and games don't scale very well by adding more cores. Since the 5600x and 5800x have the same cache size, I would bet that new games a few years from now will run very similarly on both, with the 5800x getting maybe a slight edge.

Also, if you don't expect your choice in a new CPU to have a major impact until you eventually upgrade your GPU, then it's worth questioning if you really need a new CPU right now. Unless the rest of your system is old (like, ddr3 era), you may be better off waiting to buy the rest of a new system until you can get a GPU, that way you can make sure you have the latest CPU architecture to go with your new GPU.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would be surprised if we ever get back to where GPU pricing used to be

I mean, GPU pricing will never go back to $700 for an 80 Ti card, and it probably won't ever go back to $700 for a regular 80, even. They will settle down eventually, though. We aren't gonna be in the land of "pay scalpers $1500 or hope to win the chance to buy an $1100 3080" territory forever.

And as a side note, MSFS's recent performance improvements have made it so it's usually GPU-bound now, not CPU-bound. The 5600x never struggled too much with the game, but now it handles ultra settings without breaking a sweat, provided you have a GPU that can handle it too.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 19, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good to hear that they fixed that

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Yeah the fallout from all this is Nivia realizing that they drastically underpriced the 3000 series and they're free to jack up the price of their flasgship products even more.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
wasn't an accident though, worth mentioning. their partners (like MSI etc) howled at the announced RRP and that they'd never be able to make money at that price via basically every available channel. they stopped making anything but the most bells and whistles marked up cards almost immediately. the new consoles were launching and AMD was finally competitive again, they didn't want a repeat of the 20 series where they overpriced following the crypto crash.

two things were of course not in this planning - the revival of crypto and covid - and that turned out to be problematic, but that problem is "we're running all our factories flat out but can't keep a product on the shelf" which is kind of a good one to have?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
and really for good reason - it's 2021, the best pc building advice from a price/performance for gigantic chunks of this year were "buy a prebuild" and "buy an xbox". you get way more frames for your money.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CoolCab posted:

and really for good reason - it's 2021, the best pc building advice from a price/performance for gigantic chunks of this year were "buy a prebuild" and "buy an xbox". you get way more frames for your money.
Yeah I mean my PS5 runs almost as fast as my 5600x/3070 build, so if you are thinking about dropping $2K plus on a rig and that is stretching things for you financially you are better off just waiting

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Crossposting to the SFF/Mini ITX thread

I purchased an HTPC with input from this thread and the (now dead?) HTPC thread back in 2014 and am looking for some advice on a minor upgrade. While I use a Roku for most of our streaming purposes these days, I do occasionally need a computer to watch something online and have a moderately large library of movies and music stored on this machine.

I’m not a gamer and have a dedicated work laptop; based in the US.

The old HTPC build was:
• MB: ASRock B85M Pro4 https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/b85m%20pro4/
• CPU: Intel Core I3 4130 https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/77480/intel-core-i3-4130-processor-3m-cache-3-40-ghz.html
• RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089JIDLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
• HDD: Samsung 120GB SSD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3W15P0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
• HDD: WD 2TB HDD https://www.amazon.com/AV-GP-Intellipower-Cache-Drive-WD20EURX/dp/B00DXOJJQQ
• CD/DVD: Pioneer BDC-207DBK https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDC-207DBK
• Case: Silverston Grandia GD06 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MKNNGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Following a change of interior furniture, my new cabinet size is ~ 17” W x 13” H x 16” D. The current case can fit, but the fans are up against the side of the cabinet and air circulation is effectively stopped.

It would be great to find a case that works with my current motherboard, but I’m not opposed to shifting down to a MITX case if everything else could be accommodated. The DVD player also isn’t very important – we have a separate Blu Ray player – so changing to a case that can’t accommodate it is not a big deal.

I was looking online and it seems like Silverstone has some MATX cases that fit my dimensions and would accommodate my peripherals but it’s been a while since I’ve built anything and I was hoping to get a second opinion.
Silverstone SG11 https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Micro-ATX-Mini-DTX-Compatible-SG11B/dp/B00U8IS830/ref=psdc_572238_t1_B07PF919BY

Am I going about this the right way?
Any other cases that I should look at instead?

Anza Borrego fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 19, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I'm interested in doing a new build, but for now I want to keep the Geoforce 1080 card I have due to the insane prices for GPUs. Will that be sufficient for most games?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Willo567 posted:

I'm interested in doing a new build, but for now I want to keep the Geoforce 1080 card I have due to the insane prices for GPUs. Will that be sufficient for most games?

Depends on your expectations, but it looks like it's held up pretty well.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Okay, I’ve assembled my new build and it’s looking like it’s DOA - refusing to power on at all :(. What should be my next steps to troubleshoot this?

So far I’ve flashed the bios (which seemed to go successfully) and put everything together, but when I press the power button nothing happens - not even a squeak from the board’s debugging LEDs.

I’ve checked the power cables - which all seem to be seated correctly. I also found if connected the front panel incorrectly - but after fixing that still nothing. I’ve tried removing the front panel connectors entirely and jumping the power switch pins with a screwdriver, but still nothing.

The power supply is one I’m reusing - so obviously I can vouch that that works.

Only thing I can think of I that the bios update may have hosed up somehow - in which case I guess I should I try a reset and see if that gets this thing to post? Anything else I should try/test?

Parts list for completeness:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£242.31 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler (£39.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk) (already owned)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£185.99 @ Box Limited)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£100.75 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£123.44 @ Technextday)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW2 GAMING iCX Video Card (already owned)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case (£93.84 @ Clove Technology)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Scan.co.uk) (already owned)
Total: £871.78

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Try reseating your RAM. (I had the same "totally dead, no response" initially on my 5600X/B550 build in March and freaked out, but popping the sticks out, back in, and really pressing along the whole edge of each stick fixed it and I was 100% good to go after.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

And if that doesn't work try it again.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Also extremely dumb but easy to miss: check the physical button on your power supply and make sure the line-side is pushed in/switched, and not the circle.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Sadly reseating the ram did nothing. I guess I’ll try reseating everything else tomorrow - my fingertips need a break from sharp-cornered plastic. Tempted to try a CMOS reset first in the hope I can avoid that work.

One crazy thought - I did accidentally plug the 8-pin motherboard power cable the wrong way round during the build (thanks, confusingly-keyed modular PSUs). I obviously fixed that before (trying to) power on, but is it possible/ likely I bent a connector out of shape?

E:

The Joe Man posted:

Also extremely dumb but easy to miss: check the physical button on your power supply and make sure the line-side is pushed in/switched, and not the circle.

Yeah I flicked that littler fucker back and forth several times in frustration. Can safely rule that out as the cause.

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 20, 2021

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Take everything out of the case and build it on the box. Barebones, one stick of ram, one drive etc.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Judging by the DDR3, your system is quite old. I have a feeling that we'll be building a new PC from scratch here. Don't worry though, $1500 is more than enough. We'll come in under that budget.

The current in-vogue mid-budget CPU is the AMD Ryzen 5600X (6 cores). It's a highly capable CPU that won't ever bottleneck a 3080 running at maxed out game settings. Meanwhile the 5900X is the multi-core beast of choice (12 cores). It won't improve your framerates much, and I have no idea if it would help with streaming and music production, sorry. I have a feeling that a 5600X would be fine, though? Streaming is mostly done through the GPU, and they come with special hardware decoders/encoders to minimize overhead. Here are some basic parts choices:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($272.66 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Adorama)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)

You should play around with PC Part Picker yourself, it's a good site. For storage, that really depends on your needs. I don't know what you have currently, so I can't tell you what will be bigger and faster. I just tossed the current popular value pick in there. It's an NVMe, the hot new storage tech that plugs directly into your motherboard. It's a decent bit faster than the old SATA drives. There are plenty of other NVMe drives that are faster on paper than that one, but they cost up to 2x more for maybe a 10% improvement in game and application load times. Ideally you grab enough NVMe space to load all of your games from. If you want many terrabytes of storage for other things, you'll still want an HDD—get a WD Black hard disk in that case. (4TB for $135, or 8TB for $240 currently, not bad actually...). If audio editing benefits from SSD-class read speeds, then the Crucial MX500 and Samsung 870 QVO are the current best values for high-volume SSD storage, though those still get pretty expensive.

For the case, that's up to you. There are a lot of cases to choose from now, from flimsy $50 Montech cases to $250 cases that won't make your computer better, but it will feel more premium, and don't we all want to feel at least a little bit fancy? I always prioritize airflow over everything else when it comes to cases. The current trend is mesh—thanks fractal design. You'll find plenty of mesh front panels that allow you to load up on fans and pull in a ton of air with little impedance. This has the side effect of reducing noise actually, since you can run the fans at slower speeds. Not everything needs to be mesh, though. Just make sure it has good ventilation somewhere because your 3080 will really want it.

The current popular airflow-focused cases include the Corsair 4000D/5000D Airflow, Phanteks P400A/P500A/P600S, Cooler Master MB511, H500, and TD500, Fractal Designs Meshify series and the Fractal Designs Torrent, Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX and Silent Base 802, and the Lian Li Lancool 215 and Lancool II Mesh (and the upcoming O11 Air Mini looks pretty good from an air-cooling perspective). Some non-mesh alternatives that don't suck include the Fractal Designs Define series, the NZXT H710, and the Lian Li O11 Dynamic if you want something really different (it's designed for water cooling but it can do air cooling). There are a load of other mesh options to choose from that are probably at least decent, and plenty of non-mesh options that range from terrible hotboxes to pretty good. Just make sure any intakes are adequately large, and that with a solid front panel, your fans are spaced at least an inch and a half or so away from the front to give them some room to breathe.

edit: And if you're going with the beastly 5900X instead of the 5600X, then the Scythe Fuma 2 is good enough to handle it at stock settings (while staying quiet because it's literally incapable of being loud), but going beyond stock may be a bit challenge for it, which is where bigger coolers like the Noctua NF-D15 come in, or all-in-one liquid coolers (self-contained kits that are piss-easy to install).

This is a pretty solid list and pretty close to what I have; only thing I would add is that the card is beefy in performance (and heat, a good card to undervolt) and SIZE: the back has a thick metal backplate running the length of the card and the GPU will not fit in your top PCIx16 slot with an NH-D15 (at least in my atx x570 motherboard). Corsair ripjaw RAM will also not fit under the NHD15 without raising one of the fans up. This doesn't really impact performance but is an issue if you have a really small case or if you're OCD with looks. I had to swap for the NHD15S to fit the GPU, and swap to Corsair Vengeance RAM to fit under. If you are going overclock on the CPU I would avoid the nhd15(S) for an AIO just because of your much you have to do to work around it (and I love my Noctuas). Also remember that your GPU needs 3 8-pin connections so smaller cases and bigger coolers are goingto make that more difficult to cable route

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 20, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

Sadly reseating the ram did nothing. I guess I’ll try reseating everything else tomorrow - my fingertips need a break from sharp-cornered plastic. Tempted to try a CMOS reset first in the hope I can avoid that work.

One crazy thought - I did accidentally plug the 8-pin motherboard power cable the wrong way round during the build (thanks, confusingly-keyed modular PSUs). I obviously fixed that before (trying to) power on, but is it possible/ likely I bent a connector out of shape?

E:

Yeah I flicked that littler fucker back and forth several times in frustration. Can safely rule that out as the cause.

Very possible, especially if it got all the way plugged in.

When you reseat, if your PSU is modular make sure that side is plugged in as well.

I’ve also seen people forget the 4pin CPU plug. You should also check the outlet if you haven’t.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of :suicide: . If the cable’s damaged then it’ll probably be better to get a new PSU - evga don’t ship their cable sets to uk and the price of aftermarket is ridiculous.

(The wall outlet is fine - I’m not using the 4 pin cpu power connector but that should be fine given the low TDP of my components)

I’ll pull everything out of the board this evening and check the obnoxious onboard RGB lighting still turns on, then try reseating everything.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of :suicide: . If the cable’s damaged then it’ll probably be better to get a new PSU - evga don’t ship their cable sets to uk and the price of aftermarket is ridiculous.

(The wall outlet is fine - I’m not using the 4 pin cpu power connector but that should be fine given the low TDP of my components)

I’ll pull everything out of the board this evening and check the obnoxious onboard RGB lighting still turns on, then try reseating everything.

Wait what?

Not that should not be fine. Plug in your 4 pin.

And the 5600x is absolutely not a low TDP component.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Wait what?

Not that should not be fine. Plug in your 4 pin.

And the 5600x is absolutely not a low TDP component.

The 5600x is a 65w TDP component, which isn't super low but also the 8-pin connector is more than enough for it. Many motherboard manuals will even say the extra 4-pin connector is optional. The general advice I've seen on the internet is that you don't need to use it unless you're doing heavy-duty overclocking on high-end CPUs.