Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I prefer the term brobot or robro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Aw yiss, about to head back into the cinema for the Alien/Aliens double bill. My mate was up for it after all, he was also too young for these classics back in the day. I’ve got cans, a fellow Aliens (the movie) fan, and over 4 hours of good times ahead.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

This is one of the few games where the AI is actually more useful than the bottom 25% of the players.

It follows. It shoots things. It uses useful abilities.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Parkingtigers posted:

Aw yiss, about to head back into the cinema for the Alien/Aliens double bill. My mate was up for it after all, he was also too young for these classics back in the day. I’ve got cans, a fellow Aliens (the movie) fan, and over 4 hours of good times ahead.

I am jealous

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Warbadger posted:

This is one of the few games where the AI is actually more useful than the bottom 25% of the players.

It follows. It shoots things. It uses useful abilities.

Yeah, darn bots at least won't run ahead and get ganked.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, darn bots at least won't run ahead and get ganked.

Also, if you just run away from them they teleport in after you. I've done this a bunch of times in level 1-3 to play the end fight around the dropship.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Rewatched Alien this morning with the sound real low because my daughter was sleeping and just appreciated the visuals. I contend that no movie has better set design than Alien. Every single room is unique and incredible.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Class Warcraft posted:

Rewatched Alien this morning with the sound real low because my daughter was sleeping and just appreciated the visuals. I contend that no movie has better set design than Alien. Every single room is unique and incredible.

The tension and weirdness of Alien is just perfect

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
just a meme nothing more

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

It's been discussed previously ITT but there is a DLC for Isolation that recreates the Nostromo and it's absolutely 100% worth it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Man, seeing Aliens on the big screen for the first time was SO loving GOOD. Decent sized Saturday night audience, which was great because for any film not seen in the cinema you can never be sure which lines would land well. There's always the lines that you like, but that's never the same as the lines that others like.

Apone waking up into a cigar: chuckle

Apone angrily saying "come here" to Hudson: chuckle

Hicks saying "looks like love at first sight to me" : laugh

Newt giving a thumbs up: chuckle

Newt giving a salute: chuckle

Newt saying "she doesn't have bad dreams because she's a lump of plastic": biggest ripple of quiet laughter of the film

Here's the oddest thing about seeing it on the big screen for the first time. Usually this just means seeing details that somehow never registered while watching a film on TV. So here it would be things like just how much litter was in the corridor outside Ripley's room. Just visual details. For Alien, I couldn't help but notice all the brush/pen marks from the obviously badly coloured in red "DANGER" sign on the Nostromo's self-destruct sequence.

Never in my life though, has watching a film on the big screen changed a movie's entire narrative for me. I've watched Aliens at least three dozen times in my life, in full and in part, and today after watching it at the cinema I've realised that I've been wrong about it for over thirty years.

The protagonist of Aliens is not Ripley. It's Newt. It's her film. It's her story.

I swear to god, my entire perception of this film has been upended.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

HiroProtagonist posted:

just a meme nothing more

poster like this is why we had a baby boom after wwII

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

poster like this is why we had a baby boom after wwII

Hornyposting about Rosie the Riveter

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

No that's Vasquez the Smartgunner

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I can't get over how insanely quotable Aliens is.

The delivery of MARINES, WE ARE LEAVING! would be a memorable line in most movies and I'm not sure it cracks the top 20.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Thinking about Aliens at a lego expo with the kids today.

And Predator

And even Iron Giant with a cute little Hogarth

E: oh poo poo and a Termie too

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Iron Crowned posted:

No that's Vasquez the Smartgunner

horny about both

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

E: oh poo poo and a Termie too

Looks like he's skateboarding.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Because he's fuckin radical my man

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Thinking about Aliens at a lego expo with the kids today.

The drool :allears: quality work, clearly someone thinking a lot about aliens

e: oh hell yes there's acid floor
:krad:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A skateboarding Terminator would have totally happened if we'd got a T2-based cartoon in the 90s. Which we drat well should have.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sunswipe posted:

A skateboarding Terminator would have totally happened if we'd got a T2-based cartoon in the 90s. Which we drat well should have.

we got a rambo and robocop cartoon. Where's my terminator cartoon?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I liked the Police Academy cartoon :shrug:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sunswipe posted:

Speaking as someone who read the Terminator comics by NOW Comics that came out after the first movie, you aren’t that far off.

The comics took place during the future war and a plot point at one point was the machines trying to make a “human” city to raise captured children in order to brainwash them into thinking the machines were good, and it had endoskeletons (yes, endoskeletons) dressed up in human clothes and doing human stuff.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
please tell me there were four terminators standing around on the side of the road drinking beer king of the hill style

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Eau de MacGowan posted:

please tell me there were four terminators standing around on the side of the road drinking beer king of the hill style

I’d have to check but off the top of my head I remember endoskeletons dressed up as cops and crossing guards.

The NOW Comics run was wild; it started out all over the place and generally lovely, but then it did a story about the mission to send Kyle Reese back in time that was surprisingly great, and then they did ‘Terminator: The Burning Earth’ which was totally fantastic. The art was incredible, largely because it was the first comic book artwork by one Alexander Ross.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

I’d have to check but off the top of my head I remember endoskeletons dressed up as cops and crossing guards.

The NOW Comics run was wild; it started out all over the place and generally lovely, but then it did a story about the mission to send Kyle Reese back in time that was surprisingly great, and then they did ‘Terminator: The Burning Earth’ which was totally fantastic. The art was incredible, largely because it was the first comic book artwork by one Alexander Ross.

how are you so cool?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Looks like he's skateboarding.

The Terminator's an infiltration unit. Part man, part machine, all radical.

Listen. Understand. That Terminator is out there. It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with. It doesn't feel pity of remorse or fear and it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are rad.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Come with me if you want to shred.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How do you do, fellow human kids?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Class Warcraft posted:

Come with me if you want to shred.
I need your clothes, your sneakers...

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Woke up to find out Aliens is playing in watchw.me. A good way to wake up, IMO

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking as someone who read the Terminator comics by NOW Comics that came out after the first movie, you aren’t that far off.

The comics took place during the future war and a plot point at one point was the machines trying to make a “human” city to raise captured children in order to brainwash them into thinking the machines were good, and it had endoskeletons (yes, endoskeletons) dressed up in human clothes and doing human stuff.

There was a novel called T2 Infiltrator where Skynet is raising humans from birth with cybernetic implants so it's always in communication with them and trains them as infiltration units. I really need to see if I can find the two sequel novels, cos the first one ends with John Connor on the run with a man the T800s were based off and Sarah in prison again after they take down a facility being protected by one of the infiltrators sent into the past who's built some Terminators in the present day. Was a better sequel than T3, not that that's saying much.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve got that series but it’s been a long time since I read it.

I’m a pretty big Terminator nerd haha

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Did you play Terminator: Resistance? Thought it looked cool.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

Only read the first one, but I enjoyed it. Cool scene where a Terminator bursts into the Connors' home and they start pulling .50 cal rifles out of the furniture.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Theotus posted:

Did you play Terminator: Resistance? Thought it looked cool.

It’s pretty great if you like Terminator stuff. It absolutely NAILS the Future War aesthetic, and endoskeletons are appropriately menacing (until you get stocked up on plasma rifles and stuff). There are some pretty wild fights against T-800 infiltrators covered in cloned skin, and the skin gets dynamically damaged as you fight them and exposes the endoskeleton underneath, it’s rad.

There’s a fairly new DLC where you play as a Terminator and get to use the red Terminator vision but I haven’t played much of it yet.

In a lot of ways Resistance feels like a spiritual successor to the old Terminator: Future Shock FPS from Bethesda in the 90s.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xenomrph posted:

It’s pretty great if you like Terminator stuff. It absolutely NAILS the Future War aesthetic, and endoskeletons are appropriately menacing (until you get stocked up on plasma rifles and stuff). There are some pretty wild fights against T-800 infiltrators covered in cloned skin, and the skin gets dynamically damaged as you fight them and exposes the endoskeleton underneath, it’s rad.

There’s a fairly new DLC where you play as a Terminator and get to use the red Terminator vision but I haven’t played much of it yet.

In a lot of ways Resistance feels like a spiritual successor to the old Terminator: Future Shock FPS from Bethesda in the 90s.

Huh. I read nothing but bad things. Maybe I'll check it out.

I'd like to see a Terminator: Isolation type game with a little more action and maybe some car chases between levels. You'd have to craft a lot improvised weapons and medicine and poo poo, obviously, and hide a lot. I can picture levels like the mall, the mental hospital, the factories, etc. Make it so you can get to a spot early and set up traps if you make good time and even if you maybe can't kill him you can gently caress him up and slow him down or gradually make him less effective.

Might even be more fun to add a mode where you play the Terminator(s) and have to chase your targets, using all your scanning poo poo or whatever to track them down.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There was a PC game kinda like that in the 90s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator_(DOS) Be interesting, and probably hilarious, to see Bethesda do a modern remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh. I read nothing but bad things. Maybe I'll check it out.

The reviews on Steam are very positive. :shrug:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/954740/Terminator_Resistance/

Like it’s not perfect and it’s definitely a “budget” title, but I still had a real good time with it and it was a lot better than I expected.