Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Jumping back into this after a hiatus and starting week 2, I realize I absolutely loving hate the combat in this game, it feels like poo poo, my brain cannot parse what is going on screen most of the time and I feel like I am completely unable to dodge attacks, using the super move sometimes does no damage or I seem to actually take damage from it, I feel like I am getting punished for teammates getting hit by poo poo even though the game says they should auto dodge if they're not doing anything, all the enemies are just complete sponges at normal or hard, and maybe it's just because there are only three party members right now but it feels like a complete slog

Will I miss anything if I drop to Easy, the promise of rewards at higher difficulty levels is giving me lovely FOMO

You really can't miss anything since you can always go back and replay previous days at any time. Later game pins trivialize earlier fights even on Hard, so it's probably actually more efficient to just come back to some stuff later (eg gold medals on dives).

If you're constantly swapping out your mastered pins to try to avoid wasting PP, I recommend not doing that. Enemies later in the game give dramatically more PP so leveling your pins becomes trivial. Pin strength is the main factor in how hard you hit, so if you're always using a bunch of random unleveled pins you're gonna hit like a wet noodle. And some psychs just kind of suck or are annoying to use well. When you find a pin with high strength and a psych that you like, just keep it equipped until you find an upgrade.

Also FWIW the combat didn't click for me either until a decent way into the game, I just kind of button mashed my way through until I got to a boss that really forces you to have situational awareness and dodge well. I really came to enjoy it though, so you might like it if you stick with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The early days of week 2 when you're down to 3 party members is probably the low point of the combat system. Your damage output gets cut pretty dramatically simply because you're going to have everyone on cooldown fairly often. I stuck ranged stuff on everyone, stuck to normal and easy, and just generally played very defensively until I got a 4th member again.

It's amazing how much better of a flow you can keep going when you have two pairs of pins to work with, let alone later when you have multi-wield and even more members.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks, all that helps put things in perspective and it's good to know I can get around some of that stuff without too much issue, otherwise I'm enjoying everything else in the game

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just beat the game and I’m kicking myself for not going back and playing TWEWY Final Remix for Switch because I couldn’t remember much from the original game. Then again, it’s $50 for some reason. Not sure if it’s worth the price, although I am going to be traveling a bunch starting in a week so it would help me get through all the flights and stuff.

Also I guess Coco was from the special chapter they added, which makes sense since I had no idea who she was. Well anyway this game is pretty great and I’m gonna keep playing to try and fill out my collection.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So how exactly do you get enough points in scramble slam days to get even the worst prize? I've never even been close and I try to maximize every opportunity

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

By replaying the day when you're able to make higher chains.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

By replaying the day when you're able to make higher chains.

Speaking of, is the proper way to do it catching one territory noise and then making the biggest possible chain out of it, or does adding more territory noise to your chain increase your modifier at all?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Deified Data posted:

Speaking of, is the proper way to do it catching one territory noise and then making the biggest possible chain out of it, or does adding more territory noise to your chain increase your modifier at all?

Grab one territory noise and chain as many non-territory noise with it as you can. If you need to, you can leave the area and come back- the territory noise remain erased, but everything else respawns.

Use a pair of weaker pins, like the starting Shockwave and Force Rounds pins, to chain beatdrop comboes. Each combo increases your point multiplier by .4, up to a maximum of x5.

Once you have a x5 multiplier, you need to change things up, because the points you get from beatdrops are actually determined by the damage of the attack you used. So you want to 'drop the beat' with a weak pin, then combo it with a strong, single-hit psych like Massive Hit, Piercing Pillar, or Psychic Shotgun.

Always leave the 'bonus enemy' (the one with a floating x3 on it) for last.

Drop rate does NOT affect point earnings, but difficulty does, so play at your maximum level and your highest difficulty.

You can also chain fights when battling other teams. You have to let the noise catch you, then quickly run to the enemy team member you want to fight. This works exactly like chaining with the territory noise.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Note: It is pitifully easy to score highly once you get Ultimate. I had to get a Pig Noise from after the first one, so I barely tried and ended up at double the top score.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(W3D7)Yeah sure game, let’s go, im ready for Day 7’’ why not

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

At the (secret?) end of NEO TWEWY it shows this image:

I think it would make a decent desktop wallpaper, so I took a screenshot. Turns out PS5 puts a copyright notice on screenshots and it put it on top of the logo, which looks weird.

Does anyone happen to know where to find a clean version without the copyright notice poo poo?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The final boss is insanely cool but it’s very, very rude of the game to have the last third of its second life bar be a weird gimmick where it rains down death on certain areas but also oh there are invisible walls so you’re supposed to go on a path and not just dodge in whatever areas

These multiphase bosses are kinda hurt by there being multiple parts in general but always starting you at the first part of the first life bar.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel really stupid for taking to the end of the game to realize FanGO was a Final Fantasy-flavor Pokémon Go. Also Jesus Christ Rindo, how the gently caress do you forget to check your online poo poo to see if your girlfriend tried to contact you? You goober.

This was a really good game. There were some bits that dragged, and I wish they made weak low cool down pins to kill the downtime of the early game, but TBH this game is much more succinct what I remember the first game and I remember just not being able to properly dodge in TWEWY 1 without Velocity Attack so just feeling like it’s my fault 85% of the time that I’m eating poo poo (ducking wolves) is cool too.

It seems like a real shame that Another Day isn’t getting voice acted though going by the dialogue so far…

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I feel really stupid for taking to the end of the game to realize FanGO was a Final Fantasy-flavor Pokémon Go. Also Jesus Christ Rindo, how the gently caress do you forget to check your online poo poo to see if your girlfriend tried to contact you? You goober.

This was a really good game. There were some bits that dragged, and I wish they made weak low cool down pins to kill the downtime of the early game, but TBH this game is much more succinct what I remember the first game and I remember just not being able to properly dodge in TWEWY 1 without Velocity Attack so just feeling like it’s my fault 85% of the time that I’m eating poo poo (ducking wolves) is cool too.

It seems like a real shame that Another Day isn’t getting voice acted though going by the dialogue so far…

Kind of a shame that Shiki didn’t hug/kiss Neku when he came back at the end as well (or at least give him a good slap in the face for making her worry so much)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is the piece of poo poo T-Rex’s super roar impossible to avoid even with a pin that can block attacks? You know, when it eats one of your characters and turns white. It seems impossible, unless the timing window is incredibly narrow.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You're not supposed to let it eat your characters

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The World Ends With You anime is getting a dub. However, it appears that only one of the game VAs will be reprising their role for it:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-09-16/funimation-announces-the-world-ends-with-you-anime-english-dub-cast/.177434

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
You're not supposed to let it move long enough to even try. Which is to say, give someone Trendy Tornado. It's an amazing pin. Doubly so when paired with any Black Hole pin.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Regy Rusty posted:

You're not supposed to let it eat your characters

Obviously, but sometimes I gently caress up

Kantesu posted:

You're not supposed to let it move long enough to even try. Which is to say, give someone Trendy Tornado. It's an amazing pin. Doubly so when paired with any Black Hole pin.

Alright. I’m trying to level up some pins, maybe I’ll pick a room with no T-rexs in it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

But yeah honestly unless you're going for drops, don't fight t rexes or mammoths. Not worth it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

TWEWY is probably my favourite game ever. It was the first game to ever make me cry, but I was in middle school so it was perfect timing lmao. I just replayed it on an emulator to prep for this game's release and man does it need the touch screen tho
I'm so glad they made a sequel, but I'm also so glad they didn't botch the sequel, i was so scared they'd Kingdom Hearts it up and bog it down with weird plot bullshit, especially without the constraint of 'DS Cart storage size'
This game is definitely not the original but that's ok it's still really good. Compared to surprise here's a partner, learn how everything works through several battles in the original, hi here's many many text bubbles explaining everything in the new game doesn't seem as immediately engaging, and i wonder what it's like for a new player to go through all that. The battle system is really fun though!! 'Breaking Free' reminds me of being an angsty emo kid in all the best ways.
Also I would die for Fret

see y'all in a few weeks when i finish the main plot. I'm only on Week 2 and I don't want to spoil myself too much

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I would argue that the best part about the Kingdom Hearts series is the plot that gets more and more convoluted and absurd with each installment. It’s like a train wreck that never ends. Also the next installment is going to take place at least partially in the same universe as TWEWY based on the KHIII secret ending that shows Sora in Shibuya (it’s actually a world called Quadratum, don’t ask)

Edit: fine I’ll use spoiler tags

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 19, 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I would argue that the best part about the Kingdom Hearts series is the plot that gets more and more convoluted and absurd with each installment. It’s like a train wreck that never ends.

Does that just make it harder and harder for new players to jump in with each installment though?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

kingdom hearts 3 spoilers that probably should be spoiled honestly

They later confirmed in interviews that it's not related to TWEWY at all, the Shibuya the TWEWY gang come from is a completely different world from Yoroza's Shibuya.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I desperately don't want TWEWY to go full Kingdom Hearts, one of the things I loved about TWEWY was how complete and self-contained the story was. Didn't end in a cliffhanger, I didn't need to read character backstory from an artbook or mobile game, and there wasn't an audio drama set a year later that completely ruined everything that happened in the first game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Does KH also have a thing with assuming that you’ve played the Ultimate Final Exclusive Director’s Cut version of the last game in the series? ‘Cuz a not-insignificant amount of NEO assumes that you’re at least somewhat familiar with the Switch bonus content.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Does KH also have a thing with assuming that you’ve played the Ultimate Final Exclusive Director’s Cut version of the last game in the series? ‘Cuz a not-insignificant amount of NEO assumes that you’re at least somewhat familiar with the Switch bonus content.

Every game is canon and it generally treats the Final Mix versions as the “official” ones, yes.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Ugh I thought the switch addition was just bonus content. Square enix truly cannot stop being square enix for even a second

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not convinced TWEWY will become like a big series with multiple games, so I have a hard time thinking it will go full KH.

KH is pretty great though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Ugh I thought the switch addition was just bonus content. Square enix truly cannot stop being square enix for even a second

It's really not hard to figure out the NEO stuff that's a reference to the Switch exclusive stuff from context. I didn't play the Switch version of TWEWY 1 and didn't feel lost at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

To be fair, NEO recaps the important points of A New Day pretty well so all you’re really missing is some extra context at the beginning.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

A New Day, like the secret endings and added content in Kingdom Hearts' Final Mixes, really just tease events of the sequels without explaining it at all, and then it gets actually fully explained within the sequel.

The confusing part of the KH series was the number of midquel games that were on different systems.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gruckles posted:

A New Day, like the secret endings and added content in Kingdom Hearts' Final Mixes, really just tease events of the sequels without explaining it at all, and then it gets actually fully explained within the sequel.

The confusing part of the KH series was the number of midquel games that were on different systems.

Though these days thanks to the collections every game except the recently completed mobile title is now all available on the same platform (358 and Coded were reduced down to just being cutscenes however so if you wanted to actually play them you’d have to resort to emulation or track down a DS copy).

But yeah, assuming it continues after this I hope the TWEWY series doesn’t get nearly as convoluted.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 19, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WrightOfWay posted:

It's really not hard to figure out the NEO stuff that's a reference to the Switch exclusive stuff from context. I didn't play the Switch version of TWEWY 1 and didn't feel lost at all.

I honestly had no idea that Coco was from the bonus scenario until I went back and watched the trailer for TWEWY Final Remix and was like “oh ok that’s why I had no idea who she was.” It was a little bit annoying, but I guess as a KH fan I should be used to it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Killingyouguy! posted:

drat I wish they'd stop making really good games that sell well.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah this, apparently it might have been intended to be more relevant at some point from what people posted of art book notes but as is it doesn’t really encroach on the main story, which itself is like the first game in that it’s mostly about the protagonist’s growth as a person and the plot is just the vehicle for that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I honestly had no idea that Coco was from the bonus scenario until I went back and watched the trailer for TWEWY Final Remix and was like “oh ok that’s why I had no idea who she was.” It was a little bit annoying, but I guess as a KH fan I should be used to it.

She was also the NPC that sold stuff like super foods for actual cash in the mobile ports, too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Coco should have been in the game more imo. She's funny.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Holy poo poo Shoka please just understand the point I'm trying to make about Ayano. Like I think I like the time travelling more than most but this sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Coco should have been in the game more imo. She's funny.

Coco as Sho's parole officer/Personal Bully he's actually weirdly polite to is such a fun dynamic and I wish we got more of it.