Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The ogre toddler continues to take it as a personal affront whenever we attempt to wipe the boogers out of his nose. Fights like hell whenever we give him his antibiotics as well although I can't tell if that's due to taste or him seeing it as a game.

His teacher did ask my wife during pick-up yesterday if he's talking at home yet but she didn't seem that worried. This is something we've been concerned about as well since while he understands what we say he's just pointing and grunting still. His two year check up is in November so we'll be bringing that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

The ogre toddler continues to take it as a personal affront whenever we attempt to wipe the boogers out of his nose. Fights like hell whenever we give him his antibiotics as well although I can't tell if that's due to taste or him seeing it as a game.

His teacher did ask my wife during pick-up yesterday if he's talking at home yet but she didn't seem that worried. This is something we've been concerned about as well since while he understands what we say he's just pointing and grunting still. His two year check up is in November so we'll be bringing that up.

If it makes you feel any better, my 3yo still tries pointing and grunting, we don’t let let him get away with it of course, but he sure tries. It’s most egregious when we ask him what he wants to watch, and like 11 feet from the television he’s pointing. We tell him over and over again we don’t know what he’s pointing at and if he won’t use his words and descriptive abilities to tell us what he wants to watch, he doesn’t get to watch anything.

Not saying your kid should be here or there, they move at different paces so I wouldn’t worry about it!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Toddler went to spend the weekend with her dad at her grandparent’s house, as he is still living there. Last night she was crying and saying she wanted to go home. This morning I got a face time call with her in tears, but the second she saw me she was okay. I drove down there this afternoon because other family was visiting and wanted to see the baby. It was fine, things went well, it was nice to see everyone, but when I had to leave, it was so hard… She was screaming MAMA DON’T GO as I drove away, white knuckling the steering wheel and trying not to bawl my eyes out.

Husband is consulting a lawyer next week to see how much money he can get from me.

THIS SUCKS.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Does it actually make any difference to the divorce proceedings that he imploded your marriage in the most egregious and callous way possible? Like is there an rear end in a top hat tax that actually impacts his eligibility to claim things? I feel like it should, but I don't know how alimony etc works, it's not a thing here.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Well, the baby just flipped over on her own for the first time and I missed it. Put her in bed and went downstairs briefly for snack, came back to her completely flipped over on her tummy. drat.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Just had a very intense, weird, semi-traumatic experience with my toddler.

She had a big day today, we all went to a cousin's house and played with lots of new toys and saw some new kids. Ate on a different schedule, was confronted with unexpected things, kinda got overwhelmed toward the end. A disrupted sort of day. When we got home she was definitely a little touchy but nothing outside her normal ranges.

But in the middle of dinner she just started melting down out of nowhere. Got really distressed and started saying things like "mama will come later" and "someone else will hold you". Even with mama right there, she just kept repeating herself and getting more and more agitated because we didn't understand what she was trying to say.

And then something clicked and I knew exactly what was wrong.

3 or 4 weeks ago I wrote about how she got bounced from child care because she was having too much separation anxiety. The head teacher at that place was very proud of her calming technique of opening an orange and inviting a distressed child to see/smell/feel/taste it as a grounding exercise. And immediately before she melted down at dinner, one of the adults at the table had peeled an orange and offered her a slice.

Once we realized what was triggering her, we were able to talk her through it and wind down. But it was pretty dicey. She was extremely distressed and basically impossible to reach until we found the key. I'm in no way qualified to make this assessment on my own, but it seemed like a PTSD flashback.

Not really sure where to go from here, I guess check in with a child psychologist. Potentially talk to the school and see if they can think of any other triggers. And maybe stop buying oranges, though we've already gone through a whole Costco sized bag without incident.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Why did the 16 month old have 2 meltdowns today? The neighbors parked their car facing their garage instead of facing the street and therefore he couldn't walk past it on the sidewalk he had to sit down and scream while pointing at it and refused to be picked up either. Both walks.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Tamarillo posted:

Does it actually make any difference to the divorce proceedings that he imploded your marriage in the most egregious and callous way possible? Like is there an rear end in a top hat tax that actually impacts his eligibility to claim things? I feel like it should, but I don't know how alimony etc works, it's not a thing here.

I wish. I am in a no-fault state unfortunately. I was hoping that mediation would help, but *faaaart.* If it goes to court things would probably go better, but it would cost many thousands of dollars.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Why did the 16 month old have 2 meltdowns today? The neighbors parked their car facing their garage instead of facing the street and therefore he couldn't walk past it on the sidewalk he had to sit down and scream while pointing at it and refused to be picked up either. Both walks.

Reminds me of a passage from Dune where children grow up on space stations and the largest volume they've ever experienced is a basketball gym. Then they go down on the surface, open a door to the outside and start screaming because it's just sky

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Reminds me of a passage from Dune where children grow up on space stations and the largest volume they've ever experienced is a basketball gym. Then they go down on the surface, open a door to the outside and start screaming because it's just sky

Looking forward to the latest adaptation of Dune and hope it’s at least as good as the early 2000s SyFy miniseries

Something something kids something to stay on topic

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

What's the extra absorbent pads you put in night diapers to prevent pee throughs?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

3yo is a hellion today, a hair trigger all morning and into afternoon so far. Threw a toy when we chose his lunch for him when he wouldn’t choose, got a time out after I told him to go pick it up and he refused. Then didn’t want the lunch he made us choose for him, so we said it t was his choice to eat or not, but if he didn’t want to eat then it was naptime. Cue continual outbursts saying he wanted to eat but not actually sitting down to eat and just stalling, wherein I told him, eat now or nap now. No choice made, I said he can walk or be carried to his room, wouldn’t eat still so he got carried to his room where I held him until he calmed down, gave him one more chance to eat his lunch or the same thing that just happened would happen again. Two minutes goes by and he sits down, apparently after pondering if Daddy meant it or not and deciding yeah, he must mean it, plus I’m hungry so I should probably take this op.

Won the battle, but it was a Pyrrhic victory to be sure, he gave almost as good as he got

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Toddler is sick. He has a 103 fever, slightly runny nose, and diarrhea. No noticeable coughing. He's sleeping a ton as well. Going to get him covid tested tomorrow. :sigh:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

What's the extra absorbent pads you put in night diapers to prevent pee throughs?

Sposies are what we use. Been really helpful too, though he's still managed to have some accidents even with them on.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Last night my 3.5 year old sat down to dinner, looked at her plate (fried rice), looked me in the eye ‘Do I HAVE to eat this?’

Oof.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I didn’t roll out of bed until 1pm today, the baby and I cuddled from 5am onwards, it was great. Some friends gave me a truck load of bananas and tomatoes, so I made banana bars and spaghetti sauce today. Now we are hanging out on the couch watching TV shows with swears in them.

Amazing what you can get done with a baby who is happy to sit and watch you in the kitchen, and not having a toddler demanding attention every second.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can someone please explain to me why some cultures shave their kids heads one or multiple times

I'm of Very White Boi ancestry, and kids in my family their hair just starts to grow in around year 1. The idea of shaving a girl bald seems borderline barbaric to me

In my wife's family, it's tradition to shave the kids head right after birth, and often one or two more times before their second birthday

I've looked into this and apparently this is Very Common in cultures, especially as you head east past Turkey and especially into the indian subcontinent + far east Asia

So, I know it's common, I just don't know why, and none of the answers on Yahoo answers or Quora etc are very satisfying. Wife's family doesn't have any real answers besides "we've always done it this way". These kinds of traditions don't develop out of a vacuum. Can someone help a white dude out please

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
3mo is a natural houdini when it comes to swaddling. He gets his arms out so easily, we want to start trying one arm free at night. He's still using a snoo, and last night went alright (he woke up a bit early). If we're thinking he's waking up too much with the arm out, should we just keep going with it or hold back another month?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Can someone please explain to me why some cultures shave their kids heads one or multiple times

I'm of Very White Boi ancestry, and kids in my family their hair just starts to grow in around year 1. The idea of shaving a girl bald seems borderline barbaric to me

In my wife's family, it's tradition to shave the kids head right after birth, and often one or two more times before their second birthday

I've looked into this and apparently this is Very Common in cultures, especially as you head east past Turkey and especially into the indian subcontinent + far east Asia

So, I know it's common, I just don't know why, and none of the answers on Yahoo answers or Quora etc are very satisfying. Wife's family doesn't have any real answers besides "we've always done it this way". These kinds of traditions don't develop out of a vacuum. Can someone help a white dude out please

I think it’s because of a belief that it will make the hair grow in thicker.

Even my German aunt told me that I should shave off all my baby’s hair to make it thicker. She was already born with plenty of hair! I had no interest in shaving my baby and now she can sport quite the cute pigtails when she doesn’t feel like pulling them out.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Just judging from my own kids’ weird baby hair, it also keeps things from getting hilariously unfortunate looking as their hair falls out along wear patterns and starts growing in.

One had an inverse tonsure- long in the top and around the neckline, almost bald elsewhere- from like 5-9mo and it was real bad. The other is more even but has super long wispy sideburns for some reason. Definitely something to the ‘just start em off even’ school of thought.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
My second had very short hair on top, a big puffy tuft at the back and silky long hair at the back. It looked intentional, like we’d given her a flock of seagulls cut.

I was so sad when it grew out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My first had the “double crown” swirl thing which according to my MIL meant he would be stubborn and I wouldn’t say he is stubborn per se but he is drat infuriating sometimes.

The middle girl has super thick hair like her mom and the youngest has really fine and light hair and it’s way harder to get all dealt with than the thick straight hair of her sister!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My first had hair like Beaker.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Last night we went shopping, mainly for some clothes. Kids decided they wanted this and that (mainy junk, and stuff they already got actually, like a ball that blinks). When I tell them no they don't scream and throw fits, mostly they just started crying silently and where sad. I think it's more effective method than a tantrum... Still gotta hold firm. Can't drag home junk they get tired of in 5 minutes....

They both gave me comments later on like like they dont like me, they're angry at me and I should move out and they should live with just mom in the house from now on. But later before bed one of them came and said "I didn't like you earlier but now I like you again".

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

priznat posted:

My first had the “double crown” swirl thing which according to my MIL meant he would be stubborn and I wouldn’t say he is stubborn per se but he is drat infuriating sometimes.

And just like that, everything about my toddler makes sense.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

They both gave me comments later on like like they dont like me, they're angry at me and I should move out and they should live with just mom in the house from now on. But later before bed one of them came and said "I didn't like you earlier but now I like you again".

Oof

I’ll take a temper tantrum any day over that

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wife left for Napa today (work trip WORK TRIP she doesn’t drink okay?) and now I’m solo dadding for three days and nights and I am terrified. Especially after the night we had with baby girl wherein she just wouldn’t go to sleep when she normally would fall right asleep, we had to put her in her glider. Not sure what the deal is, maybe teething. Good news is, both are gonna be at daycare today, and toddler started on 5-day daycare once again so I’ll have the days to basically study or catch up on housework, but I’m still terrified.

Send tips for staying sane because though I’ve been alone for days on end with one child before and alone with both of them for hours at a time, I’m still anxious as gently caress.

Also send thoughts and prayers

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've often found just having one person around sometimes makes it easier with a toddler/young kid since they dont have multiple people to play off. Dunno how it works with two kids though! I'd probably be trying to think of lots of activities to both do with the toddler (projects, etc) and without (playground) and how to work baby naps and feedings into that :shrug:
good luck!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

I've often found just having one person around sometimes makes it easier with a toddler/young kid since they dont have multiple people to play off. Dunno how it works with two kids though! I'd probably be trying to think of lots of activities to both do with the toddler (projects, etc) and without (playground) and how to work baby naps and feedings into that :shrug:
good luck!

Yeah with our oldest, in the olden days he was better-behaved with just one of us and acted up with both of us. But now he is generally mad if baby sister is getting more attention than him, which is often

But they’ll be gone all day every day at the same daycare so I can study without interruption and get the house cleaned. No need to worry about baby naps, just nighttime and midnight/whatever feedings for baby

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

A laundry list of things that my 5yo daughter wants to know the taste of: quail, dove, rabbit, wild boar, kangaroo, bison, antelope, deer, aligator, frog, rattlesnake, ant eggs, honeypot ants, cricket, grasshopper. And ladybug, but i told her i never ate one of those.

It started when i pointed out a bunny in our front yard that hopped away while walking her to school. She asked why it was afraid of us and i told her that as a wild animal it was afraid of predators - things that wanted to eat it. She went "well that's silly people don't eat rabbits" to which i replied "... i've eaten them before" and then the questions just rolled in.

The look of horror on her face as i described the taste of cricket powder was priceless. I spared her the whole "gator totally counts as a fish for me/us" explanation since I'm the most lapsed Catholic that ever did lapse and didn't want to confuse a child that thought bugs and reptiles were the same thing further.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

life is killing me posted:

Wife left for Napa today (work trip WORK TRIP she doesn’t drink okay?) and now I’m solo dadding for three days and nights and I am terrified. Especially after the night we had with baby girl wherein she just wouldn’t go to sleep when she normally would fall right asleep, we had to put her in her glider. Not sure what the deal is, maybe teething. Good news is, both are gonna be at daycare today, and toddler started on 5-day daycare once again so I’ll have the days to basically study or catch up on housework, but I’m still terrified.

Send tips for staying sane because though I’ve been alone for days on end with one child before and alone with both of them for hours at a time, I’m still anxious as gently caress.

Also send thoughts and prayers

Do a time count down in your head, paired with a positive thought. “Only three more hours until bed time, I can do this.” Or it can be bigger, “Day one is over, we all survived, Only two more days to go, I can do anything for two days.” Know there’s an end in sight when you will have help again.

Keep the toddler entertained, and in diapers! For me, doing things outside is easiest, then I can hold the baby in his carrier while the toddler runs around and burns off energy. Is there a park or playground you could go to?

It’s tough but it’s doable, you will survive. You’ve got this, even if it seems impossible. It is possible! You can do it!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Do a time count down in your head, paired with a positive thought. “Only three more hours until bed time, I can do this.” Or it can be bigger, “Day one is over, we all survived, Only two more days to go, I can do anything for two days.” Know there’s an end in sight when you will have help again.

Keep the toddler entertained, and in diapers! For me, doing things outside is easiest, then I can hold the baby in his carrier while the toddler runs around and burns off energy. Is there a park or playground you could go to?

It’s tough but it’s doable, you will survive. You’ve got this, even if it seems impossible. It is possible! You can do it!

I keep telling myself, I went through ~3mo of army basic training and then AIT and 2 deployments, I can handle two kids by myself for three days and nights.

But gently caress, in some ways I would rather have drill sergeants watching my every move and giving me the knife hand when the kitchen isn’t clean

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Levitate posted:

good luck!

Same. My solo mornings with 2 kids are way chiller and more low-key than when dad's around.

My only other advice is to loosen screen time rules if you desperately need the crowd control. I'm fine with the toddler doing Khan Academy on the tablet or watching Bluey or whatever when I need to get dinner made, laundry folded, his brother fed, and whatever else absolutely needs to happen before bedtime and he's in one of his moods. Or if I'm also doing solo put downs, to keep him contained while I do baby's bedtime routine.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My 15mo seems to have his first ever cold. The amount of snot he can produce is off the charts. It's like a goddamn fountain

life is killing me posted:

giving me the knife hand
The wha

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Tom Smykowski posted:

My 15mo seems to have his first ever cold. The amount of snot he can produce is off the charts. It's like a goddamn fountain

The ogre toddler is just now getting over his sinus infection and can confirm that he seems to have an unlimited quantity of boogers to smear on whatever he wants at a moment's notice.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

citybeatnik posted:

The ogre toddler is just now getting over his sinus infection and can confirm that he seems to have an unlimited quantity of boogers to smear on whatever he wants at a moment's notice.

The current cold is the one where my toddler has figured out he can both clear his boogers and get a snuggle by rubbing his face all over mommy or daddy’s shirt.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

His Divine Shadow posted:

Last night we went shopping, mainly for some clothes. Kids decided they wanted this and that (mainy junk, and stuff they already got actually, like a ball that blinks). When I tell them no they don't scream and throw fits, mostly they just started crying silently and where sad. I think it's more effective method than a tantrum... Still gotta hold firm. Can't drag home junk they get tired of in 5 minutes....

My oldest is 7 and one of the hallmarks of her combined ADHD is emotional dysregulation, so when she gets emotional it goes straight to a fuckin 10 and stays there for a bit. I have a very lovely note on my fridge that says "I don't hate you anymore" with a drawing of her and I in a heart.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
It is absolutely, unbelievably, motherfuckingly ridiculous that we should need to send pull-ups, wipes, snacks, and lunch whenever the 2 oldest go over to biodad's house. And provide him with booster seats for the car. Maybe in a way it does indeed remind him of how pathetic he is, but...when you're talking about a guy who's cussing on speakerphone Discord VC when his kids are standing 8 feet away...yeah. I don't see the self-reflection ability to realize "hey why aren't I providing these things?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

D34THROW posted:

It is absolutely, unbelievably, motherfuckingly ridiculous that we should need to send pull-ups, wipes, snacks, and lunch whenever the 2 oldest go over to biodad's house. And provide him with booster seats for the car. Maybe in a way it does indeed remind him of how pathetic he is, but...when you're talking about a guy who's cussing on speakerphone Discord VC when his kids are standing 8 feet away...yeah. I don't see the self-reflection ability to realize "hey why aren't I providing these things?"

Every day I'm reminded that the bar for being considered a good dad is set excruciatingly low.