Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What? You absolutely can. It asks you what trait you want to transfer and which one you want to overwrite.

I mean when making them, what trait your getting is random for each item you pick up so to make a good item I have to make a bunch of items after scrolling through tons of lists of items I can make to see the random effects they give, then level them, then transfer them. Its a lot of busy work without a reason and its hard to tell what the "best" boost available is for a given category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's kind of weird that they released two games in the same series this close together but I've tried the newest game in the Tails Of series and unlike Arise it was actually really good and fun.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1283410/Tails_of_Iron/

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

eh, i thought the back half was fine. there's definitely some of what i would call Writing Jank, but that's hardly unique for the series, and it certainly wears the weird third act twists better than, like, Xillia, where they needed to make an entire second game just to finish the plot points they didn't have the time to. I'd still say the game's an 8ish and I'd still recommend it.

It does feel like the game was a bit rushed in the back half though. With how long this game was in development and it being a big tentpole release for this year for Bamco, it probably got rushed out when they needed more time. Going by interviews they spent a lot of time figuring out just what this game should even be.

Yeah, most of my issues with the back half is that there is a lot of sitting around exposition that completely alters the mood of the first half, sort of reminds me of xenogears/star ocean in that regard and not in a good way. But its still a solid experience, tiny warts and all.

By far the best combat in a tales game, great performance on PC, likeable characters that (almost) never grate, and a normal difficulty that wont have a guy walk into the thread arguing inanely that they could beat it in automode. Easily an 8/10 game in my book.

Cant wait to see what the team does after this because its a pretty solid block to start off from a technical and mechanical standpoint for future tales.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, most of my issues with the back half is that there is a lot of sitting around exposition that completely alters the mood of the first half, sort of reminds me of xenogears/star ocean in that regard and not in a good way. But its still a solid experience, tiny warts and all.

By far the best combat in a tales game, great performance on PC, likeable characters that (almost) never grate, and a normal difficulty that wont have a guy walk into the thread arguing inanely that they could beat it in automode. Easily an 8/10 game in my book.

Cant wait to see what the team does after this because its a pretty solid block to start off from a technical and mechanical standpoint for future tales.

my glib opinion is that Tales of Arise is the best Star Ocean game in years, Arise's plot was almost exactly what Star Ocean 5 was trying to go for but failed miserably at

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I find myself struggling most with battles that have multiple casters. Rinwell's boost attack doesn't charge quickly enough and sometimes I can't get a bunch of them in a row to negate them. Is the easiest way to stop them from using artes just to put them in Break?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Rinwell's VA got away with murder considering most of her dialogue consists of her just grunting or sighing

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Barudak posted:

You can, late game, move the bonus traits from accessories to other accessories. You never can target specific traits however, so the whole system just sucks and I refuse to interact with it

Still sounds better than managing 1000's of identical pieces of gear like Berseria had.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Carlosologist posted:

I find myself struggling most with battles that have multiple casters. Rinwell's boost attack doesn't charge quickly enough and sometimes I can't get a bunch of them in a row to negate them. Is the easiest way to stop them from using artes just to put them in Break?

in my experience, strong attacks and attacks that move enemies have the best chance of disrupting a cast

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Still sounds better than managing 1000's of identical pieces of gear like Berseria had.

Lol if you bothered doing that.

Even on hard equipment didn’t matter

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Carlosologist posted:

You can increase your penetration stat in a pinch, which causes more stuns. Or just, you know, dodge I guess.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol if you bothered doing that.

Even on hard equipment didn’t matter

Actually it did if you were doing a ng+ run on intense

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok the post game sidequest opened up the set of bonus dungeons. Chug happy bottles, eat boss fish steaks, gain two levels per boss beating the bosses inside.

Current goal become so buff on Kisara I can face roll her personal trial missions in the arena so I can finish off the fishing.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
gain the power to kill god to fish better

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
4th lord This fight would be a lot more dramatic if the gimmick actually worked. The dialogue implies you're supposed to use Rinwell's boost to steal her artes, but both times I tried it literally did nothing. Doesn't help that you only get to actually use her Boost when the stars align and she happens to have it charged up at the right time. These fights are such an obvious misstep in how unfun they are.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Momomo posted:

4th lord This fight would be a lot more dramatic if the gimmick actually worked. The dialogue implies you're supposed to use Rinwell's boost to steal her artes, but both times I tried it literally did nothing. Doesn't help that you only get to actually use her Boost when the stars align and she happens to have it charged up at the right time. These fights are such an obvious misstep in how unfun they are.

At the very end of that charging phase where she's about to unleash her Mystic Arte, you can use Rinwell for a split second to steal and knock her down regardless of if she can Boost or not.. All I can really say is that explosive ring spam is your best friend there, if you've gotten the "more HP for stronger Blazing Sword attacks" upgrades. It only works once unless I'm missing something else. The fight's rear end, it's the only one I had to lower from Moderate for so far.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I tried it again on Story difficulty because I really don't have the patience for these bosses, and wow, you really weren't kidding about the Split Second thing. I didn't even notice that the first time I tried the boss, why the hell does this work differently then the time Law got to do it.

I went in assuming you killed the monster and then had to fight her but no, beating the dragon somehow put her near death, even though I didn't touch her at all. That was a very strange section that felt underwhelming for every character involved. I'm annoyed that Rinwell's development was so awkwardly handled as it's not the worst way of handling revenge (though I still feel like in this game, where they've killed two lords out of anger so far, and it's treated triumphantly, it really doesn't fit that well) but they robbed her of her agency in both scenes it comes up in.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Endorph posted:

eh, i thought the back half was fine. there's definitely some of what i would call Writing Jank, but that's hardly unique for the series, and it certainly wears the weird third act twists better than, like, Xillia, where they needed to make an entire second game just to finish the plot points they didn't have the time to. I'd still say the game's an 8ish and I'd still recommend it.

It does feel like the game was a bit rushed in the back half though. With how long this game was in development and it being a big tentpole release for this year for Bamco, it probably got rushed out when they needed more time. Going by interviews they spent a lot of time figuring out just what this game should even be.

None of Xillia 2's important plot points are related to 1's at all and retroactively makes everything in the original dumb and barely relevant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

McTimmy posted:

None of Xillia 2's important plot points are related to 1's at all and retroactively makes everything in the original dumb and barely relevant.
no but a lot of the sidequests are based on unresolved/glossed over stuff from 1, and gaius and muzet being playable is a cut element from 1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im now level 77 and climbing. The current question stands; why the hell did Tales of Destiny and only Tales of Destiny so far get the special treatment while Abyss and Symphonia get reheated leftovers from the main game.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Endorph posted:

no but a lot of the sidequests are based on unresolved/glossed over stuff from 1, and gaius and muzet being playable is a cut element from 1

No, they really really aren't. But like most of X2 it puts enough of a sheen on things to seem presentable at a glance but thinking about it for a moment of time just has everything collapse into stupidity, contradictions and plot holes.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I might have to shelf this game. I'm only in the 2nd zone after Rinwell joins the party and I find the game's writing/presentation awful. I was hoping things would get better, but it seems like what I'm reading in the last two pages is that this is supposed to be the good part of the game. Tales games are probably just not for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no i mean they literally are, thats objective fact that has been explicitly confirmed by the developers and also is apparent in the text. how its executed is not at all what im talking about here, jude and millia's character quests is obviously unused plot elements from xillia 1 and theyve explicitly said before in interviews multiple times that gaius and muzet were meant to be playable in x1.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ok the final few set of weapons in the game are expensive as gently caress and I finally need to farm some gald.

Should I just run around with the "More Dropped Items L" cook effect up? any better ways to farm that sweet sweet money?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

McTimmy posted:

No, they really really aren't. But like most of X2 it puts enough of a sheen on things to seem presentable at a glance but thinking about it for a moment of time just has everything collapse into stupidity, contradictions and plot holes.

Xillia 2 is basically a fan disk game that exists because Xillia 1 was rushed like crazy. It's just an excuse to wrap up loose ends and have more time for these characters to do more stuff and write a bunch of funny Gaius skits.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Nyoro posted:

Ok the final few set of weapons in the game are expensive as gently caress and I finally need to farm some gald.

Should I just run around with the "More Dropped Items L" cook effect up? any better ways to farm that sweet sweet money?

I do a couple runs of More Dropped Items L when I get to a new area and get some grinding in. I haven't dipped below 100k since I first got to the fourth realm.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

McTimmy posted:

It's a throwback to Phantasia, then?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't get the cooking effects. I assume S, M, L are Small, Medium Large, but what is T? Also, Dohalim's cooking effect says "Increases cooking effect by 30% once remaining" Remaining what, game? Remaining what?!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Momomo posted:

I don't get the cooking effects. I assume S, M, L are Small, Medium Large, but what is T? Also, Dohalim's cooking effect says "Increases cooking effect by 30% once remaining" Remaining what, game? Remaining what?!

These are basically formatting problems in the English version so I can tell you that T is most likely "Tiny" and iirc the 30% thing is once half the duration of the food is remaining.

Between the latter and some other stuff I've heard I have to wonder what kind of QA the English version got...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
T is "Tiny", lower than small. T > S > M > L in terms of effects.

Dohalim and Shionne's cooking effect text is cut short for some reason, their full effects are:

Dohalim: Increase cooking effects by 30% one remaining food duration is less than half.
Shionne: Consumes double ingredients for +90% to cooking effects and duration.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Sydin posted:

Xillia 2 is basically a fan disk game that exists because Xillia 1 was rushed like crazy. It's just an excuse to wrap up loose ends and have more time for these characters to do more stuff and write a bunch of funny Gaius skits.

Adding huge gaping plot holes doesn't help close loose ends.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You can press Start when looking at the food effects to get actual numbers so it's something like

T>S>M>L
3>5>8>10% increases

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

FireWorksWell posted:

I do a couple runs of More Dropped Items L when I get to a new area and get some grinding in. I haven't dipped below 100k since I first got to the fourth realm.

Yeah I suppose I could run thru the final dungeon and see what the drops go for

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

Ok the post game sidequest opened up the set of bonus dungeons. Chug happy bottles, eat boss fish steaks, gain two levels per boss beating the bosses inside.

Current goal become so buff on Kisara I can face roll her personal trial missions in the arena so I can finish off the fishing.

You don't need the training mission lure you finish off fishing, that's the only one you can't buy/get from the fisherman guy, if you check the rod/lure screen for what fish respond to what button presses you can use random chance to fish up everything. All the lures do is guarantee that fish turns up when you cast.
Also the training mission you get it from is v easy, if you're at, or past, end game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cleared out all the optional bosses and side quests available before you finish the game, sitting on 51 hours played. Guess I'd better kill the final boss now lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I hit the obligatory cutscene right before the final boss, and I assume in grand tales fashion a billion sidequests just opened up after seeing it. Can I just fight the final boss and do all the quests postgame, or do I miss stuff if I don't turn back now?

Also lmao the second half of this game is designed so bizarrely. Walk into a room with six teleporters labeled for each Astral energy type. Oh god I think, they're padding this even more with a megaman boss rush aren't they? But no, it's just elite mobs defending some really nice endgame stuff. Okay, this is fine. Then after three of those I walk into the fourth teleporter and oh hi Sword Dancer, funny seeing you here! :stare: Why is that just shoved off to the side in a random teleporter in a room full of other teleporters that lead to completely normal enemies?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think most stuff opens up before that point, then a few after you finish the game, I'm only at the middle point of the final dungeon and I'm sitting on 67/70 side quests done according to the in game stats.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's no point of no return

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Caphi posted:

These are basically formatting problems in the English version so I can tell you that T is most likely "Tiny" and iirc the 30% thing is once half the duration of the food is remaining.

Between the latter and some other stuff I've heard I have to wonder what kind of QA the English version got...

Still a step up from Berseria

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There's also how at least on the PS5 confirm is labelled "Enter".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Gampead support on PC is also horrible. It regularly drops the xbox button prompts and you can only configure the controls in the steam overlay