Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Duolingo was cool at first but the way they do it kind of ruined the concept of learning languages for me. The constant reminders to do your lesson today so you don't lose a streak etc just wore me down. I made it to like 250 days in a row and missed one day (after using up all my freezes) and haven't touched it in like 4 months. Plus there's the fact that it feels like the equivalent of memorizing a phrasebook than learning the language. I know how to say a lot of things in Norwegian now but I wouldn't be able to make it two sentences into a casual conversation with a native speaker.

I dunno, it's a free and generally well designed app that actually has helped millions of people learn new languages. It obviously has its limitations, but I spent 18 months learning Spanish on my lunch breaks at work, and while it didn't make me fluent, it did mean when I went to Mexico I could make basic small talk and have transactional conversations etc, which is pretty awesome I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s best as a supplement/review if your goal is more than “not be a rude tourist”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember trying my Duolingo Dutch in Amsterdam and a waitress looked at me like an alien

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I hate how often I see people referring to jack-o-lanterns as pumpkins. Before the vegetable is carved its a pumpkin but once the carving process is complete and it has a face/whatever other kind of fancy carving you're supposed to call it a motherfreakin jack-o-lantern!!!!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Debunk This! posted:

I hate how often I see people referring to jack-o-lanterns as pumpkins. Before the vegetable is carved its a pumpkin but once the carving process is complete and it has a face/whatever other kind of fancy carving you're supposed to call it a motherfreakin jack-o-lantern!!!!

is it really a jack-o-lantern with just carvings though? I think the internal candle is the more important differentiator between a pupkin and jack o lantern.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Without the candle you got jack

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

is it really a jack-o-lantern with just carvings though? I think the internal candle is the more important differentiator between a pupkin and jack o lantern.

Yeah the candle counts to, I thought of that after I made my post but imo the carving comes first and is more important to jack-o-lantern status

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
For some reason I'm bothered when people just paint the pumpkin instead of carving it at all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dip Viscous posted:

For some reason I'm bothered when people just paint the pumpkin instead of carving it at all.

Because why does it even have to be a pumpkin? Get a ball or a rock

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

The last pumpkin that I carved turned out so bad that calling it a jack o lantern felt like false advertising 🎃

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My jack-o-lantern peeve is when people have to bust out the dremels and poo poo to make a lovingly rendered bas relief R2D2 or whatever. This is a children's holiday craft, what are you trying to prove?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HOLY gently caress posted:

The last pumpkin that I carved turned out so bad that calling it a jack o lantern felt like false advertising 🎃

A jacked-up lantern?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A jacked-up lantern?

I kept trying to fix it but ended up making it worse :negative:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My birthday is 11 september and I have to clarify every year to new people that no, no, really, I'm not making a bad joke, it's really my birthday.

Also whenever I have to show my id/passport and the person checking it must comment.

I had the date before those dumb dead people did :colbert:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My birthday is 11 september and I have to clarify every year to new people that no, no, really, I'm not making a bad joke, it's really my birthday.

Happy Siege of Vienna day?

I hate people in hospitals complaining about anti-infection protocols (not even covid, somebody had some ugly bacteria and needed to avoid being touched).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can Yom Kippur be a peeve cuz I've been at work and fasting for twelve hours and I am not happy! Chosen people my rear end. Only a few more hours, gimme the kugel and quiche please.

Hangry at Hashem.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People treating any attempt to establish a common definition of a word as telling them that they're wrong and refusing to engage with their point. When in fact it's the exact opposite.

Look, it just seemed like we were using the same word but meaning two completely different things. I quoted a dictionary entry because dictionary writers are much better at defining words than I am, not because I think dictionaries are unassailable authorities. I'm trying to explain what I meant by it so we can get past this misunderstanding. I'm not telling you your definition is wrong, it's just not what I meant when I said the word.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also whenever I have to show my id/passport and the person checking it must comment.

I had the date before those dumb dead people did :colbert:

As someone who got a bunch of "Happy birthday, have you heard about the insurrection going on at at the Capitol?" texts earlier this year I feel your pain.

(I had not. I was working, and extremely confused and alarmed for a good while.)

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I enter a room, I am in a room, and then I exit a room. And then it is time to start calling my name.

What changed in that four seconds? Just talk to me when I am there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Me going to take a shower: Well, the baby is sleeping and everyone else seems to be happily doing something, mind if I take a brief shower, dear wife?

Wife going to take a shower: IT'S SEVEN AM AND I JUST WOKE UP THE BABY, THE KID, AND YOU FOR NO REASON REALLY! I'M GOING INTO THE SHOWER FOR HALF AN HOUR WHILE THEY SCREAM FOR ME, BYE

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Dog videos that are just narration or "dog speak" captions while the dog is staring at an off-screen treat. It works for Andrew Cotter because he actually shows the dogs enjoying their treats at the end but it does not work for all those Facebook videos where the person filming it clearly thinks you're too stupid to realize what is going on (to be fair, it's a reasonable assumption for much of the audience).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Is it so much to ask people to act like grown adults instead of spoiled children? I just went down to the basement to leave a file for someone to come in and review. My supervisor told me the person is going to make an appointment to look at it later in the week. Cool great, easy.

The staff down there saw who the file was for and got pissed at me because that person had come and gone about an hour ago. Well poo poo people I was only told about it.... about an hour ago and it takes time to find a dang file sometimes. Then when I told them that person is making an appointment for later, they accused my supervisor of lying!

First of all don't shoot the messenger! Second if you're pissed at the public, don't take it out on staff! I don't get paid enough for that poo poo. gently caress off!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The fad of "realistic" viking era shows where the vikings are war gods and the saxons can't do a shield wall.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Is it so much to ask people to act like grown adults instead of spoiled children?

This is not, I don't think, a radical idea that has occurred only to my own personal galaxy brain: I think social media has locked a lot of people into a state of low-level agitation and perpetual emotional adolescence. That may not have been the original intention, but it was by god the result and it turned out to have been great for business, so yes, it is going to be a lot to ask.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's a lot of times I myself will read a message and respond later. But read receipts still make me feel like a teenager waiting for their crush to text them back. Why does anything have them? It helps no one.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's a lot of times I myself will read a message and respond later. But read receipts still make me feel like a teenager waiting for their crush to text them back. Why does anything have them? It helps no one.

I'm so glad Signal at least lets you turn them off, for yourself and anyone who converses with you. We must resist the tyranny of the read receipt

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah, read receipts are awful. Turning them off on WhatsApp was one of the best things I ever did.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm bi but dated guys most of my adult life

Double peeve: I live with a russian woman now, and good god I never ever want to hear any mail order bride or "heheh guess you were straight all along" comments.

Nope, didn't pay for her, she's just cool, and nope, I'm glad I sucked all those dicks and I'd do it again

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm glad I sucked all those dicks and I'd do it again

It's been a minute since we've had a new thread title

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've heard that--and I hope it's true--we resuck all the dicks we've sucked when we die

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Sep 27, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

It's been a minute since we've had a new thread title

Two years almost to the day.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Losing a highly-promoted veteran unit on a 99% victory chance battle...

...with a CATAPULT.

gently caress you

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Brawnfire posted:

Losing a highly-promoted veteran unit on a 99% victory chance battle...

...with a CATAPULT.

gently caress you

Well you know the old saying: everybody has a plan until they get hit by a Big Rock.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The saving throw against Squish is notoriously hard.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Back in the early 90's I was playing the OG Civilization and somehow a caravan...a loving CARAVAN (which in those days had an actual defense rating) successfully defended one of my cities against 3 enemy Armor units.

God bless that little camel.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Canadians who say the US healthcare system is better

It's not better morons, you only say that because you have canadian healthcare

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Back in the early 90's I was playing the OG Civilization and somehow a caravan...a loving CARAVAN (which in those days had an actual defense rating) successfully defended one of my cities against 3 enemy Armor units.

God bless that little camel.

Those were always the units I gave special names to.

Which means they'd die the next turn

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've got dog blood and poop running down my leg and I've been at work for what's increasingly approaching 24 hours

peeve: whoever left wet leftover beans to rot in the sink. They were good when fresh but holy goddam gently caress they are gross now and I have neither the will or talent to clean the empty pot. This is a vet's office. There are dogs and cats here. If I can smell the reek then good lord they must be able to, and they're already terrified and in pain.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When I share my screen and people comment on my number of unread emails. yeah I didn't click on over 21000 emails I didn't want to read, what of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
And what do they expect you to do at this point, sit there and delete 21,000 old emails 50 at a time? Who honestly cares that much about their email inbox?