Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I know (now) that a financial advisor isn't always the best idea, but the one I worked with after getting my first non-retail job is the reason I started a 401k as early as I did instead of blowing it off in my 20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I keep all my money with Capital Under Management.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

silence_kit posted:

They aren't all bad.

Some people in this forum have posted that they've found, and I forget the term, certain kinds of financial advisors to be helpful. These are the ones who charge a flat fee or an hourly fee, and do not charge an annual fee based on assets under management or get commissions from selling financial products. I think forums poster moana is one.

edit: I've never hired one, but I imagine that they serve as someone who teaches you about different kinds of financial products and given your goals for saving/investing helps you identify which ones to purchase. They probably also act as kind of a financial psychiatrist.

My parents use Vanguard Personal Advisor Services. It’s a combo roboadvisor and human got 0.3% of directly managed assets. They’ve been happy, they work with you to optimally allocate your 401k and then the brokerage/IRA’s you setup with them gets allocated to balance what isn’t available in the 401k.

I think it’s a good buy for peace of mind. Their fee structure also gets cheaper the more money you have with them but it has to be a lot.

I wouldn’t suggest EJ or Ameriprise.

My parents originally worked with an Ameriprise fee-based guy and they seemed really pleased. Then when my mom retired the whole sales pitch changed and it set off both my parents’ bullshit alarm and they dropped him fast. They were pissed.

Thank gently caress they’re sane investors. I’m not worried about them at all. I do worry about the in-laws…

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Is a condo a smart investment for me? posted:

I am 25 years old, have a stable job. I am interested in purchasing a condo, as I don't understand why I'd continue to pay (more in) rent when I can have a lower monthly mortgage and own.

I have:

* $75k yearly income before taxes + $1-5k bonus

* $4k in checking

* $5k in savings

* $15k in 401(k) and $10k in Roth IRA

I have found some nice condos for about $175,000 – $190,000 in my area. Using some online mortgage calculators, I think the monthly payment would be about $900, which is lower than my current rent ($1,200). From my experience renting in the city, the condo would easily rent monthly for $1,300 – $1,500.

My questions are:

* Am I able to afford this?

* Is this a good investment?

* I eventually want to move away from the area (within 2 years or so). I understand that if you're purchasing something as a rental property, you can't get the same mortgage/rates as if you were purchasing it for your primary residence. However, if I am purchasing it as my primary residence for *now*, but thinking of renting it out at a later date (within 2 years), does that change anything?

Thanks so much!

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Today I found out my parents have a lot of money locked up in a 1-year CD. Like several times their monthly living expenses. My dad says he is trying to time the market but this couldn't possibly be right? Just seems like a waste. But my dad said I could borrow some money and invest it for him though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Nirvikalpa posted:

:words: But my dad said I could borrow some money and invest it for him though.

Let the Bad With Money flow through you. This is a good workaround for the “don’t self post”. Be Bad With Money on someone else’s behalf.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Nirvikalpa posted:

Today I found out my parents have a lot of money locked up in a 1-year CD. Like several times their monthly living expenses. My dad says he is trying to time the market but this couldn't possibly be right? Just seems like a waste. But my dad said I could borrow some money and invest it for him though.

Without context, whats so bad about that? I wouldnt pick a 1 year CD today over say, an I-bond, but theres nothing inherently wrong with having some percentage of ones assets in government insured investments that cant lose value and have a positive nominal return.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I have four 1-year CDs, spaced three months apart, each of which can cover three months' expenses (or a big emergency). They're making dick-all compared to my other accounts but that's not what they're there for. They're a tiny fraction of my overall invested assets, and they're in CDs just to get slightly better interest than a savings account. So far I haven't had to dip into them but it's nice knowing that I only have to survive a few months and then I have a year at minimum ready to go if I lose my job that long or something huge happens. If that's what they're doing I don't see a problem (obviously), or even if it's just a small low-risk diversification for them.

Now, if the entirety or even a sizeable portion of their retirement is in CDs then yeah that's not great, but thankfully they would only be out a year before reinvesting.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I feel like laddering CDs was standard advice for what to do with your medium-term emergency fund pre-2008. Maybe from Suze Ormand or something.

somewhere out there are min-maxers with their medium term emergency funds in 24 separate 36-month CD on auto-renew

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 20, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

DarkHorse posted:

I have four 1-year CDs, spaced three months apart, each of which can cover three months' expenses (or a big emergency). They're making dick-all compared to my other accounts but that's not what they're there for. They're a tiny fraction of my overall invested assets, and they're in CDs just to get slightly better interest than a savings account. So far I haven't had to dip into them but it's nice knowing that I only have to survive a few months and then I have a year at minimum ready to go if I lose my job that long or something huge happens. If that's what they're doing I don't see a problem (obviously), or even if it's just a small low-risk diversification for them.

Now, if the entirety or even a sizeable portion of their retirement is in CDs then yeah that's not great, but thankfully they would only be out a year before reinvesting.

See now that's confusing. I know CD ladders are great and all, but every CD I've looked at for the last several years has been on par with, or at best marginally better than, a HYSA. So unless you got lucky and locked in a CD at the top, all you're doing is getting an extra few pennies a year in exchange for the risk of having to take an early withdrawal penalty on the CD.

Unless I'm missing some great CDs... our CU has never had the best CD rates, but they've been good about keeping pace with HYSA/checking rates enough for us to keep our cash with them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
When I got them they were like a quarter to half a percentage point higher than any HYSA I found (Ally was usually best), but it's quite likely that's no longer the case. I'll have to check

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

All the cool min maxers ladders their money into ibonds and are earning north of 3.5% APR (Soon to be over 5%) on a risk free asset 😎

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ranbo das posted:

All the cool min maxers ladders their money into ibonds and are earning north of 3.5% APR (Soon to be over 5%) on a risk free asset 😎

Tens of dollars we're making!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
CNBC did an interview with Teen "meme stockers" and crypto traders.

This quote basically sums up the entire thing:

https://twitter.com/dougboneparth/status/1439933640339857416

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*drinks juice box from a wine glass*

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

CNBC did an interview with Teen "meme stockers" and crypto traders.

This quote basically sums up the entire thing:

https://twitter.com/dougboneparth/status/1439933640339857416

Getting stock tips from the shoe shine boy Tiktok star.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This sub forum has really put a dent in my idle daydream flowchart of the first things to do when I win the powerball:
1. Lawyer up
2. Find way to anonymously claim winnings
3. Talk to fiduciary financial advisor to sort out investment options

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

This sub forum has really put a dent in my idle daydream flowchart of the first things to do when I win the powerball:
1. Lawyer up
2. Find way to anonymously claim winnings
3. Talk to fiduciary financial advisor to sort out investment options

This is possibly the best and most informative reddit post ever:

https://old.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/24vo34/whats_the_happiest_5word_sentence_you_could_hear/chb38xf/

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Most states don't allow you to remain anonymous when claiming the Powerball.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They used to, but a bunch of states made it a requirement to publicly disclose winners and provide a picture in order to claim it because not being able to advertise winners hurt public participation in the lottery.

lol

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The obvious right move--and the one missing from those guides--is to move immediately. Leave the state. Buy a house in a wealthy neighborhood in a big city on the other side of the country. Or in a wealthy suburb. Whatever.

Or poo poo, buy a big ol' yacht and live marina-to-marina.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The problem there is you've now isolated yourself from all your family and friends. Goons have no friends and hate their families, so we'd probably be fine, but for most people that's a big deal. You can make more friends, but the rich people in your new swanky neighborhood might want nothing to do with you and your luck money. So now you're lonely, with no support system, and enough money to indulge in all your worst self destructive behaviors.

It really is a monkey's paw poo poo sandwich.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I wonder what the stats are for other lottery-like outcomes:
- Big lawsuit settlement
- Company stock option/IPO win
- Bought by Facebook
- Unexpected long-lost relative type inheritances
- Winning side of the Big Short

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ipo win is less homicide because very many of the other peeps you know have also become rich and more depression and drinking, at least among my plutocrat school buddies

also increasingly elaborate burning man dealios, which is frankly similar

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I think lottery winners are a cut above because you don't win the lottery by making good decisions. You win the lottery by being a lifelong gambler.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

OP refuses to say what it was spent on, but I have no idea how you could get into 70k of credit card debt on an 86k salary with no rent, no car payments, no mortgage, and no utility payments in a year.

quote:

70k in debt don't know what to do?

I have over 70000 in credit card debt seems like I'm getting nowhere I'm single no house no rent no car... well don't own anything. Long haul trucker. I make about 67000 a year not including per diem which is a government allowance that's like 17000 untaxed so I make like 86k a year give or take net usually 1250 to 1350 a week after 401k and all that.

I was considering national debt relief however they charge too much and I risk lawsuit and a pain. I want to go bankrupt get rid of these plastic cards because I have zero impulse control. however I wouldn't pass the means test median income of my state. I just don't seem to have any money in the bank after paying like 2700 a month just in minimums getting nowhere really need help what to do what to do?

"My parents are very financially responsible."

"My parents don't have any money right now due to some bad financial decisions and a recent refinance of their house."

"My parents need to put my name on their half a million dollar mortgage because otherwise they will have a 5+% (!?!) mortgage interest rate."

"I'm getting all of the benefits in this scenario because you can deduct a house from your taxes right?"

"They have someone who they think is an accountant advising them and he says it doesn't count as a mortgage if your parents pay it."

quote:

Should I let my parents use my name for a mortgage for a rental property? (USA)

Hi, my parents have been asking me for permission to use my name for a mortgage to buy an apartment to rent out. They already paid off their home so this won't affect their housing situation at all. My parents are both financially responsible but my father has low income and my mother recently did a refinance for another property so their interest rates would be close to 5%. However, using my name will supposedly get them <3%. The mortgage will be ~$500,000 over 30 years. I'm 22 and currently making $175k living with my parents but will eventually also need to pay for rent either in the Bay Area.

I want to evaluate the pros and cons of doing this. What I know so far are that the pros are helping my parents invest in another property without the poor rates and getting the ability to claim tax deductions for this home. The cons seem to be that I will be responsible for the loans if poo poo goes wrong, it'll be harder for me to get another loan (I have no plans to buy a home within the next 5 years), and I lose my first time home owner benefits. I believe I'll also own part of the property as well so I guess I can sell my % of the place if I can't pay? My parents are also planning to sell this property in the next few years.

Given this information, do you guys think it's OK to let my parents use my name? I really want to help them but I want to cover my rear end too.

Their accountant(?) that if I ever applied for another loan, I can prove that my parents have been making all the payments and that the mortgage will be ignored in that case. Is that true?

Are the benefits of the being a first time home owners really worth saving? Is it possible to regain the benefits somehow?

Thanks!!!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

I wonder what the stats are for other lottery-like outcomes:
- Big lawsuit settlement
- Company stock option/IPO win
- Bought by Facebook
- Unexpected long-lost relative type inheritances
- Winning side of the Big Short

Most of those at least involve perceived effort. Even if you lucked into it, like Mark Cuban selling broadcast.com for 6 billion only to have it shut down 2 years later. He still gets credit for being a smart businessman.

But I suspect people who big lawsuit settlements deal with the same poo poo as lottery winners. Especially if it's a structured settlement and you realize it's your money and you want it now.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Most of those at least involve perceived effort. Even if you lucked into it, like Mark Cuban selling broadcast.com for 6 billion only to have it shut down 2 years later. He still gets credit for being a smart businessman.

But I suspect people who big lawsuit settlements deal with the same poo poo as lottery winners. Especially if it's a structured settlement and you realize it's your money and you want it now.

The settlement winners are getting compensation, not a windfall. They earned it with their scarred bodies, 25 years wrongly spent in jail, etc.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think the main differences are:

- All the others generally involve longer term projects and a likelihood of being setup with knowledge and professional contacts to help you manage money well. The closest to an "overnight hundred millionaire" is a lawsuit settlement and even then those take years, and if you're attorney isn't a complete scumbag (not a given I know) can probably recommend you someone to help setup your finances in trusts for you and your family.

- Lotteries intentionally advertise the poo poo out of big winners and their identities to sell more tickets.

- Lotteries inherently target people who are BWM and BWM people absolutely cluster in friends and family cohorts.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That Reddit post lived in my head whenever the powerball was a record breaking sum a few years back. My coworkers were talking about the dumb stuff they’d buy while I’m sitting there debating if growing a beard, shaving my eyebrows, wearing colored contacts, and legally changing my name before claiming the winnings would be enough to get people off the trail.

The lottery winners who bought my relative’s land had it for 2 years before it went back on the market.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

I think lottery winners are a cut above because you don't win the lottery by making good decisions. You win the lottery by being a lifelong gambler.

Eh I'm in a lottery syndicate at work because it's $4 a week and I see that as insurance that I don't kill myself after half my coworkers win and quit on the same day.

The owners in it in case we win and he's gotta replace half the shop in record time.

It also nukes the payout and the anonymous thing though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I remember one site had an article about winning the lottery, and it mentioned using a blind trust to access the winnings. A lot of the other advice was similar, the most important being "get as far away from your home as possible."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CitizenKain posted:

I remember one site had an article about winning the lottery, and it mentioned using a blind trust to access the winnings. A lot of the other advice was similar, the most important being "get as far away from your home as possible."

The problem is that IIRC all that is extremely state dependent. The last time I drunkenly looked this up I'm pretty sure some states had requirements that the winner make the claim in person and not via a LLC/blind trust/etc

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mrmcd posted:

I think the main differences are:

- All the others generally involve longer term projects and a likelihood of being setup with knowledge and professional contacts to help you manage money well. The closest to an "overnight hundred millionaire" is a lawsuit settlement and even then those take years, and if you're attorney isn't a complete scumbag (not a given I know) can probably recommend you someone to help setup your finances in trusts for you and your family.

- Lotteries intentionally advertise the poo poo out of big winners and their identities to sell more tickets.

- Lotteries inherently target people who are BWM and BWM people absolutely cluster in friends and family cohorts.

Sure, the lack of publicity does make a difference. Then again you have those families who get big payouts from the city after cops murder a loved one. I couldn't find any data on how they cope, but I suspect they deal with a lot the same bad externalities that lottery winners see.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

OP refuses to say what it was spent on, but I have no idea how you could get into 70k of credit card debt on an 86k salary with no rent, no car payments, no mortgage, and no utility payments in a year.

Long haul trucker with zero impulse control? There's definitely some drugs in that but I'm guessing a large amount of camgirl private shows or brothel visits or something of that nature.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

greazeball posted:

Long haul trucker with zero impulse control? There's definitely some drugs in that but I'm guessing a large amount of camgirl private shows or brothel visits or something of that nature.

It's always one of the Ds.
Drugs, Dames, or Dgambling.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Cyrano4747 posted:

The problem is that IIRC all that is extremely state dependent. The last time I drunkenly looked this up I'm pretty sure some states had requirements that the winner make the claim in person and not via a LLC/blind trust/etc

Virginia has a weird one where you can claim anonymously but only if the prize is over $10 million. $10 million or less, tough poo poo, everyone knows your name, face, and hometown.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
could you legally change your name to Richard Johnson and then change it back

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

senrath posted:

Virginia has a weird one where you can claim anonymously but only if the prize is over $10 million. $10 million or less, tough poo poo, everyone knows your name, face, and hometown.

And that law is only a year or so old, before that it was tough poo poo for everyone.

Ive wondered how that works for games like "Cash 4 Life." Do they have an actuarial table they refer to do determine if, on average, your prize will be worth $10M or more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

could you legally change your name to Richard Johnson and then change it back

Name change might be a matter of public record