Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

1. The art on this is absolutely beautiful.
2. That disgusting creature has fantastic hair.

Kavak posted:

I like how everyone was complaining about Everett True's jingoistic turn and then And He Did comes up from behind to win the "Most Bloodthirsty WWI Strip" award.

At least it'll be over next monthoh who am I kidding the postwar strips are somehow going to be worse aren't they
Well, I have found myself whispering “Jesus Christ” to myself less when pulling the post-war strips. So there’s hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
No Crabgrass Today

Old School Peanuts (Jan 6, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 7-8, 1990)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 19, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Classic Zits

Connie’s punctuation boobs are swiftly becoming my favorite hallmark of these early years!

i'm sorry, her what?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i'm sorry, her what?

The artist will frequently make connies boobs jump around for exclamation or excitement in a non sexual way. It's amusing.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

He's still got his hair lol
Man! Really stretched this one out didn't he?

Powered Descent posted:

drat it, I can only find nine of the ten hidden symbols. Clockwise from the top, I've got the inverted bird, the flying saucer, Olive Oyl, the pie, K2, the crown, the eyeball, the bunny, and the dynamite.. This is going to drive me bonkers.
Olive Oyl is also wearing a crown.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Of course she used doge as a model.

Mary Worth

Oh, Wilbur.

The Phantom

This is a weird and confusing storyline that appears to add nothing of value to the Phantom mythos.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

This one shot right past dad joke and into grandpa joke territory.

Flash Gordon

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Murdstone posted:

He's still got his hair lol

Man! Really stretched this one out didn't he?

Olive Oyl is also wearing a crown.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Of course she used doge as a model.

Not a terrible example because they look vaguely like a fat coyote but have a corkscrew tale.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Oh, Wilbur.

"Now, how can I convince Saul to give me his dog?"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

No Saturday comic for either of these right now because CK decided to start throwing 404s at me on every page(even their main page :psyduck:)

90s Overboard

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Wild animal chat: my partner used to race sled dogs. One day his lead dog got loose at home, and was shot by a cop who thought it was a coyote. :smith:

Scary Gary

both of them are Talking Heads

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Please let Wilbur get a little yippy dog that keeps him up at night, only to find that Estelle has a new boyfriend witha Mastiff

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/18/01

Brenda Starr 3/30/47

Smokey Stover 5/30/43

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

CPR class lasts like one night, Lynn, and you might be glad he has that training some day. Overscheduling is annoying, but simmer down.

goatface posted:

What better test is there to prove that you're psychopathic enough to kill random strangers for school sport? Here's a toddler that looks like your girlfriend. Kill and eat it to satisfy the PTA.

So, so often in this hellworld people's children must just never come home from school or friends' houses or visits with grandma. And the parents just have to be like "welp" and never know what really happened.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm not sure if "Something's gone wrong with the cult!" is a phrase that hasn't aged well, or has aged too well.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

I've been away for a few days so this is a bit behind the thread, but I have never been so laser targeted by a pun.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

CPR class lasts like one night, Lynn, and you might be glad he has that training some day.
For example, imagine he witnesses a car accident.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Phone posting but pretend I lazily mspainted Wilbur's head onto Nancy for all the panels

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dustin

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Chako reminds me a little of the webcomic minus.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

*deep breath*
FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

in awe at this

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

RoboRodent posted:

E: also, jesus everyone in new Nancy is an unrepentant rear end in a top hat. The joke is always "this person is an rear end in a top hat." which is fine on its own, I am pro making fun of assholes for being assholes, but it's basically the only joke the strip tells.

99% of strips in Nancy are just tedious and full of hate. There's very few strips where they're actually being kids and having fun, everyone is just a complete rear end in a top hat to each other. It's really become one of my least favorite strips, it's incredible how bad it's become when it started out really great.

Still better than Gilchrist's poo poo though.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

99% of strips in Nancy are just tedious and full of hate. There's very few strips where they're actually being kids and having fun, everyone is just a complete rear end in a top hat to each other. It's really become one of my least favorite strips, it's incredible how bad it's become when it started out really great.

Still better than Gilchrist's poo poo though.
I actually really like it so I think it depends entirely on if you enjoy that brand of dry, self-deprecating humor. Like, 'everyone is kind of an rear end in a top hat and nobody seems to be having much fun' is a completely legitimate complaint but I don't read it as full of hate, bc when I think of that I think of something like Dustin.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (September 22, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean workshops his open mike material at AA again.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Life (With The Gnawing Dread That We've Gone Three Weeks Without Sunday Skippy) (September 17, 1925)

So instead: Here's T.S. Sullivant:

Frank Hanley:

Gluyas Williams:

And something I've neglected lately: the majesty of a Fred G. Cooper page with a wide-open throttle.:

(If you're not using a tablet, here's a pre-flipped version so you can read the thing by tabbing back and forth.)

Okay, I peeked. Skippy comes back in next week's issue.

Anyway, continuing on with Fancy-Schmancy Ice Droplets and Her Plus-Seven. (January 23 and 30, 1938)

(e: for pushing the wrong size on that first Snow White)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 20, 2021

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Is there ever a point in Kevin & Kell where any of the main characters just up and say "You know, maybe we shouldn't be killing and eating other sentient beings"?

It seems like Holbrook just came up with a "What if a rabbit married a wolf?" sitcom and built a world around the premise without ever thinking about how it came across, and he now jumps through countless unconvincing narrative hoops to avoid dealing with it.

Compare this to, say, Zootopia or Beastars, both of which start with the idea that you couldn't really have a civilization where predators devoured prey, because that wouldn't be any sort of civilization at all.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Nancy's not strictly bad and certainly not hateful but it's 100% a cynical KIDS BUT ADULTS late Peanuts style snooze-fest most of the time. It's such a breath of fresh air to get a strip where Poochy or Nancy actually do anything cute and funny. I'd also say Nancy has given up almost entirely on using Sluggo as a character(OK, there was the feud with the apathetic librarian, that was great) and the difference is very jarring compared to the older strips posted at the same time. We don't need a flood of IS POOR jokes but Sluggo is a pretty funny smartalec in the old strips, the strips with him and the banker as a boss were great. Overall it really doesn't live up to its first few months of potential and a lot of strips have recurring jokes where several just change the joke loop every 2 weeks or so but Nancy is beating the pedantic wordplay into the ground 90% of the time.

Speaking of which so far so good on Mark Trail's 3rd storyline not screwing anything up yet.

Jucika "268 - Jucika In The Bistro"

"269 - Jucika's Fashion Show"

"strandruha=beachwear
fürdéshez=for bathing
fürdés után=after bathing"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slammy posted:

1. The art on this is absolutely beautiful.

I actually really don't like the art in new Valiant.

It's technically better and obviously a lot more work than most itt but compared to the OG Val it just looks bad to me

I don't care for the color palette either

I'm glued to the old stuff but just scroll past the new at this point.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

The Bloop posted:

I actually really don't like the art in new Valiant.

It's technically better and obviously a lot more work than most itt but compared to the OG Val it just looks bad to me

I don't care for the color palette either

I'm glued to the old stuff but just scroll past the new at this point.
I think less flat coloring would do a lot but lmao at that ever getting done.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

All Nu Nancy needs is a little more Jesus.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kid Fenris posted:

Is there ever a point in Kevin & Kell where any of the main characters just up and say "You know, maybe we shouldn't be killing and eating other sentient beings"?

It seems like Holbrook just came up with a "What if a rabbit married a wolf?" sitcom and built a world around the premise without ever thinking about how it came across, and he now jumps through countless unconvincing narrative hoops to avoid dealing with it.

Compare this to, say, Zootopia or Beastars, both of which start with the idea that you couldn't really have a civilization where predators devoured prey, because that wouldn't be any sort of civilization at all.

The only person who had doubts about killing and eating other sentient beings and didn't transition to an herbivore species is largely used as the butt of jokes of how lovely of a predator he is.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I should clarify that when I meant that current Nancy is full of hate, I don't mean it in the same way that Dustin is full of hate where the artist is clearly saying "loving LAZY MILLENNIALS." I mean that every character in Nancy hates each other. I don't think there's been a single strip in current Nancy where two characters were interacting in a pleasant way or enjoyed each other's company. It's always them angry/annoyed at each other, or one of them pretending to like the other one and then secretly in their head going "Ha I sure showed that person that I actually secretly despise" or just "I sure am better than that other person." Like friendship (to the extent it exists) is just a contest with the other person of who's smarter or has more valuable insights on life.

Even Dustin has a friend he hangs out with and has conversations with and enjoys his company. Nobody in current Nancy likes anyone else. That's why I think it's full of hate.

e: Also I should state that Olivia Jaimes is capable of doing really good strips! There's a lot of fantastic Sunday strips that have good visual gags, and practically every strip with Poochy is great. There's also a lot of really great stuff like the old "Nancy is a vampire" or "MY OPINIONS ARE GOOD" so I'm not saying Jaimes has no talent or anything, it's just weird that she's doing the well, "kids as adults" thing that a previous poster mentioned so much.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 20, 2021

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

LOL at Dustin slowly inching it's way into being just another conservative opinion comic. Now taking bets on when labels start appearing.

Also, shut the gently caress up Kelley.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

I should clarify that when I meant that current Nancy is full of hate, I don't mean it in the same way that Dustin is full of hate where the artist is clearly saying "loving LAZY MILLENNIALS." I mean that every character in Nancy hates each other. I don't think there's been a single strip in current Nancy where two characters were interacting in a pleasant way or enjoyed each other's company. It's always them angry/annoyed at each other, or one of them pretending to like the other one and then secretly in their head going "Ha I sure showed that person that I actually secretly despise" or just "I sure am better than that other person." Like friendship (to the extent it exists) is just a contest with the other person of who's smarter or has more valuable insights on life.

Even Dustin has a friend he hangs out with and has conversations with and enjoys his company. Nobody in current Nancy likes anyone else. That's why I think it's full of hate.

e: Also I should state that Olivia Jaimes is capable of doing really good strips! There's a lot of fantastic Sunday strips that have good visual gags, and practically every strip with Poochy is great. There's also a lot of really great stuff like the old "Nancy is a vampire" or "MY OPINIONS ARE GOOD" so I'm not saying Jaimes has no talent or anything, it's just weird that she's doing the well, "kids as adults" thing that a previous poster mentioned so much.
I remember the stuff with the kids hanging out drawing their original characters do not steal being pretty cute.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

readingatwork posted:

LOL at Dustin slowly inching it's way into being just another conservative opinion comic. Now taking bets on when labels start appearing.

I mean he had a 'subtle' VOTE 45 message in the election day one, so it's already well on the way.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kid Fenris posted:

Funny you should ask that!

Classic Kevin & Kell in: :stare: (August 25-31, 2003)

Just some casual vore, dropped into a comic strip. You know, as you do.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Kelley is literally a conservative political cartoonist. Dustin is his side gig.