Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

The fact that you can cross off evidence is great. Zero ghost orbs in the place? Excellent, there goes a huge loving chunk of assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Yeah, being able to remove evidence and immediately see only possible types remaining is great. The only thing that I like less is how it shows stars for the photos, I thought 3-star photos were only 2-stars at first.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah, I had that issue as well, stars could be a little less muddled. Also, I want the UV glowsticks in the various fun new colors! Randomize them or whatever, I'm down. Or they can be a cross between glowsticks and candles, putting out light in an area for a limited amount of time that ghosts can't gently caress with

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Journal update is ridiculously good.

Now I just wish there'd be a confetti explosion every time a ghost kills someone. Just for the anniversary at least.

And maybe forever...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Do the ghosts wear party hats? This is important.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Do the ghosts wear party hats? This is important.

The party hats were AMAZING, we were cackling about them for the entire round. Bring on TF2 hat shenanigans

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Wait holy poo poo do they actually have party hats?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Wait holy poo poo do they actually have party hats?

The players do, not sure if the ghosts do.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mercenarynuker posted:

The party hats were AMAZING, we were cackling about them for the entire round. Bring on TF2 hat shenanigans

Are those latin rhythms? I love latin rhythms.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Halloween update getting ready to drop very soon today, and it's looking very promising! I believe I am prepared (at least thematically level 666)...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

oh wow, that's an extremely meaty patch

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Super stoked about a lot of those changes. Hunts are already much more dangerous since the last big update, and we would toggle global chat to check if the static was still going to see if a hunt was still in progress. Now that's no longer viable lol, radio use attracts the ghost AND the static only happens within a certain radius.

I wonder what the "fewer hiding places" bits mean for the higher difficulties. Are the current (I guess previous) layouts & locker placements considered the Amateur baseline (with spots taken away at higher difficulties), or the Professional baseline (with spots added for lower difficulties)?

I wonder what difference changing the collision hitbox to match crouching will do. Will we finally be able to hide under tables and stuff?

Super stoked to check out the campsite, I'll probably wander around it in amateur at first just to sightsee.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I'm most curious to see the campground in some of the new weather conditions, imagine it during heavy rain or light snow. A little disappointed my suggestion for Nightmare didn't make it in, but it probably would've been too much with the other conditions.

The only change right offhand I'm not thrilled about won't even affect me since I'll be on Pro or maybe Nightmare. I don't think the fingerprints should disappear after 60 seconds on Amateur.

And the patch just dropped, let's gooooooooo!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"All contracts are now selectable at all times on the map screen"

loving finally! I understand that they were trying to make the game a little more random, but given that all you had to do was restart the server to roll a new set of maps, it just made it annoying when you wanted to play a particular one.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ngl now that all ghost appearances will mess with electronics I'm kind of lost as to how you know when a hunt is happening, I already feel like we die way more than we used to.

Which isn't bad, I like that the game feels threatening again, but we've had maybe half a dozen deaths where it felt like we had no way of knowing a hunt was even happening until the ghost was right on top of us

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The most consistent tell I've found is to turn on lights in and around the ghost room. If the ghost is starting to hunt anywhere near those rooms, the lights will start flickering for the entire room or hallway. If you don't have the ghost room pinned down yet, do big rooms or hallways or other thoroughfares where the ghost would have to travel, and always have your escape route in mind.

Aside from that, I find leaving a spare EMF reader (or both, if you don't need the EMF reading anymore) in strategic locations can give you an audio cue for a hunt. Same with an extra DOTS projector, but visual. Also spare flashlights can be a good visual indicator, just leave them on the ground pointing in a useful direction so you can see if the beam is flickering.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Snow can actually kind of gently caress with ghost orb hunting on the new map. Also, freezing temps! It was freezing outside, the only indicator we had we were in the Ghost Zone was due to breath, which was a subtle cue

Edit: also, the contracts no longer move, so canonically, the new camp is in west Texas. So obviously my group was there last March

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 26, 2021

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
This has been an excellent update. The campsite map is pretty nuts. Not sure how to hide in the tents since they all have windows.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I am extremely hyped for finally dying regularly to Nightmare. Especially love having to suss out the ghost type too based on how it acts, and the new weather is gonna be real cool. I have some very mild concerns about the ghost event changes, but at least they finally reduced the hunt timers on small maps. Unironically the most dangerous maps just because pretty quickly hunting ghosts would just start checking every nook and you don't have any good places to juke.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The most consistent tell I've found is to turn on lights in and around the ghost room. If the ghost is starting to hunt anywhere near those rooms, the lights will start flickering for the entire room or hallway. If you don't have the ghost room pinned down yet, do big rooms or hallways or other thoroughfares where the ghost would have to travel, and always have your escape route in mind.

Aside from that, I find leaving a spare EMF reader (or both, if you don't need the EMF reading anymore) in strategic locations can give you an audio cue for a hunt. Same with an extra DOTS projector, but visual. Also spare flashlights can be a good visual indicator, just leave them on the ground pointing in a useful direction so you can see if the beam is flickering.

While I think the light trick is probably going to be the best bet for noticing with the new patch, the point now is that any time the ghost manifests is going to cause the electronic interference that only hunts did before.

Extremely terrifying.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Guessing via behavior is a bit weird for certain ghosts like Yokai (I think?)

It's strength messes with your sanity, but your sanity readout monitor is busted in Nightmare mode. It's still doable but kinda annoying.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Revitalized posted:

Guessing via behavior is a bit weird for certain ghosts like Yokai (I think?)

It's strength messes with your sanity, but your sanity readout monitor is busted in Nightmare mode. It's still doable but kinda annoying.

Yokai is actually really easy because it's right up there with Demon for hunting real quick, just because it gets really aggressive when you talk around it.

I've seriously seen Yokai straight up hunt at 85%~ sanity if you talk around it at all.

There's always gonna be some ghosts that'll be very conflatable, but overall it's cool and an interesting way to add more difficulty.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

New campground: good
New ghosts, weather, and haunted interactions: also good
The Halloween-themed homebase is next-level poo poo. Grab a black light off the table in front of you and look around if you haven't.

And make sure to look up :getin:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

The door to the next room opens too, make sure to check that out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There are some fun little Easter eggs in the campsite map too. Go wander around near the cabin and the lake for a while, and make sure you look all over the warehouse before you get there :getin:

I have yet to identify a single ghost in the campsite. Playing outdoors is definitely harder and the new hunt mechanics make it way harder to figure out when you're being hunted and when it's just appearing (and thus it is much scarier and better). One time I found a Ouija board in the camp bathroom, used it and nuked my sanity, and was immediately hunted and killed in the same shower stall. A+

The only thing I'm not sure about is having the ghost fingerprints fade away after 60 seconds. I think that's fine for professional, but on intermediate it should at least be a couple of minutes to give you a chance to figure out where the ghost was moving things and get a UV light, and on amateur they should be permanent.

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

There are some fun little Easter eggs in the campsite map too. Go wander around near the cabin and the lake for a while, and make sure you look all over the warehouse before you get there :getin:

I have yet to identify a single ghost in the campsite. Playing outdoors is definitely harder and the new hunt mechanics make it way harder to figure out when you're being hunted and when it's just appearing (and thus it is much scarier and better). One time I found a Ouija board in the camp bathroom, used it and nuked my sanity, and was immediately hunted and killed in the same shower stall. A+

The only thing I'm not sure about is having the ghost fingerprints fade away after 60 seconds. I think that's fine for professional, but on intermediate it should at least be a couple of minutes to give you a chance to figure out where the ghost was moving things and get a UV light, and on amateur they should be permanent.

100% agree with the fingerprints. I dunno, I find the game mechanics have become increasingly obscured with the past few updates. It feels like evidence has become harder and harder to obtain, when it is already a little janky. Temperatures don't always register properly, fingerprints don't always appear, EMF levels don't read properly. Maybe I've just been bad at the game and not pointed the EMF reader directly at the ghost as it comes at me during a hunt. But last night we were playing the campground and I was right next to the ghost as it spawned, holding the thermometer. Temperatures were not freezing, even though it was listed as one of the evidence types. Again, maybe I'm just bad at the game, but it feels like evidence just never presents itself.

To me, the game has stopped being scary or fun, because the solutions to the problems are becoming increasingly blurred. Hell, fingerprints disappear now when they didn't always appear 100% of the time anyways. It feels like the ghost does nothing until it starts hunting you as of late.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did voodoo dolls ever get a use besides a free Interaction photo?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
are these sneak previews of upcoming equipment? Looks like a more powerful UV flashlight, some kinda big-rear end journals, matches?, regular notebooks, and some kinda electronic dealy in the back

e: those big rear end books say Grimoire, maybe a hint that they're planning to introduce a lot more ghosts

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 31, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really love the new hunt changes, and honestly everything about this update in general.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm not totally solid on not being able to tell at all if a hunt has started or if it's just a ghost event involving a manifestation with the electronic device disruption changes. I'd have been totally okay if it was a Nightmare mode only thing, to go with the other big uncertainties that difficulty uses to make the game harder. But for all the difficulties? Eh... I'm hoping the devs don't fall into the trap of listening to the vocal grognards that the game is too easy.

Def been having a blast with the update though, and the new campsite is very spooky.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

I'm not totally solid on not being able to tell at all if a hunt has started or if it's just a ghost event involving a manifestation with the electronic device disruption changes. I'd have been totally okay if it was a Nightmare mode only thing, to go with the other big uncertainties that difficulty uses to make the game harder. But for all the difficulties? Eh... I'm hoping the devs don't fall into the trap of listening to the vocal grognards that the game is too easy.

Def been having a blast with the update though, and the new campsite is very spooky.

I like the uncertainness of it. Being spooked/wary of a ghost manifesting instead of just not caring/walking towards it to dispel it early was super lame. Treating everytime a ghost decides to show itself as a life or death situation is way more fitting imo.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like the uncertainness of it. Being spooked/wary of a ghost manifesting instead of just not caring/walking towards it to dispel it early was super lame. Treating everytime a ghost decides to show itself as a life or death situation is way more fitting imo.

Thematically and for atmosphere? Absolutely, I get it. From a (personal opinion) game readability and flow standpoint it feels a bit bad though. I appreciated having a brief tense moment before the relief of it just being a ghost event, and the immediate "oh poo poo" moments of when a hunt starts. It also helped with not constantly being extremely stressed and let me enjoy the atmosphere more. Now you always have to be on edge that the ghost might be hunting, and that can quickly cause burn out on the atmosphere.

I have mixed feelings and I may come around to it a little bit more eventually, but for now I just feel real eh about it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

Thematically and for atmosphere? Absolutely, I get it. From a (personal opinion) game readability and flow standpoint it feels a bit bad though. I appreciated having a brief tense moment before the relief of it just being a ghost event, and the immediate "oh poo poo" moments of when a hunt starts. It also helped with not constantly being extremely stressed and let me enjoy the atmosphere more. Now you always have to be on edge that the ghost might be hunting, and that can quickly cause burn out on the atmosphere.

I have mixed feelings and I may come around to it a little bit more eventually, but for now I just feel real eh about it.

Ah, yeah that's understandable. Maybe they can make amateur difficulty work like the old kind to help ease people in or let you do a more chill round when you want, I feel like that might be a good compromise. I do agree that the game should not try to appease streamers exclusively and I hope Nightmare difficulty is proof they won't do that, since no normal person ever has to touch that lol.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ah, yeah that's understandable. Maybe they can make amateur difficulty work like the old kind to help ease people in or let you do a more chill round when you want, I feel like that might be a good compromise. I do agree that the game should not try to appease streamers exclusively and I hope Nightmare difficulty is proof they won't do that, since no normal person ever has to touch that lol.

I've actually enjoyed Nightmare the handful of times I played with the usual goon group! It's cool having to guess the ghost type via context clues, and not being able to tell activity levels or sanity adds some interesting uncertainty. Overall I still really like the patch, there's a lot of fun new stuff.

edit: my fave moment from a Nightmare round. Saving your friends saves yourself!

https://streamable.com/xcx6ee

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

I've actually enjoyed Nightmare the handful of times I played with the usual goon group! It's cool having to guess the ghost type via context clues, and not being able to tell activity levels or sanity adds some interesting uncertainty. Overall I still really like the patch, there's a lot of fun new stuff.

edit: my fave moment from a Nightmare round. Saving your friends saves yourself!

https://streamable.com/xcx6ee

That is a powerful smudge stick play.

Good to know though. I'll admit I just have heard about Nightmare and didn't play it myself so it just seemed too insane but I might get my group to give it a try.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That is a powerful smudge stick play.

Good to know though. I'll admit I just have heard about Nightmare and didn't play it myself so it just seemed too insane but I might get my group to give it a try.

If your group is comfortable on Professional, you'll be fine on Nightmare. We haven't really encountered the ghost room swapping yet, but everything else that's a part of the difficulty is mostly stuff you internalize playing the game.

Just don't run together during a hunt, I've heard stories about the multi kills.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I kinda wish they would just open the game up to modding. It feels like a lot of these little issues, like handprints disappearing too quickly, are things that modders could easily address. I guess it would be difficult to handle mods with online public play, but if it's just you and a bunch of friends, the ability to tweak the gameplay to just how you want it would be awesome.

Example: I played it with some friends recently at a halloween party (the game being 11 dollars is a big plus here) and overall it was a blast. Everyone except me was new to it, so we got some really excellent scares and I think everyone enjoyed it. The problem was that with everyone being new, and some people having never really played a first person video game before, the ghost was way too effective even on amateur. It took 10 or 15 minutes for people just to explore the house, and when the ghost started hunting someone, they would die immediately because newbies can't react to that quickly enough or find the hiding spots.

This is fine if you want to plug away at it as a challenge, but in my case I was going for "let's share this experience." The games would have lasted longer and gotten everyone's spines even more chilled if I could increase the number of harmless ghost events, decrease its chance to hunt, greatly slow down its walking speed when it is hunting, and shorten its sight range. Yeah yeah that would make it too easy for the level 5,000 streamers but they shouldn't be the target market. I am reminded of a comment I think I read here, pointing out that video games are the only form of "art" that prevents you from experiencing some of it until you're good enough at appreciating it. Phasmophobia is a really effective immersive experience, and I actually think that adding these extra challenge levels (which also make it harder for new players to get into it) is overlooking what makes it great.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 1, 2021

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, my buddy just got this and while we have been having fun, he's dying almost every round and im a bit worried he'll get burned out too quickly as a result

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-echf3MbzI

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Not loving the update. I noticed the devs playing with streamers like Insym a lot and he’s done a ton of good for the game by breaking it over his knee repeatedly (and appears to be really nice for a streamer) but it seems like they balance the game around him, a level 6000, not your average dumbfuck like me.

Not super interested in following a ghost all over the map and then having it spawn on my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've played a couple of times since some of the more substantial updates came out and was having a hard time on Professional, and sometimes even Intermediate, partially because I was playing with folks new to the game. We all kept dying to the first and second hunts and often only collecting a single piece of evidence and I wasn't have as a good of a time as I used to.

With the difficulty changes, new-ish equipment, and new ghosts, I've dropped it back down to Amateur and I'm having a much better time. My only gripe is that sometimes it takes a looooong time for the ghost to do anything on Amateur, which is somewhat mitigated by the hunts being more ambiguous now. So starting "fresh" is reinvigorating me.

Still hate the DOTS projector since I'm still not clear on how it works.