Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AoE4 isn't really what I wanted from the franchise(yay AOE2 but now it's 3D, so i'll be playing the same RTS I've been playing for god damned years now but now it's 3D) but I'll take it just because the genre really is slim pickings these days.

Personally waiting for a proper Age of Mythology HD or, even more exciting of a prospect, AOM2 which seems inevitable with this mythology kick the industry seems to be on these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

AoE4 isn't really what I wanted from the franchise(yay AOE2 but now it's 3D, so i'll be playing the same RTS I've been playing for god damned years now but now it's 3D) but I'll take it just because the genre really is slim pickings these days.

Personally waiting for a proper Age of Mythology HD or, even more exciting of a prospect, AOM2 which seems inevitable with this mythology kick the industry seems to be on these days.

Before I played it/gameplay footage came out, I had wondered if it would be a more "Relic-game" take on AOE but no, it's closest to AOE2 but with more asymmetry to the factions.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Deakul posted:

I thought there WAS a proper Age of Mythology HD on Steam? Is it not that good?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

chaosapiant posted:

Consensus was that it was not, and the added Chinese Civ was glitchy as all hell

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Was the problem just that China is bad, or is it otherwise fine but underwhelming as remasters go?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
China is pretty meh and janky looking but as far as just playing the game it's still the same old fun. Just ignore China and it's at least 30x better than WC3:Remaster!

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
What's up with the wc3 remaster?
I'm admittedly totally out of the loop on it as I generally don't favor remasters unless they're some pretty radical updates like the aoe definitive editions

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 17, 2021

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Deakul posted:

The issue is those who are heard are "AOE2 is PERFECT, DO MORE AOE2."

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

mortons stork posted:

What's up with the wc3 remaster?
I'm admittedly totally out of the loop on it as I generally don't favor remasters unless they're some pretty radical updates like the aoe definitive editions

It is bar none the worst remake of a game imaginable, they took away the ability to play the original version of the game, broke piles of it and removed pretty much all of the features online. It took my favorite RTS and just utterly destroyed it in a soulless spiteful move that destroyed the former game entirely.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I still dream for an AoE that goes from the industrial Revolution to the First World War. Seems like it’d be almost thematically appropriate.

also I’m the worst fan because I’d also want more of the black family fighting the Circle of Ossus, sorry guys

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

TGG posted:

It is bar none the worst remake of a game imaginable, they took away the ability to play the original version of the game, broke piles of it and removed pretty much all of the features online. It took my favorite RTS and just utterly destroyed it in a soulless spiteful move that destroyed the former game entirely.

That sucks majorly, like a failure on all possible levels

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
That does suck. I thought it was a given that remasters should also include an “original version” that’s nothing but upgraded visuals. It’s not a a remaster of anything if the gameplay ends up being totally different.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
The best RTS is always the one that hasn't come out yet and the worst RTS is always the one that has

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

TGG posted:

:smug: But do you _really_ want chat channels?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Freedom Trails posted:

That does suck. I thought it was a given that remasters should also include an “original version” that’s nothing but upgraded visuals. It’s not a a remaster of anything if the gameplay ends up being totally different.

But it isn't remaster, if is "reforged" :smuggo: , therefore it can be whatever reforging may brick the original

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
No lie, I really like the AoE4 units (especially military) shouting at full volume in response to being told to do anything.

Game plays well. Definitely a more streamlined AoE experience. Light scouts are built from town centers now and can capture sheep and deliver them to a friendly building (you can shift click this whole process, which is great). Early upgrade that increases villager move speed and carry capacity. Victory conditions are: build a wonder,(defend 10 minutes) capture sacred sites,(points on map; defend 10 minutes) destroy enemy tier buildings. Sadly no assassination game mode but there was a sandbox mode.

I like how they handled tech tiers with having to choose between 2 unique buildings. There's also some stuff that seems lifted from RoN like trade caravans and how buildings around the TC create roads (kinda) and other props to give your town a more cohesive look.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

remaster Act of War, cowards

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Dandywalken posted:

remaster Act of WarSacrifice, cowards

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dandywalken posted:

remaster Act of War, cowards

I mean, the same team made a spiritual successor that didn't sell well, so...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

AoA was trash yeah. AoW tho is def underappreciated imo..

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mordja posted:

I mean, the same team made a spiritual successor that didn't sell well, so...
You know, I love AoA as a random skirmish game I boot up every so often but ironically despite being a supposed spiritual successor to AoW it actually felt more like a spiritual successor to Generals in many ways. Like one of the big things about AoW was that it tried to lean into a more serious tone and "realistic" style of gameplay, with stuff like how the infantry mechanics worked and the way vehicles would become combat-ineffective after taking a certain percentage of damage. Just overall stuff that would make a lot of sense logically from a realistic standpoint.

AoA on the other hand, kinda felt like, the opposite of that? I have a hard time putting it into words but despite a lot of the AoW mechanics still being in there it felt like that AoA, which billed itself as a throwback RTS, was trying to ape the games that AoW tried to distance itself from.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I vaguely remember that AoA had a lot of stealth mechanics before or during the beta that were cut for some reason, so the game felt a bit hollow. It also doesn’t have a "real" campaign iirc.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

chaosapiant posted:

Got an incredibly lazy new expansion pack that's just a bunch of units reskinned, it runs like garbage with frequent stutters being worst offender, load times are 10x as long now for some reason, and it looks like poo poo with all of the glitchy half assedly implemented post processing effects.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I just want a modern Rise of Nations with a big enough player base for it to not be 100% random games against diehards with 10,000 games played.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

I just want a modern Rise of Nations with a big enough player base for it to not be 100% random games against diehards with 10,000 games played.

That's one of those chicken and egg scenarios: only a moron would invest thousands of hours into a project that nobody will play, but nobody will support such a project unless it already has a bunch of people excited for it. Nobody wants to be first, nobody wants to be last, and nobody will give a poo poo unless it's good enough.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Love Stole the Day posted:

That's one of those chicken and egg scenarios: only a moron would invest thousands of hours into a project that nobody will play, but nobody will support such a project unless it already has a bunch of people excited for it. Nobody wants to be first, nobody wants to be last, and nobody will give a poo poo unless it's good enough.

Yeah. So many games feel like they fell into that camp historically. Good games, probably better than some more popular games, but no one wants to play a "dead" game so everyone just kept playing the more populated game.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I want somebody to make an RTS game where multiplayer is an option, but the real focus is in making a customisable AI and skirmish mode. I have hundreds of hours in various RTS games, but only 2 hours of actually playing against people online. Warrior kings Battles (a criminally overlooked RTS btw) included an AI general editor where you could customize the AI's priorities and tactics via sliders. It didnt really work, but the idea was good, and IMHO its a crime nobody else have implemented that ever since.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Comp stomps are infinitely more enjoyable than getting pantsed by some 3000 hour veteran who has the entire tech tree memorized and also tattooed on his body and can do his build order with perfect APM in his sleep.

A big problem is that for some reason companies keep wanting to chase after Starcraft and make their game some great big esport and literally nobody is actually interested in that.

And following on from that, the genre desperately needs at least one (more?) viable entry-level game(s), which are otherwise not popular to make because entry-level games can't become esports. There's some indie titles out there that have tried, but IME they strip down and abstract things in a really unappealing way.

Fake edit: Though I'm also a grump who thinks some creative sorts need to barge in and start kicking over tables and coming up with new ideas instead of just making Command and Conquer, again, but this time it's steampunk! with zero innovations or modifications to the formula.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 20, 2021

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
There is a kickstarter project called immortal: gates of pyre, that seems to promise exactly that sort of newbie friendly game, and they also have a blurb on how they want to make it accessible but still with a high skill ceiling. It got an insane amount of funding, so the demand is there. But it's a ways away as of yet. Made by veteran SC2 modders who previously made their own SC2 mod as a take on the 'more accessible and friendly but also high-skill ceiling RTS' so who knows.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ooh, interesting. Hopefully it goes better than the fighting game equivalent, Fantasy Strike. Ugh.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

GyverMac posted:

I want somebody to make an RTS game where multiplayer is an option, but the real focus is in making a customisable AI and skirmish mode. I have hundreds of hours in various RTS games, but only 2 hours of actually playing against people online. Warrior kings Battles (a criminally overlooked RTS btw) included an AI general editor where you could customize the AI's priorities and tactics via sliders. It didnt really work, but the idea was good, and IMHO its a crime nobody else have implemented that ever since.

IDK if this is really what you're looking for, but Gladiabots is 100% about customisable AI, but it's a 4v4 tactics setting and it's your programmed AI vs different scenario AIs.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
It seems like Starship troopers Terran Commandis getting a demo next week. I'm kinda hyped for this game since i loved the movie as a kid. They seem to be very aware of its source material being the Verhoeven film so hopefully it will retain that special cheesyness. (And ridiculous gore)

Muscle Tracer posted:

IDK if this is really what you're looking for, but Gladiabots is 100% about customisable AI, but it's a 4v4 tactics setting and it's your programmed AI vs different scenario AIs.

Oh, I was thinking more along the lines of deciding the AI's playing style, like wether it favours turtling, raiding, etc. And what units it favours. But looking at gameplay of Gladiabots I see that system would be awesome to have in an RTS as well!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zki3kY4YCQ

So Actraiser got a full reimagining out of absolutely nowhere. It’s actually a pretty beefy remake, which adds heroes and a tower defense mode, available on the Switch and Steam. The first area, Filmore, has been bulked up from maybe twenty minutes to two hours.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
South Africa DLC releasing for Wargame Red Dragon tomorrow. Pretty good cold war era RTT for anyone who hasnt tried the game

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

OctaMurk posted:

South Africa DLC releasing for Wargame Red Dragon tomorrow. Pretty good cold war era RTT for anyone who hasnt tried the game

yeah this was weird to see pop up

I loved that game but I don't think I want to get back into multiplayer (if there is still a multiplayer scene?)

I wish the single player was better. The campaign thing was always pretty clunky. I guess there are no new campaigns with these nation packs anyway so single player would just mean skirmishes against AI?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
MP is still going pretty strong. 10v10 Tactical is very popular as is pubstomp lobby game where the host will immediately kick anyone new on their team while happily letting a bunch of level 1 and 2 on the opposing team. But really, as long as you can hold your own it's not too bad, most game will just stall out in the midline for 40 minutes or end in 15 minutes because how fast VP ticks in Wargame.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Yeah Wargame has maintained a fairly stable, if maybe a bit small, MP base. According to Steamstats it had an average of ~750 players playing for the last 30 days, which is pretty impressive given that the last time I checked about a year ago IIRC it was around 800ish.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Couple of RTS demos on the steamfest, one I've tried, one I haven't.

Starship Troopers Terran Command seems promising, if a little low budget and definitely not a traditional RTS. I've only played the first two missions which are definitely tutorialish but while a rudimentary form of base building is in, the only resource seems to be different types of unit and support caps. The name of the game seems to be setting up killzones for the arachnids and pushing forward between waves, since none of your units seem to be able to shoot while moving and line-of-fire is a major gameplay mechanic.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202130/Starship_Troopers__Terran_Command/

Retro Commander is even lower budget and seems something of a one-man's take on a Total Annihilation-like. Will give it a try some time.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/338820/Retro_Commander/

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
The Starship Troopers game reminds me of Infested Planet in that you have essentially unlimited resources to try and gradually snuff out a limitless foe. The game seems solid but there were no unit barks or bug noises (at least in the demo). Hopefully, that won't get overlooked for the full game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mordja posted:

Retro Commander is even lower budget and seems something of a one-man's take on a Total Annihilation-like. Will give it a try some time.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/338820/Retro_Commander/

Having played a bunch of Planetary Annihilation recently, this just makes me want to play more Planetary Annihilation.