Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

side b: thinking about how kris is the last one to leave the computer lab and how the closet in it had flavortext saying it had enough space for a person to hide in. wonder how long it'll be before berdley's body is found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not sure what triggers it, but on my file that I didn't do perfect recruitment (missed swatchlings), I got this guy:

I didn't get him on my perfect recruitment file.

The only things I can think of is either super boss, or making an attempt not to crash into cars or avoiding the banana?

I got them on my all recruited run, so it’s probably one of those 2 things you stated.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I did all recruits and got the lil' car
Its not clear what the trigger is, maybe getting ran over by toby?

It’s not that cus I didn’t find Toby :(

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SyntheticPolygon posted:

People trying to map everything in this game to stuff that happened in Undertale is so weird imo.

Toby himself muddied the waters when he did this

And honestly i believe its so you have certain expectations coming into deltarune so good ol toby can hit you where it hurts.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not sure what triggers it, but on my file that I didn't do perfect recruitment (missed swatchlings), I got this guy:

I didn't get him on my perfect recruitment file.

The only things I can think of is either super boss, or making an attempt not to crash into cars or avoiding the banana?

I got him too and recruited everybody. Got both bananas too

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

chara is still an incredibly dumb name for the fandom to have settled on. just let them be the fallen child

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

We are, all of us, Chara.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I got him too and recruited everybody. Got both bananas too

i have them and i didnt get the second banana

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

chara is still an incredibly dumb name for the fandom to have settled on. just let them be the fallen child

I agree. It kinda defeats the narrative of the genocide route where the only one to blame is you, the player.

It is easier to just type chara instead though :v

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I still find one of the more disturbing moments to be the extra bosses mercy ending.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

Easier to type than “the first fallen child” I guess but yeah, I think the whole thing in Undertale about Chara being “the true name” was just a joke on Toby’s part (Chara = Character) that the fandom took way too seriously.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

i have them and i didnt get the second banana

why not???????

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

And honestly i believe its so you have certain expectations coming into deltarune so good ol toby can hit you where it hurts.

I'm pretty sure on the recent stream Toby mentioned something about the opening sequence in the town being really important for making things feel strange coming from UT.

Like, if you come from UT, you end up with a lot of "things are weird and not quite right" and I think that's very intentional.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

repiv posted:

why not???????

i take orders from no one...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you aren't naming the fallen child after yourself, are you even playing Undertale

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

repiv posted:

why not???????

imagine not getting the bananas

imagine wasting away from potassium deficiency

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure on the recent stream Toby mentioned something about the opening sequence in the town being really important for making things feel strange coming from UT.

Like, if you come from UT, you end up with a lot of "things are weird and not quite right" and I think that's very intentional.

Honestly, the opening town sequence didn't feel off. In part because I didn't even notice Undyne had both eyes. If anything, hearing the nostalgic music and seeing all the cast again made me feel really warm, instead.

Now, the part after? The game basically goading you into having Undyne go "who's Alphys?" and that makes the weird feeling sink in immediately.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So uh, guys? Wanna try something fun?

Side B: If you have a save file from before Noelle's event in the hospital in light world after finishing Side B/Snowgrave, go do the event, and then when you walk out and Susie talks with Noelle's dad and Noelle starts thinking to herself:

Press right.

:stonk:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Larryb posted:

Easier to type than “the first fallen child” I guess but yeah, I think the whole thing in Undertale about Chara being “the true name” was just a joke on Toby’s part (Chara = Character) that the fandom took way too seriously.

If you look into Undertale's code it refers to Frisk as mainchara and the fallen child as truechara so yeah it's a programming joke that got out of hand

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean obviously the game benefits from having played Undertale. It starts with Toriel taking Kris to school.

But you've got people even in this thread saying stuff like "How do the 6 other human souls play into this?", "I wonder if Kris was experimented on like the Amalgamates" and "Asgore must be trying to make Flowey!" and it sounds actually insane.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Side B: If you have a save file from before Noelle's event in the hospital in light world after finishing Side B/Snowgrave, go do the event, and then when you walk out and Susie talks with Noelle's dad and Noelle starts thinking to herself:

Press right.

The part about the voice being different and the screen going black makes me think that the player is taking full unambiguous control of Kris without any room for them to reinterpret your orders

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Brandfarlig posted:

I thought the same thing. We don't know for how long Kris has had that soul. Could've been theirs from the start or perhaps they found it through some misadventure. There's some very ominous red doors south of town...

Soul/body Kris aren't necessarily that antagonistic since it seems that Kris can get rid of the soul more or less at will.

Body-Kris is unable to properly control Kris' body, resulting in an unnatural gait and clumsy movements (note how they just kinda flop out of the bathroom window rather than attempting any kind of controlled fall). This tells me Body-Kris is the foreign entity, not the SOUL (Body-Kris moves like a zombie even before ripping the SOUL out). Perhaps this universe's version of the fallen child was the one who underwent Determination experiments, behind the locked doors, but rather than being put inside a flower, they wound up inside Kris. And it might be that without Kris' SOUL, their body can't survive very long, so the fallen child has no choice but to keep putting the SOUL back. Additionally, this would mean the fallen child never had a chance to reach whatever apotheosis resulted in it becoming what's referred to as "Chara", that entity that is synonymous with the player, and more precisely their desire to kill everyone just to see what happens. In Deltarune, perhaps the only demon is the player, if that's what they choose to be.

Let's not forget, if everyone else from Undertale has an equivalent in the Deltarune universe/timeline, that likely includes Gaster. Given what little we know of Gaster's story, he was likely shattered across time and dimensions in every universe, and is thus absent from all of them, yet the effects of his actions remain, which probably involved mad science.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 20, 2021

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

Press right.

I foolishly saved afterwards, details?!? :negative:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

zetamind2000 posted:

If you look into Undertale's code it refers to Frisk as mainchara and the fallen child as truechara so yeah it's a programming joke that got out of hand

But you also get something like "the true name" if you actually pick Chara as the name....which I guess you could still say is part of the programming joke, but it's not really that much different as the community just going with one name for ease of communication, the same way "Genocide" is the route in which you kill all enemies.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

But you also get something like "the true name" if you actually pick Chara as the name....which I guess you could still say is part of the programming joke, but it's not really that much different as the community just going with one name for ease of communication, the same way "Genocide" is the route in which you kill all enemies.

Chara is also the name assigned in pre-release screenshots/promo materials.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So uh, I noticed a difference in side B: the closet says it can fit a large person. Normally, it says medium-sized person.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I mean, if one wants to go full pedant, the "genocide" route's official name is "no mercy", but everyone's just sort of agreed to the term "genocide". So, while it's important for speculators to remember that "Chara's" true name is whatever the player chooses as their own name, and that they can be more generally referred to as "the fallen child", "Chara" works as an informal shorthand. But some people could definitely use a reminder that it's not their name.

McFrugal posted:

So uh, I noticed a difference in side B: the closet says it can fit a large person. Normally, it says medium-sized person.

I just played the chapter a second time and got the same altered description despite going for the Side A route. I think it just happens when you do a second playthrough. I wonder if you can keep going, continuing to expand the closet.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

I just played the chapter a second time and got the same altered description despite going for the Side A route. I think it just happens when you do a second playthrough. I wonder if you can keep going, continuing to expand the closet.
Is it maybe different depending if you beat the secret boss? Or maybe there's some FUN value stuff at play? I saw people mention the spelling of December was different for them on the city-walk segment, but I'm assuming they might be talking nonsense.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Pressing right interrupts her dialogue and you hear a footstep. Noelle is startled and it skips to when she notices Kris is there. You can press right again and you hear another footstep and then Noelle yells for Kris not to get any closer. Press right a third and fourth time for more footsteps and then Susie interrupts as in the normal cutscene and it goes from there.

It's kinda slightly extremely messed up. :shittypop:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Pressing right interrupts her dialogue and you hear a footstep. Noelle is startled and it skips to when she notices Kris is there. You can press right again and you hear another footstep and then Noelle yells for Kris not to get any closer. Press right a third and fourth time for more footsteps and then Susie interrupts as in the normal cutscene and it goes from there.

Line Sticker foreshadowing.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Is it maybe different depending if you beat the secret boss? Or maybe there's some FUN value stuff at play? I saw people mention the spelling of December was different for them on the city-walk segment, but I'm assuming they might be talking nonsense.

It's not related to the secret boss, I beat the secret boss both times. The new thing I did was collecting the egg/getting run over by Toby.. I could see that possibly expanding the closet, since you discovered a new room in the area.

TakenForGranite
Jan 13, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy19H-hVbIE Well, found out who Mike is

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean obviously the game benefits from having played Undertale. It starts with Toriel taking Kris to school.

But you've got people even in this thread saying stuff like "How do the 6 other human souls play into this?", "I wonder if Kris was experimented on like the Amalgamates" and "Asgore must be trying to make Flowey!" and it sounds actually insane.

We've seen 2 colors of souls and they were very important last time we saw them. I was just wondering when they enter this story because they're very likely to come up. Human souls are still very weird in Deltarune. Of course this could be entirely wrong and we just explore what's up with Kris soul but that's hard to guess with 5 chapters to go

The other two theories are more questionable (asgore flowey :lmao:) though.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 20, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Minor but interesting, chapter 2 has a different game over theme then chapter 1. (ch2. "Faint Courage," ch1. "Darkness Falls" )

Listening to them again, Darkness Falls goes into the motif/theme that Faint Courage starts on. Neat.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 20, 2021

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Press right.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Yeah it's a hell of a thing because it's literally something that only the player can make happen, the cutscene happens by itself otherwise. I was loving right about the black screen being the player's full control over Kris

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Turns out there's a little trick in the Snowgrave final boss that can make it easier. You can press F1 to get a full heal like in the normal Spamton fight. But it only works once.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Press right.

I tried it and uh yeah. :stare: What the hell? That's so messed up.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

What gets me about it though is that this caps off what's been happening during the adventure and really puts you on the other end of the Undertale genocide run where Frisk walks without your input before fighting Sans

There's no Chara here, it's only you

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
B side: I find it amusing how much more blatant the game outright says that it's you doing these actions this time. Not Chara. Not Kris. You. I kind of get the feeling Toby did not appreciate people trying to deflect the actions of UT Genocide to "Chara." :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Araxxor posted:

B side: I find it amusing how much more blatant the game outright says that it's you doing these actions this time. Not Chara. Not Kris. You. I kind of get the feeling Toby did not appreciate people trying to deflect the actions of UT Genocide to "Chara." :v:

i can't believe chara would do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer