Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

ozebane
Nov 4, 2009
It sounds very “we want to make this franchise a third pillar to Marvel and Star Wars”. Weird choice. If you’re gonna excise the David stuff, just give an up-and-coming indie horror director 20 million and tell them to make a scary movie. Keep it simple. Distress signal. Tight quarters. An Alien. This poo poo isn’t difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That hashtag show:

quote:

Award winning comedian Scott Gibson and International DJ Mallorca Lee talk about stuff and have a laugh. WARNING: Not for snowflakes.
Picking up on a lot of snowflake energy itt!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

I've never heard of "The Hashtag Show" but this sounds dumb enough to be true. Hopefully not.

Having got their hands on the Alien franchise thanks to the Fox merger, Disney is wasting no time in relaunching the legendary sci-fi universe once again. The last movie in the series was 2017’s underwhelming Alien: Covenant, though, and it seems the studio is keen to distance themselves from that. In fact, according to the latest intel, Disney has gone so far as to reject creator Ridley Scott’s script for a reboot and is moving forward with a fresh one.

According to That Hashtag Show, who usually provide reliable info, the studio has hired unknown writers to come up with a different screenplay after they found Scott’s too “convoluted,” As such, the reboot will do away with Sigourney Weaver’s Ellen Ripley and any threads from the more recent Alien films. Instead, the new lead will be Fiona, described as a “Mary Elizabeth Winstead type,” the science officer on board a ship of colonists searching for a new homeworld.

Now, THS’ plot breakdown goes a lot deeper than that (spoilers incoming) and says that at least a couple of alien eggs will hatch on the ship and cause carnage. The twist is that Fiona is able to capture one of the Facehuggers and incubate it, growing it to adulthood in a tank. This results in a “good” Xenomorph, one that’s loyal to Fiona and the humans.]

The big showdown of the movie will allegedly pit the good Xenomorph against a bad one, thereby delivering some unique alien vs. alien action. The good one will sacrifice itself to take out the bad one and keep the crew safe, but the film will end with another egg revealed to be attached to the ship, leaving the audience to ponder whether this will be a good or bad alien.

Disney is said to be very keen on the simplicity of this plot, although THS notes that the breakdown is based on an early draft, so it could get more complex. If it does well, though, the studio hopes to release a new Alien flick every other year.

Xenomorphs do not work that way!!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AvA: Dick of Justice

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

In fact, according to the latest intel, Disney has gone so far as to reject creator Ridley Scott's script for a reboot and is moving forward with a fresh one.

This is wonderful news and I hope it's true, the franchise thrived with new people and new ideas. The plot that's described does sound silly but not any more than that of Prometheus & Covenant were you to sum them up in such a manner, so I'll remain optimistic now that the IP is once again free.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s the worst news I’ve ever read in my fuckin goddamn life

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I have also received confirmation from comedy podcast PeePee-Dooder that Disney absolutely will be rebooting ALIEN as "more stupider", and "for dumbies", aiming to recapture the success of extremely controversial STAR WARS film "EPISODE 8: THE LAST JEDI".

Click here for a numbered slideshow with more information.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
What really matters is how many expectations you can subvert

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They definitely did by making it poo poo instead of badass like Prometheus and covenant

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bring back Blomkamp's follow up to Aliens.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Make a corporate drama at Weyland Industries without an alien

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

teagone posted:

Thankfully Disney has a "No Ripley" rule apparently so he couldn't do his dream sequel to Aliens but I would like to see Blomkamp make an Alien movie of some kind, just one that's completely independent of all other entries in the franchise. Were he not so busy (I'm assuming Dune will be getting sequels?) I would love to see Denis Villeneuve craft his own take on the IP as well.

Will never happen but imagine if Disney gave David Lynch a fortune to make an Alien movie, it would be incredible :swoon:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

This one sucks too because it’s lame recon fan poo poo.

I just want my properties to be subversive and divisive and cool. I don’t want to be fan bated. I want something new!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SUNKOS posted:

Thankfully Disney has a "No Ripley" rule apparently so he couldn't do his dream sequel to Aliens but I would like to see Blomkamp make an Alien movie of some kind, just one that's completely independent of all other entries in the franchise. Were he not so busy (I'm assuming Dune will be getting sequels?) I would love to see Denis Villeneuve craft his own take on the IP as well.

Will never happen but imagine if Disney gave David Lynch a fortune to make an Alien movie, it would be incredible :swoon:
Blomkamp adapting the comic ‘Aliens: Labyrinth’ would be loving bonkers.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

SUNKOS posted:

This is wonderful news and I hope it's true, the franchise thrived with new people and new ideas. The plot that's described does sound silly but not any more than that of Prometheus & Covenant were you to sum them up in such a manner, so I'll remain optimistic now that the IP is once again free.

No, it sounds like some terrible poo poo written by an 8 year old after a round of playing with his Alien toys. So much for the perfect organism unclouded by conscience or delusions of morality

I'm all for taking the franchise in new directions, but that is a complete contradiction to everything Ash said about about the Alien in one of the best and most memorable scenes in the franchise's first and best film

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I hope the main character, Ash, uses an electric type Xenomorph

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

This one sucks too because it’s lame recon fan poo poo.

I just want my properties to be subversive and divisive and cool. I don’t want to be fan bated. I want something new!

I don't care what the story is. I'd just know I'd probably love an Alien film done up in the Blomkamp aesthetic, replete with pulse rifles.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gresh posted:

No, it sounds like some terrible poo poo written by an 8 year old after a round of playing with his Alien toys. So much for the perfect organism unclouded by conscience or delusions of morality
Miraculously the comics never got that silly (although they did get silly). I can think of three semi-comparable ideas in the comics and all three are easily less dumb.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

CelticPredator posted:

I just want my properties to be subversive and divisive and cool.

Well, a "good alien" is definitely two of those...

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

so what is Fiona gonna name her sidekick Xenomorph? Blue?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

SUNKOS posted:

Lol

At last

Disney corp has freed us from the tyranny of Scott free productions

CelticPredator posted:

:bisonyes:

We'll never know but given the strength of his ouevre I bet Blomkamp's would have been super sick no matter how retcon/fan-servicey it was on paper.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

teagone posted:

I’ll never understand how Blomhack stans still exist after Elysium, Chappie, and Demonic. Thankfully that last one destroyed what was left of his career, so we can all rest easy knowing a cynical Terminator: Dark Fate type retread/retcon is not in store for the Alien series. But Disney might find another hack like Snyder to do it with those Disney dollars, so who knows.

Maybe Disney will let Scott finish the David storyline after The Last Duel and House Of Gucci get nominated/win oscars early next year?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MLSM posted:

I’ll never understand how Blomhack stans still exist after Elysium, Chappie, and Demonic.

I haven't watched Demonic yet. I didn't like Elysium much, but I enjoyed Chappie. My enjoyment of any film is largely based on how pretty I think the visuals are—the prettier the movie the more I'm likely to at least partly enjoy it, even if the story and characters are weak/dumb/whatever. Blomkamp might be a one-trick pony, but his movies have a very distinct sci-fi aesthetic that runs right in line with my personal taste.

[edit] Blomkamp also did make a bunch of cool short films through Oats Studios. And he did that Anthem short film that I'm sure gained him some fans.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 20, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MLSM posted:

I’ll never understand how Blomhack stans still exist after Elysium, Chappie, and Demonic. Thankfully that last one destroyed what was left of his career, so we can all rest easy knowing a cynical Terminator: Dark Fate type retread/retcon is not in store for the Alien series. But Disney might find another hack like Snyder to do it with those Disney dollars, so who knows.

Maybe Disney will let Scott finish the David storyline after The Last Duel and House Of Gucci get nominated/win oscars early next year?
Well, despite your bad opinions, you have informed me there's a new Neil Blomkamp movie so I must thank you.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Martman posted:

Well, despite your bad opinions, you have informed me there's a new Neil Blomkamp movie so I must thank you.

It was so bad you didn’t even hear about it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MLSM posted:

You're only making me want to watch it more!!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MLSM posted:

Nobody knew about it. I remember reading articles where the headlines said he made the film in secret during the pandemic (with on-set COVID protocols in place).

[edit] Have you seen Zygote? It's Blomkamp sorta channeling Alien:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWB-MVJ4sQ

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MLSM posted:

I'll have the opposite of whatever this guy is trying to say, please

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve had enough Cameron’s alien style in my life.

Please do something else

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I have also received confirmation from comedy podcast PeePee-Dooder that Disney absolutely will be rebooting ALIEN as "more stupider", and "for dumbies", aiming to recapture the success of extremely controversial STAR WARS film "EPISODE 8: THE LAST JEDI".

Wouldn't have taken you for a fan of the PeePee-Dooder 'cast, SMG. My personal favorite run is their 12 episode takedown of a 6th grade essay George Lucas wrote about reptiles.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 20, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, Disney would be lucky to have someone like Snyder on any project imo, but there's no way Snyder would ever kowtow to Disney execs because lol.

[edit] Just reminding the thread Blomkamp made a short film with Sigourney Weaver about an alien invasion that's pretty cool.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 20, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve had enough Cameron’s alien style in my life.

Please do something else

I mean I'm down for another Alien vs Predator movie, but only if they bring back Arnold as Dutch and introduce Linn Kurosawa.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was great. I think blomkamp owns and I’d love to see him do an original alien movie. If he wants Ripley back he should just use the clone one and do some poo poo writing where her age and old memories make her more like her old self. Idk.

I just don’t like movies that’s sole purpose is to undo a “bad” one. (Even if they are legit bad. I just prefer them to keep going) however I’ll say I have exceptions like Halloween. But I’ll cop to not being that big of a halloween fan and way bigger fan of McBride and Green so I was into it from the start.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If the alien is unclouded by delusions of morality, it can do whatever it wants, like unleash its burning shounen spirit in defense of its friends.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Martman posted:

You're only making me want to watch it more!!

I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I love that she's looking at the Rotten Tomatoes score in horror. Rotten Tomatoes is dumb and my interest only grows deeper

e: Also wtf there are more critic reviews than audience ratings. It seems like basically no one has seen this movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah I was gonna watch AVP but now Ima watch Demonic instead, lol.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Rottentomatoes says that Elysium is better than Alien3 , Alien Resurrection, and Alien: Covenant. It also says that District 9 is better than both Prometheus and Covenant.

Of course, Rottentomatoes also says that Alien 4 is better than Alien 3. This is an algorithm website where 33% of their critics rated Predator 4: The Predator as 'good'.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont know why Blomkamp cant just do a District 9 sequel...you know the one movie of his that was pretty much universally loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I dont know why Blomkamp cant just do a District 9 sequel...you know the one movie of his that was pretty much universally loved.

District 9 is "universally loved" because it was widely misinterpreted as being a politically moderate historical drama. His score on the evil website went down as his films became more explicitly leftist, and consequently 'divisive'.