Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Wheany posted:

well as long as you tell this to the candidates beforehand

I'd hope that would be obvious, but yeah, you're probably right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

DrPossum posted:

Interview code challenges, whiteboard, pairing, being observed, or otherwise are loving awful. I was toying with the idea of inverting it:

You bring a challenge of your choice in your language of choice to me, put it on some public repo (and develop and commit like you would), and we walk through your solution and decisions together and we have to keep it to 30 min

I kind of like the idea of not putting someone on the spot, seeing what they think is a sufficiently interesting and appropriate problem that can be timeboxed, getting an idea of how they thought through their solution, getting an idea of their proactive communication, and how they take feedback.

Do something trivial like fizzbuzz and you can gently caress off, do something that takes 4 hours to go through and you can gently caress off, copy paste something you can't articulate and is probably in one big commit and you can gently caress off

this will never take off because the point of interviews is to make the interviewers feel like they're smart boys

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qsvui posted:

this will never take off because the point of interviews is to make the interviewers feel like they're smart boys

and to make hr seem like a department worth keeping

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
hr is really the most useless of departments

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

hr is really the most useless of departments

imo good hr is like good chair - if it's actually good, you won't have any comments to make, or really ever notice them. that's kind of the point. legitimately bad hr, otoh, is actually going to feel worse than p much any other part of the company being bad

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
management is work cops, hr is work cop union

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

cinci zoo sniper posted:

imo good hr is like good chair - if it's actually good, you won't have any comments to make, or really ever notice them. that's kind of the point. legitimately bad hr, otoh, is actually going to feel worse than p much any other part of the company being bad

a bad chair is also the most miserable thing ever so pretty good analogy

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Plorkyeran posted:

stop being a whiny baby and just learn how to use git if you’re a developer and have to use it for your job.
Oh I can do push and pull and merge but I avoid anything else because goddamn.

quote:

it has a stupid rear end ui but there are much more complicated and worse things that you interact with on a daily basis
Actually there isn't. Git is literally the worst thing I have to use every day.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
if you don’t have to deal with any new age build systems on a daily basis you’ve got a pretty sick programming gig imo

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
i am loving sick of kubernetes bullshit. we had a build system where prs would get deployed to dev and anything merged to master would immediately be pushed to stage but thanks to our "transition" to kubernetes everything is manual and takes a ton of work copying and pasting build tags to get it to deploy. also our build system is 300,000 lines of code while all our business logic is less than 100,000. trust me i'm working on getting a new job

my last job had full ci/cd all the way to prod worldwide and when i tell team members this they think i'm lying

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

raminasi posted:

fun git fact i learned the hard way: the reflog doesn't store "commits" that only ever lived in the stash, but there apparently is a double-secret reflog-like thing that does that you can only get at using "plumbing" commands

i would like to know more. loving up stashes is something i have done that's resulted in me losing work

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
A code challenge that isn't overly complex but gives the interviewee a lot of opportunity to showcase their skills is ideal - they also should never be observed and time limit should be relaxed

It's pretty easy to game a quick code challenge but it's much harder to hide your style and deficiencies in a larger, untimed challenge

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Joe Chip posted:

i am loving sick of kubernetes bullshit. we had a build system where prs would get deployed to dev and anything merged to master would immediately be pushed to stage but thanks to our "transition" to kubernetes everything is manual and takes a ton of work copying and pasting build tags to get it to deploy. also our build system is 300,000 lines of code while all our business logic is less than 100,000. trust me i'm working on getting a new job

my last job had full ci/cd all the way to prod worldwide and when i tell team members this they think i'm lying

we have that too, i just checked and our .gitlab-ci.template.yml file is 346 lines including whitespace and comments lol

that includes building a test database and publishing an updated html representation of the db schema

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

we have that too, i just checked and our .gitlab-ci.template.yml file is 346 lines including whitespace and comments lol

that includes building a test database and publishing an updated html representation of the db schema

our respective equivalent is ~1500 lines for building a db snapshot with sensitive information censored, deploying full-scale clone of our production environment with your changes, and running some special snowflake integration tests and synthetic workloads in addition to the expected boilerplate engineering

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

redleader posted:

i would like to know more. loving up stashes is something i have done that's resulted in me losing work
git fsck, I think?

or to make a shell nightmare with some help from stack overflow:

git log --no-walk=sorted --format='%H' --min-parents=3 --reverse $(git fsck | awk '/dangling commit/ {
print $3}') | while read hash; do git log -1 --pretty=reference $hash; git stash show $hash; echo; done

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 20, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

turns out release crunch is not just a thing in the games industry, but even in embedded if the release is big enough that hundreds of millions are on the line

by the end of this week I will have been working for 20 days straight, 10+hours on average

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Private Speech posted:

turns out release crunch is not just a thing in the games industry, but even in embedded if the release is big enough that hundreds of millions are on the line

by the end of this week I will have been working for 20 days straight, 10+hours on average

why have you been doing this to yourself? Are you being fairly compensated for all this work?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

champagne posting posted:

why have you been doing this to yourself? Are you being fairly compensated for all this work?

yeah we'll get 1:1 time off, which isn't bad given it's not contractual

and the answer to "why" is *gestures to the rest of the team and then the door*

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Dylan16807 posted:

git fsck, I think?

or to make a shell nightmare with some help from stack overflow:

git log --no-walk=sorted --format='%H' --min-parents=3 --reverse $(git fsck | awk '/dangling commit/ {
print $3}') | while read hash; do git log -1 --pretty=reference $hash; git stash show $hash; echo; done

did you just tell me to git fsck myself?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Private Speech posted:

yeah we'll get 1:1 time off, which isn't bad given it's not contractual

and the answer to "why" is *gestures to the rest of the team and then the door*

the rest of your team left to form a union?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

the rest of your team left to form a union?

hey this is software development we're talking about

I was going more for put up or gently caress off, everyone has that choice

e: to be fair even our manager was absolutely knackered by yesterday, we had to wake him up at 7:30PM to make some decisions

as for labour laws in the UK, uhh, we can't be required to work more than 48 hours averaged over the year without signing it off, which was part of our contract anyway (and normal hours are 35 so there's plenty of leeway either way), overtime does not need to be compensated and the first two years of your contract you can be sacked for any non-protected reason (i.e. discrimination, maternity, whistleblowing, union activity if unionised)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 20, 2021

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

even with paid time off after this crunch I'm still amazed you're putting up with it and not going "you suck at planning mr management, and now you must suffer for it. See you tomorrow"

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

did you just tell me to git fsck myself?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Private Speech posted:

e: to be fair even our manager was absolutely knackered by yesterday, we had to wake him up at 7:30PM to make some decisions
how is this a good thing? so not only did they incompetently plan this whole thing but at this point in the project they're the only one to be able to decide some things?

how is stockholm syndrome working out for you so far

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sagacity posted:

i was worried at first but now i don't seem to want to leave

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Sagacity posted:

how is this a good thing? so not only did they incompetently plan this whole thing but at this point in the project they're the only one to be able to decide some things?

It's more the size of the company - a month ago our manager told us he said in a higher-up meeting there was no way we could be finished but that he was roundly ignored.

There's like 6+ more layers of management above him that made that decision, the number of people doing crunch right now is definitely in three digits at least.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Private Speech posted:

It's more the size of the company - a month ago our manager told us he said there was no way we could be finished but that he was roundly ignored.

There's like 6+ more layers of management above him that made that decision.

i believe dante wrote something about this kind of management structure

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

"Crunch is not a triumph of the workforce, it is a failure of management." - Jim Sterling

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Private Speech posted:

It's more the size of the company - a month ago our manager told us he said in a higher-up meeting there was no way we could be finished but that he was roundly ignored.

There's like 6+ more layers of management above him that made that decision, the number of people doing crunch right now is definitely in three digits at least.

he told them it couldn't be done, and now you're all working yourself to the bone to prove upper management right? Talk about setting fire to yourself to keep others warm

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

he told them it couldn't be done, and now you're all working yourself to the bone to prove upper management right? Talk about setting fire to yourself to keep others warm

something something it's fine cartoon

I honestly don't mind too much, but I feel sorry for the people with kids who can't even put them to bed at times, the conference calls get a bit weird some days

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Private Speech posted:

I honestly don't mind too much, but I feel sorry for the people with kids who can't even put them to bed at times, the conference calls get a bit weird some days

Workers of the world unite

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Private Speech posted:

im sorry but people like you is why people with kids who want to keep their jobs end up not seeing them as much in those situations

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im sorry but people like you is why people with kids who want to keep their jobs end up not seeing them as much in those situations

but they aren't complaining either, in fact it's really only our manager who talks about how it's bad (but necessary) and apologising a lot

like what's the play there, from what I can tell I can get fired (there -is- a lot of replacements) or not? and I like the job, we don't normally do any overtime even

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Private Speech posted:

but they aren't complaining either, in fact it's really only our manager who talks about how it's bad (but necessary) and apologising a lot

like what's the play there, from what I can tell I can get fired (there -is- a lot of replacements) or not? and I like the job, we don't normally do any overtime even

I think I found a correlation

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Private Speech posted:

(there -is- a lot of replacements)

Do you have any data supporting this claim? If my experience in the middle of europe is any indication, it is (and has basically always been) real hard to find any capable developers above junior grade because they're so very rare.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I will also lay a chunk of blame on your direct manager. His job is to be your lightning rod so you can focus on your work and not have to worry about things above your paygrade like 'roadmaps'.

If he's put it down in writing before that it couldn't be done, he should be actively blocking any attempts to time crunch. Also for his own sake, he's being actively undermined from above.

If he didn't put it in writing and allowed himself to be scapegoated for his bosses' decisions, he's not a good manager.

e: The third option of course is that he's lying his rear end out to you and was promised a nice fat bonus and / or promotion if he managed to get you to time crunch, and the 'disgruntled martyr weeping for his reports' toiling' is just an act. You seem to like him personally so I will not suggest this possibility.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ocean of Milk posted:

Do you have any data supporting this claim? If my experience in the middle of europe is any indication, it is (and has basically always been) real hard to find any capable developers above junior grade because they're so very rare.

We've had to double our team somewhat recently and we had something like 1:5 hire/applicant ratio for the second round of interviews and it only took a month. We've also hired 3 replacements in the last year.

It's not perfect but the company does have relatively decent pay and benefits, and is generally a household name including a major presence in the US (that side of the company I'm told is significantly more ruthless to their devs).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 20, 2021

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Private Speech posted:

it's a dangerous precedent to set.

when someone says there's no way you could finish on time, management ignores you and you all work to death to finish on time the message to the management is "yep, i was right, these people should be ignored when they complain", and maybe even "look at how great everyone's performance is when i really push their limits!".

it's bullshit and if it gets reinforced it just gets worse and worse

obviously, i'm not saying you should personally make a stand against this, clearly you're in an environment where everyone else is contributing to the problem and you trying to hold boundaries on your own isn't going to do anything besides draw lots of flack from everyone around you.

just make sure you take care of yourself and don't burn out. it can really creep up on you, and if this becomes a pattern it's probably time to change jobs

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Frankly I think the number of segfaults we're seeing due to every team pushing barely-tested code in right now is probably enough of an issue for management.

We're close to a press release and the thing is less stable (albeit more feature-rich) than I've ever seen.

e: particularly fun one is compiler warnings going from -werror to "huh how does this even compile" within the span of two weeks

though I think that's all for what I'm going to say, NDA and all that

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You are actively making not only your own life worse but the lives of the workers around you. Reconsider.

cinci zoo sniper posted: