Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

They can only be called moon cakes if they come from the lunar surface. Otherwise they are just sparkling bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Starbucks has some bacon flavor ones and other weird flavors, they're actually kinda good.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you want somebody with a chem eng phd to do weird rear end food science to any mooncakes you want. the more artificial this product is the better

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
just checked the ones we got from work, 3200 calories in the palm-sized ones we were given

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
and somehow it still manages to taste like poo poo

mania
Sep 9, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Not really. It seemed more brown and think like tamarind paste?

It almost tasted like an empanada?

Yeah a quarter would have been fine but I ate half trying to decide what I liked and didn’t like about it.

Overall not bad honestly. It was super dense though and getting through half wasn’t easy.

The paste looks like it might be red date? Kinda reminds me of the ones we had to get for my grandma, which were filled with seeds and nuts.

Man, are there like mooncake selling fairs in China? Where all the bakeries & restaurants get booths and hawk their mooncakes? We have a couple of big fairs in Singapore and (in the pre-covid times) it was a good way to sample the weird and unusual flavors.

Also I found a picture of the chess mooncake box:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mania posted:

The paste looks like it might be red date?

You know you might be right. I can’t put my finger on the taste but that does seem like it could be that.

I’m gonna have to check the back of the box when I go back in and see if it actually says what it is.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

my homie dhall posted:

just checked the ones we got from work, 3200 calories in the palm-sized ones we were given

for reference, that’s about how many calories are in a pound of butter

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

hypnophant posted:

for reference, that’s about how many calories are in a pound of butter

Yes but there are 4,010 calories in a pound of palm oil

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I brought my neighbor a box of Cinnabun yesterday and so today they brought us a box of durian mooncake. I really feel I lost out on that transaction. My kid was pretty excited though. He's like the one person who likes mooncake.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I will do it. I will try a starbucks mooncake.

edit: local one didnt know what they were :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 19, 2021

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Keep the cake just give me the Durian

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Moon cake boxes are frequently elaborate and extremely solid.

I have 3 in various places around my apartment for storage containers. They both look tasteful enough to blend in, and last for years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrainDance posted:

Starbucks has some bacon flavor ones and other weird flavors, they're actually kinda good.

The further away from being a real mooncake a mooncake is, the more people like them.

I enjoyed some twitter post a couple weeks ago yelling at white people for making chocolate and ice cream mooncakes and how it was cultural appropriation and poo poo from some ABC dude who clearly has never been to China during Mid-Autumn Festival. One of my favorite twitter microgenres.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Atopian posted:

Moon cake boxes are frequently elaborate and extremely solid.

I have 3 in various places around my apartment for storage containers. They both look tasteful enough to blend in, and last for years.

Alright, I think we have a decent mix of people from different backgrounds here.

Americans often put sewing supplies in old cookie containers, leading to many disappointed curious children. Does this happen elsewhere?

New bucket-list entry: travel far and wide, leaving small, attractive cookie tins full of needles and thread in conspicuous places. If you can't leave the world a better place, you may as well leave it a slightly more baffling one.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

The purpose of mooncakes is to immediately regift them to someone else before the festival ends isn't it?

that's what I always did - but it got to the point like my fifth year in china I was getting so many loving mooncakes I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. I would take a few bites of one like a week after spring festival and throw out the other 7. really the biggest scam in china

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 19, 2021

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I did keep the ones in nice boxes because atopian is correct - those boxes were tanks. get rid of the cakes, keep the box

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I might prefer to find sewing supplies than mooncakes

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

madeintaipei posted:

Alright, I think we have a decent mix of people from different backgrounds here.

Americans often put sewing supplies in old cookie containers, leading to many disappointed curious children. Does this happen elsewhere?

Absolutely happens in N. Europe. The single time I ever found cookies inside a cookie tin was old gingerbread in my grandads basement. And thats how I learned what half a decade old gingerbread tastes like.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

The only mooncakes I'm eating are rear end.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/karl_zha/status/1439476430858067968
https://twitter.com/langqisha/status/1439442248676954125
Quebec is so infamous for its separatism that there are entire comedy skits poking fun at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM8d5q01LOA

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MyronMulch posted:

The only mooncakes I'm eating are rear end.

far cheaper, less calories and tastes better

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Did this guy have a change of heart, or am I thinking of someone else?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Nothing says patriotism quite like participating in the wholesale destruction of your country's judicial and legislative systems so the authoritarian, unelected government of a larger neighbouring country can take over faster.

ili fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 19, 2021

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

So if you gave someone in China moonpies instead of mooncakes, would they thank you or be upset? Or both???

drk
Jan 16, 2005
What exactly makes a Hong Kong Patriot? Something tells me its not a love for a free and independent Hong Kong

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

You were thinking of someone else.
Hes parodying carl zha.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rinkles posted:

Karl Zha is a shitposting account, Carl Zha is the giant shitbag.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Question for the China thread re: fowl bone shards. What's the proper etiquette for eating a chunk of duck, roughly 4x "bite size", floating in a bowl of soup, that's like 60% bone by volume? Just hold it up with your chop sticks and daintily nibble the meat off of it? I think I'd need to spend a week at chopstick boot camp to manage that without dropping it 5 times.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
uk sinn fein members dont show up because they refuse to pledge alleigance to the queen lol

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Question for the China thread re: fowl bone shards. What's the proper etiquette for eating a chunk of duck, roughly 4x "bite size", floating in a bowl of soup, that's like 60% bone by volume? Just hold it up with your chop sticks and daintily nibble the meat off of it? I think I'd need to spend a week at chopstick boot camp to manage that without dropping it 5 times.

For most people yeah you just hold it with your chopsticks and eat the meat off it, you can briefly hold the piece in your mouth while you reposition them too. If you're some giant weirdo though you just have a meltdown about bones in your meat, then probably storm off to hoover up a plate of tendies.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ili posted:

For most people yeah you just hold it with your chopsticks and eat the meat off it, you can briefly hold the piece in your mouth while you reposition them too. If you're some giant weirdo though you just have a meltdown about bones in your meat, then probably storm off to hoover up a plate of tendies.

I'd definitely be willing to try a plate of duck tendies.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The Moon Monster posted:

:same: I think this idiot is confusing giant weirdos with reasonable people who don’t enjoy bone shards.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

:same: I think this idiot is confusing giant weirdos with reasonable people who don’t enjoy bone shards.

I don't even mind the bone shards too much, I just like duck and want to know the proper way to eat it while only looking like kind of a dipshit rather than a turbo dipshit.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The Moon Monster posted:

I had a "why don't we eat fried duck like fried chicken?" moment a few months ago, so I got some. And then I realized why fried duck isn't as popular as fried chicken. Not as good as you'd think.

It's still duck it's fine I'd just rather be eating it any other way.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BrainDance posted:

One boiled duck, coming up!

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

BrainDance posted:

I had a "why don't we eat fried duck like fried chicken?" moment a few months ago, so I got some. And then I realized why fried duck isn't as popular as fried chicken. Not as good as you'd think.

Duck wings tho. Massive, tasty.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Gotta try duck pastrami sometime

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Mala duck wings are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Don't get so wound up over it mate, my 9yo can't eat meat off the bone properly either. If you're lucky sometimes the restaurants have a kids menu so you can order nuggies instead of stressing :).