Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sentinel Red posted:

Can we get a real deal Alien v X-Men crossover now please? The resurrection protocol means there should be nothing stopping us from getting some mental as anything Aliens with punch dimension heads/healing factor/paraffin glob bodies/GOLDBALLS/diamond form (Jesus gently caress) and who knows what other horrors besides.

This is Brood erasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://ew.com/books/x-lives-of-wolverine-x-deaths-of-wolverine-comic-benjamin-percy-interview/

Percy confirming that the "pause" post-Inferno is the Wolverine story, which will be weekly.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
And this: https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1438548255449694212

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

He was in a hole so long that I forgot he was in a hole!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Meh. Sabretooth was only ever interesting when he was a good guy or the AoA version with Blink. Otherwise I just can't care about the guy.

Also don't much care for the Wolverine thing so looks like I'm getting a break from X-Men for a bit.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That's a lot of fire. . . h...ot . . . claws??

Codependent Poster posted:

Meh. Sabretooth was only ever interesting when he was a good guy or the AoA version with Blink. Otherwise I just can't care about the guy.

Also don't much care for the Wolverine thing so looks like I'm getting a break from X-Men for a bit.

AoA Sabertooth is how I hope he eventually ends up at some point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rick posted:

That's a lot of fire. . . h...ot . . . claws??

AoA Sabertooth is how I hope he eventually ends up at some point.

It's probably because it's coming out during/immediately after Inferno. How long is Inferno going?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Anyone familiar with acclaimed author Victor LaValle who's apparently the main draw for a 616 Sabertooth mini-series?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone familiar with acclaimed author Victor LaValle who's apparently the main draw for a 616 Sabertooth mini-series?

not familiar with his work, but he's very well-regarded if the number of awards he's won and been nominated for is any indication - and he's done a graphic novel with Boom!, so he's familiar with scriptwriting. So I'm pretty hopeful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not familiar because I don't follow modern genre fiction so I can't name hardly anyone still publishing aside from people who have been doing it since the 90s or earlier.

He has a poo poo ton of nominations and a decent number of wins from various sci-fi/fantasy/horror awards. They hype up the name when a successful prose writer takes on a series, and sometimes they are really good at comics and sometimes they are really bad.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Saoshyant posted:

He's superb. I've taught his novella The Ballad of Black Tom a bunch of times and it kills.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

He's superb. I've taught his novella The Ballad of Black Tom a bunch of times and it kills.
I didn't know they were doing X-Men novellas too!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

danbanana posted:

This is Brood erasure.

Yeah, why else do think Disney bought Fox? :newlol:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I read it recently and it is, indeed, very good, and it sounds like a perfect teachable book in that it's easy to take in at a gulp but full of subtext and social commentary. A quick read and a great modern treatment of Lovecraft.

I have no idea what LaValle's take on Sabretooth will be, but it'll probably be good. Dude can write.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I can't believe I am now waiting with some eagerness for a Sabertooth miniseries in the year 2021.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Huh. A Percy-written, Wolverine-focused title would not have been my first choice for the big weekly book….but I’ll give it a shot.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I read LaValle’s Big Machine a while back and it was good. I too do not give much of a poo poo about Sabretooth, but I’ll at least give it a shot. Also, have they not updated his costume since the Jim Lee era? Not a fan of that one but realize they aren’t going back to the OG orange one, but maybe the could have him dressed as a Canadian, like on the cover of Wolverine #10 (the one where he’s about to whack Wolvie with a tree stump)?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They’ve changed his look plenty of times, usually some sort of black ops gear with bits of orange, but nothing nearly as memorable. They’ve been fine for a more nuanced, and team friendly Sabertooth.

It’s weird if you stop to consider that it’s actually a suit he’s wearing, but when he’s going toe to toe with Wolverine you just see an animal, and I love it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why're they treating the avengers visiting like its their first time? They were literally just there the day before

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Why're they treating the avengers visiting like its their first time? They were literally just there the day before

this time they're there as superheroes, not invited guests - they were even allowed to fly in in a Quinjet, which they weren't permitted to do at the party

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

this time they're there as superheroes, not invited guests - they were even allowed to fly in in a Quinjet, which they weren't permitted to do at the party

Also the Gala was on Emma Frost's weird island just off the coast of mainland Krakoa, not on the main thing, wasn't it? I mean, I think that was still part of Krakoa, but it is a bit different.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

oh poo poo that's right, the Gala was on the little island she bought from Namor, I'd forgotten that

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Was it just me who thought Trail of Magneto was terribly written? Not just the three *sigh* in the first few pages, the dialog was horrible. Everything Stark said made me wish he was dead.

I thought Magneto's whole attack was going to be done kind of misdirection or something, but no, just a dumb attack. Also he's invincible or something, every mutant on the island and a bunch of Avengers can't stop him.

IUG fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 17, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The second issue didn't quite click with me either, but I can't really say why. Maybe because things feel too mysterious and unexplained for anything to click right now. I don't understand the big deal about making sure the Avengers didn't see the body, and I don't get why Hope in particular was so insistent about this to the point that she would wake Magneto up to make sure it didn't happen, or why Magneto would rather surrender himself instead of letting them see Wanda. It feels like I missed a scene or three.

The argument between Hope and Xavier also felt forced to me. Sorry Hope, it's a little late at this point to pick nits about the ethics of mind-reading, isn't it? What with there being mind-readers around every corner on this little island of yours?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

IUG posted:

Was it just me who thought Trail of Magneto was terribly written? Not just the three *sigh* in the first few pages, the dialog was horrible. Everything Stark said made me wish he was dead.

I thought Magneto's whole attack was going to be done kind of misdirection or something, but no, just a dumb attack. Also he's invincible or something, every mutant on the island and a bunch of Avengers can't stop him.

I am almost certain the attack was a misdirection, as it looked like Hope had influenced Magneto into doing it. I'm assuming his confession was part of that. Why Hope did that, to what end, and what her role in this whole murder is remains unanswered, as is most of the plot, but that's to be expected in a mystery.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It was absolutely misdirection to give time for the Five to resurrect Wanda.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they don't need her body to resurrect her, so that wouldn't be a reason for hope to send magneto out to keep them away from the body. also wanda's body got eaten by trees for some reason?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they don't need her body to resurrect her, so that wouldn't be a reason for hope to send magneto out to keep them away from the body. also wanda's body got eaten by trees for some reason?

If they see the body then her, they will know about resurrection.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Am I the only one who really digs the classic orange Saber tooth look? Give that an update for the new solo book you cowards!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

glitchwraith posted:

I am almost certain the attack was a misdirection, as it looked like Hope had influenced Magneto into doing it. I'm assuming his confession was part of that. Why Hope did that, to what end, and what her role in this whole murder is remains unanswered, as is most of the plot, but that's to be expected in a mystery.

I think Hope doesn't believe Magneto killed Wanda. Or if he did, it was with the idea they would resurrect her as a mutant and he at least had Hope in on the plan beforehand. She has the powerset to do what killed Wanda.

Though I still think this is more that Magneto did not kill Wanda, and the Five are starting to separate themselves from the council. Like how they decided that clones such as Scout and Maddie have the right to resurrection.

But yeah, Magneto attacking was to make a big ruckus and keep the Avengers from seeing Wanda's body while the Five brought her back. This was to cover the resurrection protocols.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That is kind of an interesting thing to de-mutant yourself with your mutant power, and then to be brought back as a mutant although I'm not exactly sure what it says.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Am I the only one who really digs the classic orange Saber tooth look? Give that an update for the new solo book you cowards!

You are not. I was kinda bitching up thread about them using the Jim Lee costume. The classic look is sooooo much better.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

danbanana posted:

I'm back in an office for the first time in 18 months so I've started listening to podcast stuff again. The Magneto episode of Conner Goldsmith's Cerebro podcast was really great, featuring noted X-geek/punk/Pulitzer winner Spencer Ackerman. Then I started the Moira episode which informed me about this book:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/X-Men:_True_Friends_Vol_1_1

Claremont + Leonardi doing a Kate/Rachel book where they go back in time. Sounds fun! But apparently the desciption on the Marvel fandom wiki isn't telling the whole story. Because what they describe as a decision "between saving the life of one friend or the lives of millions," they're actually talking about how Kate and Rachel are debating about KILLING HITLER.

Has anyone read this? It's not on MU. It sounds batshit.

A little late but this description weirdly makes it sound as if Kate and Rachel are FRIENDS WITH HITLER which is very much not the case. Basically once Kate figures out that she's in 1936 (this takes a weirdly long time but I suppose its Marvel so "I just fought a castle full of nazis" is evergreen) she's like, screw this madcap Highlands caper, why are we not crossing the Channel and killing Hitler right this second? Which a Logan who may or may not also be time traveling cosigns until Mystique and Destiny who ALSO MAY OR MAY NOT BE TIME TRAVELING urge them to pump the brakes a bit and go deal with the Shadow King who is of course running around Scotland with Baron von Strucker and the long forgotten Wolverine bad guy Geist. So, once the Shadow King is dealt with everybody is kicked back to 1999 before they get a chance to even deal with Hitler.

It's not that they proactively choose to save their dear bosom buddy Hitler's life or anything, it's more that they don't get around to doing anything about him. It's quite odd-- I mean, it's a quite odd (and clumsy) mini after all-- but my hunch is that Claremont would have felt weird having Kate not even BROACH THE SUBJECT but was unable for editorial or just discretionary reasons to actually have her rewrite history in so drastic a fashion in a miniseries that hit stands almost a decade after it was originally planned. So it's really just an unsatisfying little subplot that doesn't accomplish much...

I love Claremont but it is not a great story. Maybe worth reading if you like Rick Leonardi and it is quite bonkers and novel.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, hitler in 616 had the spear of destiny and that ain't nothing to gently caress with. it wasn't quite as impressive as he thought, but it could probably stab an intangible teenager easily enough.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hey, hitler in 616 had the spear of destiny and that ain't nothing to gently caress with. it wasn't quite as impressive as he thought, but it could probably stab an intangible teenager easily enough.

I thought Hitler having the Spear of Destiny was more of a DC thing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nope, marvel too! though after reading the entry more closely he only got it during ww2.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I thought Hitler with the Spear of Destiny was the final boss of Persona 2

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My favorite WWII era magic/superhero stuff is from Roy Thomas's Invaders, which was all retroactive WWII stuff written in the 1970s. Since Marvel already had Dracula and Frankenstein books running at the time, Baron Blood's origin is "a British Nazi sympathizer is disowned by Baron Blood's rich family, reads Bram Stoker's Dracula and thinks... what if this is non-fiction? And so Baron Blood goes to Transylvania and meets the real Dracula who turns Baron Blood into a vampire and then Baron Blood goes to Hitler and is like GOOD NEWS, VAMPIRES ARE REAL AND I WILL FIGHT FOR YOU!"

Then several issues later someone goes "well if Bram Stoker's Dracula is based on real life, what if Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was also based on true events?" and they find Victor Frankstein's grandson and press-gang him into using his grandpa's castle to make them a new Frankenstein.

There's something both insane and wonderful about the idea of characters in comic books just assuming everything is based on true events, there should be Hydra agents trying to track down Charizard and Wario and Hogwart's and Garfield and Tony Soprano and Young Sheldon and recruiting them to the cause in modern Marvel comics.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 20, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Did Dracula fight Hitler? Is that how he got on the Avengers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
No and No?

Dracula fought Nazis when they tried to take over his castle (in a story somehow written and published in 1991), but not Hitler.

Neither Hitler nor Dracula to my knowledge have been Avengers members.