Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

It's a slow work day today so I had time to finish the last of my basic infantry for Infinity.

I'm painting mostly with transparent paints, with a few opaque paints thrown in for highlights.

edit: new, better photo added.

:aaaaa:

What would these look like if you took your time, Verisimilidude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

AndyElusive posted:

:aaaaa:

What would these look like if you took your time, Verisimilidude?

Probably much neater lol. I have very limited patience tho so if I can spend 2 hours on a model and get a result I'm happy with, I'm good with that.

Briny Sea Pup
Mar 28, 2010
So I’m about to dive headfirst into warhammer w/the AOS Dominion box I just got; what are your tips on holding models while painting? Fully assembling vs painting piecemeal?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Briny Sea Pup posted:

So I’m about to dive headfirst into warhammer w/the AOS Dominion box I just got; what are your tips on holding models while painting? Fully assembling vs painting piecemeal?

I fully assemble and prime black so any missed spots are hard to notice. I also use 2” wooden blocks with sticky tack to hold models in place. It’s very economical and hasn’t failed me.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Briny Sea Pup posted:

Most things I'll fully assemble. I figure stuff tucked behind other parts won't be seen anyway.

However, models with shields I tend to paint with the shields off, and things like the Warp Lightning cannon (pictured) that would be a nightmare to get the inner details.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 18, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Briny Sea Pup posted:

I use wooden dowels that I've cut into fist-sized pieces for painting handles that I apply double-sided 3M tape to and stick models onto that.

I also prime black but I can't paint certain things without making sub-assemblies, like Space Marines for example. There's too many nooks and crannies that drive me nuts when I can't reach them with a brush. Other things like Necrons I just tend to paint pre-assembled.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I pin all my models to their bases, so I use the paperclips I use for pinning to hold them:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I use wooden dowels that I've cut into fist-sized pieces for painting handles that I apply double-sided 3M tape to and stick models onto that.

I use wine corks or pill bottles and sticky tack.

Really anything is better than trying to grip the models by just the base.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya I have a couple of wine corks that I use to pin heads to when I paint them.

Most of the time my other sub-assemblies are clipped into Mr Hobby airbrush clip sticks.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I quite like the GW painting handles :shobon:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
GW Painting Handles are pretty cheap and ergonomic and if they don't fit what you're painting you can always slam sticky tac on top of it anyway.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Extra large corks with a piece of sprue stick into a drilled hole on my case. Or cork with piece of clipped off paperclip. Prefer to avoid fully assembling models as much as possible.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I’m a freak, because for all my failings and limitations at being a miniature painter, I’ve always been totally fine just holding the base.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

youre way more likely to accidentally touch the mini when you hold it by the base. i would not recommend it.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Idk if I was priming badly or what but I painted my first minis holding the base, and aside from my hand cramping up like crazy it also made the paint start to chip off where I was touching it a lot

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Finished my first Kabalite today so I could get the paint scheme down before I moved onto the others. I think it came out pretty good for a first attempt!

Now to do about 30 more... :shepicide:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Painting Stick for things with tabs

Other things; pill bottle full of sand for weight with a huge amount of blue tack on top to mash things into.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Briny Sea Pup posted:

In general I have found that if it's hard for a brush to get into the books and crannies, you aren't going to see them on a tabletop. If you are just pick a good dark tone that works with your scheme (dark blue for ultramarines, a dark brown for orks, etc) and make a thin wash you can get that into the nooks well enough for it to serve as a general shadow and then you can ignore detailing those parts.

ed: remember that unless you are painting for display, the minis are going to be seen almost exclusively from a high angle at a couple feet away. As a new painter, focus more on contrast in color and brightness over details you will probably never see again once you are done painting.

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 18, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Painted 2 more of these Haqqislam models. Just two more to go!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also it's easier to paint everything as fully assembled as possible because it's easier to see how light should fall on your miniature when doing your shading and highlighting. Doubly so if you're doing a zenithal first.

Or you can be a weird gunpla guy who paints everything on sprue first, all approaches are valid

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
IDK how the thought of filing or gap filling a painted model doesn't instantly trigger sprue painters

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 18, 2021

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I hold the model in my teeth and paint while staring into a mirror

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Silhouette posted:

I hold the model in my teeth and paint while staring into a mirror

I just use an elaborate miniature-holding device that I made out of a steadycam

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Verisimilidude posted:

Painted 2 more of these Haqqislam models. Just two more to go!

These still look fantastic. I wish I had the motivation to paint that you do :smith: Can't even make myself pick up a brush.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You can do it. We, the goons of Miniatures Painting - Steady Hands, Squinty Eyes believe in you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BULBASAUR posted:

IDK how the thought of filing or gap filling a painted model doesn't instantly trigger sprue painters

I had to do that just recently. I've got a model kit where the main body is in two halves. Important components have to be attached before the halves are assembled, which will make masking and paining the thing a nightmare. So I primed and mostly painted the two halves, especially the areas obscured by the subassemblies. Then I attached sub-subassemblies and did the gap filling and sanding on the body where it was needed. Now I just have to mask off and re-prime and paint the body around the seam. It'll look great, but this is one hell of an annoying puzzle.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SkyeAuroline posted:

These still look fantastic. I wish I had the motivation to paint that you do :smith: Can't even make myself pick up a brush.

painting is a process that can take as long as you need it to. try and just get one color down whenever you have the time, whether this takes weeks or days doesnt really matter. pacing yourself is important to not burning out.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

I tend to engage with my hobbies in fits and starts. Before these models I was in a bit of a painting funk. I don't have this kind of motivation all the time, and I'm happy I have it now! Plus it's my birthday weekend so I have plenty of free time to just sit and paint without having to worry about other things.

Speaking of which, finished Tariq from the Haqqislam Action Pack!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Verisimilidude posted:

I tend to engage with my hobbies in fits and starts. Before these models I was in a bit of a painting funk. I don't have this kind of motivation all the time, and I'm happy I have it now! Plus it's my birthday weekend so I have plenty of free time to just sit and paint without having to worry about other things.

Well, happy birthday. I ended up deciding to make myself paint today, started on one of those Primaris marines, loving hated it, and banged out a tabletop standard Line Kazak instead. Unfortunately photography is a joke with how lovely my lighting setup and overall desk setup is, and this is the best of about 15 takes. A little blurry but gets the point across.

Might continue work on it, might call it good and seal it. Third Kazak model done, first one done since 2018 :v:

Seriously hate these loving marines and about ready to mail them to a friend for a better home though

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm a real big brain and find I can't loving stand painting at my desk, hate it, absolute misery, but painting at the kitchen table is fine for an hour or two.

I started painting a solar watch custards for KT and found out pallid wyche flesh is the devil's off white. So thick, until you thin it, then it's maybe too thin maybe too thick, every brush load a surprise.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted 20 more Grave Guard.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Geisladisk posted:

Painted 20 more Grave Guard.

oh damb where are those guys from???

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

3d printed Barrow Wights by Monstrous Encounters: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-barrow-wights-unit-129779

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

whats the cost in resin for something like that?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The slicer estimates about 5ml of resin per model, supports included - Multiply that by 20 and you get about 100ml. So... like 5$, assuming a resin price of 40$/L.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Make sure you close your paint pots before you shake them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's weird how when you intentionally slow down and take your time on a model instead of speed painting, you end up with something you're proud of (base isn't done)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Made some Van... Saurian

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

It's weird how when you intentionally slow down and take your time on a model instead of speed painting, you end up with something you're proud of (base isn't done)

Hell yeah, all the brassy/coppery bits look sweet. Nice work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Verisimilidude posted:

Verisimilidude, bro you are a loving machine