Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

xsf421 posted:

I can't recommend it enough, I've been making my own bacon for almost 3 years now and there's no going back. e: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/making-bacon-using-pork-belly/ I follow this recipe. It makes it slightly saltier than the amazingribs recipe, which we prefer.

Unrelated, but I made andouille this weekend on the smoker:

Send me some! Making gumbo next weekend

ugh lovely snipe, didn't smoke anything this weekend but I did sous vide reheat some older smoked pork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

xsf421 posted:

Ground the meat, blended up the spices, stuffed and smoked it.

They look amazing! Great work.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
So I was about to blow off the advice of the group and just start my smoke at 6am like I wanted. Luckily I was having trouble sleeping last night so I just ended up firing up the smoker in the middle of the night. 6lb butt hit the smoker at 3:30am and was done just in time for dinner at 4pm. Smoker seemed average about 250-260 for most of the smoke. Cowboy lump charcoal with a few chunks of hickory and pecan.

Rubbing my meat at 3am:

Done at 3:30pm. My pulled porks tend to be done at 195 degrees. They are alway nice and juicy and very tender. The one time I took one to 200 degrees it ended up being too dry. Still, each time the temp hits 195 I always give the probe a pull and expect it to need more time. It always slides out like butter, and butt falls apart with no effort.

Was very happy with this smoke.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It really is one of the best feelings not having to watch serving time approach and sweat.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That looks absolutely perfect.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

That is a primo bark, my friend. Looks delicious.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I actually tried spritzing the bark this time to see if I noticed a difference. I happened to have some apple cider and apple cider vinegar, so I just figured I’d try it. Couldn’t really taste a difference in the flavor, but the bark seemed like it had a bit of a better texture. Jury is still out. Will probably spritz again.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

His Divine Shadow posted:

Now the slaw didn't turn out looking that appetizing though it tastes fine, I've added some red onions after the picture and I think I should still add some shredded carrot for a nicer color. I did not have fresh or spring cabbage, figure that's what's needed to avoid the look I got.

nah, the real deal looks like rear end too, lol. tastes good tho

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

So I was about to blow off the advice of the group and just start my smoke at 6am like I wanted. Luckily I was having trouble sleeping last night so I just ended up firing up the smoker in the middle of the night. 6lb butt hit the smoker at 3:30am and was done just in time for dinner at 4pm. Smoker seemed average about 250-260 for most of the smoke. Cowboy lump charcoal with a few chunks of hickory and pecan.

Rubbing my meat at 3am:

Done at 3:30pm. My pulled porks tend to be done at 195 degrees. They are alway nice and juicy and very tender. The one time I took one to 200 degrees it ended up being too dry. Still, each time the temp hits 195 I always give the probe a pull and expect it to need more time. It always slides out like butter, and butt falls apart with no effort.

Was very happy with this smoke.

Yes. Would.

xsf421 posted:

I can't recommend it enough, I've been making my own bacon for almost 3 years now and there's no going back. e: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/making-bacon-using-pork-belly/ I follow this recipe. It makes it slightly saltier than the amazingribs recipe, which we prefer.

That looks incredible.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

xsf421 posted:

Want dat andouille recipe :getin:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My office has a BBQ this coming Friday afternoon. I have a 6lb pork shoulder in the freezer that I'll smoke for it, starting the night before or else very early in the morning.

Assuming I start early enough and it's done ahead of time, is it worthwhile to 'hold' it in a warm crockpot before pulling?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I smoked a small butt yesterday in the laziest way possible. The butt was a bone in piece, but was only like 4 pounds altogether. My girlfriend bought it, I didn't even know you could get them that small. I let the chimney starter get a bit more lit than I wanted, which resulted in a way too hot smoker, I had trouble keeping it under 300. Rubbed the butt with some leftover rub from last time I did q, and plopped it on. I think 3 hours later it was done. I was super worried, but I think it being small, it benefitted from a quicker cooking time. Was super gelatiny (I don't think that's a word), and has decent bark, with only a couple little nubs that stuck out being too dried out/carbonized to eat. By itself, I would consider it a smoking success. But given how little effort I put in, I consider it a resounding success.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

One of the markets in my neighborhood usually has smaller butts. Pretty common to find them 3.75-5 pounds. Sometimes those aren’t bad for a quicker smoke (8 hours) and they easily serve four or five people.

Another market usually has them at 7-10+ pounds. And the butcher just cuts them to order.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My office has a BBQ this coming Friday afternoon. I have a 6lb pork shoulder in the freezer that I'll smoke for it, starting the night before or else very early in the morning.

Assuming I start early enough and it's done ahead of time, is it worthwhile to 'hold' it in a warm crockpot before pulling?

Faux cambro? If you time it right, just cover/wrap in foil, then place in an ice chest with towels around it and over it. Should hold awhile, or at least not get down to the danger zone.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Yeah if you foil it, wrap it in a towel and stick it in a cooler you'll get an hours-long window where no one would ever know it didn't come straight off the smoker. I always rest mine that way when I am having a party, that way you don't have to try and time your smoke exactly to when people are gonna show.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I now about the faux cambro, I've used it before. With that said, I'm thinking about being prepared in case I'm done many hours early. Plus, with the crockpot I can easily transport it and keep it warm, plus pull it in the crockpot once I'm there.

Any disadvantages to this compared to the faux cambro?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Tias posted:

https://tasteofartisan.com/andouille-sausage/

We just buy pork butts at Costco, have a cheap grinder attachment for our kitchen aid mixer, and the cheapest stuffer on Amazon.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks everyone, now I’m looking up meat grinders and sausage casings and spending an inordinate amount of time weighing which grinder is best for my needs.

Also, was looking for a way to incorporate into this post a “smoking goon” pun but couldn’t think of a way so you get this instead

e: do you have to cold smoke sausage?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
You can regular smoke sausage, you don't have to cold smoke it.

I've used cheap hand crank grinders/stuffers and they are fine. The cheap KitchenAid attachment is also fine, if you have one of those. With the expensive KitchenAid attachment I found it was a lot easier to feed the meat in, but I don't think it was $75 easier and the actual grind with both of them was the same.

I used to sometimes get lucky asking for fresh casings at whole foods where they make a ton of sausage, but one day they got weird about it and tried to charge me like ten bucks for a six foot length. Ever since then I've been on the dried casings train, I just get them at Academy or Cabela's.

My friends and I used to like to try to make and smoke weird sausages so we've had a fair amount of practice with all of this, the most important things are to make sure you have enough moisture in your mix and to know it's way way way easier than you think

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Not a question about smoking per se, but how does everyone else manage the cords on probe thermometers? I bought a thermoworks signals and am looking for a safe and uncluttered way to manage the cords. I might try to make some spindles on a 3d printer if nothing else.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Not a question about smoking per se, but how does everyone else manage the cords on probe thermometers? I bought a thermoworks signals and am looking for a safe and uncluttered way to manage the cords. I might try to make some spindles on a 3d printer if nothing else.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3022528

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I want thing. How do I get thing? I do not have plastic pooper.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Shapeways: 3D Printing Service https://www.shapeways.com

Or Etsy.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Stalizard posted:

You can regular smoke sausage, you don't have to cold smoke it.

I've used cheap hand crank grinders/stuffers and they are fine. The cheap KitchenAid attachment is also fine, if you have one of those. With the expensive KitchenAid attachment I found it was a lot easier to feed the meat in, but I don't think it was $75 easier and the actual grind with both of them was the same.

I used to sometimes get lucky asking for fresh casings at whole foods where they make a ton of sausage, but one day they got weird about it and tried to charge me like ten bucks for a six foot length. Ever since then I've been on the dried casings train, I just get them at Academy or Cabela's.

My friends and I used to like to try to make and smoke weird sausages so we've had a fair amount of practice with all of this, the most important things are to make sure you have enough moisture in your mix and to know it's way way way easier than you think

It's really this. It's hilariously low effort for some really amazing results. We grind/season/stuff our own own breakfast sausage, hot italian sausage, bratwurst, and now andouille. It's like an afternoon's worth of work plus smoking for an entire huge batch.

As for the smoking, I followed that recipe pretty much exactly, running at 140-145 for ~7 hours before cranking it up and finishing the sausage to 155.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

https://www.fireboard.com/shop/probe-organizer/

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Tias posted:

Same, but using elk

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Picked up this Kamado Joe Classic I at a yard sale. It was priced at $100 and without me asking they dropped the price to $50. Ceramic is in good shape. It needed a new gasket. The wood was pretty worn out on the handle and the side trays. Also the thermometer was broken, I had removed it by the time I took this photo.

I ordered the replacement parts, splurging for the aluminum trays as the sun destroys everything wood or plastic around here.

Also gave the top vent a coat of grill paint. Thinking about painting the cart legs but not sure if it’s worth the hassle. Also I bought the extender rack so I can have more cooking space. Overall investment is less than $300. Looking good as new here.

My first cook I did two spatchcocked chickens. I didn’t have the thermometer yet so I used a meat remote probe thermometer in the hole, but the thermometer screen kept overheating in the sun. So I have no idea what temp I smoked them at, but I pulled them once the meat was at a safe temp. I used mesquite lump natural charcoal and a few chunks of cherry wood. I now realize the importance of a drip tray as the dripping juices were putting the coals out.

Sorry, didn’t get any photos. Turned out amazing! Very juicy, no dryness at all and it had the perfect amount of smoke flavor. Skin was pretty good too. Had a bunch of leftovers so a few days later I shredded it all up and threw it in a crockpot with hatch green chili sauce. Simmered that for a few hours and served it on chips for the best loving nachos I’ve ever tasted.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
what’s everyone’s thought on wrapping in foil versus butcher paper?

I’m normally a no wrap guy (I usually smoke overnight) but started a pork butt this morning at 6 and need it done for dinner. I’m going at 250-275 and gonna wrap in one or the other once it stalls out.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Butcher paper retains more bark apparently.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There a video Franklin did with another pit master where they did foil vs paper vs nothing. There are differences but it’s going to come down to personal preferences. When done well none of them are bad.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've always used foil because it's what I have on hand. I don't smoke enough to specifically have a roll of butcher paper laying around. You can always poke holes in foil if you need some transmissibility of moisture. Foil is great because it reflects heat more efficiently than anything else you wrap meat in so a few holes isn't going to hamper it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Bob A Feet posted:

what’s everyone’s thought on wrapping in foil versus butcher paper?

I’m normally a no wrap guy (I usually smoke overnight) but started a pork butt this morning at 6 and need it done for dinner. I’m going at 250-275 and gonna wrap in one or the other once it stalls out.

No-wrap equals driest, firmest bark. Foil means moist, soft bark. And butcher paper is in the middle.

I bought a giant roll of pink butcher paper earlier this year so I just use that for the most part. If I was going for speed I'd probably use foil.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I went with foil for the time factor alone. It’s a small butt and I’m going higher than normal but I know by some strange luck it’ll hang at 185-190 for hours if I didn’t.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I ordered a pellet grill three months ago that finally came in. Did a brisket on Monday with it that turned out fantastically.

19 hours on the grill, 15 hour rest.

https://imgur.com/a/pMQj5LI

It was basically meat butter it was so tender.

sinburger fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 20, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Careful, what did your temperature get down to? I've cooled a 14 pound pork shoulder 8 hours wrapped in foil, towel, and in a cooler and got down to 120°F. You aren't really supposed to dip below 140°F. 15 hours has to be approaching 100°F

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He mentions temps in the album link

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so rested for 5 hours then held in a warmer for 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-ITF2iI8w

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 20, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smoked a lamb shoulder today and made some tzatziki sauce using fresh herbs the lady grew.

Probably should have trimmed it some, but it came out delicious.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Did this a few days ago:

Six pounder rubbed with Meathead's Memphis Dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

um excuse me posted:

Careful, what did your temperature get down to? I've cooled a 14 pound pork shoulder 8 hours wrapped in foil, towel, and in a cooler and got down to 120°F. You aren't really supposed to dip below 140°F. 15 hours has to be approaching 100°F

I pulled it at 2 am at ~200 and wrapped it up and stuffed it in a cooler. The temp at 7 am was 145 so I popped it in the oven, still wrapped in paper, at 160 on the keep warm setting until dinner time.

sinburger fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 20, 2021