Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

10-12 hours is the main plot for Deathloop, between exploration and multiplayer you can easily get much more out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

CommissarMega posted:

Could you link it? I'm definitely interested.

Encased complete map, spoilered for your protection

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I didn't even touch multiplayer.

I also probably left the game open while on conference calls at work :thunk:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

When Outcast was new, I remember installing and starting it but due to a bug the intro didn't play so it just dumped me straight into the game without any context. And the intro provides a lot of it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Palpek posted:

Wolcen is on sale - anybody played it recently? Did it get better since release?
Forewarning: I'm not the type of ARPG player to obsess over perfecting my build and grinding out the exact combination of items necessary to clear screens in milliseconds. Though even then, I found Wolcen's loot real boring. Instead, I'm the type to play through the story content and then mess around a little with the endgame before either rerolling or uninstalling or trying out mods. And for that I was a Wolcen apologist even at launch, primarily because I enjoyed its underlying combat and skill customization system, and because the campaign is entertaining and flashy enough. While I haven't played since then, I do know that most of the updates have been pretty well-received, if not gamechanging, and I do plan to do another campaign run one of these days.

In short, I think whether you'll like Wolcen depends on what you're looking for in that type of game.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hub Cat posted:

10-12 hours is the main plot for Deathloop, between exploration and multiplayer you can easily get much more out of it.

Yeah, you'd have to be laser-focused on the main plot to beat the game in 10 hours, with zero curiosity about exploring and experimenting with time loop shenanigans. And you'd probably have to rush in with guns blazing most of the time instead of creeping around stealthily.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I've spent hours just farming powers and having fun Edge-of-Tomorrowing my way through the loop with foreknowledge. It's a great game and the more I play it the more I love it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Wolcen is a decent three dollar game

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Encased

Be sure and do the Ursula quest when you get it, makes a world of difference, but then the longer it takes to get somewhere the more XP you can get.
Not sure if there is even a level cap, if there is i'm thinking its high.

guess i'll spoiler it

Best thing is that right after this, I encountered a house that had broken clocks inside and 2 silhouettes on the wall outside.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Encased: How do you get back to the truck parking lot on the Nashville return visit quest? Every path I could find was blocked off

VVV Thanks! I shoulda tried that in the first place

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 20, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Lakbay posted:

Encased: How do you get back to the truck parking lot on the Nashville return visit quest? Every path I could find was blocked off

Are you in the sewer and cant get back up?
If so there is a bug with that, i luckily didnt get it.

e: If I recall you are on the quest to place a contraption/scanner thing, just reload a save from outside and go up the ramp in the corner, and place it up there by the blockage.

You can potentially try going down there again after reloading, not everyone gets it.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 20, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

A few hours into metal gear solid V. When MGSIII came out, all I heard about was that they had put so much burdensome bullshit in the game, so I never played it or paid any attention to MGS series after that. (I guess that was around the time I quit playing video games anyway.)

drat, the hospital intro is A LITTLE DIFFERENT. Intense, yes. torturous, maybe.
Why did they have me do the most robust character face-maker I've ever seen in my life, then LOL never mind you don't use that face
How many intro credits BY HIDEO KOJIMA do we need
The gameplay feels very high stakes. Immersion they call it
The folks who made this have a sense of humor, f'real.
The character movement is a little clumsy, fumbly, imprecise, but that's the case in every 3D video game. No points docked
It must be getting pretty old by now, but the systems generally seem more robust than current generation games. I don't think I'd even say they're much less slick.
Was not stoked that there are collectibles in the environment after playing AC Odyssey lately. We'll see if the base building is fun and necessary or just "extra stuff."
I love space balloon
My point of comparison for modern stealth game is Hitman 2. Oddly, you could describe both titles as realistic yet cartoonish and video-gamey, in comparison to each other... you could say that's true moreso about either one, you know? but meaning different things.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

I've only just got past the first notable event in the game (a couple hours in) but here are why I'm liking it so far.

--There is vocal narration and voice acting for the major quests, and it's actually pretty good. The writing for the various characters is fun.

--Someone stated this earlier, but it's worth repeating. There are always options for everything you need to do. Not only dialog options, but gameplay options as well. One of the tutorials calls this out specifically, but if you encounter a locked door, there are multiple ways to get past. Pick the lock, force it open, hack a terminal, talk to someone to get a key, pickpocket the key, kill that person to get the key, find another way around.

An example of this is in the area you get to after leaving the employment office, you need to find some way for your truck to safely drive by a dangerous anomaly. After talking with NPCs you learn about a device that can help and where you can find one. But you also learn that there's this monster roaming around there as well.

I get to where the device is, and see the monster. There are pools/clouds of a poison anomaly around making movement difficult. (These can be bypassed by throwing bolts into them to discharge them for a few seconds). On top of that, I noticed from the combat log that the monster was healing as it was walking through the poison. While trying to stall fighting it, I decided to look the containers around to hopefully find something that can help with the fight, and instead I found a vent. Literally found it. It's just a background item until you get close to it (dunno if a perception check is required to pass, mine is 8) and then you get a satisfying *ding* and it becomes something that you can click on. Going through the vent brought me on the other side of the monster and where the device is.

--Combat uses an AP system similar to the old fallout games but it feels much snappier. FO1 and 2 combat felt tedious to me with constant pauses between actions.

--I like the way stealth works as well. If you enter stealth or hold down Caps Lock, you can see two circles around each NPC -- a white and a red. The white is their general awareness. You're completely undetectable in the white area while in stealth. The red area is what the NPC is actively aware of. If you enter the red area, your stealth meter starts to deplete, and you're detected if it goes away. Stealth actions will lower your stealth meter (it refills if you're outside a red area), and each criminal act you do leaves evidence.

So if you crack a safe nearby an NPC and loot it, it gets marked as evidence. If the white area of an NPC overlaps that evidence, then they will notice it, become suspicious and investigate. While suspicious, their red circle gets much bigger. Thankfully evidence doesn't get left immediately, but becomes "active" a second or two after you commit the crime, so you have a chance to leave the area.

It makes it so if you try to commit a crime around people, you can do it, but you can't linger once you get what you're looking for.

--My only real complaint so far is the fatigue system. Most skill actions that you take build up fatigue. At certain amount of fatigue you start getting debuffs. I think the first, and weakest, debuff is at 500 fatigue. My complaint is that some of the fatigue costs feel too high. For example, if you try to force a locked door open, it will add 100 fatigue to your meter. However, picking that same lock adds 75. After picking 7 locks, I get a mild debuff that doesn't go away unless I take a nap or drugs. Now, the early fatigue debuff is really minor (I think it's -1 to GUTS, which determines HP) so it's not game breaking, but rather an annoyance.

Not my play style, but apparently it's really bad for Psi users since they basically need to nap after each battle.

I'm still early, but maybe (hopefully) there are perks that can mitigate the fatigue system down the line.

Are places to sleep hard to find? Do they cost money? Does the game penalizes you spawning enemies or something if you sleep a lot advancing the days?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

Are places to sleep hard to find? Do they cost money? Does the game penalizes you spawning enemies or something if you sleep a lot advancing the days?

There are no 'owned' beds, so you can really just sleep anywhere. I do think this should be fixed, but janky Russian game so whatever.
There are places in Junktown to rent weekly or buy, but you can just as easily just pick the lock and go in.
If you can make it to an areas edge and get to the map, then you can also just camp.
Any outpost areas except for the Fops have an inn type place you can stay, and Magellen has a room you can have after a short quest.
For me its less about the bed and more about access to your personal chest.

Radiation on the other hand (for me at least) is a bigger problem when it rears its head.
There was a place to dig that was in an irradiated area and I forget digging takes time, so I came out heavily irradiated.
I was able to lower the radiation with the points I put in medicine, but I hadn't put enough points in yet to mitigate rad poisoning.

So as I was trying to get someplace with a medical box I kept dying, so I kept having to camp and heal all the way back.
AND, of course, it was at this point I noticed that the items that I had gotten from digging were radioactive and I couldnt wear them.
But fun was had nevertheless.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Velocity Raptor posted:

So if you crack a safe nearby an NPC and loot it, it gets marked as evidence. If the white area of an NPC overlaps that evidence, then they will notice it, become suspicious and investigate. While suspicious, their red circle gets much bigger. Thankfully evidence doesn't get left immediately, but becomes "active" a second or two after you commit the crime, so you have a chance to leave the area.

It makes it so if you try to commit a crime around people, you can do it, but you can't linger once you get what you're looking for.

I dont know why this hasnt been done much, this makes a lot of sense and feels way more satisfying than most other HALT CRIMINAL SCUM systems you normally see in rpgs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mescal posted:

A few hours into metal gear solid V. When MGSIII came out, all I heard about was that they had put so much burdensome bullshit in the game, so I never played it or paid any attention to MGS series after that. (I guess that was around the time I quit playing video games anyway.)

drat, the hospital intro is A LITTLE DIFFERENT. Intense, yes. torturous, maybe.

I absolutely loved playing this game but every time I think about maybe going back and loving about with another playthrough I remember it would mean having to go through the hospital sequence and yeaaah gently caress that :smithicide:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OgNar posted:

Encased complete map, spoilered for your protection

:syoon: Thanks!

OgNar posted:

There are places in Junktown to rent weekly or buy, but you can just as easily just pick the lock and go in.

IIRC you also get XP every time you pick the lock to do so, so that's one for the powergamers. That said, once you get good enough at theiving, supplies don't become an issue, so I just scrimped and saved for the 30K house for the personal achievement :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely loved playing this game but every time I think about maybe going back and loving about with another playthrough I remember it would mean having to go through the hospital sequence and yeaaah gently caress that :smithicide:

:same:

It’s a great game and the intro is good but if you’ve been through it once you’re pretty much set for life on that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I played and enjoyed MGS1/2/3 when they came out :corsair: . But I could not get on with V, I'm not sure if it was the tedious opening or I was just 'done' with open world games at the time but I just got incredibly bored very quickly. Maybe one day I'll go back and give it a second look, perhaps not being hot off Witcher 3 would help.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I have 19 hours in Deathloop so far and I don't think I'm close to the end yet but I just love Arkane games because there's so much stuff to explore. I think I would bum myself out if I ran through it just to finish the story.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I'm loving Deathloop. Tried invading for the first time last night and had a blast.
Probably did six invasions, only actually won one but got a few kills on most of them at least.

Unlocks come pretty fast. I only got one kill on my first invasion but had like 18 unlocks aftwards so I got a decent load out pretty quick.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mgsv is one of the good open world games because it loves to just keep giving u more and more toys to play around with

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The tools you get are fun, but the maps and a lot of the missions are pretty dull.

Also the pre-mission cutscenes spoiling the mission by giving away the actors. :arghfist:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

why couldn't Konami's cheap mgs5 cash-in just be mgs5 with more maps instead of some weird zombie thing

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Turin Turambar posted:

As others have said, it's fairly easy to find a bed out in the world. However, if you're in a dungeon, beds aren't as easily accessable.

This is where the fatigue system started to grind on me. I'd go through, be unlocking boxes for loot, get the debuff, and then have to run back to the entrance where there was an Employee room with a cot.

E: should also reiterate that my complaint about fatigue is based on the early game, before you're given free access to overworld travel, so I've only been dealing with areas where I can't just set up camp, and have to look for a bed

Might not be as much of an issue once I have free access to leave an area

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 20, 2021

sad question
May 30, 2020

Broken Cog posted:

Also the pre-mission cutscenes spoiling the mission by giving away the actors. :arghfist:

I kinda enjoyed stressing out because the SKULLS unit showed up in the opening credits :ohdear:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah... the hospital was a pretty incredible level but it's loving huge and takes forever before you get anywhere near the open world stuff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also you can't skip anything in it, and IIRC there was an achievement somewhere at the end of the stage, which if you didn't manage to first try, you'd have to spend 20 minutes doing the first half of the level again to have another go.

That level truly was peak Kojima.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mescal posted:

Why did they have me do the most robust character face-maker I've ever seen in my life, then LOL never mind you don't use that face

Starting off the game with an intricate character creator for what your character will look like post-plastic surgery and then having the plastic surgeon get domed before he can do the operation has got to be one of the funniest gags I've ever seen in a video game. For what it's worth, I assume the online mode is deader than dead, but whatever face you build in the character creator is saved and used by default when you play online, so it doesn't have zero purpose. The way they integrate it into the intro is great though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the face thing is one of the finest moments in gaming

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I've put about 20 hours into Deathloop now and could probably finish it if I wanted, but am still enjoying just going around finding new things to explore or unlock.

Fantastic game but I think the invasions could use some toning down - they're generally stacked in Colt's favor but it's still up to chance and there's zero at stake for Julianna since worst-case they just queue to invade someone else with no prep needed, and it seems like so many people are doing it at the moment that you're guaranteed to get invaded at the beginning of any area that has a visionary in it, which gets old fast. I just had two runs in a row where I had all 4 areas invaded within a few seconds of leaving the tunnel, dying on the last one in to a fight that I'd say was an unavoidable loss. Would have hated to have had that happen 3 or 4 areas deep into killing all the visionaries.

I've switched my setup to match what every invader is doing right now as well: a Rapier with More Bang, the trinket for fast reloads, damage reduction, health up and faster power recovery trinkets, and the shift and aether slabs. Almost every invader I killed today dropped aether/flicker and that specific rapier, and it's the least fun combo to encounter when the invasion happens early as it's hard to scout around for where they're camping with all of the enemies and traps still live. On paper the "hack the antenna to unlock the tunnels" mechanic sounds great, but if you're trying to do something that only happens at one time of day you're basically forced into chancing it with Julianna and having to restart, and the further you get into the game the more likely that is to be the case.

I'm not sure what they could do to make it better, potentially no invasions for the first 5-10 minutes so you're not always fighting in the same general area, and no back-to-back invasions so you at least get some downtime?

I know I could just switch it to friends only but the invasions are fun when they go well, they're just too common and staleness is setting in with the rapier/more bang combo being in vogue.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 20, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Velocity Raptor posted:

As others have said, it's fairly easy to find a bed out in the world. However, if you're in a dungeon, beds aren't as easily accessable.

This is where the fatigue system started to grind on me. I'd go through, be unlocking boxes for loot, get the debuff, and then have to run back to the entrance where there was an Employee room with a cot.

E: should also reiterate that my complaint about fatigue is based on the early game, before you're given free access to overworld travel, so I've only been dealing with areas where I can't just set up camp, and have to look for a bed

Might not be as much of an issue once I have free access to leave an area

You get tons of coffee and theres also the meds that reduce fatigue by 300. Walk through Magellan or whatever and just click on all the red coffee machines to get more coffee

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You get tons of coffee and theres also the meds that reduce fatigue by 300. Walk through Magellan or whatever and just click on all the red coffee machines to get more coffee

There's also a guy in the lab in Magellan that will trade Cronus/Forefathers points for medical stuff, and he's the only one I've found so far with Energon available for 1 point (either type).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 20, 2021

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Good to know, thanks! I just got to Megellan, so I'll definitely do this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fatigue (although not necessarily the mechanic of sleeping interacting with consumables, potentially giving (de)buffs, etc.) is one of those things in Encased they should have just cut. It adds nothing but unnecessary tedium, or at least I doubt there are very many people who love it on the grounds of 'wow so realistic!!'. Especially when even minor actions increase your Fatigue, making it possible to be completely exhausted an hour after waking up from a full night's sleep

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Sigh, so I see CoD Cold War on sale on the PS4 a few months back, pick it up and just get around to playing it now (partly due to the Activision account bullshit putting me off).

Except when I boot it up I realise I already bought and finished the damned thing ages back on PC.

I swear the description of it didn't sound like anything I'd played before so gently caress knows how I've gotten confused. Though all CoDs have become generic forgettable shootymans now so maybe the game was just meh enough to forget.

Though I also think not having all the games I own in one library has also contributed to this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Here's what's coming up in October:

October 5th: Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl ($40)

In what feels like a shitpost you will soon be able to uppercut Danny Phantom as Nigel Thornberry. From the developer of Slap City.

October 5th: Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania ($30)

The Kiryu cameo in this game might make more sense when you realize RGG is the dev house for this mega collection of Monkey Ball levels and minigames. It houses 300 levels from Monkey Balls 1, 2 and Deluxe, and 12 minigames from across the series.

October 7th: The Last Campfire ($15)

Hello Games (No Man's Sky)'s existential (and yet relaxing) puzzle game escapes Epic jail and comes to Steam. Having played it back in January, I quite liked it, and it didn't need a thousand content updates to become good. A fun little world to run around, and solid puzzle design.

October 7th: Moonglow Bay (on Gamepass)

An Animal Crossing inspired life sim with a heavy focus on fishing and a voxel look reminiscent of The Touryst.

October 7th: Jack Axe

An open-worldy platformer with a Nitrome-ish art style, where you dash to your axe after you throw it, which of course factors into a lot of the movement tech and level design.

October 12th: Back 4 Blood ($60)

The original Left 4 Dead developer is basically doing it again under a new name, and hopefully it's not hosed like Evolve was.

October 14th: Chasing Static

A first-person horror game previously featured on the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc, with a crisp-yet-lofi look and gameplay that reminds me of Sylvio's (searching through static).

October 14th: The Jackbox Party Pack 8 ($30)

Another year, another jackbox with 4 new games and a sequel. The sequel this time around is Drawful Animate, which has you drawing a 2-frame animation loop for your prompts. There's a social deduction drawing game, a trivia game (not YDKJ), a job interview game that looks like a better version of WordSpud, and a game about guessing what answers your friends chose to prompts.

October 14th: The Riftbreaker ($30)

That's right, after many Steam Festival appearances, The Riftbreaker is finally coming out. For those in a cave, Riftbreaker combines ARPG, tower defense, resource gathering and factory automation into one game. By the developers of X-Morph Defense.

October 19th: Into the Pit (on Gamepass)

Another retro-FPS roguelite, this one is published by Humble Games who has been pretty much on fire as a publisher the past couple of years (Flynn Son of Crimson, Project Wingman, Carto, Dodgeball Academia, Prodeus). Whether it will be for me will depend on whether it has adequate level design (a similar game, Ziggurat, did not).

October 19th: Dead Estate

Here's another roguelite, this one styled like the old isometric adventure games from the Speccy days like Head Over Heels. It's a gunny one, a fast paced shoot'n'loot.

October 19th: Escape Room Simulator

Ever since SEUM: Speedrunners from Hell, Pine Studio has gone deep in the opposite direction, making largely puzzle-oriented games like Faraway, Cats in Time and The Academy. Releasing an Escape Room Maker is the next natural step from them, coming with a level editor and Workshop support. The demo was not incredible but the potential that a community could bring to this with custom content is intriguing to me.

October 20th: They Always Run

Hidden object game publisher Alawar is branching out into other genres, and their first action game focuses on fluid animations and a Flashback-lookin world. Given that the publisher has basically no track record here, this might be a wait and see release.

October: Tandem: a Tale of Shadows

If you've finished Toodee and Topdee, here's another game in the same vein (really bizarre to see games so similar releasing so close together, but it does feel like coincidence in this case). This one has more whimsical fairy tale energy to it, but the gameplay is the same, combining side-scrolling platforming with top down puzzling.

October 22nd: The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes ($30)

Do people actually like these? I feel like Supermassive has been running on fumes ever since Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.

October 26th: Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy ($60)

The Deus Ex: Mankind Divided studio makes a game, and I have to say, we never asked for this. I don't know who this is for. It looks identical to the Avengers game that people already didn't like or stick with, but with forced bad humor and more characters that avoid the movie likenesses. Stop loving with this developer, Square, and let them make Deus Ex.

October 27th: Super Robot Wars 30 ($60)

SRW finally comes to the West, and yes, that is the protagonist to 2005 anime Gun X Sword pictured above. Also featured in this one are various Gundam series, GaoGaiGar, Code Geass and its pizza, Getter Robo, Mazinger, Magic Knight Rayearth, and SSSS.Gridman. Gamesmasteranthony is going to be pumped.

October 28th: Age of Empires IV ($60) (on Gamepass)

I'm out of my element here but any time a new AOE releases it's a big deal. Comes with 4 campaigns, but won't have mod support until Early 2022.

October 28th: Forgive Me Father (Early Access)

I'm honestly surprised this one isn't New Blood, but 1C seems to have established themselves as The Other Retro FPS Publisher, having now published Dread Templar, Graven, Viscerafest, Wrath, and now Forgive Me Father. And it looks dope. But I'm a sucker for these kinds of games, so maybe I'm biased.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
new Swery game launches October 15, hopefully without transphobia this time. not sure the life sim/survival elements are my thing but the premise is definitely intriguing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4y6GQK0XI

Not mentioned in the trailer, but this will also be on Game Pass at launch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finally, Steam Next Fest has put out a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ykD5CeNWk

There'll likely be more details on the demos featured next week, and then the festival itself starts on October 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Part of me is surprised that a current EGS timed exclusive (Unexplored 2) is allowed to market itself on Steam with a demo. But hey I’m not complaining. These are my favorite events.