Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

Russia still has international election observers who afaik are allowed to work mostly independently, so it's good to plant physical ballots in case they show up.

They don't have observers from OSCE this time around, so I'm reasonably sure the majority of international observers are from CIS, i.e. the same observers who found no violations in Belarus last year.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Ever since they put cameras in their polling stations I have seen at least one video on the internet of Russian poll workers stuffing ballot boxes during elections. It's as if Putin promised to expose corruption in the election and now that everyone knows what are you going to do about it?

This year at least three local election officials were arrested for various violations thanks to cameras and local observers. Russian elections are mostly rigged on the initial steps of registering candidates. Voting itself, while far from perfect, occasionally results in election of an opposition candidate. That's why Smart Voting is such a threat to United Russia. They really can't do a lot just with stuffing ballot boxes, especially in bigger cities, where local election officials are less likely to cooperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Paladinus posted:

They don't have observers from OSCE this time around, so I'm reasonably sure the majority of international observers are from CIS, i.e. the same observers who found no violations in Belarus last year.

And the reason for no OSCE is that Russia limited the number of visas referring to COVID-19 to the point where sending observers would have been entirely pointless, so they withdrew completely.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
watching the elections on russian tv with my nan now while i'm visiting Back Home, and it's actually kinda interesting to watch it unfold

while united russia has won (of course) i'm kind of sensing a note of desperation present throughout, and i'm honestly surprised by how well the KPRF are polling. of course it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things - it's not like they're anywhere close to being actual communists, or actual opposition for that matter - but i haven't seen united russia do so poorly for quite a while, and continuous attempts to sell it as some great patriotic Victory really fall flat this time, even when taken at face value

i'm also kinda surprised/weirded out by seeing Zahar Prilepin - an actual honest-to-god nazbol - somehow getting 6%+ on a joint ticket with Sergei Mironov of all people as a co-chair of A Just Russia of all parties (at least that's what im gathering, i haven't followed russian politics for quite a while and it was a bit of a "wait, what :stare: " moment for me once i realised that lol)

nurmie fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 19, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

nurmie posted:

watching the elections on russian tv with my nan now while i'm visiting Back Home, and it's actually kinda interesting to watch it unfold

while united russia has won (of course) i'm kind of sensing a note of desperation present throughout, and i'm honestly surprised by how well the KPRF are polling. of course it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things - it's not like they're anywhere close to being actual communists, or actual opposition for that matter - but i haven't seen united russia do so poorly for quite a while, and continuous attempts to sell it as some great patriotic Victory really fall flat this time, even when taken at face value

i'm also kinda surprised/weirded out by seeing Zahar Prilepin - an actual honest-to-god nazbol - somehow getting 6%+ on a joint ticket with Sergei Mironov of all people as a co-chair of A Just Russia of all parties (at least that's what im gathering, i haven't followed russian politics for quite a while and it was a bit of a "wait, what :stare: " moment for me once i realised that lol)

Prilepin is not going to be in Duma, he instead opted to attend state-sponsored gubernatorial leadership courses.

As for United Russia's apparent loss of ~10 points compared to 2016, from what I've heard, New People are basically United Russia 2.0 aimed at people who are just weary of the old faces (hence the name). They seem to be going to get at least 7%. It's still a big improvement for Russian Duma, if there are 5 fractions instead of 4.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Paladinus posted:

New People are basically United Russia 2.0 aimed at people who are just weary of the old faces (hence the name).

yeah i was wondering about these guys, but a cursory wikipedia check tells me that "United Russia 2.0" is indeed an apt description

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Autumn is here, and conditions on the Polish border are becoming tough. Three people, presumed Iraqi citizens, were found dead on the Polish side, presumably due to the subzero temperatures we’re starting to get at night. Eight Iraqis were saved from drowning in a swamp - the border area is mostly covered by a dense ancient forrest.

The political posturing started racking up a body count. It’ll only get worse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

Aw, shucks. So I guess he honchos aren't confident the underlings would be able to keep their story straight / cheat competently enough without being given actual ballots to count. Reminds me of a chart from years ago where most of the individual stations simply rounded the results to a neat number close to the target they were given, so you got an obvious "stepladder" distribution of results instead of anything resembling a natural one.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Found that picture on internets, of course.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Electronic votes are bound to skew loyalist, similar to how mail-in votes in the US skew Democrat. Of course, on top of that, there was pressure on workers everywhere to register and vote online. Some literally had to vote as their boss watched, but in general it's fair to say that people knew how they were expected to vote, and feared something bad could happen if they voted for the wrong party. And then on top of that you get you bog standard fake votes from people who didn't vote online. Hard to tell how much they can gently caress with real electronic votes, though.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

So the results are in and electronic voting topped everything. Lmao this is not even funny, its idiotic. As easy as just typing this post, that's how easy it is.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Shooting at a Russian Uni

quote:

8 people killed in shooting at Russian university
Moscow (CNN)At least eight people were killed when a gunman opened fire at a university in the Russian city of Perm on Monday, officials have said.
A suspect entered the Perm State University campus, some 1,300 kilometers (800 miles) east of Moscow, "with an offensive weapon" and began shooting on Monday morning, the university said on its Telegram channel.
Some students and teachers locked themselves into classrooms during the attack, the university's press service said, state media agency RIA Novosti reported.

Others were seen in footage captured by local media throwing their belongings out of first-floor windows before jumping down and running to safety.
Pretty nasty. What are gun laws like in Russia?[/url]

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Pretty rough laws, moreso wrt storage and access. A variety of medical tests, including psychological, eyesight, overall health. House check of safebox installation and key storage.
Nothing a wad of cash couldn't circumvent - full medical test with all tests favorable costs $60.

I'm more cynical today after election news so it wouldn't surprise me that all of a sudden someone with a shotgun just randomly woke up and went to shoot people in a uni. I'd bet it was organized to tighten up gun laws even more, maybe remove all private gun ownership to not worry about protests after the elections. Will be apparent by how fast new gun laws are introduced.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 20, 2021

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wow, this online voting sounds like a fantastic idea! Will my voting choice be saved in cookies though? I really hope so. Maybe then I can get targeted ads for bandages and pain killers for after the OMON visits. Typing is really hard with broken fingers, it's easier if you can just click on the ad

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Psychological tests for gun ownership in Russiaare complete rubbish, as are tests for military draftees that result in people cracking and going postal.

Shooter describes in his manifesto with glee how easily he has passed the storage checks that were done after the last shooting in Crimea

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

fatherboxx posted:

Psychological tests for gun ownership in Russiaare complete rubbish, as are tests for military draftees that result in people cracking and going postal.

Shooter describes in his manifesto with glee how easily he has passed the storage checks that were done after the last shooting in Crimea

Got a link to his manifesto? News report it was posted before attack, others state it was posted 30 minutes after the attack with a link but link is broken

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Let's not link to manifestos of mass shooters, imo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Erulisse posted:

Got a link to his manifesto? News report it was posted before attack, others state it was posted 30 minutes after the attack with a link but link is broken

I'll pass on linking the manifesto, but it's a formerly-16-y/o dweeb giving a "mom get out of my room" speech about him saving up money for 2 years to buy either a gun or a car to kill "people in his way" with.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Yep found it. Timings do seem weird though.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Erulisse posted:

Yep found it. Timings do seem weird though.

weird how?

also, can we please refrain from making weird conspirological claims about school shootings? doesn't it seem a bit unnecessary (not to mention in bad taste)?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Jesus loving Christ but the absolute pieces of poo poo running this country.

Asylum seekers are freezing and starving to death at the Polish-Belarussian border. The border guards are straight up murdering people. They're catching anyone who manages to cross and dumping them in swamps or in the middle of the woods to die. The Sejm just passed a law to legalize this. Unconfirmed reports say that the border guards may have dragged a corpse over the border to dump it on the Belarussian side.

Meanwhile, the school system is pretty much in free fall. In many places lessons are just straight up not happening because there just aren't enough teachers. Thousands of them quit because of poo poo wages after they lost the 2019 strike, which the government just stonewalled. The minister of education is a fundamentalist troglodyte who looks like a middle-school bully crossed with a particularly shapeless slab of rock, whose response to the problem is, you guessed it, stonewalling - and focusing all his efforts on fighting "LGBT indoctrination" and getting rules in place to fire anyone who teaches wrongthink.

The health care system is also collapsing because, you guessed it, people are quitting because of poo poo wages. This includes especially EMTs. Health care workers are protesting in Warsaw. Nobody came out to even talk to them. Same response as to everything else: stonewall, dig in your heels, ignore problems, blame globohomo-marxist-whateverthefuck and hope they go away.

This will bite us in the rear end even more when Delta hits properly. We're hovering at around 50% vaccinated and completely stalled. The government pushed vaccinations for a while, but it's the one thing where they threw in the towel as soon as they encountered resistance, because a) all the rot-brained antivaxxers are mostly right-wing and might still vote for them, and b) several of the rot-brained antivaxxers are PiS MPs and actively sabotaging the effort.

In 2015 I said PiS would probably be only slightly worse than PO. I was wrong as gently caress. This may have been true at the start, but after a few years drunk on power they've completely degenerated into levels of evil and incompetence that would be cartoonish if it wasn't so horrifying.

Basically just venting at this point. I don't even participate in protests any more and not just because I don't have time. It just feels completely pointless. These morons have made it a point of pride not to ever budge a single inch on anything, and their supporters continue to eat it up and believe it's a sign of strength. The entire policy towards opponents is to tire them out, and it's working.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They were given an opportunity to show their moral character, and boy did they. I naively thought a kid dying might change something.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

We were also slapped with a 500k € daily fine today by the EU commission.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Paladinus posted:

Let's not link to manifestos of mass shooters, imo.

yeah I am confident reiterating this as mod policy

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mokotow posted:

We were also slapped with a 500k € daily fine today by the EU commission.

Can you explain?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

500k for every day we keep the Turow mine running.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/poland-must-pay-500000-euros-daily-ignoring-eu-court-ruling-turow-2021-09-20/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m looking forward to some PiS ghoul claiming the EU took away the money that could’ve gone to feed refugees.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Didnt they recently claim that EU membership costs Poland like 500 mil? :v:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

nurmie posted:

weird how?

also, can we please refrain from making weird conspirological claims about school shootings? doesn't it seem a bit unnecessary (not to mention in bad taste)?

It didn't line up at first with all the reports and manifesto post was timed ~36 minutes after shooting started but then it appeared that vk has a delayed posting timer and after that a clearer timeline of events was posted.
Also, looking at what has happened in here in last 20 years I wouldn't be surprised at all of literally anything. Nothing conspiratorial at all.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Before, seeing those dumb posters about how much money was negotiated for Polish families or whatever was baffling, but now it's just even (more) sad.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

🤷‍♂️

(„He wanted to cycle 1000 km without sleeping for sick Ola, he ran head on into a cistern truck”)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Being unconscious doesn’t count as sleeping, so this was well played. :colbert:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Things on the border are going south really quickly. Dozens of people are stuck in the forests, cold and dying.

No governement agency or Church is giving a slightest bit of poo poo about it. Us be the empire now!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

20 years max sec prison time, without parole!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Putin arresting Communists in Russia over the election.

https://twitter.com/OlgaNYC1211/status/1441596577366241284

https://twitter.com/OlgaNYC1211/status/1441765602851393562

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

THE PARTY IS UNLEASHED

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

E. Wrong thread

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If you gonna have a communist uprising now is the best time I guess. October is right around the corner

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Commies against Putin has to confuse a bunch of Russian old folks, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

Commies against Putin has to confuse a bunch of Russian old folks, right?

Ah, but they are not against Putin. They are against United Russia. Completely different.