Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Tulip Bubble sounds so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It's really cheap! I think I bought it from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362893577593

edit: no longer available, sorry :(

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

OrthoTrot posted:

Fair enough but I don't think that's the best use of them. It's better to have stuff down on your board to unlock other things and get some kind of engine going. Horses are worth 6 points I think (been a few months since I played!) and they cover 10 spaces. Even just covering -1s without unlocking anything they're worth more on the board.

Which means upgrading a horse will be worth about 4 direct points. As a comparison, upgrading a game meat is worth up to 6 direct points. Upgrading a cow gets you 9 points, so more than twice the result for the exact same price as the horse (barring specific occupations/bonuses). Playing horses well means never putting yourself in a situation where you absolutely need that leather tile to unlock something important because upgrading something else will almost always be better for you in the long run. If you think you'll be slaughtering a lot of animals, there's no reason to go for horses instead of cows (again, barring specific combos through occupations).

Brandfarlig posted:

I don't know about solved but as of yet I haven't heard an opening that sounds more efficient. Good amount of tiles, optional island and you're monopolizing one of the strongest actions? I'm looking for a reason to not always do it (except fun) and I'm coming up short. It's not like you're only doing whaling turn 2 and onwards and you're likely to have the money for animals on turn 2 anyway. The game gets more fluid from turn 2 but turn 1 tends to be resources > boat to open up alternatives.

Depends almost entirely on your shed, your starting occupation and what the other players go for, but you can definitely do better than that. A player who knows what you're trying to do can counter your strategy with something like this:

1V market: silver + beans
4V mountain: 4 resources (at least one wood), double upgrade beans and something else
1V 5th column: boat + island with the silver from the market

That player has secured 2 income on his main board, a whaling boat, an island and gets to whale first T2. He also has 3 extra resources to play with and a small green tile to put on his island, and there's a good chance one of those resources is an ore he can then turn into an anvil through 3V crafting. I don't think you can prevent this with your strategy without severely hurting your own early game.
Another option would simply be to get 3 silver and buy a whaling boat T2. Getting 3 silver should always be possible, and I don't really mind spending 3 for 1 viking and 1 wood.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 19, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here's one for the thread

My bud today was like "do you remember that game those guys at that con we went to had? It was a card game about medieval intrigue? And we didn't play it but I wanted to try it?"

I don't think it was any "The Resistance" title. Any ideas what the hell he might be talking about?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

CommonShore posted:

My bud today was like "do you remember that game those guys at that con we went to had? It was a card game about medieval intrigue? And we didn't play it but I wanted to try it?"

I don't think it was any "The Resistance" title. Any ideas what the hell he might be talking about?

When was this from? Could have been War of Whispers or King's Dilemma?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tournament at Camelot/Avalon?

Long arse tarot style cards that I had to learn how to indian shuffle with.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Pretty sure this is wrong, but I highly rate A War of Whispers and I love cracking it out whenever I can.

Collectors edition with all the 3D pieces is :kiss:

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm really excited for Unfathomable. BSG is one of my all-time favourite games so a streamlined version with a theme that my friends that haven't seen the series understands sounds so good.

Yeah I'm super hype for this. Missed out on BSG, and I don't really have any C'thulu stuff in my collection other than base Arkham Horror.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

ohhh uhhh 2019 I guess? I don't even know if it was new. I'm just going to get a list of game names and send them to him for him to look up.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Hey all, I'm looking for a good campaign / legacy game to play with my partner while we wait for Frosthaven.

We've played and enjoyed Pandemic Legacy S0, Pandemic Legacy S1, and Gloomhaven JotL. She bounced off entirely from the Arkham Horror LCG because it felt pretty frustrating to fail actions in a way that wasn't there with Gloomhaven. Spirit Island has been fun but the decision space is a little too high to get it to the table weekly, and it's not really a legacy game. I don't want to get Gloomhaven because...well that's probably just too much Gloomhaven.

I've been considering something like My City or Clank Legacy, but having played neither, am looking for some goon guidance or suggestions of where to go from here.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
My city is good if you like tile placement and head to head. Both of those games are actually head to head.

If you want to try Arkham ever again, buy her the Jaqueline fine investigator, she can, once a turn, choose one of three tokens instead of one.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Love Letter?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CommonShore posted:

ohhh uhhh 2019 I guess? I don't even know if it was new. I'm just going to get a list of game names and send them to him for him to look up.

Council of Verona?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

CommonShore posted:

Duhr, the lesser houses?

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Could be Oriflamme. It's amusing how many possible games fit into a pretty specific theme/type considering what the answer to that question would have looked like 10 years ago.

Speaking of Oriflamme, it's been my online group's most consistently played game the past couple months. The board game arena implementation is very nice and it's just a terrifically tight and well-balanced game. It packs a lot of strategic thinking into a quick 10-15 minute playtime and gets cutthroat savage once you've learned the ropes.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Ceebees posted:

Duhr, the lesser houses?

No need to be rude, they were just asking a question.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

Citadels?
“A game of medieval cities, nobles and intrigue,” is what it says here.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

interrodactyl posted:

Hey all, I'm looking for a good campaign / legacy game to play with my partner while we wait for Frosthaven.

I've been considering something like My City or Clank Legacy, but having played neither, am looking for some goon guidance or suggestions of where to go from here.

My City is on the lighter side but it does play well for two people. It's not very long though - maybe 10 hours of gaming. Betrayal Legacy might be interesting

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CommonShore posted:

Feudum?

How complicated or big was it? Because this game is apparently a monster.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Infinitum posted:

Pretty sure this is wrong, but I highly rate A War of Whispers and I love cracking it out whenever I can.

Collectors edition with all the 3D pieces is :kiss:

War of Whispers feels just short of being great, and I think the biggest problem is it’s just too easy to wind up with similar kingdom portfolios as another player.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Triskelli posted:

War of Whispers feels just short of being great, and I think the biggest problem is it’s just too easy to wind up with similar kingdom portfolios as another player.

We make sure to make people aware that it's very important to place agents on the map. We also have a house rule that an agent can not be in the same area as another agent, nor in any area with a city.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks everyone. From the suggestions he was somehow able to figure out it was Pax Renaissance. Idk how his brain works. I barely remember being shown this game but I guess he has been thinking about it for 3 years

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Eraflure posted:

Depends almost entirely on your shed, your starting occupation and what the other players go for, but you can definitely do better than that. A player who knows what you're trying to do can counter your strategy with something like this:

1V market: silver + beans
4V mountain: 4 resources (at least one wood), double upgrade beans and something else
1V 5th column: boat + island with the silver from the market

That player has secured 2 income on his main board, a whaling boat, an island and gets to whale first T2. He also has 3 extra resources to play with and a small green tile to put on his island, and there's a good chance one of those resources is an ore he can then turn into an anvil through 3V crafting. I don't think you can prevent this with your strategy without severely hurting your own early game.
Another option would simply be to get 3 silver and buy a whaling boat T2. Getting 3 silver should always be possible, and I don't really mind spending 3 for 1 viking and 1 wood.

They absolutely do not get to go first as the line I suggested takes 4 actions. And blocking the whaling boat + island action is a better idea in 1v1 but not useless in 3p either. Either way, I'd prefer to pick 2 resources + 1 upgrade for my fifth column pick so I don't mind someone picking weaker actions to get the boat. With my line I end turn 1 with a whaling boat, 1 wood and 1 ore if I spent my second wood on whaling, upgraded whale meat and 2 income and very good setup to boost my income to around 6 on turn 2. Not saying it's an unbeatable opening but I haven't found anything I would consider entirely comparable.

I may be undervaluing upgrades but spending them on small orange tiles seems really weak. I basically never touch any of the bigger resource actions because they're so inefficient. If an opponent wants to spend 4/6 vikings on turn one on a pretty weak action I'm all for it. Increasing the amount of food you spend will force you to do more hunting etc on turn 3 which is also a cost. And considering how weak many professions are getting to play 1 is frequently a very small gain. You could claim 4 points I suppose but it's not that impressive. I also don't rate resources that highly because outside of lategame house+boat you only really need like 2 wood or stone to make sure you pass your whaling/raiding.

And 3v crafting goes untouched in the majority of my games. Why spend 3 vikings and an ore when you could spend less on raiding to get more things? And the ore can be used on your longships or the significantly more efficient fifth column crafting.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dancer posted:

We make sure to make people aware that it's very important to place agents on the map. We also have a house rule that an agent can not be in the same area as another agent, nor in any area with a city.

Huh, we haven’t done that advanced rule yet! How does it feel being down an agent compared to other people?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

CommonShore posted:

Thanks everyone. From the suggestions he was somehow able to figure out it was Pax Renaissance. Idk how his brain works. I barely remember being shown this game but I guess he has been thinking about it for 3 years

That's a big jump from people suggesting games like Avalon!

If you're looking for it you might be in luck because a second edition just came out so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Personally I much prefer the graphic design in the old version which is why I just tracked down a copy of the original edition. I think I'm in the minority though, most people seem to prefer the new edition even though they made everything brown. I haven't had a chance to put it on the table yet but by all accounts it is a great game, the rulebook is dense as gently caress though.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Huh, we haven’t done that advanced rule yet! How does it feel being down an agent compared to other people?

Don't you mean how does it feel being up a VP-scoring city compared to other people :smug:? My group's first reaction was that agents in the field are OP as gently caress, which is why we never once played without aforementioned house-rule. The one time a good player went for the gimmick of ending the game with all agents on the map (thus doing literally nothing after assigning his agents in round 4) he was 2nd place by only one point. Placing agents on the map is secretly analogous to the Dominion big money strat. People see the shiny council actions and want all of the actions but then they look like (village) idiots :v: . Placing agents on the map is easy points, but if you don't also get just the right amount of actions, someone who does do that will out-scale you.

Since you remove an agent at the start of rounds 2/3/4, the ratio of map agents to council agents can be very fluid. Though note that we also strongly prefer playing 4-player, maybe with 3 players the map & council spots aren't tight enough. Maybe also house-rule one kingdom out of the game when with 3p...

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
My sister in law came across this while doing some research, and I thought the thread would appreciate: Nonlexical “Moans”: Response Cries in Board Game Interactions

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Your buddy is that IASIP meme with Charlie on the cork board with yarn. What in the world. Glad you found it though!

interrodactyl posted:

We've played and enjoyed Pandemic Legacy S0, Pandemic Legacy S1, and Gloomhaven JotL. She bounced off entirely from the Arkham Horror LCG because it felt pretty frustrating to fail actions in a way that wasn't there with Gloomhaven. Spirit Island has been fun but the decision space is a little too high to get it to the table weekly, and it's not really a legacy game. I don't want to get Gloomhaven because...well that's probably just too much Gloomhaven.

I would agree with taking a Gloomhaven break before Frosthaven. I would also avoid anything with Clank on the name pretty heavily. Terrible experience with my play of Clank.

While not technically a Legacy game, I will recommend Too Many Bones. It's a tactical dice chucker that let's you live out the power progression of a campaign in a single session. Or you could play longer campaigns and turn it into a multi session game. There is also an expansion that lets you do a small legacy style campaign by daisy chaining campaigns together. It is very expensive; there is a lot of info to unpack; it is not the cleanest system; but it really hits the spot in a way that few other games have for me. Also despite the info, the turn by turn of the game is actually fairly slick. I think it is easier to grok than Gloomhaven.

I have not played Arkham Horror LCG, but Marvel Champions does have some boxes that offer small campaign like situations. I prefer to take the game as standalone rather than campaign, but it is still an option if she has not sworn off LCG entirely.

I have also heard good things about the King's Dilemma and Mechs Versus Minions if you want more games to research.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

My sister in law came across this while doing some research, and I thought the thread would appreciate: Nonlexical “Moans”: Response Cries in Board Game Interactions

Utterly utterly fascinating! It didn't take long of me reading it before I realised I couldn't possibly read any more of it though, without somewhat souring my experience of game-night, turning it into looking for the behaviours and trying to read them, lol.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

KongGeorgeVII posted:

the rulebook is dense as gently caress though.

Of course it's 'dense' (as in stupid) when you include the libertarian / right wing / racist / xenophobic / Eklundesque rants in there. :razz:

(I don't know if this game actually contains such rants, just wanted to make the joke.)

edit: VVV Nice, second hand sales, taking food out of fash mouths. Love it.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 20, 2021

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
There are lots of footnotes...

I bought my copy second hand so I wouldn't be giving him money.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sometimes you just want to listen to 34 hours of moans and write a paper about it.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

They absolutely do not get to go first as the line I suggested takes 4 actions. And blocking the whaling boat + island action is a better idea in 1v1 but not useless in 3p either. Either way, I'd prefer to pick 2 resources + 1 upgrade for my fifth column pick so I don't mind someone picking weaker actions to get the boat. With my line I end turn 1 with a whaling boat, 1 wood and 1 ore if I spent my second wood on whaling, upgraded whale meat and 2 income and very good setup to boost my income to around 6 on turn 2. Not saying it's an unbeatable opening but I haven't found anything I would consider entirely comparable.

I may be undervaluing upgrades but spending them on small orange tiles seems really weak. I basically never touch any of the bigger resource actions because they're so inefficient. If an opponent wants to spend 4/6 vikings on turn one on a pretty weak action I'm all for it. Increasing the amount of food you spend will force you to do more hunting etc on turn 3 which is also a cost. And considering how weak many professions are getting to play 1 is frequently a very small gain. You could claim 4 points I suppose but it's not that impressive. I also don't rate resources that highly because outside of lategame house+boat you only really need like 2 wood or stone to make sure you pass your whaling/raiding.

And 3v crafting goes untouched in the majority of my games. Why spend 3 vikings and an ore when you could spend less on raiding to get more things? And the ore can be used on your longships or the significantly more efficient fifth column crafting.

If your line takes 4 actions and mine takes 3, I do get to play first T2 unless I misunderstood your post.

You grab some wood
I grab coin + beans
You build a whaling boat
I grab 4 resources + double upgrade + occupation play
You whale
I grab whaling boat + island, end of my turn, I get to go first T2
You still have one viking

You could go for the 4V whaling instead to go first T2 of course, but then you don't block the fifth column. I'd agree double upgrading a bean is usually very weak, but it's fine in T1 if you're gunning for the first player token. It sets you up for a longhouse or some ore crafting later on, it unlocks the 2 income you usually want T1, it's fine overall.

3V crafting is quite strong T2. Crafting an anvil (which should still be available that early) is a net positive of 10 grey tiles and an occupation draw + making pillaging slightly worse for your opponents. And of course, you don't need a boat to do that, so it goes well with an animal start.

2V pillaging and whaling are great actions for sure. They can also fail, especially in T1, and that's why they're stronger actions early on on average. Sure, a player who gets very lucky dice through the entire game gets an advantage, but that's a gamble. I've won several games with 160+ points without pillaging or whaling even once.

We thinned the occupation deck following this guide posted by the lead designer:

quote:

Here is the list of banned cards (8) and cards that get recommended (30) for a more intensive feeling of usage of occupation cards in the game.

Banned:

52 a Tutor (1st)
107 B Adventurer
115 b Princess
125 c Scribe
150 c Meat Buyer (obsolet function with Norwegian expansion)
163 a Farmhand (obsolet function with Norwegian expansion on the less player action board side and to good with getting an antler instead of a hide)
170 a Refugee Helper
189 B Seafarer

Recommanded to get removed:

1 A Peddler
8 a Craft Leader
21 b Collector
28 B Locksmith
41 a Slowpoke
42 b Steward
45 C Pirate
46 B Ship Architect
56 A Arms Dealer
96 A Meat Merchant
97 B Pea Counter
99 A Tutor (2nd)
101 B Judge
104 b Disheartened Warrior
106 B Warmonger
124 B Laborer
133 B Lance Bearer
134 A Drunkard
135 A Lone Wolf
138 c Robber
139 C Loot Hunter
157 C Skinner
158 A Barbarian
161 B Whaling Assistant
162 C Flax Farmer
174 a Bosporus Traveller
175 B Codliver Oil Presser
177 B Maid
180 C Beach Raider
190 B Bosporus Merchant

I recommend trying that. Maybe it would help you have more fun with the occupation deck which does have a fair amount of duds without some trimming.
Even if you're using default decks, getting to play your starting occupation T1 is usually a very good thing since starting occupations are meant to be more powerful than average.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Eraflure posted:

We thinned the occupation deck following this guide posted by the lead designer:

I recommend trying that. Maybe it would help you have more fun with the occupation deck which does have a fair amount of duds without some trimming.
Even if you're using default decks, getting to play your starting occupation T1 is usually a very good thing since starting occupations are meant to be more powerful than average.

Where was this posted? I remember trying to find this in The Before Times the last time I managed to get AFFO to the table.

Would love to read the reasonings behind the removals if it's more involved than 'Bad and Duds'

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Eraflure posted:

If your line takes 4 actions and mine takes 3, I do get to play first T2 unless I misunderstood your post.

You grab some wood
I grab coin + beans
You build a whaling boat
I grab 4 resources + double upgrade + occupation play
You whale
I grab whaling boat + island, end of my turn, I get to go first T2
You still have one viking

Err, the player who places vikings last goes first. That's why my line being 4 actions is important. If you've played the opposite way that changes the game enormously.
Thanks for the list, I'll probably implement that since a lot of them are too weak to ever see play.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Infinitum posted:

Where was this posted? I remember trying to find this in The Before Times the last time I managed to get AFFO to the table.

Would love to read the reasonings behind the removals if it's more involved than 'Bad and Duds'

I think it was in one of the mini expansions.

Some of them were bad and duds, and some of them were broken with The Norwegians, etc.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Played Fief 1429 yesterday, had a bit of an anticlimactic ending but a ton of fun moments, like assasinating my brother in law because he was cursed. Interested in the recent France edition that makes combat a little less brutal though, and would appreciate more than one Assassin card in the deck.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 20, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Triskelli posted:

There are two official house rules that help this. One gives a point penalty to switching, one ensures that everyone starts off with a different BFF faction.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are two official house rules that help this. One gives a point penalty to switching, one ensures that everyone starts off with a different BFF faction.

Oooh I like that. What's the other?

CommonShore posted:

I think it was in one of the mini expansions.

Some of them were bad and duds, and some of them were broken with The Norwegians, etc.

I can't remember if I've done that, will pull the box and have a look later :thunk:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Infinitum posted:

Oooh I like that. What's the other?

Those are the two (swap penalty, unique BFFs).

BGG thread about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Unique BFFs are solid, def pinching that one.