Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I want to believe, without proof, that the PPC uptick is made up entirely of single-issue antivax voters, and not a horde of chuds that just John Cena-ed its way into a polling place.

I also believe there was a plurality of Ukrainian nationalists in the 40s who supported an alliance with Germany only because they didn't like Russia, and who otherwise weren't really onboard with the whole Holocaust thing. Nazis, I believe that group is called today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"I should never be treated like a second class citizen and if I've gotta vote for the Putting People in Camps party to prove that so be it. "

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Hizawk posted:

While I got to vote early due to military stuff, my wife had to wait for her OFFICIAL BALLOT from Elections Canada.

Due to European mailing being absolute poo poo, it arrived on Friday.

Elections Canada said it has to be received by end of day Monday.

This poo poo needs to be fixed and is absolutely appalling.

Democracy for some.

(Edit: Just through random fluke, we had a friend fly back to Canada on Sunday. He dropped it off express courier that should *maybe* arrive in time)

I'm a little suprised to hear that the dependents of CAF Electors can't piggyback on the same system as military folks when they're posted overseas. That's pretty frustrating.

Calumanjaro posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/escrimshaw/status/1439222895121772544

PPC at 21% in Alberta. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Man, whatever the outcome is, the election results are going to be extremely interesting to follow.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm a little suprised to hear that the dependents of CAF Electors can't piggyback on the same system as military folks when they're posted overseas. That's pretty frustrating.

Man, whatever the outcome is, the election results are going to be extremely interesting to follow.

Major "may you live in interesting times" vibes here.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Seriously, though. I don't give too much credence to polling data, but right now there's a lot of things on the table and they're all kind of hilarious.

Will the liberals get hoisted by their own petard (a la Teresa May)?
Will a fringe party riding anti-vax sentiment get seats in parliament?
Will this actually result in a liberal majority (a la Stephen Harper)?
Will pretty much nothing change, and this was all a huge waste of time?

I dunno, I think it's gonna be interesting. :shrug:

vvv Edit: Yeah, this part isn't fun though.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 20, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The PPC gaining ground is going to shift the Conservative party more right which was inevitable and gross and awful. Forwarding my 2024 thanks to Justin for essentially handing a more fascist leader in 2024.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How is fascism not the fault of the fascists? Stop acting like it's Trudeau's fault, and start bashing fash.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How the hell is it Trudeaus fault anti-vaxx morons are shifting Conservatives more right?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Do we have a CanPol election night discord or something? Or do we :justpost:?

edit: I suck

Canuckistan posted:

I think Discord is the standard now for election night drinking channels.

The USPOL Discord has made a thread for us. It's under #worldpol

https://discord.gg/3K9cg27

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 20, 2021

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

How the hell is it Trudeaus fault anti-vaxx morons are shifting Conservatives more right?

Being mad at Trudeau for everything, regardless of political affiliation or preference, but especially regardless of if what you're mad about has anything to do with Trudeau, is the Canadian version of "THANKS OBAMA".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Went and voted NDP in a deep blue riding, but joke's on them, i kept the pencil.

good luck having future elections without the pencil, suckers

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

What the hell is happening with the scale of that steering wheel

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Powershift indeed - is that a 80s station wagon?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vintersorg posted:

Honestly, one of the more troubling shifts is also this idea of removing accountability for people who are stupid and terrible, and do stupid and terrible things. "Oh it's misinformation, it's Trudeau derangement, it's social media, etc." No, gently caress off, lovely people do lovely things because they choose to do lovely things and they could equally choose not to do lovely things. These are not toddlers, these are adults with agency and the capability to consider their own behaviour, we need to start holding them accountable for their choices.

"Trudeau made me sad and now I eat horse paste instead of getting a vaccination!" We don't actually have to pretend these people are victimized or not responsible for being thick fucks who make our nights long and days sour.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Powershift indeed - is that a 80s station wagon?

It's way larger than an 80s station wagon.

(1973 Lincoln Mark IV)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

On my way to the essentially pointless endeavour of voting for the NDP in Saskatchewan.

gently caress Trudeau forever for backing out of election reform.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

Excellent!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Look at all you chumps who didn't vote two weeks early and got depressingly drunk in the past 14 days since.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Madkal posted:

Look at all you chumps who didn't vote two weeks early and got depressingly drunk in the past 14 days since.

I've chosen simply not to vote this year. As for drinking... when has this pandemic started again?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

PT6A posted:

How is fascism not the fault of the fascists? Stop acting like it's Trudeau's fault, and start bashing fash.

The Liberals inability to govern effectively and the Conservatives ability to make people mad without actually fixing problems either leaves them both at fault for the rising tide of fascism.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Powershift posted:

(1973 Lincoln Mark IV)

:lol: This is amazing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Madkal posted:

The thing that kept me from voting early is also keeping me depressingly sober :smith:

I voted around 7:45, but the voting center is in an active high school's gymnasium. I was able to park right by the door, walk straight in to the voting stall, and walk straight out in around 2 minutes.

People doing it later today are going to be fighting for parking with students and it's probably going to not be good.

There are already reports of lines around the block at some Toronto polling stations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gros Tarla posted:

I've chosen simply not to vote this year. As for drinking... when has this pandemic started again?

Sure it's your choice and all but

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Powershift posted:

(1973 Lincoln Mark IV)

All front no back. Much nicer looking than a boxy four door.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Sure it's your choice and all but

First past the post voting means that like at least a third of the people who don't vote are making a rational choice.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

Honestly, one of the more troubling shifts is also this idea of removing accountability for people who are stupid and terrible, and do stupid and terrible things. "Oh it's misinformation, it's Trudeau derangement, it's social media, etc." No, gently caress off, lovely people do lovely things because they choose to do lovely things and they could equally choose not to do lovely things. These are not toddlers, these are adults with agency and the capability to consider their own behaviour, we need to start holding them accountable for their choices.

"Trudeau made me sad and now I eat horse paste instead of getting a vaccination!" We don't actually have to pretend these people are victimized or not responsible for being thick fucks who make our nights long and days sour.

https://twitter.com/conor64/status/1439660731197280260

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

We have a shitload of historical data as to what conditions lead a populace towards fascism and if you actively pursue those conditions because they also benefit you then it's just as much your fault as it is theirs.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

EvilJoven posted:

We have a shitload of historical data as to what conditions lead a populace towards fascism and if you actively pursue those conditions because they also benefit you then it's just as much your fault as it is theirs.

Conditions like elections existing? I can see your argument, and it definitely makes sense when the actions in question enable fascists, but a political party calling an election because they feel it would get them additional power to enact their mandate both doesn't directly enable fascism at all, and isn't all that unjustifiable IMO. If you genuinely believe your policies are the most effective ones for the country, being able to implement those policies more effectively instead of needing to compromise is a good thing for everyone in your mind.

The problem is that Liberals policies aren't actually what's good for the country, but if the NDP were in power and called an election because they felt they could get a majority (lol at this ever being something that could happen), I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I only said thanks to Trudeau for the future fascist leader because if he waited this out - and called an election post-pandemic - the PPC wouldn't be a loving thing chipping away at the Cons. I get it though - it's not his responsibility to manage other parties but fucks sake what a stupid loving election.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Slotducks posted:

called an election post-pandemic

Unfortunately canadian law requires elections every 5 years.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The far-right's constant use of the term "cuck", while not surprising, is always a huge red flag to me that the person using it has some poo poo to work out before we can even get close to being able to talk about politics.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Monaghan posted:

First past the post voting means that like at least a third of the people who don't vote are making a rational choice.

all choices are rational as long as there's a rationale.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Slotducks posted:

I only said thanks to Trudeau for the future fascist leader because if he waited this out - and called an election post-pandemic - the PPC wouldn't be a loving thing chipping away at the Cons. I get it though - it's not his responsibility to manage other parties but fucks sake what a stupid loving election.

It's still possible for the pandemic to get worse before it gets better, requiring expanded mandates that would generate more PPC voters. So the other side of that cointoss is good job captain blackface for nipping the PPC thing in the bud before it got too serious.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol the Green Party candidate for Renfrew Nippissing Pembroke withdrew his candidacy after getting reamed by everyone for comparing passports to the Nazi Gestapo.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/eastern-ontario-green-party-candidate-withdraws-night-before-election-following-unacceptable-comments-1.5592379

Forty more years of Cheryl.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

"The German military during the Second World War."

Thank goodness he didn't say Nazis.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ah yes, the myth of the pure non-nazi wehrmacht

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's Renfrew County anyone power hungry enough to run for politics is also gonna be a jackass in some form on top of how weird a lot of people out there are.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

^My thoughts exactly -- but the greens? Like... really?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

enki42 posted:

Unfortunately canadian law requires elections every 5 years.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It's still possible for the pandemic to get worse before it gets better, requiring expanded mandates that would generate more PPC voters. So the other side of that cointoss is good job captain blackface for nipping the PPC thing in the bud before it got too serious.

ah gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

While I get the general sentiment of "don't call an election during a pandemic," most of the tut-tutting I've heard has come from the CPC who are basically solely responsible for it still being dangerous to go out in public right now so I mostly just hope they all drown in their own lung juices so we can move on.