Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickAJansen/status/1439905467237548034?s=20

I've accepted that Death is Certain but mass starvation is a real bummer :smith:.

Don't worry. You'll die of thirst weeks before you die of starvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

brakeless posted:

foreverial sequestered humanity, log domed permanently and enjoying it

nothing of honor is posting here

they refuse to log off in your time, as they did in ours

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

silicone thrills posted:

There was a Twitter popular person calling Peter kalmus a doomer and claiming his statements were bad for getting anything done lol

LOL here it is

https://twitter.com/realSethReeves/status/1439300997877092354?s=19

lol #yanggang

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CODChimera posted:

i mean it's definitely helped make me unproductive lol

Same. Not very encouraging to think you're stuck working a cash register at the end of the loving world.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think the far more terrifying thought is that it's not the end of the world. It's just the start of a much worse one. Until recently I believed that the inevitable nuclear war would put us out of our misery for good but it seems that nuclear winter isn't likely at all. I imagine people will still be clinging on for (possibly) hundreds more years in the irradiated deserts of the future. Who knows, maybe they find a sustainable niche in hell and humanity is doomed to survive for thousands or even hundreds of thousands more years.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lostconfused posted:

Two weeks ago a paper with the title

"Young People's Voices on Climate Anxiety, Government Betrayal and Moral Injury: A Global Phenomenon"

came out, so yeah should be plenty of articles about it.

The message is going to be "why be sad when you can be happy, don't worry so much :)" before it shifts fully into WHINING MAKES YOU A BAD WORKER mode

Just like we got almost a year of articles about how much employees love their commutes and offices before it was clear the consent manufacturing machine had failed and the messaging just went full-bore GET THE gently caress BACK TO WORK

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think the far more terrifying thought is that it's not the end of the world. It's just the start of a much worse one. Until recently I believed that the inevitable nuclear war would put us out of our misery for good but it seems that nuclear winter isn't likely at all. I imagine people will still be clinging on for (possibly) hundreds more years in the irradiated deserts of the future. Who knows, maybe they find a sustainable niche in hell and humanity is doomed to survive for thousands or even hundreds of thousands more years.

That's pretty optimistic. But when I say "the end of the loving world" that would probably include humanity being reduced to a few bands of scavengers. And I wasn't even talking about nukes.

petit choux has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Sep 20, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Minrad posted:

drat im learning so much about bamboo now holy poo poo

gently caress plastic make everything from bamboo

I buy bamboo tp and toothbrushes and literally anything else I can

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

The message is going to be "why be sad when you can be happy, don't worry so much :)" before it shifts fully into WHINING MAKES YOU A BAD WORKER mode

Just like we got almost a year of articles about how much employees love their commutes and offices before it was clear the consent manufacturing machine had failed and the messaging just went full-bore GET THE gently caress BACK TO WORK

listed in order of publication date

Climate change is making people think twice about having children
Climate change is radicalizing young people — here’s what that means and how to combat despair
Nearly half of young people worldwide say climate change anxiety is affecting their daily life

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Octavia Butler probably hit the nail on the head. Whoever's best at denying reality will get the keys to the kingdom, they'll make it illegal to speak ill of government or big industry in any way.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
can we use CRISPR to allow us to photosynthesis our caloric needs? anyways lmao

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koirhor posted:

its a shame knights of sidonia went with 3d in the anime adaptation.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Koirhor posted:

genetic engineering the next phase of humanity might be the only way we continue as a species on earth

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7uBeWE9CEs

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/fatimathefatima/status/1439959044027043842

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Well, making sure workers dont die of heat stroke when their factories are hit by extreme heatwaves technically counts as mitigating something to do with climate change. I'll allow it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Hexigrammus posted:

That's some stiff competition in the Pants making GBS threads Burnover category, Australia's going to have to step up its game.

Interesting. I wonder if the explosives planted to tear the wreck apart also deactivate any leftover munitions still in those hulls. Must be exciting to dump a load of steel on the deck and find a live one rolling around.

There's a WWII wreck at the bottom of a long straight channel just south of Prince Rupert. It's been leaking oil for decades so the government finally got around to tapping the tanks and emptying the fuel sometime around 2010. One of the things that made the job interesting was the cargo - a load of tanks and 500 lb bombs bound for Alaska. At least it wasn't those two nuclear bombs lost off the Central Coast in the late 1950s. So much crap in the oceans.

Funny story about that wreck: they suddenly decided to clean it up in the winter of 2013 as part of a PR campaign for one of the oil pipeline projects. "Look at us, we can totally handle an oil spill in the worst conditions!!" type thing.

The ship had 700 tonnes of Bunker fuel on it when it went down.

The coast guard recovered 35 tonnes, after spending fifty million dollars, and declared the project a complete success.

Minrad posted:

just realized rime named this thread as such to help stop posting in the dnd climate change thread

lol but also lmao because its stopped me from posting there once now already

It was more that I strongly loathe that people equate "stopping carbon emissions" == "western lifestyles continue unchanged, yaaaaaay!", which has been the thrust of most previous threads and is certainly the central theme of the D&D thread. The "climate" has already changed and will continue changing, that's not really the concern.

Biosphere is hosed from a hundred angles all leading back to the ecological footprint of industrial civilization, any proposed solutions on the table come exclusively from a viewpoint of perpetuating this circumstance while avoiding any negative repercussions - rather than addressing the footprint issue. Thus, describing it as just "climate change" at this point is some lib brained poo poo which I am totally sick of. :colbert:

Rime has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Sep 20, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Love to watch the accelerating collapse

https://twitter.com/ido_cohen2/status/1439863554606305286?s=19

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cascade Failure posted:

I, as well, already regret bookmarking this thread. Watched the dome video and found myself just kinda going "Yep, sounds about right".

To contribute, for extra lols check out this 1,000 page report from the prestigious (no, really) Geological Survey of Finland on replacing existing fossil fuels as an energy source: https://tupa.gtk.fi/raportti/arkisto/42_2021.pdf

From the abstract:

Lmao at the last sentence. hosed indeed and the author knows it lol.

thank you, this report owns

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

im confused

if this specific food supply chain is being disrupted, then i would simply just use another alternative food supply chain. this is how the free market works. as a consumer, i have the freedom and ability to pick whichever suppliers I want.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cascade Failure posted:

I, as well, already regret bookmarking this thread. Watched the dome video and found myself just kinda going "Yep, sounds about right".

To contribute, for extra lols check out this 1,000 page report from the prestigious (no, really) Geological Survey of Finland on replacing existing fossil fuels as an energy source: https://tupa.gtk.fi/raportti/arkisto/42_2021.pdf

From the abstract:

Lmao at the last sentence. hosed indeed and the author knows it lol.

Authoritative source which validates the findings in Through The Eye Of A Needle, which I've been getting pushback on despite the authors pedigrees. Good poo poo. :tipshat:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Hubbert posted:

im confused

if this specific food supply chain is being disrupted, then i would simply just use another alternative food supply chain. this is how the free market works. as a consumer, i have the freedom and ability to pick whichever suppliers I want.

Lmao

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
The thing that hit me recently is the realization that thermonuclear war is one of the softer landings for the species at this point - if it happens soon enough to effectively de-industrialize and end emissions anyway. Except lol, no, even that wouldn't be enough w/o some magical carbon capture tech after the exchange.

That's some dark poo poo.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Buffer posted:

The thing that hit me recently is the realization that thermonuclear war is one of the softer landings for the species at this point - if it happens soon enough to effectively de-industrialize and end emissions anyway. Except lol, no, even that wouldn't be enough w/o some magical carbon capture tech after the exchange.

I'm for team Gamma Ray Burst.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rectal Death Adept posted:

"You mean everyone on the side that got hit is dead and we can go steal all their poo poo?" :v:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

pffft false vacuum decay or bust

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"You mean everyone on the side that got hit is dead and we can go steal all their poo poo?" :v:

we’ve likely been hit by them in the past

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
"lol lmao" is the most cathartic phrase of the 21st century

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTXdah8LXZk

:slick:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
waking up monday morning and putting on the dome video was the perfect way to start my week

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Buffer posted:

Yeah, for everything there is a season. Unless for some reason there are no seasons.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhdvLTJYUZQ

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

petit choux posted:

I think the only point of the video is to face facts for once instead of buying into the MIC's lies. Just for its own sake. There is no happy ending and there's no personal happiness when you know that all your works and even your progeny will be snuffed out due to a world view that you take part in and benefit from.

I really dont understand this point of view. There is plenty I still want to do for myself in this life, climate change or not. If I am lucky, most of the worst effects wont happen till after I am dead. There is also absolutely nothing I can do about any of this and I am not directly responsible for decades of bad neglectful climate policy, so I can sleep easy at night. I dont have kids and am not planning to have any, so that is someone elses problem to be honest. And if you are having kids fully knowing whats around the corner, lol, lmao - I guess your children will truly know what its like to be owned.

You can rattle your tiny cage all you want, but no one is listening and the world is already dead, so I am not sure what you are trying to achieve by being miserable about it. Go out and have some fun!

Captain Gordon has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Sep 20, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Funky See Funky Do posted:

:lol:

You're correct, as long as there's some habitat that won't immediately kill humans, you'll find them there.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Captain Gordon posted:

I really dont understand this point of view. There is plenty I still want to do for myself in this life, climate change or not. If I am lucky, most of the worst effects wont happen till after I am dead.

Out of curiosity, how old are you and what do you consider "most of the worst effects"?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
your life still has meaning. everything was going to end on a long enough time scale anyway. if a comet hit the earth tomorrow i'd still be glad for the good things that i did in my life

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

if a comet hit the earth tomorrow i'd still be glad for the good things that i did in my life

Whenever those jerks at Arby's try to shame me for the size of my orders I try that line too.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Captain Gordon posted:

I really dont understand this point of view. There is plenty I still want to do for myself in this life, climate change or not. If I am lucky, most of the worst effects wont happen till after I am dead. There is also absolutely nothing I can do about any of this and I am not directly responsible for decades of bad neglectful climate policy, so I can sleep easy at night. I dont have kids and am not planning to have any, so that is someone elses problem to be honest. And if you are having kids fully knowing whats around the corner, lol, lmao - I guess your children will truly know what its like to be owned.

where do you draw the line for individual responsibility? what if you work for an oil company? obviously being a clerk or pump attendant has no degree of responsibility. how about a regional manager? a marketing executive at international headquarters? the children of executives who have benefited disproportionately from said system?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Whenever those jerks at Arby's try to shame me for the size of my orders I try that line too.

i just go through the drive-thru multiple times in disguises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/ezequieleg968/status/1439699669899255814

https://twitter.com/ezequieleg968/status/1439700232284086282

https://twitter.com/Objeparanormal/status/1439613046989656067