Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
one of the most ingenious bugs of all time to be fair, it wasn't like they left a big cartoon microphone in there. they didn't find it because it relied on a technology that the american government didn't even fully understand yet, thus it's amazing name. it was totally passive and relied on energy broadcast from afar which is similar to RFID chips.

it would probably have lasted for decades if someone didn't accidentally tune into the signal, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

one of the most ingenious bugs of all time to be fair, it wasn't like they left a big cartoon microphone in there. they didn't find it because it relied on a technology that the american government didn't even fully understand yet, thus it's amazing name. it was totally passive and relied on energy broadcast from afar which is similar to RFID chips.

it would probably have lasted for decades if someone didn't accidentally tune into the signal, lol.

wikipedia posted:

The Thing was designed by Soviet Russian inventor Léon Theremin,[4] best known for his invention of the theremin, an electronic musical instrument.

Ah, so a wizard did it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

As with all genius inventors, they rewarded Theremin by putting him in a camp.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

3D Megadoodoo posted:

As with all genius inventors, they rewarded Theremin by putting him in a camp.

afaik he invented the spying device when he was in the camp (it was a gulag for scientists to do research for the soviets). I'm not sure why he got put in the camp initially - it might have been for moving to the US for a while, it might have been for inventing electronic music. Maybe he just looked at someone funny.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Red Bones posted:

afaik he invented the spying device when he was in the camp (it was a gulag for scientists to do research for the soviets). I'm not sure why he got put in the camp initially - it might have been for moving to the US for a while, it might have been for inventing electronic music. Maybe he just looked at someone funny.

Perhaps Theremin got too close to something and it raised an alarm

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Perhaps Theremin got too close to something and it raised an alarm

Definitely not good vibrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Today, in "Posting through Centuries",

https://twitter.com/MichaelShindler/status/1442474465506562049

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the eight century king Eysteinn Beli conquered a place in Norway called Trondheim. He then put his son, Onund, on the throne. Unfortunately enraged peasants killed Onund. Angered by this Eysteinn made the peasant choose between his slave, Thorer Faxe, or his dog, Saurr, to sit on the throne. The peasants chose the dog. Saurr was given a golden necklace and sat on the throne for three years before wolves broke into the trone room and tore him to pieces.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Who did the wolves choose for the throne?

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!
"My dog is now your king" sounds like a light punishment for killing the king's son tbh.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You expect me to bow? Wow.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Blues Hammer posted:

"My dog is now your king" sounds like a light punishment for killing the king's son tbh.

Rex was a tyrant

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blues Hammer posted:

It was meant to humble the peasants. Like "you guys are so lovely that the only ones fit to rule you is my dog\slave."

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah "wolves" "broke into" the throne room

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Still seems like a good deal for the peasants
Instead of a king demanding taxes and tithes and bowing and scraping they get a dog who just wants pets, some meat and being told they’re a good dog every day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

It was meant to humble the peasants. Like "you guys are so lovely that the only ones fit to rule you is my dog\slave."

That's an Accidentally Left-Wing ruling if I ever saw one.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
sic semper canis tyrannis

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Helith posted:

Still seems like a good deal for the peasants
Instead of a king demanding taxes and tithes and bowing and scraping they get a dog who just wants pets, some meat and being told they’re a good dog every day.

You trying telling a monarch they're a good boy. It's agonizing

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

You trying telling a monarch they're a good boy. It's agonizing
According to one version of the story, anyone that failed to show respect to the dog king was mutilated.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alhazred posted:

According to one version of the story, anyone that failed to show respect to the dog king was mutilated.

sounds pretty ruff

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
There's a black metal band called Wolves in the Throne Room, I wonder if this was their inspiration.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Yeah I didnt wanna ask and seem like a metal dork.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Silly Newbie posted:

There's a black metal band called Wolves in the Throne Room, I wonder if this was their inspiration.

where are they from and that should tell ya immediately

also isnt that a saying? "You have wolves in the throne room"? aka like watch your rear end the people you trust will kill you

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

verbal enema posted:

where are they from and that should tell ya immediately

also isnt that a saying? "You have wolves in the throne room"? aka like watch your rear end the people you trust will kill you

They're from Olympia and they're pretty far up their own asses. That's not a commentary on their music, which I like, but they don't allow flash photography at their shows and prefer them to be lit with fire rather than stage lighting.
Named after slightly obscure Norwegian history is pretty on target.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I wish all bands would have a zero-tolerance policy against flash photography :colbert:

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Silly Newbie posted:

They're from Olympia and they're pretty far up their own asses. That's not a commentary on their music, which I like, but they don't allow flash photography at their shows and prefer them to be lit with fire rather than stage lighting.
Named after slightly obscure Norwegian history is pretty on target.

While inarguably a symptom of autoanaloccupation, I dunno if there's another genre of music better suited to this kind of glorious, stupid theatrical business. They just need to find a way to play this kind of music on instruments made of bone, skin and sinew.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CoolCab posted:

yeah "wolves" "broke into" the throne room

I somehow doubt that a group of people that openly killed the king's son would try and cover up an assassination of the king's dog.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Alhazred posted:

I somehow doubt that a group of people that openly killed the king's son would try and cover up an assassination of the king's dog.

He was a fluffy boy though, that tyrannicide is a harder sell

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

It probably wasn't the best dog the king had considering Saurr literally means "poo poo".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KozmoNaut posted:

I wish all bands would have a zero-tolerance policy against flash photography :colbert:

Like 3/4 of my snapchat friends stories pre-covid was a really bad series of videos of a show, with everyone also raising their phones to get shots and videos of the band. Further obscuring the band ofc.

Just watch the loving show! Everyone can use spotify and google!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I mean maybe it wasn’t to hide it, but to make it more interesting.

Sometimes you need the story to be more fun

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean maybe it wasn’t to hide it, but to make it more interesting.

Sometimes you need the story to be more fun

I mean, I wouldn't mind be called Ardent "King-Killer" Communist, but I'd probably shy away from Ardent "Dog-killer" Communist.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think that would be Gâtinais français, which is quite pretty but definitely replanted.

Long time ago but 65 miles SSW would put you in what I meant. It's about 1500 sqm and contains Romorantin-lanthenay.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Milo and POTUS posted:

Long time ago but 65 miles SSW would put you in what I meant. It's about 1500 sqm and contains Romorantin-lanthenay.

That area between the Loire and Cher is mostly wetland (with a few really gorgeous castles and their associated hunting grounds). I don't think it's a monolithic forest so much as it's less amenable to agriculture than the surrounding land, and thus hasn't been as thoroughly exploited.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

One for Sweden - Kålpudding (basically cabbage casserole) most likely came from deconstructed dolmades from Turkey. This was introduced to Sweden after the king at the time, Charles the 12th was forced to flee to the Ottoman empire for six years to escape the Russians, and when he returned, he brought along recipes of the food he liked while he was there.

This is also apparently where Swedish meatballs originally came from, as well.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Samovar posted:

One for Sweden - Kålpudding (basically cabbage casserole) most likely came from deconstructed dolmades from Turkey. This was introduced to Sweden after the king at the time, Charles the 12th was forced to flee to the Ottoman empire for six years to escape the Russians, and when he returned, he brought along recipes of the food he liked while he was there.

This is also apparently where Swedish meatballs originally came from, as well.

I'd believe the former, but the meatballs thing... I doubt that one. There is approximately zero flavour similarity between any dolma and Swedish meatballs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why are they called "Swedish meatballs" anyway?

I mean, is there some perceived difference between "Swedish" meatballs and otherish meatballs? I haven't noticed one.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They're only sparkling meatballs unless they're from an IKEA

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why are they called "Swedish meatballs" anyway?

I mean, is there some perceived difference between "Swedish" meatballs and otherish meatballs? I haven't noticed one.

in this context "Swedish" mostly seems to mean "not served with tomato-based sauce."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

in this context "Swedish" mostly seems to mean "not served with tomato-based sauce."

Instead they serve it with lingonberry jam. If you get them in Actual Sweden that is.