Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

I think it's really important to realize that unless you work in healthcare or communicate daily on a personal level w/ someone who does, you are underestimating the strain on medical staff at the moment.

Even if you think you get it, you're off by an order of magnitude. Vacancies tell part of the story, and 'understaffed' metrics kind of tell part, but the whole truth is way worse. Even in 'better' places, enough people are quitting weekly that you'll see like, 5 vacancies for a role, then more will quit but the hospital will shove some of those positions on to already-overburdened staff and not increase the vacancies, and after a month they'll have hired 3 new people who all quit within 3-4 days. Nobody new is coming in to the system and they're losing 1-3% of their workforce a week at a minimum.

I've heard stories even of people getting called in for a shift because *every single person it called out or quit,* then they get asked to work a double. Hell, a large hospital around here just started authorizing overtime, which means for a huge portion of this pandemic people weren't even getting paid for the extra shifts they were doing. The longer this goes, the more gruesome it's going to become, because even if the number hospitalized goes down, the capacity hospitals have to treat patients is going down faster.

I'm not looking forward to this winter.

I am wondering about this in the school system. Since there isn't going to be any statewide closure of schools, much less mandatory mask wearing, I think we're just going to see the situation we see now with these rolling closures getting more and more frequent as more teachers and staff get infected and/or have to quarantine. When I am in meetings everyone is open about how burned out they are even though the school year only began a few weeks ago for many of the schools that I service. I find myself just trying to fill the gaps right now.

I'm not comparing the risks and burnout that hospital staff are facing to that of teachers, especially ME of all people since I'm not assigned to any one room anymore, but I wonder how the rest of the year is going to play out. Not to mention next year. It is survival mode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Serf posted:

we got a live one lol

no i just know saying anything mean about China gets people very internet mad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

There are multiple American expats living in China all over the forums right now who can tell you what life is like and has been like there for the past year or more (mostly back to normal).

Serf
May 5, 2011

actionjackson posted:

yes, people tend to get rankled over racism

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

empty whippet box posted:

good I hope they both keep going up until it's at least somewhere close to what people deserve for doing those jobs. nowhere close yet

Double that poo poo

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There are multiple American expats living in China all over the forums right now who can tell you what life is like and has been like there for the past year or more (mostly back to normal).

everyone knows that if you live in china you have to send all of your forum posts to the government censor's office where they must be pored over and redacted, by communists

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Mr. Lobe posted:

This thread is making me lose a lot of respect for nurses

:smith:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I missed this happening a couple days ago. You doing OK, Oz?

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1439101005476646912

Doesn't seem like they subdued much of anything.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Lobe posted:

to be honest i never had much for them anyway, given how theiy tend to be wom-, well, lets just say ill be "cancelled" if i finish this sentence

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i'm sure China sucks in a million different ways but going hard on making GBS threads on China at the exact same time that the US is massively, comprehensively failing at literally everything rings amazingly hollow

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

My sister is a nurse who has been against vaccines her entire life. She's also really racist. I think there are more good one than bad.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KellyO/status/1440002602796716032
lmao, but none of you get to!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Palestinian news source sharing info from a press conference about COVID in Gaza. I just use twitter's translate feature, so stuff could be mistranslated, but seems like kids are getting hit really hard there this wave.

https://twitter.com/ShehabAgency/status/1439998104682520579?s=20

quote:

Sherine Abed, Head of the Corona Control Committee at Al-Nasr Children’s Hospital, Shehab: There is a daily increase in the number of injuries attended to Al-Nasr and Al-Rantisi Hospitals from children infected with Corona, and a noticeable increase in the number of latent and frequent injuries to the reception department and referred to the triage department

The increase in Corona injuries among children in the current wave in Gaza is higher than the previous waves of corona injuries in children are high fever, then cold, cold or sore throat, and a small percentage suffer from difficulty breathing.

Despite the severity, violence, and speed of the spread of the new corona virus among children, the symptoms are still mild, and the child’s stay in the hospital is from two to three days and increases in children with a higher degree of risk

We advise parents who have children with corona to check on their condition, and to give them paracetamol and home supplement, and we advise mothers of infected babies to continue breastfeeding and for older ages with healthy nutrition

There is a remarkable and unprecedented increase in the spread of respiratory infections called minor bronchitis that affect newborns up to two years old.

It appears that there is a viral mutation as a result of global viral mutations and the entry of Corona, which led to the infection of many children and newborns in the third wave in Gaza compared to the first and second waves

Apr 7, 2003

Just an outright 'gently caress you' lmao

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So it turns out the official policy at work is that "the presence of the covid pandemic is not a suitable reason to work from home." I've been granted a temporary work-from-home, only 2 weeks to try to find some other way. It's not looking good.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol how the gently caress do they think this is appropriate after the FDA just thumbs downed everyone else getting them??? how are they so bad at this?? it's like they're taunting us???

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Let them eat cake.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I do not believe this geriatric gently caress hasn't already had one booster, this absolutely #4 for this non-antibody generating corpse of a president.

Apr 7, 2003

100 degrees Calcium posted:

So it turns out the official policy at work is that "the presence of the covid pandemic is not a suitable reason to work from home." I've been granted a temporary work-from-home, only 2 weeks to try to find some other way. It's not looking good.

time for a new job

mystes
May 31, 2006

It sucks but people over 65 are going to be able to get boosters and he's over 65. I assume he's going to schedule it for after the official fda approval.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Serf posted:

both of those jobs are worth $25/hr easily

lets not get too crazy here

25/hr starting plus benefits and a stable + reasonable schedule (so no closing shift followed by opening shift kind of poo poo)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I threw :10bux: towards the covid simulator

My one feature request is a "fast forward two weeks" button so I can speedrun this poo poo

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

tangy yet delightful posted:

I do not believe this geriatric gently caress hasn't already had one booster, this absolutely #4 for this non-antibody generating corpse of a president.

Abbott already had a booster so yeah. This is *at least* booster number 4.

Also other than cost, is there any reason (again I don't know much biology so IDK if like mainlining antibodies is bad or why it would be) why people like Biden and other Important People can't be taking daily doses of regeneron? Assuming there's no side effects, then the only thing being lost is money.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Sounds like your other way needs to be a new job

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It wasn't lost on me that they gave me the same amount of time that I would need to provide notice.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

mystes posted:

It sucks but people over 65 are going to be able to get boosters and he's over 65. I assume he's going to schedule it for after the official fda approval.

he's already had it, along with regular monoclonal antibody treatments and this is another empty syringe :tinfoil:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUCK

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Wonder which number this is gonna be for him.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

papa horny michael posted:

he's already had it, along with regular monoclonal antibody treatments and this is another empty syringe :tinfoil:

That's not even worthy of tinfoil. I mean we know Abbott was triple vaxxed; there is no way on Earth this is legitimately Biden's third dose unless he really is just completely gormless in a way Trump even wasn't. And while I don't think Biden is a genius, I'm still in the 'he's evil, not stupid, and this is a gaslighting campaign by the government, not a total lack of leadership or direction' camp.

I mean, heck, maybe it's his third dose of Pfizer in particular, but I do not for a second believe it is remotely possible that this is his third dose of any COVID-19 vaccine.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

lol how the gently caress do they think this is appropriate after the FDA just thumbs downed everyone else getting them??? how are they so bad at this?? it's like they're taunting us???

FDA out here overestimating how healthy everyone is lmao

We only care about our geriatrics folks cuz they vote

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

He's over 65 and is in a public facing job that is at high risk of being exposed to the virus, so he qualifies.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Someone post the nurse giving someone the shot on tv without the needle in the syringe lol

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!

papa horny michael posted:

the greg abbott thing concluded that all these motherfuckers are titer'd to the gills on designer treatments at all times and this poo poo will be some more "don't be afraid of the vaccine" theater to an audience who has definitely made up their minds

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

blatman posted:

25/hr starting plus benefits and a stable + reasonable schedule (so no closing shift followed by opening shift kind of poo poo)

Also, automatic percentage increases every year. Something like equal to the greatest of: inflation, real estate prices, rental rates, the S&P 500/DJI/other stock index, or 3%.

Edit: Actually, I'm thinking more minimum wage than specific jobs (since any job should pay a comfortable living wage).

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 20, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

He's over 65 and is in a public facing job that is at high risk of being exposed to the virus, so he qualifies.

He qualifies to eat my rear end

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

lmao

just like when public officials went on a "watch me get vaccinated!" campaign back when vaccines were still effectively unavailable for nearly everyone

incredible

Serf
May 5, 2011

blatman posted:

while we're at it, the employees elect their managers from among themselves

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/RyanTClarke/status/1440005294914867200
:stare:

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Want to dump this somewhere because it's been on my mind.

I have a friend who has a kid who is roughly a year or so old, so no vaccination obviously, but he and his wife are. He goes to grappling lessons ever since Open Biden and just got back from a big weekend wedding. No idea if he brought the kid but I guess it would hardly matter.

Also had a call with my mother who lives down in Alabama. She claims she can't wear masks because of asthma, keeps repeating the vaccine is a "personal choice", and just got back from a trip to the beach somewhere. She then informed me that my uncle had to have some heart work done and that the stories of the covid problems and ICUs being full are "a huge exaggeration, the ICU was nearly empty when he was there!" (incidentally, she was a Dem until Obama took office, and loves Trump now). This is a woman who has lied about the stupidest poo poo in the past so I already know not to believe any of it. She's just so desperate to pretend that everyone is overreacting over nothing and that she's so above it all, even though if she catches it she's 100% done for.

I know there's no answer to this stuff, and after watching people I'd otherwise considered intelligent take off their masks to have a close-distance conversation with a stranger, or some into work (with no mask) and announce their partner was sick, I've given up on people entirely. For the record, I'm vaccinated and still wear masks in the drive-through getting takeout. Just totally mentally exhausted and needed to vent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol this will probably be his 3rd booster by now