Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Lammasu posted:

Also in game night clubs are the most idiotic thing ever.

Eh, they worked pretty well in VTMB and the original Deus Ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah that and Second Life. There are online spaces with gathering areas like that which are very important for people and fulfill an important role, especially for people who can't go to real life spaces for a variety of reasons.

The issue I have with SC's version of this is that's not about the people and community, it's about the things, like the sauna and pool and bartenders etc. which are the window dressings of these online community spaces, not the main point.

People bragging about their giant empty ship with giant party rooms care more about the clout of playing at being an uber-rich person, not building a community space. And that's pretty hollow when sitting in a sauna in the game just means the walls have a different texture, no matter how much you paid for it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PastelFairHomalocephale-mobile.mp4

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The issue I have with SC's version of this is that's not about the people and community, it's about the things, like the sauna and pool and bartenders etc. which are the window dressings of these online community spaces, not the main point.

People bragging about their giant empty ship with giant party rooms care more about the clout of playing at being an uber-rich person, not building a community space. And that's pretty hollow when sitting in a sauna in the game just means the walls have a different texture, no matter how much you paid for it.

If they do increase the player count, you know the first thing people will do is have a bigger gathering of everyone who bought the expensive luxury yacht.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Star Citizen is a game for those who want to roleplay crushing the faces of the space poor into the space dirt

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Dr. Honked posted:

Star Citizen is a game for those who want to roleplay crushing the faces of the space poor into the space dirt

https://twitter.com/DaPoetsTerrence/status/1438441625978507268

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dr. Honked posted:

If you want a picture of the Citizers, imagine a glitchy boot stamping a space poor into space dirt— *forever.

*or until Ortwin turns into a bat and vanishes into the night with all the money

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Is it just me, or does Red Dead Redemption 2 look years ahead of Star Citizen in gameplay, sound and graphics yet it was released about 2 years ago on PC and 3 years ago on consoles.

Chris "Maybe Rockstar" Roberts is totally full of poo poo (and vitimans)

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Kosumo posted:

Is it just me, or does Red Dead Redemption 2 look years ahead of Star Citizen in gameplay, sound and graphics yet it was released about 2 years ago on PC and 3 years ago on consoles.

Yeah but see Rockstar takes a long time to make a game and when they release it's not a completely realized simulation of an entire universe, therefore their games are dogshit.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Lammasu posted:

Also in game night clubs are the most idiotic thing ever.

How many hours did you spend in the clubs in Duke Nukem 3D, commando?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

As one SC fan once replied (I'm being serious) : But can you ride your horse and then fly to another planet seamlessly in RDR2?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

trucutru posted:

As one SC fan once replied (I'm being serious) : But can you ride your horse and then fly to another planet seamlessly in RDR2?

Are there even horses in Star Citizen?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Drakkel posted:

Well there are now monkey-paw guy

daft
Oct 16, 2012
game out?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Torquemada posted:

Well there are now monkey-paw guy

There would be horses but they need to add tech to make the horses hair grow in real time as you let it sit in your future stable. They are working on redoing the hair tech so this checks out.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 20, 2021

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

daft posted:

game out?
Depends, its state is not resolved until the observer's intentions are ascertained. Do you want to 'invest' in spaceship JPGs or do you want to criticize its state?

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Pikachu getting apex predatored :kimchi:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
You might think to yourself, flying to another planet in Star Citizen is basically the equivalent of driving to another neighbourhood in GTA. After all, you're seeing the same stores, in a different setting. The same missions, but given to you by a different guy with a different number of jackets. Well WRONG JACKASS.

Star Citizen is way better because they made driving to another neighbourhood take 45 minutes and you drive in a straight line with nothing happening in black nothingness. Your car is bigger and you can walk around in it. The unreachable stuff that you see in the background is way cooler! The distances you're travelling have more digits which means the world is bigger.

loving owned.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Kosumo posted:

Development for GTA 3 started in October of 1998 and it's the same game as RDR2, so RDR2 took 20 years to make.

Meanwhile, SC had to create everything from scratch like the company, engine and unique concepts like space, war and aliens. Look at all CiG has accomplished with only two years of development compared to the twenty it took to make a game I've never even played.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Cutedge posted:

There would be horses but they need to add tech to make the horses hair grow in real time as you let it sit in your future stable. They are working on redoing the hair tech so this checks out.

The horses will all be bald or have poorly crafted helmet-mane.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Every horse hair is fully simulated but because it's Star Citizen physics each strand of hair is constantly whipping around as if the horse is standing in a tornado and if you look a the horse it tanks your FPS to a slide show before crashing the server as each hair strands XYZ coordinates are broadcast to every player in the server every 10 milliseconds.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Wild guess but I imagine that Rockstar didn't begin development of RDR2 by choosing an engine that required them to rescale everything to a minute fraction of the original size in order to produce a world of the required size, thus throwing off all physics calculations as small floating point issues become exponentially more problematic.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
How much longer until their fund raiser Con?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Neat Cybernetics Idea. Credit to my Wife posted:

My wife doesn't care for SC, but had a good idea while we were talking about it. When they implement cybernetics, have it where they are possible to pull off someone. So say you go down, put up a beacon for medievac, and pirates come, they pull off your leg and leave you stranded and go sell it. Or what if they make it where its possible to force cybernetics on people, so it opens up for cybernetic zealots that kidnap you when you're down and force their idea of ascension on you. She has creative ideas. Or even the opposite. Puritans that will tear off your cybernetics and leave you cleansed.

Brought it up to my Org, and they came up with some other complimentary ideas, like ransomware, or even EMP effecting the cybernetics and hindering flying.

Just a concept, don't bash it too hard. I'm sure anything similar needs plenty of refining and effort and balancing, but neat none-the-less, even if mainly approached is S42 and lightly touched in SC

quote:

Wife said "I would be anti-cyber. Start an anti-cyber cult. Basically a group of prates going around ripping off peoples cybernetics for both profit and ideology." She followed up with "WHAT IF you took the parts off and put them back in places that they don't belong." Complete with her arm being on top of her head as she pantomimed this,. She said she'd work an insurance claims job for cybernetics too. Me, personally? Uh, depends on if I'm role playing or not and how well those ideologies and their factions are fleshed out (and how appealing they are, honestly). I can imagine some Warhammer 40k-esque techno-priests (less industrial and biomechanical, more...necro? I dunno Warhammer 40k that much, honestly.)

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

These people really do want the least fun game imaginable to center their entire lives around, huh

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Drakkel posted:

I mean if I can't play as Bravestarr what is even the point of playing a space sim.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This is the plot of a few side quests in Cyberpunk. What an original idea.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
All Cyberpunk side quests fit inside this one crater

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

sounds like wife just wants to take a deep dive into any one of the Deus Ex games. Those plot points, down to anti-cybernetic puritans, is woven through all of the, even the lovely one everyone tries to forget

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Kosumo posted:

Yes but it was released through a publisher. That's not how you save PC gaming.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sum Mors posted:

How much longer until their fund raiser Con?

The con started with the fundraiser, 9 years ago.

.random
May 7, 2007

Thought it sounded dumb until it got to the insurance claims job part and now I’m VERY invested in this idea. I’d LOVE to work as cybernetics actuary, making those sweet, sweet risk models and then going to the bar for a drink afterwards to cry about my wasted star citizen life.

:shlick:

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Tippis posted:

The con started with the fundraiser, 9 years ago.

I see what you did there! But seriously, the con with the capital C. When does that train wreck get streamed?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sum Mors posted:

I see what you did there! But seriously, the con with the capital C. When does that train wreck get streamed?

October 9, but the obviously, it's so far into the future that they're no prepared to offer any details yet… :haw:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

October 9, but the obviously, it's so far into the future that they're no prepared to offer any details yet… :haw:

quote:

It promises to be out of this world, or perhaps out of this system…

lol, Pyro is finally coming! Only 2 years after they first teased it. Can't wait to visit another barren star system with nothing to do in it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sadly Spectrum isn't very fun to read right now. Citizens are in a huge war over some community ship poll where the ship that gets the most votes will get a free skin sometime in the vague future. This is all anyone is talking about and the forum is inundated with posts begging people to vote for their ship or not vote for some other ship and accusations of bot voting. It's all very boring and also extremely on brand for Star Citizen.

Edit: I just checked only 1 post out of the top 15 on Spectrum General right now are about this dumb ship contest.

Popete fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 20, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
My god, how do people find it that interesting

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

My god, how do people find it that interesting

It really highlights what Star Citizen is all about, it's about buying ships and flaunting them to other backers. Lots of posts about people buying these ships just in the hopes that they win the ship contest so they can get the exclusive skin since you need to have owned the ship before the contest ends. This entire project appears to be running off of FOMO.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I did notice the other day in RDR2 roleplay, a player with four belt buckles on. Haven't seen a Star Citizen player/character with that many belts ....... yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Popete posted:

Sadly Spectrum isn't very fun to read right now. Citizens are in a huge war over some community ship poll where the ship that gets the most votes will get a free skin sometime in the vague future. This is all anyone is talking about and the forum is inundated with posts begging people to vote for their ship or not vote for some other ship and accusations of bot voting. It's all very boring and also extremely on brand for Star Citizen.

Edit: I just checked only 1 post out of the top 15 on Spectrum General right now are about this dumb ship contest.

:monocle: CIG conducting a shady poll!! Sir I am stunned at the very suggestion.