Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
add a special event where half your workers to go a big dumb motorcycle rally :v:

edit: tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
You clearly put a lot of work into that game and I just want to say it looks really cool.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I would totally play that.

Also my best friend and spiritually identical twin popped hot for delta today. She has six high risk comorbidities but is double vaxxed with Moderna. She says there's no cough or chest congestion but her sinuses feel infected and burning. If she dies idk what I'm gonna do

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That game looks sick, I will check it out for sure, and assume it will make it into the OP

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I’m not sure it effectively matters as people are still being denied care that is sorely needed at hospitals due to overcrowding. Many stories have come out of folks dying in the waiting room.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but it took my 2yo daughter 4 hours to be seen in the ER after having a seizure. And of course, they could only "see" her in the waiting room since the hospital was packed to the brim with COVID patients. She ended up being ok.

It promptly moved my needle from "ok if you don't want the vaccine, sure whatever, that's your choice, but I probably won't hang out with you" to "I want vaccine mandates for everything resembling a normal society."

gently caress these people.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Failed Imagineer posted:

That game looks sick, I will check it out for sure, and assume it will make it into the OP

It will be added to the OP when I can get back to my PC, absolutely.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

It will be added to the OP when I can get back to my PC, absolutely.

Thanks all! I still have more to add, but I'm glad its being received positively!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Coldrice posted:

Thanks all! I still have more to add, but I'm glad its being received positively!

Absolutely. Games/simulations as a coercive tool to help people understand Covid probably has a lot of untapped potential. Being able to see and interact with something like that could be beneficial to all sorts of demographics.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Checking the game out - took me a minute to realize you have to seed it instead of starting with an empty room

This looks like it is going to be fun

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Professor Beetus posted:

Absolutely. Games/simulations as a coercive tool to help people understand Covid probably has a lot of untapped potential. Being able to see and interact with something like that could be beneficial to all sorts of demographics.

The game taught me that separating workstations is pointless, as everyone has to go in and out of the same door anyway. :dehumanize:

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
So the community that I was a part if that kicked me out in March 2020 for opposing qanon nonsense is holding an event in October.

https://collectthecollective.com/

In Tennessee.

This is the "tik tok cult" thingy people were freaking about last march.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Tnega posted:

The game taught me that separating workstations is pointless, as everyone has to go in and out of the same door anyway. :dehumanize:

Ha ha yeah I’ve learned not queuing properly in and out of doors is a huge problem.

I’ve been working all not on making sure the day covid spreads from character to character is more “realistic.” You should see less of a dramatic “everyone gets Covid in one go” and more of a growing upward curve.

Going in and out of buildings still seems to gently caress everyone up though after a day or two

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So this is fun

https://twitter.com/brettkelman/status/1440134938196692999?s=21

https://twitter.com/brettkelman/status/1440137177527029764?s=21

https://twitter.com/brettkelman/status/1440147458999291914?s=21

I’m posting multiple tweets here because the story itself is behind a massive paywall.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lol if only the U.S. had a national vaccination database.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are there any numbers showing how effective these treatments have actually been during this wave? The south is still stacking bodies by the truckload but I'm sure only a minority seek treatment early on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

This is a conversation going on with a family member (pink). He's got COVID real bad, is heavily anti-vaxx and refuses to talk to a doctor or go to the hospital (his wife is currently there). But "no one has talked to him about anything" and of course good ol' monoclonal antibodies come into play.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
mAbs aren't very effective in the later stages of infection

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Failed Imagineer posted:

mAbs aren't very effective in the later stages of infection

Yeah their effectiveness is pretty much limited to early diagnoses and symptoms for people who are vulnerable right?

I can’t believe how stupid everything is and like honestly with mask mandates becoming, in some cases, a literal loving knife fight I’ve lost all hope of humanity doing anything to save itself in the face of impending climate catastrophe.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
So now the meta is to hide your vaxx status from your doctor so you can get mabs?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah I'm pretty sure the deal is they help you fight off the disease early by providing you antibodies you don't have yet. If you wait to get them until you're already well into fighting the disease, your body is already turning out millions of antibodies so what is a few more gonna do

Anyway I misread that headline three times and couldn't figure out why a Republican government would withhold monoclonals from its own unvaccinated voting base or why we were supposed to be mad about it, then I finally realized that they're banning vaccinated people from treatment

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
How effective are monoclonal antibodies if you already have a good antibody response? I literally know nothing about them so don't really have an opinion one way or another, but my stupid uniformed guess would be that they would be redundant if you already have antibodies due to vaccination. Waning antibody response is for sure a factor I guess.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I just got back from northern Michigan.

Good news the pandemic is over there and if you wear a mask in public you get a lot of nasty faces which you can make out clearly.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

enki42 posted:

How effective are monoclonal antibodies if you already have a good antibody response? I literally know nothing about them so don't really have an opinion one way or another, but my stupid uniformed guess would be that they would be redundant if you already have antibodies due to vaccination. Waning antibody response is for sure a factor I guess.

That hasn’t been studied to my knowledge, but generally speaking they may provide some added benefit, though it’s unclear how much. I think most people with COVID would prefer to have the extra treatment on the off chance it prevents a hospitalization and they may help in case there’s a variant you have less protection towards or if you never developed a good response despite vaccination, but from a population health point of view it becomes an interesting question regarding how to best distribute them.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I doubt anyone who is unvaccinated with covid has any degree of foresight or goodwill towards their fellow persons.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

kiimo posted:

I just got back from northern Michigan.

Good news the pandemic is over there and if you wear a mask in public you get a lot of nasty faces which you can make out clearly.

UP, or just the top of the mitten?

I was born in southern Michigan; always dreamed of someday living way up north (though tbh I'm not sure how I would manage that before retirement age since every time I visit up there I just look around wondering where I would actually WORK if I were to move) but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't be rethinking that . . .

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I doubt anyone who is unvaccinated with covid has any degree of foresight or goodwill towards their fellow persons.

This heavily depends on the reason you're unvaccinated. Not everyone is protesting in front of hospitals and calling people sheep.

Besides which, allocating healthcare based on the perceived morality of the patient is some hosed up poo poo regardless of how bad the patient is.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This makes me feel pretty conflicted. On one hand, it seems kinda lovely that people who chose to spit (cough?) in the face of public health shouldn't get priority, but otoh if the treatments are largely unnecessary for most vaccinated people and still being prioritized for immunocompromised vaccinated people, this does seem fairly ethical?

I'm curious to see what y'all make of it in here.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

This makes me feel pretty conflicted. On one hand, it seems kinda lovely that people who chose to spit (cough?) in the face of public health shouldn't get priority, but otoh if the treatments are largely unnecessary for most vaccinated people and still being prioritized for immunocompromised vaccinated people, this does seem fairly ethical?

Sadly I think it encourages more deceit.

First there was a risk of deceit about vaccination status to get a booster.

Now there is a risk of deceit about vaccination status to ensure those that did their best to protect themselves and their family don’t feel like they got screwed.

It’s a mess of a situation that will continue to increase the longer the Biden administration, CDC, FDA, and government institutions fail to protect the citizens.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Here's a bit more information about the Tennessee policy and the NIH policy it is based on. Personally I think it's clear that ethical public health policy must prioritize vaccination policy when considering medicinal triage. Any treatment of vaccinated patients as second-class is going to result in vaccine resistance and more infections, hospitalizations, and deaths overall. Society cannot abide a medical system that only treats the citizens that refuse all preventative treatment, or forces people or their doctors to lie in order to receive or provide the best standard of care.

Tennessee Department of Health posted:

“Our recommendation to monoclonal antibody providers or individual facilities across the state is if they need to prioritize distribution of the treatment, the NIH guidelines are the recommended approach for that prioritization, including prioritizing those who are most likely to be hospitalized. Ultimately, this comes down to providers’ clinical judgment to ensure those most at risk are receiving this treatment. Providers across the state continue to receive supply of the treatment; however, we do not have an update on allocation for this week"

https://www.wjhl.com/local-coronavirus-coverage/tennessee-releases-guidance-for-monoclonal-antibody-treatment/

National Institute of Health posted:

"While there are currently no shortages of these monoclonal antibodies, logistical constraints (e.g., limited space, not enough staff who can administer therapy) can make it difficult to administer these agents to all eligible patients. In situations where it is necessary to triage eligible patients, the Panel suggests:

Prioritizing the treatment of COVID-19 over PEP of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
Prioritizing the following groups over vaccinated individuals who are expected to have mounted an adequate immune response:
Unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated individuals who are at high risk of progressing to severe COVID-19
Vaccinated individuals who are not expected to mount an adequate immune response (e.g., immunocompromised individuals).
Providers should use their clinical judgment when prioritizing treatment or PEP in a specific situation. When there are no logistical constraints for administering therapy, these considerations should not limit the provision of anti-SARS-CoV-2 monoclonal antibodies."

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/statement-on-the-prioritization-of-anti-sars-cov-2-monoclonal-antibodies/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 21, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Kaal posted:

Here's a bit more information about the Tennessee policy and the NIH policy it is based on. Personally I think it's clear that ethical public health policy must prioritize vaccination policy when considering medicinal triage. Any treatment of vaccinated patients as second-class is going to result in vaccine resistance and more infections, hospitalizations, and deaths overall. Society cannot abide a medical system that only treats the citizens that refuse all preventative treatment, or forces people or their doctors to lie in order to receive or provide the best standard of care.

I could definitely support a system that doesn't consider vaccination status one way or another when it comes to allocating resources, but that will still result in a disproportionate amount of resources being applied to unvaccinated cases (simply because they're far more likely to have worse outcomes and require more intensive care). Going beyond that to say that we must specifically have equity between vaccinated cases and unvaccinated cases, even if it results in people who need interventions less getting prioritized goes too far IMO.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
A 20k treatment paid by taxpayers for something that could've easily been prevented by a quick visit to Walgreens. It is being triaged due to the amount it's being used so for intense cases they might be hosed if there's none around.

Choosing to be unvaccinated right now means you or your relatives are selfish pieces of poo poo.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

For sure (for most people who are unvaccinated), I just disagree that being a selfish piece of poo poo means you shouldn't receive healthcare. You could make the exact same argument about an ICU bed, it isn't even a slippery slope to denying healthcare altogether, it's applying the same logic to other things.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

Most illnesses people get before 70 are caused at some level by lifestyle. Should we not prioritize them? After all, they are taking resources from the select few people living good protestant lives free from indulgence.

If someone lives in an area with a higher rate of cancer, should we penalize them for not realizing that and deny them chemo?

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 21, 2021

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

At least we can all trust that the Democratic Party has our best interests and health in mind. Unlike DeSantis:

https://twitter.com/emmagf/status/1439956984711819271?s=20

Oh.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The choice to limit antibody therapy stockpiles to states where the citizenry (and often times the local governments) have decided to forego the far less costly and (almost assuredly) far more effective longer term therapy is a sound one. Relying on monoclonal antibody therapies is playing a way more difficult game of whack a mole than vaccination. At some point, we must encourage people to get vaccinated by making it untenable to not be vaccinated, and not covering the non-vaccine side of COVID therapies is one of them.

Regarding Tennessee's choice to limit monoclonal antibodies only to the unvaccinated and not the vaccinated? In a sane state with a lot of vaxxed folks where the unvaccinated are largely those who can't get vaccinated would make total sense, but in this case, Tennessee is only at 44% fully vaxxed (52% one shot). While there have not been studies on people who were previously vaccinated (and otherwise healthy) being treated with monoclonals, the monoclonals we use are for spike protein, which we also have been vaccinating for. Tennessee made the choice that would limit the number of severe cases and deaths given they refuse to mandate vaccinations.

Largely the only scenario I can see where a fully vaccinated person would benefit significantly would be if they simply did not make antibodies or they were at 0 levels, and for the overwhelming majority of otherwise healthy, vaccinated people, they're going to make antibodies, they're still going to have antibodies (even if a bit less than before), and due to how our immune system works to modify in the expectation of variants, likely putting out more effective antibodies than the monoclonal.

It's unlikely there'd be negative consequence from a vaxxed person getting a monoclonal. It would just be less likely to help much, imo. Antibody production ramps up so fast that there would probably be little temporal benefit, though there probably would be some.

So overall, in a vacuum the choice to do this is not bad per se because it's about using a resource in the way it will be most effective. But, when combined with the choice to avoid vaccination, it's a, "you made a bad choice, and now you're still sticking with that bad choice which means you're choosing a dumb thing."

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Vasukhani posted:

Most illnesses people get before 70 are caused by lifestyle. Should we not prioritize them? After all, they are taking resources from the select few people living good protestant lives free from indulgence.

Society routines triages patients based on best outcomes and past behavior, for example prioritizing young and healthy non-smokers for lung transplants. In terms of monoclonals, it's clear that they are mostly effective on patients that are recently diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2 and are non-symptomatic. Those are the people who should be prioritized for the medicine.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is there a good site to compare covid numbers based on *city*? Not country or state.

International specifically.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Kaal posted:

Society routines triages patients based on best outcomes and past behavior, for example prioritizing young and healthy non-smokers for lung transplants. In terms of monoclonals, it's clear that they are mostly effective on patients that are recently diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2 and are non-symptomatic. Those are the people who should be prioritized for the medicine.

Think about how much space in hospitals could be freed up by not treating people who drive to work or choose to live in poor places!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vasukhani posted:

Most illnesses people get before 70 are caused at some level by lifestyle. Should we not prioritize them? After all, they are taking resources from the select few people living good protestant lives free from indulgence.

If someone lives in an area with a higher rate of cancer, should we penalize them for not realizing that and deny them chemo?

I think your point is a good one, although in this case we are talking about chemo for people who deny cancer exists and guzzle carcinogens, and then upon getting cancer, talk about how much they love cancer and that most people get cancer and the liberal media just wants to use cancer fears to install the New World Order.

I think it's normal to feel conflicted about this, but I still think it's the purview of medical professionals on the ground doing triage first and foremost.

Of course without a national vaccine database this is all purely unenforceable and as VBC pointed out, it's going to lead to vaccinated patients lying about it if they end up hospitalized so that they aren't denied potentially life saving medications.

Probably a good reminder that while no one wants to get covid, every vaccinated person in this thread is very likely to survive a brush with covid, and if you are utilizing N95 or better protection when you have no choice but to share air with people, then you will likely never be in a situation where this will matter. It's obviously still debatable for the healthcare policy aspects, but this should factor very little into personal risk assessments, especially if you don't actually live in Tennessee or other states where this is likely to happen based on vaccination rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Professor Beetus posted:

people who deny cancer exists and guzzle carcinogens

This is the basis of the American diet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)