Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Teslas don't get enough credit, for the number of tesla owners they kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Angepain posted:

starting all my arrays from now on at -1 just to annoy all of you

Arrays on the Archimedes started at -10 for some reason. It also had 26 special extra-fast variables you could use to improve performance, helpfully labelled a to z.

This was a computer designed to teach children how to program, which I feel explains a lot.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Wolfsbane posted:

Arrays on the Archimedes started at -10 for some reason.

If you don't teach your kids about buffer overflow attacks at home, they'll learn about them on the street.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Puntification posted:

Teslas don't get enough credit, for the number of tesla owners they kill.

You're more likely to be killed by a Tesla than a shark. Especially if you drive a Tesla

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Also even if a shark kills you, there's not a good chance of it carrying you to your destination and dropping your headless corpse off at the family gathering or whatever. (Like that Navy Seal who was watching Toy Story 2 when a truck trailer neatly took the top half of his car and body off, but without hindering the car itself)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Also even if a shark kills you, there's not a good chance of it carrying you to your destination and dropping your headless corpse off at the family gathering or whatever. (Like that Navy Seal who was watching Toy Story 2 when a truck trailer neatly took the top half of his car and body off, but without hindering the car itself)

Unless you've pissed off The Meg, the smartest and hardest of all sharks.

Hadn't heard that story though, grim

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
This thread has some weird issues.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the car is sinking after reversing off a jetty and the woman is trying to get to her phone so she can tweet that they are still great cars

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

also the car still somehow bursts into flames

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it makes me so happy that we have our own Tesla defender ITT :allears:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I don't drive, so really don't have much interest in it, but I am a bit interested in green technology stuff, and I've got to say it's pretty bizarre how on SA and left Twitter Teslas are the worst cars ever made and incredibly unsafe and constantly explode, while literally everywhere else I look they're widely considered to be good cars that people like.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Julio Cruz posted:

I wonder what they think of crypto currency

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

When you've dropped 80 grand on something you kinda gotta convince yourself, and therefore others, it was A Good Decision, against all evidence

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

When you've dropped 80 grand on something you kinda gotta convince yourself, and therefore others, it was A Good Decision, against all evidence

Ah, bitcoin “”investors””

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the car is sinking after reversing off a jetty and the woman is trying to get to her phone so she can tweet that they are still great cars

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Err... That's nonsense, her phone would be in the car because it's her keyless entry... er key

Anyway she could have just stayed in the car and tweeted from the in car screen

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't drive, so really don't have much interest in it, but I am a bit interested in green technology stuff, and I've got to say it's pretty bizarre how on SA and left Twitter Teslas are the worst cars ever made and incredibly unsafe and constantly explode, while literally everywhere else I look they're widely considered to be good cars that people like.

I think that's mostly that the kind of person who buys a tesla is very invested in it being good, despite them occasionally going on fire and also having build quality you would expect out of british leyland.

And people like old crap cars too, but that doesn't make them cars with very much actual utility. Stupidly overpriced, badly built electric cars do not seem like they are the solution to anything except certain kinds of people having too much money.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 20, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

They're piss trash for idiots that want to pretend they only thing they need to do to address the climate catastrophe is buy yet another disposable consumer product and make literally no other changes to their lives.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

They’re badly built, have very questionable design decisions re: safety (there’s one model where if the car has no power it is literally impossible to open the door to get out) and their software is trash held together by duct tape. The only reason they’re not bankrupt yet because they’ve leveraged Musk’s cult of personality to make money speculating on cryptocurrency and selling carbon offsets

Latest stupidity was how they put a yoke on one new model rather than a steering wheel even though it’s impractical and makes everyday driving much more difficult BUT IT LOOKS COOL LIKE AN F1 CAR

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

the Tories are also popular in most places that aren't SA or left twitter

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's really gonna suck over the next few years as Teslas become more common, all these middle class pricks with their massive carbon footprints will be guffawing about how much more green they are than us, with their 80k shitboxes that used more resources in it's production than I have even used in my whole life.

But the good news is, there are only 1.4 billion cars on the planet, so by building 1.4 billion electric cars, and throwing all the ICE ones away without selling/passing them on, we can build up a massive carbon deficit that may get paid off in a really long time, if the infrastructure surrounding the cars doesn't go tits up due to societal collapse.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Comrade Fakename posted:

They have the build quality and QC of Dacia while charging a Mercedes Premium. If I've paid 80 grand for a car I don't want bits of it held together by zip ties. And thats not even getting started on them allowing the public to beta test their self driving mode which leads to exciting moments like the car deciding to try and run over pedestrians on a crossing because it got confused by a bus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are people out there who think the guardian is a good paper too. Life is full of very stupid people who apparently have a lot more money than they should.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The government are going to be providing loans to energy firms to take on the customers from firms that have gone bust as none of them want to.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

Because most people don't really look at anything in depth. I thought Tesla's seemed good & fine until I looked into it & found my eyebrow rising so high it fell off my face. Tesla's a cross section of a whole lot of things. Look at that market capitalisation, it's $733bn, which makes it the 7th largest company in the world by value of its stock. The only companies bigger, in ascending order, are Facebook, Amazon, Alphabet, Saudi Aramco, Google & Apple. More than that, it's a larger value than the combined values of the next 6 largest car manufacturers, more than Toyota, Volkswagen, Daimler & 2 Chinese companies I've never heard of combined. This despite the fact that Tesla sold about 510,000 cars worldwide in 2020 compared to Toyota's 9,530,000 in the same time period. Volkswagen group sold 9.3m in the same period. Despite that, Tesla is worth almost twice the value of those 2 behemoths combined.

So despite being the 7th most valuable company in the world & not actually selling very many cars, it must at least be massively profitable. Right? Wrong. Tesla's net income was in the negatives every year until 2020, which we'll come to in a moment. And when I say in the negatives, in the last decade we're talking about losses in the hundreds of millions for 7 out of 10 years. The exceptions were 2020 ($720m profit), 2013 ($74m loss) & 2017 ($1.96bn loss). And lets talk about 2020. They sold more cars then ever, up from 365,000 in 2019 to 510,000. Proportionately a very big rise. So was that because of the big increase in car sales? Probably not. Tesla invested a huge amount in Bitcoin ($1.5bn), making it the 2nd largest corporate investor in the cryptocurrency. Within a month the value of Bitcoin rose from $44k to over $50k, meaning that in that month Tesla made more from crypto than they did in an entire year from selling cars. (I checked & apparently as of just now it's at $44k again so lol) And it hardly needs to be stated what a mockery of any environmental cred that being involved in something as horrifically wasteful as crypto is. And none of this is going into the questionable value & environmental impact of electric cars in the first place. Because that rarely gets mentioned, even as Elon is happily tweeting about supporting coups to get cheap access to lithium.

How the gently caress do you look at this & not go "this seems funky"? This is a company that, at this point, is in too-big-to-fail territory, despite the fact it barely makes anything relative to its competitors. Some how it's a dot com stock that sells cars & it's loving insane.

Now you can just put that down to the general irrationality of the market & to capitalism being loving stupid, but this is obviously just the financials. Plenty people pay far more attention to the safety poo poo than me but you can just look at the Tesla Wikipedia page to see a whole host of examples of hosed up environmental regulation violations, workers rights violations, more lawsuits than you can shake a stick at, and plenty of critiques of everything from such left Twitter personalities & SA users as the SEC, hedge fund managers, a legal professor from the University of Southern California, Bloomberg News & What Car? magazine.

Part of it is obviously because Elon Musk is a magnet, and as much as he attracts his fanboys he also attracts haters, because he's a spectacularly stupid self-important libertarian dipshit mostly who thinks the rules shouldn't apply to him. But just because he's an easy character to dislike doesn't mean the criticism isn't valid, just means there's more desire to find the dirt that's there.

serious gaylord posted:

They have the build quality and QC of Dacia while charging a Mercedes Premium.

This seems unfair to Dacia.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

also the car still somehow bursts into flames

You say "somehow" but one of the defining features of Tesla battery fires is that they need thousands of gallons of water to extinguish so that seems plausible.

Also, doesn't Tesla make most of its profit off selling carbon credits to other car companies in a ridiculous greenwashing swindle?

Kinda tired of thinking about Tesla tho

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

forkboy84 posted:

Because most people don't really look at anything in depth. I thought Tesla's seemed good & fine until I looked into it & found my eyebrow rising so high it fell off my face. Tesla's a cross section of a whole lot of things. Look at that market capitalisation, it's $733bn, which makes it the 7th largest company in the world by value of its stock. The only companies bigger, in ascending order, are Facebook, Amazon, Alphabet, Saudi Aramco, Google & Apple. More than that, it's a larger value than the combined values of the next 6 largest car manufacturers, more than Toyota, Volkswagen, Daimler & 2 Chinese companies I've never heard of combined. This despite the fact that Tesla sold about 510,000 cars worldwide in 2020 compared to Toyota's 9,530,000 in the same time period. Volkswagen group sold 9.3m in the same period. Despite that, Tesla is worth almost twice the value of those 2 behemoths combined.

So despite being the 7th most valuable company in the world & not actually selling very many cars, it must at least be massively profitable. Right? Wrong. Tesla's net income was in the negatives every year until 2020, which we'll come to in a moment. And when I say in the negatives, in the last decade we're talking about losses in the hundreds of millions for 7 out of 10 years. The exceptions were 2020 ($720m profit), 2013 ($74m loss) & 2017 ($1.96bn loss). And lets talk about 2020. They sold more cars then ever, up from 365,000 in 2019 to 510,000. Proportionately a very big rise. So was that because of the big increase in car sales? Probably not. Tesla invested a huge amount in Bitcoin ($1.5bn), making it the 2nd largest corporate investor in the cryptocurrency. Within a month the value of Bitcoin rose from $44k to over $50k, meaning that in that month Tesla made more from crypto than they did in an entire year from selling cars. (I checked & apparently as of just now it's at $44k again so lol) And it hardly needs to be stated what a mockery of any environmental cred that being involved in something as horrifically wasteful as crypto is. And none of this is going into the questionable value & environmental impact of electric cars in the first place. Because that rarely gets mentioned, even as Elon is happily tweeting about supporting coups to get cheap access to lithium.

How the gently caress do you look at this & not go "this seems funky"? This is a company that, at this point, is in too-big-to-fail territory, despite the fact it barely makes anything relative to its competitors. Some how it's a dot com stock that sells cars & it's loving insane.

Now you can just put that down to the general irrationality of the market & to capitalism being loving stupid, but this is obviously just the financials. Plenty people pay far more attention to the safety poo poo than me but you can just look at the Tesla Wikipedia page to see a whole host of examples of hosed up environmental regulation violations, workers rights violations, more lawsuits than you can shake a stick at, and plenty of critiques of everything from such left Twitter personalities & SA users as the SEC, hedge fund managers, a legal professor from the University of Southern California, Bloomberg News & What Car? magazine.

Part of it is obviously because Elon Musk is a magnet, and as much as he attracts his fanboys he also attracts haters, because he's a spectacularly stupid self-important libertarian dipshit mostly who thinks the rules shouldn't apply to him. But just because he's an easy character to dislike doesn't mean the criticism isn't valid, just means there's more desire to find the dirt that's there.

I smell a short sale opportunity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

serious gaylord posted:

The government are going to be providing loans to energy firms to take on the customers from firms that have gone bust as none of them want to.
Literally anything except bringing back the gas boards at this point.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't forget this little gem from the other day:

https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1437743602579423233?s=19

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Very unfair. Modern Dacias are excellent - basic but entirely modern cars of a sensible size and weight, built on proven Renault platforms, with all the modern safety and emissions gear left on but a lot of the electronic frippery taken off. They're well-made where it counts, even if the dashboards look low-rent and the door card plastics aren't soft-touch.

A much more sustainable form of car than a high-performance £100k electric saloon with computer hardware that bricks itself after a few years because it runs out of re-writable space and can't boot up anymore.

The rest of your post was spot on, too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

"The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain liquid"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

but but but you can't trust left Twitter to be objective, lots of people want their cars to turn head on into oncoming traffic

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

therattle posted:

Obviously Tesla dying is absolutely the funniest option, but gently caress, at this point it's like Bitcoin or the housing market. You know there's a bubble & you know it'll burst at some point but nobody seems to want to admit that because then it will burst & lots of people will lose everything. Or a whole lot anyway. So it just seems like the stock will keep going up & at some point it's collapse would destroy so many pensions that it just wouldn't be acceptable. Hell, we're probably already there.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Exactly this. Market ain't rational, betting money you can't afford to lose that it will become so soon is not smart. Just stick a quid on a 7 team accumulator each week if you want to gamble with preposterous odds.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 20, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
To paraphrase PJ O'Rourke, "the fastest car in the world is a rental car." And this is even faster because it's free! You don't even have to return it with a full tank!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

There’s always that…

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This one has a couple of good laughs

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1439880558901858307

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'm not good at theory and try not to talk about it, but I've been thinking lately that if a Marxist "contradiction" is an "opposition of social forces", we're seeing such a contradiction between people who see climate change as something abstract that may happen in the future, and people who see climate change already happening in the concrete past. Sorry if that's dumb. This is the UK Marxist Thread though.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 20, 2021

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/ruairiwood/status/1439961476110983177?s=21

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol. I'm a spurs fan, everytime I get in the car on a match day, it excitedly like a puppy, plots the route to white Hart lane and tries to set off.

Yeah ok, it would probably end up awkwardly poked into the first hedge at the end of the road without me there to watch over it, but c'mon, how can you not find that kind of child like hope and naivety endearing?

Things can only get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

serious gaylord posted:

It's either this, or the government trying out the special administration arrangements in anger for the first time.

The problem is that if an energy supplier goes under, the supplier who takes on their customers now has to go out to market and buy power and gas to supply those customers as of the following morning. At the same time, the most they're allowed to sell energy to those customers at is the SVT price cap. Since the price cap was set - which for this coming winter was by looking at market prices between February and July - the price of gas has more than tripled, as has the price of power. This means that it's simply not economic to supply new customers on an SVT cap tariff with market prices where they are: it costs about £500 a year more than you're allowed to charge. Winning the SVT supply for a million customers means that you'd promptly make a £500 million loss.

Ofgem, happily, thought of that. Suppliers are allowed to claim expenses that they incur when taking on the customers of a failed supplier through an industry levy. This means that the supplier is made whole again via every residential customer's bills going up a bit in the following financial year. The reason that loans are being talked about is that, while the industry levy makes the supplier taking on the customers whole, they've got to shell out for the energy this winter, to get their money back in April 2023. The number of energy companies who are willing to help out Ofgem and gin up half a billion in cash is going to be relatively small to non-existent.