Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
the other people just off screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The absolute madman, he's really doing it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

First there was no lake anymore and then finally, no rocks.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
His defining feature is his curiosity

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
It looks like hes using a piece of paper to wipe his toe-crotch

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I feel like so much of this could have been made less stupid if he had shown even one panel of the other people in the ship sleeping or being busy or something. As it is, Snout seems to be bored out of his mind without even considering the other people in the ship as a potential entertainment resource. Also just, doing stupid embarrassing bullshit with other people watching him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I don't normally have as much an issue with Snout's tail as others, but boy oh boy do I hate it in that middle pose.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zerilan posted:

The comic I've read in the past few years that really emotionally hit me the hardest (Drop Out) literally consisted like 90% of two people talking during a long multi-day drive. The whole idea of it really is that even with someone you love and already think you know completely, with that much time just alone to talk, you end up learning so much more about them.

That comic made me feel the way when I was watching Hereditary.

And I mean that in a good way.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

catlord posted:

I don't normally have as much an issue with Snout's tail as others, but boy oh boy do I hate it in that middle pose.

I'm hating the wrinkles in it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FlocksOfMice posted:

His defining feature is his curiosity
:shepface:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Bismuth posted:

the other people just off screen

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

/thread

There's no topping this.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

holy poo poo

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
:five:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Jesus christ lmfao

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mookie wishes he could draw facial expressions like that

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This legitimately isn't funny anymore. It's just kinda sad.

Edit: well that is funny, of course \/

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 20, 2021

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

:five:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This legitimately isn't funny anymore. It's just kinda sad.

Edit: well that is funny, of course \/

it feels like a gently caress you to readers lol

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

it feels like a gently caress you to readers lol

Dominic Deegan: It feels like a gently caress you to readers

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

You know, the first stretch of this comic wasn't even terrible. The Wild Edge had some unique set pieces and Snout had a goal where it felt there was some urgency behind it, and he accordingly did things. I wouldn't say it was great art, but it was fine. It's the sort of thing that would've been good enough for me to read long enough to see if the author was going to do something interesting with.

Now, Snout does nothing, there is no sense of urgency, and never any sense is danger because Mookie is too loving precious about his characters for them to experience hardship for more than ten minutes. There are no stakes. If something happens, be sure that very quickly that problem will be solved. And then there's strips like these, which accomplish nothing, advance nothing, and actively undo any good character development Snout had early on when he was running around fighting trees.

But also, that mirrors my experience reading the original comic. I unironically read Dominic Deegan for a while when it was new, because I was young and had less refined taste and I was kind of blown away by free comics on the internet in general and I read a lot of crap. I'm not sure where I stopped (before a lot of the really crazy stuff that's been posted in here), maybe around a year or so into its run, but I abandoned it because it was boring. Because Dominic solved every problem, because the good guys were perfect and the bad guys were cartoonish, and it was so, so shallow, and it wasn't worth the effort to keep up on. Really, Legacy feels like the perfect successor to Dominic Deegan.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I knew nothing of DD other than the jazzhands meme and the "MM, my bed smells like GIRL" panel. I had tried to read it back in the day of "oh wow webcomics, anime, cool!" and even then stupid easily-amused me couldn't get past the first two or three pages of it before going "Nah this is dumb."

Legacy was actually almost interesting to me at first? I didn't know Mookie's history really of loving things up so I was confused why it had a mock thread, wasn't this a neat idea for a comic, things were happening often enough, it was--oh, oh, no, nevermind, it just does this, it just does this.

Do you think this is the last update he does like this, or do you think he'll go for more? I hope he goes for more. I am curious to see what this character, whose defining feature is his curiosity, will get up to while bored (sit around and play with himself, ignoring everyone else around him apparently).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FlocksOfMice posted:

Do you think this is the last update he does like this, or do you think he'll go for more? I hope he goes for more. I am curious to see what this character, whose defining feature is his curiosity, will get up to while bored (sit around and play with himself, ignoring everyone else around him apparently).

I predict at LEAST this entire week (2 more updates) will be more of this. I'd also like to predict it will finally end next week, but I honestly thought it was going to end 2 weeks ago, so what do I even know.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, it’s definitely going to be all this week, since he does them in one week batches and nothing ever advances except at the end.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
He'll come out and say, "I wanted the readers to experience the same boredom and monotony as Snout" :downs:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
The Melancholy of Dominic Deegan gets its Endless Eight arc

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Happy Landfill posted:

He'll come out and say, "I wanted the readers to experience the same boredom and monotony as Snout" :downs:

I mean, better writers and filmmakers than Mookie - which granted is literally all of them - have used this defense. But it never holds water because like, yeah, if something is annoying or obnoxious, even if by design, then the fact remains it's still obnoxious and annoying.

Like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is not a bad movie in the sense that it is a very well made film that by and large succeeds at everything it's trying to do. Willie Scott is intentionally, as a throwback to that archetypal sort of character, an obnoxious and shrill character that is annoying to both Indiana Jones and the audience. This is by design and what the people making the movie intended.
It doesn't change the fact that she's obnoxious and annoying and the audience is unhappy when she is on-screen.
See also: the racism or gross stuff in that film.

If a stretch of this comic is boring and tedious by design, then it is still boring and tedious. That the author intended to make their audience miserable doesn't somehow negate the fact they made their audience miserable.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It is interesting to me that the early strip did actually try to focus on visual action and "gags" that made sense in a sorta silent-movie way, actually adhering to the no dialogue thing. It's just very clear that Mookie got bored with that early and wanted to dig into worldbuilding, but he got bored with that too, and every single stretch of the comic is waiting for the creator to get bored with their current toy and discard it for something else.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

At least the last time he did something like this, he bothered to post a warning about it.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

This is because Mookie thought of the broad concept of a long car trip, thinks of snout as a child, and despite not planning ahead, is actually incapable of thinking on his feet.

Chapter 22: The Oracle Hunter [Part 4]

Brace yourselves because what transpires is pretty messed up in terms of imagery

So already we start with an incredibly hosed up set-up. Dominic seems to have trapped Barnet in some mix of room 101 and hell, where he gets to be the inquisitor to Barnet's sins. Again right off the bat though he is justifying this by saying that he is trying to save her life. I don't think there's been a more clear example of Mookie's dark impulses coming out in the comic, only to be justified by the overall goodness of the protagonists.

But the true nature of this inquisitorial space is actually to draw memories out of Barnet's mind, exposing her entirely in a way that you would think would violate some sort of seer ethics. And I think it's telling that, despite Mookie's assurances that Dominic is only doing this as a Barnet's life, Dominic starts this strip out with a rant about how she doesn't get to define sick to him because she was evil first.

The other thing is that this part of the narrative is going to walk back essentially all of the setups that Mookie is introduced in this arc. I think he did this because if Barnet was actually a member of the anti-seer cult, then he have to actually directly confront the thorny issues of Dominic's morality when it comes to his snoopy omniscience. Mookie wasn't able to think about how directly deal with that, so instead he distracts the audience by claiming that that was never the premise of Barnett's actions anyway, so the arguments the cult makes are irrelevant. This is bad and boring writing and a waste of potential.

This one is a direct response to speculation that were happening at the time, I do remember this. Barnet conspicuously does not kill Dominic, even though she seemingly had the power to. Instead she cripples his site, which may bore speculate was because she couldn't bring herself to kill her brother. I guess Mookie hated that speculation so much, because it attributed some good to Barnet, that he felt the need to come in and wreck on it here, even though it doesn't really fix the problem of why Barnet would choose not to kill Dominic when she confronted him, if that was her goal along. I think Mookie actually resents that his audience don't take his characters the way he does.

Here's also conspicuously when Dominic just starts prying into embarrassing personal moments as a way of punishing Barnet. This could be out of a black mirror episode, only here the heroes are doing it and it's morally, justified of course.

So that's what the big twist reveal is. The reason why all of this contrived set of happiness because Barnet wanted to mess with Dominic before she killed him, I guess. It's one of those nonsense motivations that was obviously thought up in hindsight for inexplicable behaviour. Also, not that Mookie was unique in this, but I do find the fact that he thinks Barnet doing certainly feminine things as some kind of uber humiliating moment is pretty maladjusted male nerd on Mookie's part.

And once again we have the excuse of "it was all a dream", which is really essentially the same excuse as "it was all an illusion", to justify the heinous actions of the protagonists. Here though it's particularly funny because even though Mookie is making it very clear that Barnet recalls these experiences with clarity, the mere fact that he was only doing this in a projected mindscape and not in the real world is apparently enough to absolve Dominic. Even Barnet is like "oh, you got me", instead of saying "no, that was incredibly hosed up and the blinders are right to fear seers".

Also, given her propensity for invading other people's dreams, maybe Ink Witch is related to Dominic

Some filler for the around the world arc, I don't know where he got the qualenti, but they seem cribbed off of something. Sea elves or the like

I'm still struggling to figure out what is that Miranda thinks Donovan did wrong. Why is she privy to every single aspect of his previous life? Why can't you have made promises to ex-lover not to reveal that she was alive? I said it previously but I'm going to repeat it again here, the fact that fidelity and sex come up so often in Dominican is really weird considering the audience it was being consumed by and the setting Mookie created. It's almost a soap opera, except worse written

Why would Serk choose to hire someone related to Luna to assassinate Dominic? What possible advantage could that give him? This is pretty obviously a post hoc explanation for everything that happened because otherwise he would've had to introduce some new element to the story, he had long since run out of ideas for new original characters.

Why aren't the claims of seer is admissible in court? Why is the city jail protected from scrying? I mean, to be fair, those make sense as laws in assaying legal system, but Dominic has previously used his second sight to gain information that got Serk thrown in prison the first place, so it's obviously a system with some pretty enormous loopholes in it.

Really I think the lesson here, don't invoke legal ideas without some basic understanding in your mind of how your fictional world laws function, and to what purpose they would serve.

Oh poor sad little Dominic, always pressed to save the day. It is funny that Dominic went through that whole torture rigmarole to ostensibly save Barnet from Celesto, and yet still let her get attacked, making the torture pointless and therefore even more cruel

Again, life-and-death situations undercut by puerile sex puns. This also seriously ups the power that Celeto manifests, essentially letting him remotely assassinate anyone in the world. Despite this he will never use his power again even, even though Celesto should have been going all death note with it as soon as he could.

I'll give props for Mookie's parenting a little bit with the panel structure, but again this is more gobbledygook in terms of magic. We don't understand the stakes of anything that happens or why anything is happening, essentially making magic random plot in order that can just be applied any time to drastically alter the situation. This is a bad way to write magic. I know there's a great variety of ways people can approach stories and settings, but I do think that Mookie's way of doing it where magic can just do anything when it's convenient, makes it impossible to follow or figure out what sort of danger Dominic might be in

This was just Mookie getting off obviously. He loves drawing that painned Luna face

Again, here's a dynamic where despite Dominic getting to mentally torture Barnet, and despite Barnet still experiencing extreme pain and torment, the narrative has twisted around so that the villain can be blamed for the truly unforgivable acts. Now, Dominic's previous torture looks mild and unimportant by comparison.

Celesto goes all edgelord again...

And Dominic actually makes the argument he should have made the first time. I mean, the real question is who appointed either of these assholes to be the supreme judge of the world, but at least this is better than Donovan saying "yeah they all deserver to burn, but you need to save the world for the few good people in it".

I think that is what I find most grating about Dominic at this point in the comic. He acts as though he is morally superior to the rest of the world, even though canonically he has lived an incredibly privileged life. If the world is sad, isn't it the fault of people like his archmage mother? Why wouldn't she be in the halls of power, shaping society? Even her chosing not to do something is a little suspect, given the scope of her abilities.

Also, what is being ominously implied here? Why is Dominic worried, seeing as he has interacted directly with souls before?

I hate the Domcinic gets physically beaten up in this mindscape. This really is the point where Mookie started thinking of astral projection as literally tiny people inside someone else's brain

No comment.

Literally going to the core of this torture victim and seeing her naked and vulnerable in the fetal position.

Again, Dominic can just diagnose something with no research or insight. All he has to do is look at the thing and suddenly the voice of the author floods his mind with expostion. And of course, here we have our requisite Dominic in pain scene, because at this point Mookie was still willing to that for the sake of Dominic's saintly martyrdom

What? Why is this happening? Does this imply the virus came from Barnet's soul?

Of course not, Mookie is just lazy and doesn't think about what reusing the imagery might imply

Of course, Luna has yet another unmentionned magic contrivance that will solve the problem. Who needs setup?

Still not hearing a justification for your "inquisition" Dominic. Barnet is right to be mad.

SCRY/ARCANA
---------------------
MIND/PLANAR

5x2=ARCANA
-------------------------
LORE<E36113

Donald in Mathemagic Land this aint

Yep, so here it is. Dominic in He-man garb, with an enormous phallic sword, towering over a cowering naked woman. Couldn't get more Freudian if you tried.

Thanks for reminding us about Supermage.

And here's where Barnet reveals the Travoria part of her nature by describing how damaged she is

I cannot but wonder why any of this was necessary in an arc that started out as a whodunit murder mystery about seers getting killed. All of his back story feels out of place, for a character that we barely know and didn't really need a motivation for.

Oh here's why. This is yet again a case where another character's entire story exists solely to act as extra justification for why the main cast are so much better than everyone else. Despite Luna's constant insecurity, here Barnet has claimed that she was strong all along. You know, Luna, the one who tried to kill herself multiple times. This back story literally directly flies in the face of everything Luna has been characterized as to this point. And I'm not saying that someone who has tried to commit suicide can't be strong, but remember why Luna tried to do it, and how often. Luna's whole characterization was based on how fragile and insecure she was, which was what made her such an awful character to read. This feels like Mookie trying to address complaints about how terrible Luna is

Look at this smarmy bullshit. This is all Dominic is going to have to do to justify everything in this arc. That one line, the corneas line possible in the context.

I also love Dominic's scarf insidiously emerging and wrapping itself around Barnet, as if assimilating her into the hive mind

It is incredibly stupid that "Trumpet" does not play trumpet

This one actually is pretty good

Something's wrong with Rachael's breasts

One more wrapup part to go after this. But I think were all feeling like Barnet is in that last panel

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 21, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

This isn't a pun, it isn't even wordplay! It's just the literal meaning of the word!

Beelzebufo posted:

It is incredibly stupid that "Trumpet" does not play trumpet

I guarantee you he thinks it's comedy gold. Which it can be, if done properly.

"If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flipper, which one would you think liked dolphins the most? I'd say Flipper, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong, though. It's Hambone." - Jack Handey

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

lmfao

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ahh, the coDpiece is finally here

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The entirety of Mookie Morality is that anything is fine as long as you do it to a Bad person.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Last recap I said there’s something admirable about Mookie going all in despite nobody else liking his decisions and I’m just gonna retract that statement. The way he saw near universal disdain for Supergreg and decided “actually, gently caress you, true believers. I’m gonna cram even MORE superheroes into this medieval fantasy comic!” is pretty obnoxious. You took a big swing and whiffed, just move on.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The "older sister views abused sibling as strong because they hide their pain, but they're not close so she doesn't recognize the truth" plot point isn't a bad one but it doesn't work here because mookies characters don't actually reflect the plots invoked. In a good comic it's fine, but here it comes across as unearned.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Mors Rattus posted:

The entirety of Mookie Morality is that anything is fine as long as you do it to a Bad person.

Reminder he was big into claiming that the Doom guy is a paladin to anyone who would listen. Because obviously, he kills demons. That makes him a good paladin.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I remembered the Dominic he man towering over naked woman comic, but thanks I had forgotten the context was he declared himself an inquisitor and was torturing her for information

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mx. posted:

I remembered the Dominic he man towering over naked woman comic, but thanks I had forgotten the context was he declared himself an inquisitor and was torturing her for information

I’d forgotten the context, too, and in light of what we know about Mookie’s hang-ups…

I gotta be blunt: Dominic comes across as really rape-y, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Nighthand posted:

The "older sister views abused sibling as strong because they hide their pain, but they're not close so she doesn't recognize the truth" plot point isn't a bad one but it doesn't work here because mookies characters don't actually reflect the plots invoked. In a good comic it's fine, but here it comes across as unearned.

Yeah I don't disagree, there's just no groundwork justifying it, and at this point it's almost impossible not to read a metareasoning into it. I also hate how these women's insecurities manifests in spite of their obvious competence. The clutzy girl with insecurities may be a cliché, but I prefer it to these women who are amazing sorcerors or battle hardened assassins, but explode out in tears and teenaged angst as soon as Dominic is around.