Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIxcbf-OTnM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kimmel did Stern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xstzg3U4Vqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQmo7YIMbFw

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 17, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So I've watched or listened to pretty much everyone's Norm tribute, so I definitely don't need to see or hear any more of them, but I'm legitimately surprised that Colbert didn't do one. I mean, it's not required, but I guess I figured he'd have said something. Or did he, and I missed it?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So I've watched or listened to pretty much everyone's Norm tribute, so I definitely don't need to see or hear any more of them, but I'm legitimately surprised that Colbert didn't do one. I mean, it's not required, but I guess I figured he'd have said something. Or did he, and I missed it?

He made a short comment after the first commercial break on whatever day it was that he first could've addressed it. But, as he himself pointed out, he didn't really know Norm as well as he would've liked to, so he didn't really feel qualified to say much more than that.

At the other end of the spectrum, there's an entire special episode of Conan's podcast about Norm now. One of the most interesting things there is the revelation that the moth joke most likely happened just to fill time, since Norm was originally just going to have one segment, but the producer asked him to stay on a little longer that night.

Which also reminds me, in the Joel McHale episode they revealed that they had to stop doing the Walker, Texas Ranger lever because there were rumblings that the actors from the show were going to start asking for residuals. Conan insisted that they should keep doing it just so that he could go to court, show a clip, and say "That is not acting." But his producers prevailed.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 20, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
You missed it.

What I saw was brief, since they weren't close. He did talk about his short stint as a guest writer on SNL, and Norm took him under his wing.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Conan apparently had a field day at the Emmys mocking them for never giving him one. And he wasn't even on stage. Jon Oliver won and in his speech said he was rooting for Conan and thanked him for 30 years of inspiring writers.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah everyone was pulling for conan, Kimmel even said on Stern last week that he hoped he would win.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
What are you talking about Conan was on stage last night

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Conan's final year was okay. I mean everyone was poo poo amid the pandemic, but his best bits were always going outdoors and getting into shenanigans.

That said these awards are never about the actual content so they shoulda fuckin given it to Conan.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Any single season of conan' gave me more entertainment than all other talkshows combined save for a bit of ferguson, so there's that

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Best moments of the night

https://twitter.com/thedevil0fhk/status/1439811315967606786?s=21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABOzj3RAXSM

Tonight, Colbert takes a look back with a Best-of for the previous season. Everyone else is back, too: Fallon will be doing a show from all five NYC boroughs on Thursday, and Wednesday is Climate Night on Seth.

Schedule for the week starting 2021.09.20
Subject and likely to change

Colbert
Monday - The Late Show's Celebration of Season 6: This Time with Laughs!
Tuesday - Bob Woodward and Robert Costa, Leon Bridges
Wednesday - Shawn Mendes
Thursday - Anderson Cooper, John Mayer

Corden
Monday - Ken Jeong, Lola Young
Tuesday - Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Suni Lee
Wednesday - Nicole Kidman, Melissa McCarthy, Bill Gates
Thursday - Ben Platt

Kimmel
Monday - Seth MacFarlane, Brendan Hunt, The Lumineers
Tuesday - Billy Bob Thornton, Fred Savage, St Vincent
Wednesday - Julianne Moore, Katharine Hayhoe, My Morning Jacket
Thursday - Ringo Starr, Simone Biles, The Doobie Brothers

Fallon
Monday - Hasan Minhaj, James Wolk, Meek Mill
Tuesday - Nicole Kidman, Amanda Gorman, Nore Davis
Wednesday - Steve Martin and Martin Short, Margaret Qualley, Dr. Jane Goodall, Cynthia Erivo
Thursday - Michael Strahan, Justin Willman, The Killers
Friday - Andy Cohen, Alesia Cara

Seth
Monday - Amy Adams, Lee Daniels, girl in red
Tuesday - Bill Burr, Keith Morrison, Abby McEnany
Wednesday - Climate Night: Sec. John Kerry, Jim Gaffigan
Thursday - Ike Barinholtz, Jenny Slate

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 24, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drat clip shows even in the year of our lord 2021.

pwn
May 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

drat clip shows even in the year of our lord 2021.

Colbert really has had a bee in his bonnet to have audience reactions. He’s re-aired several old clips from the home/storage closet shows since returning to the Ed Sullivan Theatre, with the explicit, stated goal of playing it for a live audience. Big fan of people gathered together to look at monitors and laugh, I guess :shrug:

Imagine getting a ticket for tonight’s taping, only to find that you’ll be watching loving screens for 42 minutes

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

pwn posted:

Tonight, Colbert takes a look back with a Best-of for the previous season. Everyone else is back, too: Fallon will be doing a show from all five NYC boroughs on Thursday, and Wednesday is Climate Night on Seth.

Seth
Monday - Amy Adams, Lee Daniels, girl in red
Tuesday - Bill Burr, Keith Morrison, Abby McEnany
Wednesday - Climate Night: Sec. John Kerry, Jim Gaffigan
Thursday - Ike Barinholtz, Jenny Slate

I’ve always said that the two most important people in the fight against climate change are Al Gore and Jim Gaffigan

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

I’ve always said that the two most important people in the fight against climate change are Al Gore and Jim Gaffigan

Researchers develop the whitest paint in the world that could reduce the need for air conditioning

pwn posted:

Imagine getting a ticket for tonight’s taping, only to find that you’ll be watching loving screens for 42 minutes

They didn't actually tape yesterday, it was probably a double taping on Friday or something.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 21, 2021

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Colbert being interviewed for the Emmy win is fine whatever, but check out the guy behind him at 22 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToA4L5s4a-o

pwn
May 27, 2004

Schedule for the week starting 2021.09.27

Colbert
Monday - Paul Giamatti, Jon Stewart
Tuesday - Drew Carey, Phoebe Robinson
Wednesday - Anita Hill, Alessandra Nivola
Thursday - John Lithgow, Theo Croker feat. Wyclef Jean

Corden
Monday - Khloe Kardashian, Jade Bird
Tuesday - Mayim Bialik, Gillian Jacobs
Wednesday - Tyra Banks, Leslie Odom Jr
Thursday - Andy Serkis, Beth Behrs

Kimmel
Monday - Freddie Highmore, JB Smoove, Masked Wolf
Tuesday - Gabrielle Union, Mark Duplass, Angels & Airwaves
Wednesday - LL COOL J, Nick Robinson, Tems
Thursday - Charlize Theron, Elvis Costello, Elvis Costello and Juanes

Fallon
Monday - Snoop Dogg, Chris Colfer, Mickey Guyton
Tuesday - Jake Gyllenhaal, Karamo Brown, G-Eazy feat. Demi Lovato
Wednesday - Maluma, Michael Gandolfini, Giveon
Thursday - Jeff Daniels, Chloe Fineman, The Flaming Lips
Friday - Jerry Seinfeld, Lea Seydoux, Twice

Seth
Monday - Billy Bob Thornton, Miriam Margoyles
Tuesday - Ray Liotta, Natasia Demetriou, Spencer Ackerman
Wednesday - Demi Lovato, Neil Brennan, Audrey Nuna feat. Saba
Thursday - Colin Jost, Micheal Gandolfini

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Jon Stewart is on Colbert to stump for his new show.

Is anyone else as nervous for him as I am? We all know how this went last time.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Stewart seemed behind the times during the final stretch of him hosting TDS. I can’t see the new one working for him unless his comedic POV has grown/changed during his hiatus.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I read an interview where he said it's going to be less about comedy and more about deep dives into single issues. It's not going to be TDS2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

I read an interview where he said it's going to be less about comedy and more about deep dives into single issues. It's not going to be TDS2.

So.... Last Week Tonight?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

So.... Last Week Tonight?

So the Master has become... the student....

Years from now, a now old and cranky John Oliver will start a new comedic infotational series in which instead of deep diving into one main topic, he covers several topics, not unlike a traditional newscast. He'll even have correspondents who do remote segments. And one of those correspondents will take over when he decides to direct a movie no one will watch, and upon his return, the correspondent will field offers to have their own show, where they will deep dive into a single topic with a few extra jokey segments tossed in... by then, the proliferation of this cycle will be too big to stop....

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 28, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

tarlibone posted:

Jon Stewart is on Colbert to stump for his new show.

Is anyone else as nervous for him as I am? We all know how this went last time.
Apparently a new clip shows that he doesn't realize that fish are considered animals.
I think Jon Stewart is a bit past his prime.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Apparently a new clip shows that he doesn't realize that fish are considered animals.
I think Jon Stewart is a bit past his prime.

Isn't that a common thought for a lot of vegetarians? Maybe it's not, I don't know, but I've heard of that a bunch.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A lot of people think 'animal' just means mammals, birds, lizards, etc. Stuff that is still kinda like us. I didn't really think about the fact that it's even bugs and weird sea sponges and those tardigrade things until I googled it once.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

A lot of people think 'animal' just means mammals, birds, lizards, etc. Stuff that is still kinda like us. I didn't really think about the fact that it's even bugs and weird sea sponges and those tardigrade things until I googled it once.

Yep.

But also, there is a FISH != MEAT thing that exists in our culture, probably due in no small part to the Roman Catholic church.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

tarlibone posted:

Yep.

But also, there is a FISH != MEAT thing that exists in our culture, probably due in no small part to the Roman Catholic church.
I guess it could have been worse, he could have called the moon a star:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQKgpm1SJmQ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

(Edit: ^^^^ holy loving christ :psyduck:)

I had a (brief) discussion with a coworker once who told me he eats fish but not meat because he doesn't believe that fish have souls, and that they're purely instinctual.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

(Edit: ^^^^ holy loving christ :psyduck:)

My thoughts exactly. In fact, ...

I had a (brief) discussion with a coworker once who told me he eats fish but not meat because he doesn't believe that fish have souls, and that they're purely instinctual.

^^^^ holy loving christ :psyduck:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

tarlibone posted:

^^^^ holy loving christ :psyduck:

"It's more ethical to eat fish than mammals and birds, because their nervous systems seem less complicated" is not an uncommon reasoning for a pescetarian diet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Megazver posted:

"It's more ethical to eat fish than mammals and birds, because their nervous systems seem less complicated" is not an uncommon reasoning for a pescetarian diet.

He didn't get into that. I think it was more of a "I don't believe fish contemplate their own existence...", which implies that chickens... do?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

He didn't get into that. I think it was more of a "I don't believe fish contemplate their own existence...", which implies that chickens... do?

Welcome they do require reasons to cross roads. Most animals don't. That's probably why you see a lot more dead squirrels, skunks, deer, etc. than you do dead chickens who were struck while crossing the road. There are a million reasons for them to do it, and each chicken seems to have its own reason, and part of the phone is just guessing what that reason is... but they do have their reasons. Only a creature that contemplates its existence would search for a reason to do anything, especially cross a road.

Megazver posted:

I want to try a pescepescetarian diet.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

tarlibone posted:

Yeah it is mainly a Catholic thing for that line of thinking. Catholicism is responsible for a lot of wacky thinking in this country in general.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's okay to eat fish 'cause they don't have any feelings
- Kurt Cobain

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

It's okay to eat fish 'cause they don't have any feelings
- Kurt Cobain

Don't expect me to die
Don't expect me to cry
Don't expect me to fry non-fish.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Another full week! As of last week, Corden has an audience again, and according what Seth said last Monday, his audience will return next week. So starts what will hopefully be the final week of shows without an audience. Monday, Fallon hosts Seth Meyers, and Thursday he brings on the hosts of The Kids Tonight Show, a show debuting on Unnamed Streaming Service October 14. It’s a kid-friendly version of The Tonight Show, which is what I thought Jimmy Fallon has been hosting since 2014, but here we are. Brian McCann will be the head writer. Yes, that Brian McCann

:eyepop:

And Colbert will have a Friday show with the cast of Succession. Big week! Be there!

Schedule for the week starting 2021.10.04

Colbert
Monday - Julianna Margulies, Toby Keith
Tuesday - Michael Keaton, Zac Brown Band
Wednesday - Bret Baier, Susie Essman
Thursday - Sanjay Gupta, Denis Villaneuve
Friday - The Cast of Succession

Corden
Monday - Jamie Lee Curtis, Ludacris, Lord Huron
Tuesday - Taraji P. Henson, Gabrielle Union, Jake Wesley Rogers
Wednesday - Judy Greer, Annaleigh Ashford, Cat Power
Thursday - Daniel Craig, Rami Malek

Kimmel
Monday - John Stamos, Russell Westbrook, Alice Merton
Tuesday - Rami Malek, Melissa Benoist, Old Dominion
Wednesday - Daniel Craig, Eric Wareheim, X Ambassadors
Thursday - Ellen Pompeo, Henry Winkler, Billy Idol

Fallon
Monday - Seth Meyers, Cobie Smulders, Farruko
Tuesday - Queen Latifah, Kaitlyn Dever, Chris Stapleton
Wednesday - Anthony Anderson, The Cast of Squid Game, Charli XCX
Thursday - Madonna, The Kids Tonight Show hosts: Recker Eans, Dylan Gilmer, Mykal-Michelle Harris, and Olivia Perez
Friday - Ana de Armas, Big Red Machine

Seth
Monday - Blake Griffin, David Chase
Tuesday - Jason Momoa and Dave Bautista, Alessandra Nivola, Anthony Doer
Wednesday - Blake Shelton, Brett Goldstein, Cuco
Thursday - Jason Sudeikis, Brendan Hunt, and Joe Kelly

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I appreciate literally every joke at Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin's expense. Holy poo poo.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
In sad news Alan Kalter has passed.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/alan-kalter-dead-dies-late-show-with-david-letterman-announcer-1235080994/

Dude was one of a kind and always up for anything. Letterman staff is sadly dropping like flies.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Djarum posted:

In sad news Alan Kalter has passed.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/alan-kalter-dead-dies-late-show-with-david-letterman-announcer-1235080994/

Dude was one of a kind and always up for anything. Letterman staff is sadly dropping like flies.

Aw man, this one really bums me out. I watched Letterman religiously from the late 90's to early 2000's, and Alan was consistently one of the funniest parts. After watching some old clips today, I was reminded what a good comedic actor he was, i'd put him up there with Brian McCann or Brian Stack from Conan, super consistent, always committed 100%, always funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thank you, Alan Kalter, for being the answer to the question they asked me when I was trying to get Letterman tickets. That one was a no-brainer.