Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

GreatGreen posted:

So Firefox updated and my active tab no longer looks different from inactive tabs. They're all the same washed out grey color. Oh but the active tab has a single-pixel-wide slightly darker-grey ring around it so everything's fiiiiine. Seriously though it's impossible for me to tell at a glance what tab I'm actually on.

Jeeves a couple posts above nailed it. What the gently caress is going on at Mozilla and what spy/saboteur did they hire from Google to ruin the browser with these idiotic changes? Between this and the "close windows to the right" function hidden behind a secondary menu and it being the MIDDLE of three options in that menu so users don't "accidentally" close windows, and them making the bookmarks "folder" icon that annoying grey outline that takes up way too much space... they can go gently caress themselves.

Is there any hack or config change I can do to make the Firefox window title bar and inactive tabs a specific color, and my active tab a different color? If this is impossible, I'm moving back to Chrome. I don't like Chrome but at this point it's better than being on Firefox's slow slide into UI hell.

Force all UI devs to use $40 1080p TN-hell monitors. At 10% brightness.

e: snipe: in direct sunlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GreatGreen posted:

So Firefox updated and my active tab no longer looks different from inactive tabs. They're all the same washed out grey color. Oh but the active tab has a single-pixel-wide slightly darker-grey ring around it so everything's fiiiiine. Seriously though it's impossible for me to tell at a glance what tab I'm actually on.

Jeeves a couple posts above nailed it. What the gently caress is going on at Mozilla and what spy/saboteur did they hire from Google to ruin the browser with these idiotic changes? Between this and the "close windows to the right" function hidden behind a secondary menu and it being the MIDDLE of three options in that menu so users don't "accidentally" close windows, and then making the bookmarks "folder" icon that annoying grey outline that takes up way too much space... they can go gently caress themselves.

Is there any hack or config change I can do to make the Firefox window title bar and inactive tabs a specific color, and my active tab a different color? If this is impossible, I'm moving back to Chrome. I don't like Chrome but at this point it's better than being on Firefox's slow slide into UI hell.

You can use themes, which can have different colors and more contrast but keep the same UI shapes and elements.

Or you can get into userchrome CSS, which can fully reskin firefox to either improve the current design or exactly replicate the old Photon look. This is way more technical and nerdy, and may need manual updating when a new version of FF comes out and changes something that breaks your Style.
Lepton is a very popular userchrome that is an "improved" version of the current look

I made my own old-photon CSS that I'm very happy with, and would be glad to share. But since I did it just for me I can't guarantee it looks good on non-windows OSes or all possible system colors.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Thanks for the suggestions. I found a theme that adds the color and contrast back into the title bar and tabs. It looks good enough.

I wonder when Firefox will hire the Playstation UI guys, who will then find a way to disable keyboard typing altogether and instead force you to plug in a gamepad and select alphabetic letters from a menu where all the letters are arranged in a single line. But the d-pad won't work because that's what "old school" controllers use and we're new and fresh, so we'll only allow the thumbstick for letter selection. Holding the stick to advance through multiple letters will be disabled because we wouldn't want users scooting past their desired letter accidentally. That would be bad UI design. Also, selecting the letters themselves will be done using the gamepad's "Select" button (because that's the name of the button and we wouldn't want to confuse users now would we).

Great now that these ideas are out there my inbox is going to be flooded with DMs from Mozilla begging me to come work for them.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 10, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's also Firefox Color https://color.firefox.com/?utm_source=firefox-browser&utm_medium=firefox-browser&utm_content=theme-footer-link

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thanks for this.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

GreatGreen posted:

*cough*

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This seems to default to dark mode colors for right click menus. Is there any way to switch that? Of all the options it gives, that doesn't seem to be one of them.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 11, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thank you for the suggestion and of course this is nothing against you personally but that is way not for me.

I'm not looking for the perfunctory elements of a web browser to bring me my daily dose of flouncy artistic expression. I'm more comfortable with solid colors that do not draw attention to themselves, but instead provide non-distracting informational queues about what tabs are not and what tab is in focus is what I'm looking for, so they don't distract me from all the flouncy artistic expression I look at in the web browser window itself. :)

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 11, 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

yeah I've seen people use extremely bright and visually complex browser themes and i don't understand how one tunes that out to focus on the task at hand in the actual display pane. I'd be so distracted all the time

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
So I just updated to 92.0, and now my pinned tabs are showing up at the beginning of the dropdown tab list, which I do not want.

Is there a way to revert that? Google has failed me, or maybe I don't know the right term for "tab list."

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

This seems to default to dark mode colors for right click menus. Is there any way to switch that? Of all the options it gives, that doesn't seem to be one of them.

Ah, you see, this is because you chose to use a color scheme with white tab text! Obviously that means you want dark mode enabled (it's controlled by the "Background Tab Text Color" setting specifically).

I've found 2 somewhat reasonable workarounds for that, since I also prefer light mode in my browser.
1. The old Photon theme had dark background tabs and a light active tab. You can't make the background tabs too dark if you want to keep the text black and still readable, but setting "Background Color" to something like #BEBEBE isn't too bad.
2. The other way is to make the background tabs bright and the active tab darker. Set "Background Color" to #FFFFFF (or another light color), then go to Advanced colors and set "Tab Text" to something light, and "Tab Selected" to something darker. I like #4B81DF.

It's relatively easy to export a Firefox Colors theme, but I don't know how to import one, because who would ever do that? For what it's worth, these are the colors I'm currently using for a light mode theme:
code:
    "colors": {
      "toolbar": "rgb(255, 255, 255)",
      "toolbar_text": "rgb(0, 0, 0)",
      "frame": "rgb(255, 255, 255)",
      "tab_background_text": "rgb(0, 0, 0)",
      "toolbar_field": "rgb(255, 255, 255)",
      "toolbar_field_text": "rgb(0, 0, 0)",
      "tab_line": "rgb(0, 0, 0)",
      "popup": "rgb(255, 255, 255)",
      "popup_text": "rgb(0, 0, 0)",
      "tab_selected": "rgb(75, 129, 223)",
      "tab_text": "rgb(255, 255, 255)",
      "tab_loading": "rgb(0, 0, 0)"
    }

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NFX posted:

Ah, you see, this is because you chose to use a color scheme with white tab text! Obviously that means you want dark mode enabled (it's controlled by the "Background Tab Text Color" setting specifically).

I've found 2 somewhat reasonable workarounds for that, since I also prefer light mode in my browser.
1. The old Photon theme had dark background tabs and a light active tab. You can't make the background tabs too dark if you want to keep the text black and still readable, but setting "Background Color" to something like #BEBEBE isn't too bad.
2. The other way is to make the background tabs bright and the active tab darker. Set "Background Color" to #FFFFFF (or another light color), then go to Advanced colors and set "Tab Text" to something light, and "Tab Selected" to something darker. I like #4B81DF.

Interesting! TBH I kind of wish the tabs just used the Toolbar Color instead of the Background Color, since I don't want to change the color of the Menu Bar.

Edit: while I'm complaining about stuff, what controls the border in the bookmark menus? 92 made this border rounded and tremendously thicker than before, which is kind of obnoxious given that I'd prefer it to be as compact as possible.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 12, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Schwarzwald posted:

Edit: while I'm complaining about stuff, what controls the border in the bookmark menus? 92 made this border rounded and tremendously thicker than before, which is kind of obnoxious given that I'd prefer it to be as compact as possible.

code:
:root {
    --arrowpanel-menuitem-margin: 0px !important;
    --arrowpanel-menuitem-border-radius: 0px !important;
}
If you already have a :root section, just add the two middle lines into that block.

Also that's the most simple fix, which will change some stuff outside just the bookmark menu (otoh if you want everything to be more compact, I think that won't bother you). There are ways to more specifically target the bookmarks bar, but it's more complex css.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Klyith posted:

If you already have a :root section, just add the two middle lines into that block.

That improved the bookmark menu from the Menu Bar, but not the bookmark menus from the Bookmarks Toolbar.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Me: Hey Jeeves! Why are Mozilla such fucktards? What I mean is, why are my only two options now for context/menus background colors either Pure White or Pure Black? Is this now Pokemon? Why did they get rid of the gradient grey color that has existed in pretty much everything since the beginning of time?

Jeeves: gently caress if I know. Maybe try and go ask my pal Akinator.

Me: :(

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Lolling at the "Firefox Suggest" header

Branding. It's very important.

These aren't mere suggestions, these are Firefox Suggest.

And no, I don't want advice on how to remove the text. I've given up on trying to use tweaks to remove annoyances because they will drop out of support in a couple of releasees anyway.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
FYI (to the people who are not Wheany) to get rid of that, it's "browser.urlbar.groupLabels.enabled" set to false.

What bother me more is the fact that it's grammatically wrong. They should have "Firefox Suggests" or "Firefox Suggestions" there instead.

That's what I suggests, anyway. :grin:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Im_Special posted:

FYI (to the people who are not Wheany) to get rid of that, it's "browser.urlbar.groupLabels.enabled" set to false.

What bother me more is the fact that it's grammatically wrong. They should have "Firefox Suggests" or "Firefox Suggestions" there instead.

That's what I suggests, anyway. :grin:
So now they have a reason to fix it and rename the property! :byoscience:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Schwarzwald posted:

That improved the bookmark menu from the Menu Bar, but not the bookmark menus from the Bookmarks Toolbar.

add this line to the :root section:
code:
--panel-subview-body-padding: 0px !important;
and this block outside it:
code:
/*bookmark menus styled like normal menus*/
menu.subviewbutton:not([disabled])[_moz-menuactive],
menuitem.subviewbutton:not([disabled])[_moz-menuactive],
#PlacesToolbar menu:not([disabled])[_moz-menuactive],
#PlacesToolbar menuitem:not([disabled])[_moz-menuactive] {
  border-radius: 0px !important;
  background-color: var(--menuitem-hover-background-color) !important;
  max-width: 100% !important;
}

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Im_Special posted:

Me: Hey Jeeves! Why are Mozilla such fucktards? What I mean is, why are my only two options now for context/menus background colors either Pure White or Pure Black? Is this now Pokemon? Why did they get rid of the gradient grey color that has existed in pretty much everything since the beginning of time?

Jeeves: gently caress if I know. Maybe try and go ask my pal Akinator.

Me: :(

Hey leave me out of Firefox's bullshit

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
What happened to ya man, you used to be cool. Now we got Duck.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Im_Special posted:

What happened to ya man, you used to be cool. Now we got Duck.

Minimalist Program posted:

I don't know man but check out this cool duck

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

To deprogram myself from using Google as a verb I started referring to searching online as 'asking jeeves' and I recommend you do too

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Let me Bing that for you.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I duckduckwent but I didn't find anything.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Klyith posted:

add this line to the :root section:
code:
--panel-subview-body-padding: 0px !important;
and this block outside it:
code:
/*bookmark menus styled like normal menus*/
menu.subviewbutton:not([disabled])[_moz-menuactive],
menuitem.subviewbutton:not([disabled])[_moz-menuactive],
#PlacesToolbar menu:not([disabled])[_moz-menuactive],
#PlacesToolbar menuitem:not([disabled])[_moz-menuactive] {
  border-radius: 0px !important;
  background-color: var(--menuitem-hover-background-color) !important;
  max-width: 100% !important;
}

This changes things weirdly. It gets rid of the border above and below the menu, but not to the left or right of it.
Still a bit improvement, though!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Hey boys and gals, I come to you with an issue (a Firefox one! The mom one can come later). I already asked all my Simpson pals, they're stumped, Jeeves is being a baby for whatever reason, and the Duck just wants loving crackers when I ask. So yeah, maybe someone here can help with this.

So yeah, I've been getting these kind of "popups" since updating to Firefox 91.0 (or maybe it was 92.0), they show up on sites like "Spotify, Apple, Outlook, etc.

I'm guessing something new changed when Proton happened, I could've sworn I had these type of popups/notifications hidden before with about-config prefs "dom.webnotifications.enabled" and "dom.push.enabled" set to false, but maybe they are no good now.

I was wondering if these can be completely hidden and removed from happening now, and how.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

So yeah, I've been getting these kind of "popups" since updating to Firefox 91.0 (or maybe it was 92.0), they show up on sites like "Spotify, Apple, Outlook, etc.

The mailto might be fixed by going to settings -> applications and picking an app that gets opened when you click a mailto link. Either your actual email program, or just notepad.exe if you don't want mail links to do anything.

The DRM one doesn't have an easy fix, but if you have DRM turned off you're probably not spending that much time on music sites that need DRM?

edit: apparently the correct about.̇config setting that fixes the DRM popup is browser.eme.ui.enabled to false

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 20, 2021

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Terrible advice Klyith, are you even trying?

But that "mailto" word did spark something and I found the solution;
Change network.protocol-handler.external.mailto to false in about-config

And DRM is apparently;
browser.eme.ui.enabled to false in about-config

e: and drat your edit.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 20, 2021

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Im_Special posted:

But that "mailto" word did spark something and I found the solution;
Change network.protocol-handler.external.mailto to false in about-config

Ayy thanks for this. Been seeing this for weeks.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah, it's super dumb, only useful I guess if you ever wanted to start composing an email by clicking some mailto link on a random webpage. Never have I needed this, and I also don't need to keep re-seeing this popup crap every time I log into my email account... ffs Firefox. :bravo:

Alternatively, these notifications can be hidden with CSS I've been told (but I have not tried this method personally), put this inside your userChrome.css.
code:
/* Hide Firefox "notification" popups */
#appMenu-notification-popup {
	display: none !important;
But this way seems to hide ALL popups from happening, and there might be something you do care about (doubtful) getting hidden by using this method.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's actually kind of convenient on the work network, where clicking any of the many mailto links opens Outlook and that is genuinely what I wanted to happen.

Outside work, getting a Gmail tab when I click a mail address isn't useful very often, but ... it's not wrong, either? I can't find it in me to be annoyed at it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I suspect that it's prompting without clicking on the link first, but you'd have to ask Im_Special. The mailto: links have been around for ages and have known behavior so I'd be surprised if people didn't want/like them working as intended.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's because the web version of outlook is now trying to register itself as handler for the mailto protocol and popping up that stupid notification every time.
All because Mozilla refused to add a "don't ask again" or "never for this site" button to it when the issue was first reported 10 years ago.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=668577

Though it looks like maybe they're considering the latter of you click on the "duplicate" that's still open.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Over the past week or so I've noticed that Youtube in Firefox 92.0 has stopped auto-playing videos in 1080p. Not only that, it doesn't even offer anything about 720p as an option.

Here's the same video in both FF and Chrome.

Any idea what's going on?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Do you have VP9 disabled or the H264ify extension installed? Google may only be serving higher resolutions as VP9 or AV1.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Mr.Radar posted:

Do you have VP9 disabled or the H264ify extension installed? Google may only be serving higher resolutions as VP9 or AV1.

No and no, but I noticed that the problem goes away in a private Firefox window, so it could have something to do with my extensions. The only youtube-specific extension I use is SponsorBlock, but disabling it has no effect on the problem. I haven't added/removed or changed any of my extensions in a long time.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Have you tried manually deleting your youtube.com cookies?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

No luck there either. Deleting all youtube cookies, restarting Firefox, updating to 92.0.1, restarting the computer, manually disabling each individual extension. The only thing that works is A) opening a private window or B) signing out of YouTube. Signing back in knocks me down to 720p and below.

:negative:

Everything works as it should in Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Does the same thing happen in Firefox's Safe Mode or a new Firefox user profile?