Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Kind of.

My inspiration is a half-remembered white paper in the late 90s from IBM (could have been Intel, but I think this one was IBM) wanting to create a "brick" that you would carry around and plug into which ever computer you found yourself at. I never heard anything more about it after that.

And Jose Oquendo ain't wrong. The only real effort I can think of off the top of my head was that Motorola abomination from around 10 years ago. The Atrix.

I got one of these as a work phone when I was working at Moto and it was this piece of poo poo. A bad phone and even worse "laptop".

Don't forget the Palm Foleo. No one loved the Palm Foleo, but I haven't forgotten the Palm Foleo. I'll never forget the Palm Foleo, and all those who died to make it a reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Timb bring back the powerbook duo style system but for iPads

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I mean, Apple is edging towards this vision with Airplay + iCloud + Sidecar and whatever they are calling the thing for transferring content between devices with the coming OS updates. Except that instead of public infrastructure of dumb terminals that you plug your stuff into, they want you to buy it all.

I use my iPad as a second monitor when I'm on the road. We have Apple TVs on all our projectors and TV carts at work so I can nearly seamlessly switch between screens. Airplay lets me turn my iPhone into a camera for a conference call etc. AirPods now automatically bounce between devices more or less correctly, the new OS will apparently let your mouse/keyboard switch from computer to iPad automatically.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Endless Mike posted:

This isn't uncommon. Verizon is doing the same thing. The short version is you are agreeing to a payment plan for the phone split into however months payments it happens to me, and they apply a bill credit to each month. What *should* happen is if you choose to leave before the plan is up, you'll owe the balance of the phone (so if you leave after 18 months, you'll owe half the price of the phone), but definitely read the terms and conditions. At the end of the plan, you'll own the phone outright. There's no guarantee they'll have the same deal next year, especially if the 14 turns out to be more than a "S" year upgrade over the 13.

Ugh. I'm tempted because $1k for an iphone 11 Pro seems wild, but upgrading to a 13 doesn't seem like a huge step versus waiting until next year.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Looks like today's iOS/iPadOS 15 build is newer than the last beta one. I removed the beta profile and checked software update. A small update was available for both iPad and iPhone.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh. I'm tempted because $1k for an iphone 11 Pro seems wild, but upgrading to a 13 doesn't seem like a huge step versus waiting until next year.

I honestly had no desire to upgrade this year until I saw Verizon was making it insanely cheap. Going from an 11PM to a 13PM 256gb for a whole $8/m with a 24m contract. My wife is going from the 11P to the 13P and it's just free. Wild.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wheeee posted:

everybody knows steve invented the tablet in 2010, right?

WRONG!

AAAAA!

Bill gave the tablet an STI?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ddogflex posted:

I honestly had no desire to upgrade this year until I saw Verizon was making it insanely cheap. Going from an 11PM to a 13PM 256gb for a whole $8/m with a 24m contract. My wife is going from the 11P to the 13P and it's just free. Wild.

What happens next year if you want to upgrade to the 14?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Residency Evil posted:

You never know what promos will be next time around, and I don't really care honestly. I believe you can upgrade yearly as it is? I don't upgrade yearly anymore. Having it paid off in 2 years is no problem for me. This is actually making our monthly payments a lot lower because our old devices are finally paid off this month.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS15 is out. Well, when I went to Settings > General > Software Update, it said "iOS 14.8 Your iPhone software is up to date.", but then at the bottom of the screen it said "Also Available: Upgrade to iOS 15", so I tapped that and was able to start downloading it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

In general (and, again, check the terms of your deal): you will be able to trade in your 13, and pay whatever the monthly cost is for the 14, but you will lose the bill credit promo, and will not be eligible for the new one. Alternatively, you can pay off the balance of the phone and trade it in on whatever promo may exist at that point.

Re iOS 15: if you were on the beta profile, there does appear to be another small update after you remove the profile (400ish MB on my 11 Pro).

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 20, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh right, I forgot today was ios 15 day.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I am so glad they added a radar and more functionality into the stock weather app. I've been keeping Dark Sky around just for that. I didn't think iOS 15 had anything for me but woo! There it is!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa7DLPLsF8s

I don't think I'm gonna use any of this lol

I use Chrome and not Safari, use Outlook and not Mail, don't use Health, never use Do Not Disturb so I likely won't use Focus, etc.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Regarding the notification summary, if I put something like Messages in there am I not going to get any messages at all until the scheduled summary? Can I just set it up to see a summary when I wake up?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Re iOS 15: if you were on the beta profile, there does appear to be another small update after you remove the profile (400ish MB on my 11 Pro).

Same and also for iPadOS.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I can confirm that Siri knows dogs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do you use this feature?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How do you use this feature?

If Siri knows something about your photos the "i" button at the bottom of the photo will have stars on it. Click that and then click on the "Look up" option to get Siri knowledge.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new Weather app is pretty nice. Probably gonna cancel my subscription to Hello Weather and just use this instead. It's only like $7/year but it'll be one less thing to pay for.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah Siri recognizes my dog as a corgi and I can highlight copy text on liquor bottles and anything i took a photo from.

This poo poo’s wild.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah Siri recognizes my dog as a corgi and I can highlight copy text on liquor bottles and anything i took a photo from.

This poo poo’s wild.

I got an invitation in the mail with a long rear end url with lots of random characters to rsvp at. I remembered that feature and it was like magic.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Not gonna bother updating my old phone when my new one ships in on Friday.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This poo poo’s wild.
lmao, the last picture I have saved in my photos is the Sickos meme so I tried it out with that one and I was able to copy the "YES...HA HA HA...YES!" successfully.

poo poo is indeed wild!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Zero One posted:

If Siri knows something about your photos the "i" button at the bottom of the photo will have stars on it. Click that and then click on the "Look up" option to get Siri knowledge.
Not a single photo works for me, but the live text is fine. I think in the beta you had to set your region to USA for your phone to know what a dog is which is absolutely baffling.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sure but it really shouldn't taken much time at all and you shouldn't have to log into things again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AI image processing is goddamn magic.

The white cat is indeed a british shorthair. How it can identify that blob of fluff so well is unimaginable to me.

(the tortie is identified as a domestic longhair though, which is not 100% accurate as she's a norwegian forest cat. but it's close enough).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My iOS install has years of junk system files in it that I can't seem to remove. My iMessages and Notes are synced to my iCloud, and my photos are manually backed up to my computer, so I could start over from scratch with an iPhone 13, but I'd also like to keep my system settings, mainly WiFi passwords. Is there a way to back this up? Doing an iCloud backup doesn't work because it also tries to backup photos and other stuff and my standard 5GB storage isn't enough.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Apparently the difference between the 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max is the most minimal it has ever been between the two SKUs?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Josh Lyman posted:

My iOS install has years of junk system files in it that I can't seem to remove. My iMessages and Notes are synced to my iCloud, and my photos are manually backed up to my computer, so I could start over from scratch with an iPhone 13, but I'd also like to keep my system settings, mainly WiFi passwords. Is there a way to back this up? Doing an iCloud backup doesn't work because it also tries to backup photos and other stuff and my standard 5GB storage isn't enough.
Can't you just do an encrypted backup on your computer through itunes?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

punk rebel ecks posted:

Apparently the difference between the 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max is the most minimal it has ever been between the two SKUs?

I don't think there's been much of a difference in a while other than battery size. I think with like the 8 and the 8 plus, the bigger Plus had batter cameras but I think there's been parity for a while.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

punk rebel ecks posted:

Bigger screen, battery life?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

iirc the 12 pro max had more RAM, which apple never lists out anywhere. I have no idea about the 13.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If you check the following boxes:
  • User of 1Password since the first touchID iPhones
  • Standalone vault user ie. not a 1Password Dot Com subscriber
  • Shunner of iCloud Keychain
  • User of the 1Password Share Panel button
  • iOS 15 installer

Please heed my short tale and learn from my error!

1Password <latest version for iOS 15> adds their new all-singing all-dancing Safari Extension and kills the Share Panel button. The app also prominently prompts you to install the extension, which I thought was fair enough since it would be better than the Share Panel button. Loading up the extension in Safari in my case put up a screen filling "Standalone vaults are not supported! Please subscribe!" dialog box. This caused me to get really very angry.

However, at some point, 1Password started interfacing directly with iOS Passwords. I didn't know this, because I turned off iOS Passwords (because I thought it was only for iCloud Keychain, which I had no interest in). As it turns out, with Autofill Passwords support turned on in 1Password, and 1Password support turned on in Settings -> Passwords (which only shows up as an available option if you enable iOS Passwords generally, which of course I hadn't, because I didn't know it wasn't just for iCloud), 1Password can still autofill forms in Safari using a standalone vault. It's only the prominent, advertised extension which won't work but will throw up a screen filling dialog insinuating that it's not the only thing that won't work).

TL:DR; despite protestations to the contrary, 1Password still properly works with standalone vaults.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the 1Password tip that surely saved me some blood pressure

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rusty posted:

Can't you just do an encrypted backup on your computer through itunes?
Yes but I think that's how all the junk system files have stuck around over the years.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Rageaholic posted:

The new Weather app is pretty nice. Probably gonna cancel my subscription to Hello Weather and just use this instead. It's only like $7/year but it'll be one less thing to pay for.

Seconding this, I’ve been using Carrot for years and forget this was even in the beta. It’s really good.

Now about that iPad app….

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Bum the Sad posted:

I don't think there's been much of a difference in a while other than battery size. I think with like the 8 and the 8 plus, the bigger Plus had batter cameras but I think there's been parity for a while.

Silly Burrito posted:

Bigger screen, battery life?

Clark Nova posted:

iirc the 12 pro max had more RAM, which apple never lists out anywhere. I have no idea about the 13.

Thanks for the responses. Just saw this article and was curious if the 12 Pro Max was notably better than the 12 Pro/if the 13 Pro Max is an outlier.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the responses. Just saw this article and was curious if the 12 Pro Max was notably better than the 12 Pro/if the 13 Pro Max is an outlier.

hmm interesting didn't know the Max had a better camera last year. I think they were the same on the XS and 11. Again I could be full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes but I think that's how all the junk system files have stuck around over the years.

Why do you think you have "junk system files"? What exactly is wrong with your phone?

When you do an encrypted backup it doesn't make an image of your phone. It doesn't save any OS or system files, it just stores more userdata than in an icloud backup.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136