Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

Kotono had an ovarian cyst I believe.

Ah ok (though ironically the woman that temporarily replaced her would go on to play Chibiusa in the following season)

New page so here’s the chapter link again to be on the safe side:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-61/chapter/23029?action=read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

Ah ok (though ironically the woman that temporarily replaced her would go on to play Chibiusa in the following season)

New page so here’s the chapter link again to be on the safe side:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-61/chapter/23029?action=read

Chapter was fine. Finally a lot appears to be happening. Also how the heck did Code get those zippers inside?

Laughing out loud at Code’s walkietalkie

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The duality of Sasuke.

And yeah, that was pretty gross Eida.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The plot needed it so suddenly Ohtsutsuki people can erase their chakra signature. I guess that explains how Kaguya managed to get a surprise attack on Isshiki at least.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

Chapter was fine. Finally a lot appears to be happening. Also how the heck did Code get those zippers inside?

Laughing out loud at Code’s walkietalkie

He blended it with a tree.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Kind of odd that at this point Kara has changed completely from cyborg ninjas into stand power users.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

He blended it with a tree.

There’s multiple actually. But how did he put them there. Doesn’t he have to be close to”throw” them

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
He can place them down instantly. He could have placed the marks all over the villages before now, and just immediately jumped between them to avoid being caught. It's not too much of a stretch, since Minato was capable of essentially the same thing, with his teleportation marks.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, in the anime Jigen just got cooked and Isshiki is about to summon his wine so the anime the just charging through manga content now. Though, I'm kind of laughing at Konohamaru in the preview since they're letting him show up just to get obliterated.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed in the animation this episode but to be fair, they do have bigger fish to fry.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 5, 2021

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm curious what they'll do here in a month or two when they've caught up to the current manga issue. Filler hell? Go on break?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm curious what they'll do here in a month or two when they've caught up to the current manga issue. Filler hell? Go on break?

I assume just more original anime content like they've been doing from the start.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think Baryon mode looks pretty good in the anime but I thought it looked fine in the manga so perhaps my tastes are off.

Looking back at the manga they've changed a bunch of stuff. Naruto getting tetris'd was all new since Isshiki tried to kill Sasuke first. Shame we don't get to see tiny sword Sasuke animated. Isshiki also was planning to stab Sasuke with his sword as opposed to cube death. Some obvious censorship too since we don't see Boruto's arm get bent 90 degrees back. Also kind of weird to see Naruto getting chain stabbed have no blood but having at on of blood dripping out from the cubes. Still, felt pretty good pacing wise to have two chapters in one episode.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I kinda wish I hadn't spoiled myself with the manga. Because this would have hit different thinking it was Naruto's last stand, and not just Kurama's.

Just Kurama's. Merely Kurama's. I hope they give the fuzzball the goodbye he deserves.

Also, for the first time ever, the music for next week's preview changed, and it is a banging song.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

I think Baryon mode looks pretty good in the anime but I thought it looked fine in the manga so perhaps my tastes are off.

Looking back at the manga they've changed a bunch of stuff. Naruto getting tetris'd was all new since Isshiki tried to kill Sasuke first. Shame we don't get to see tiny sword Sasuke animated. Isshiki also was planning to stab Sasuke with his sword as opposed to cube death. Some obvious censorship too since we don't see Boruto's arm get bent 90 degrees back. Also kind of weird to see Naruto getting chain stabbed have no blood but having at on of blood dripping out from the cubes. Still, felt pretty good pacing wise to have two chapters in one episode.

Agree. I wasn't sold on it in the Manga. But the color and movement make it look much better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Agree. I wasn't sold on it in the Manga. But the color and movement make it look much better.

That’s typically how I feel about Naruto fights in general (even in the original series/Shippuden). They’re usually a lot better in motion than they are on the page.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of the manga, have a new chapter:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-62/chapter/23138?action=read

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
SOMETHING HAPPENED. God, this arc had such a slow start, but maybe it'll actually go somewhere now?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Glad we're finally doing something with these new villains, but wow, Code has a seriously hideous fit. You don't really get a good look at it most of the time so that cover page was a real trip.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It feels like maybe this is the arc that's going to lead us to the events of the manga's opening with Kawaki vs. Boruto.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Every since Kishimoto came back, the art seems to ape his style more and more of recent, or at least look closer to the Boruto anime character models.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Teek posted:

Every since Kishimoto came back, the art seems to ape his style more and more of recent, or at least look closer to the Boruto anime character models.

Weirdly enough, Konohamaru gained his manga appearance in the anime for a few episodes during the Ao arc

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That chapter was nothing but the last anime episode was good. The Baryon Mode reveal was underwhelming when I read it in the manga but this episode hit all the right emotional beats.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I can't help but like Code and his league of dumb kid villains. So I didn't mind their extended antics. Still, glad we're getting a move on things. Hopefully Kishimoto gets a better sense of monthly pacing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheHan posted:

Glad we're finally doing something with these new villains, but wow, Code has a seriously hideous fit. You don't really get a good look at it most of the time so that cover page was a real trip.

I had to go back and look again. My mind just never even bothered to parse that mess.

Something happens I guess, but this has been quite slow.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Anime: If you were excited to see Baryon Mode Naruto taijutsu the hell out of Isshiki then this episode didn't disappoint. I'm still going to be that guy and whine about Isshiki not shrinking Naruto's Rasengan but I liked the expansion to Kawaki's flashbacks. RIP fish.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The hype for this fight did not disappoint. Just wish Baryon Mode had lasted a little longer, I could have enjoyed an entire episode of Naruto clowning on Isshiki.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
As an OG Baryon mode hater, gotta admit that the anime made it look pretty hype. Man, they do such a good job of animating the most hellacious of rear end-beatings. Even if Isshiki won in the end there he'd never be looked at the same.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The fight on the water being a direct homage to Naruto and Sasuke's first Valley fight was a nice touch - Naruto even combo'd Isshiki the same way

https://twitter.com/iamdonmakveli/status/1442067372177858561

And Kawaki hiding while an enemy threatens to kill his teacher hearkens all the way back to the first episode/chapter of the entire series

Still wish we had more filler with Kawaki bonding with the rest of the cast, because his affection for the Hokage and familiarity with the other genin really felt rushed

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
You know it still feels so weird that they have Orochimaru still around.
And I don't mean his pardon or the fact that with Naruto depowered he's like the 5th strongest guy in the world. But look at the whole Amado and possession thing. They're taking everything he says for truth when they have a guy running around who can literally clone and "perfect" people with expert knowledge on Chakra, blood, cells, hereditary powers and diseases but no one thinks to ask if he knows anything. Why not have him do some research, as long as he promises not to cut open any babies this time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

You know it still feels so weird that they have Orochimaru still around.
And I don't mean his pardon or the fact that with Naruto depowered he's like the 5th strongest guy in the world. But look at the whole Amado and possession thing. They're taking everything he says for truth when they have a guy running around who can literally clone and "perfect" people with expert knowledge on Chakra, blood, cells, hereditary powers and diseases but no one thinks to ask if he knows anything. Why not have him do some research, as long as he promises not to cut open any babies this time.

I think it's because he does not live in the Leaf Village and because they don't really like him very much.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Utilizing Orochimaru would be sort of like hiring Nazi Scientists after WWII, it'd feel gross as hell. Heck, they're probably avoiding a Hydra/Oro takeover by not giving him village responsibilities.

That said, considering the scope of the poo poo they're dealing with now, they probably need all the help they can get to prevent literal space deities from wrecking the world.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Do you all know how loving hard it is to try and kill Orochimaru?

They just decided it was easier to let him live, and like make sure he's not doing anything too evil.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it's because he does not live in the Leaf Village and because they don't really like him very much.

They know exactly where he is and they know he has a laboratory.

iamsosmrt posted:

Utilizing Orochimaru would be sort of like hiring Nazi Scientists after WWII, it'd feel gross as hell. Heck, they're probably avoiding a Hydra/Oro takeover by not giving him village responsibilities.

That said, considering the scope of the poo poo they're dealing with now, they probably need all the help they can get to prevent literal space deities from wrecking the world.

Exactly! Orochimaru made it pretty clear he’s done and just wants to watch other grow now. Seems like this would be an excellent time to get him involved.
Even a throwaway line like “we sent the data to Orochimaru but he hasn’t called back.”

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Boruto is slow enough that I really don't think Kishimoto should spend time half-heartedly acknowledging why Orochimaru isn't currently involved.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Realistically Orochimaru's reincarnation game is pretty weak isn't it? He's only been legit revived by Sasuke that one time, and it was so convoluted that it's hard to believe it'd ever happen again. Hell the original Orochimaru never even died, he's still in that gourd.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I'm still not entirely convinced that he wasn't involved in cloning Jiraiya.

TheHan posted:

Hell the original Orochimaru never even died, he's still in that gourd.

I'm fairly certain this is the same Orochimaru. At least in a sense that chakra is the power that connects everyone together, and it seems like he transfered his soul through the chakra that was still outside the gourd in Anko. So basically the curse mark on Anko was a lifeline to not being really sealed. If he then opened the gourd, he could reabsorb that chakra, but it was still always the "original" him. His revival through Anko was a bit of an rear end pull, but it wasn't too far from out there from how his soul transfer and the Yamanaka stuff works.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 1, 2021

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The reason Oro's so laid-back now is that he's perpetually drunk from his connection to the gourd-him

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

They know exactly where he is and they know he has a laboratory.

Yes they know where his lab is, but he does not live in the leaf village. Though Orochimaru is perfectly capable of going dark and vanishing when it suits him, as he has done a few times in the series. Then just showing back up and saying hey.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes they know where his lab is, but he does not live in the leaf village. Though Orochimaru is perfectly capable of going dark and vanishing when it suits him, as he has done a few times in the series. Then just showing back up and saying hey.

They likely won't go here, but I feel like Sasuke's Rinnegan/Sharingan is one of the bigger things that's keeping Orochimaru in check, so losing the Rinnegan will make it a lot more feasible for Orochimaru to actually vanish and restart his scheming wherever. I'll assume the village will do its best to not announce Naruto and Sasuke's major nerfs but politically they would be potentially huge factors in throwing off the balance of power in that ninja world.

The world was lucky that Naruto has a heart of gold, because it seems like it was feasible that he could've feasibly taken over at any point in the last 15 years save for the presence of alien terrorists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Teek posted:

I'm still not entirely convinced that he wasn't involved in cloning Jiraiya.

I'm fairly certain this is the same Orochimaru. At least in a sense that chakra is the power that connects everyone together, and it seems like he transfered his soul through the chakra that was still outside the gourd in Anko. So basically the curse mark on Anko was a lifeline to not being really sealed. If he then opened the gourd, he could reabsorb that chakra, but it was still always the "original" him. His revival through Anko was a bit of an rear end pull, but it wasn't too far from out there from how his soul transfer and the Yamanaka stuff works.

Oh yeah the whole chakra life tree thing, I guess that makes sense. I do wonder what that means for the part of him in the gourd but highly unlikely we'll ever explore that (or how it is that Itachi's susanoo got a hold of this legendary sword, how does it...own things....)