Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Almost as weird as every creation myth identifying humans as somehow special compared to other animals.

Xenophanes posted:

The Ethiops say that their gods are flat-nosed and black,
While the Thracians say that theirs have blue eyes and red hair.
Yet if cattle or horses or lions had hands and could draw,
And could sculpt like men, then the horses would draw their gods
Like horses, and cattle like cattle; and each they would shape
Bodies of gods in the likeness, each kind, of their own.

flavor.flv posted:

Biblical archaeology isn't about proving everything in the book is true, it's about finding out what inspired the parts in the book
Specifically looking for evidence that supports your hypothesis is a big academic no-no. Even I who only have a bachelor degree knows that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So, Candyman 2021 was pretty fun and had some interesting ideas, but one thing in particular really bugged me: it seemed really gratuitous and silly to make Anthony the baby from the first movie. Not only that, but seemed to run counter to the idea that it doesn't REALLY matter who Candyman IS, the meme/legend/cycle of oppression is what matters. Except when he's literally the baby kidnapped by the original movie's Candyman.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Alhazred posted:

Specifically looking for evidence that supports your hypothesis is a big academic no-no. Even I who only have a bachelor degree knows that.

I feel like, especially in archeology, there's a difference between "looking for evidence that supports your hypothesis" and "ONLY looking for evidence that supports your hypothesis".
Like, if you start from "we have really similar myths from a variety of cultures from this one geographical area, I wonder if there's any historicity to it?" and then do meta studies and even further digs in that area to see if anything matches, that's allowable. Saying "well, the loving ark has to be here somewhere" is bad science.
I'm not sure which one biblical archeology falls under.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alhazred posted:

But why would I look for evidence that disproves my theory? Come on man

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

But why would I look for evidence that disproves my theory? Come on man

More like old..bias..less?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FFT posted:

Anyway it was hilarious when the truth came out but that's one irritating thing: it glosses over a lot and there's a motive behind it.

What the gently caress happened when the truth outed?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Samovar posted:

What the gently caress happened when the truth outed?
They were very embarassed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The truth will always out, but never once will in which really makes you think

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I watched Old last night and lmfao what are we doing here, movie? Hello I am the main character and my personality is [Insurance Actuary] how do you do.

Also I was watching a trailer for another horror movie and I was like "I wonder if it will have a top down drone shot of a car driving on a forest road" and lol of course it does, they all do.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Finally watched Malignant and liked it kind of despite the fact that it’s basically a gender-swapped and less bird-heavy beat-by-beat retelling of one of my least favorite novels of all time, The Dark Half by Stephen King

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Finally watched Malignant and liked it kind of despite the fact that it’s basically a gender-swapped and less bird-heavy beat-by-beat retelling of one of my least favorite novels of all time, The Dark Half by Stephen King

To me it was like Assassin's Creed mixed with Basket Case.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Phanatic posted:

To me it was like Assassin's Creed mixed with Basket Case.

Yeah I love Basket Case and I got some of those vibes as well as Castle Freak but I still feel like the only notes of Malignant that worked for me were the underground Seattle location and the fact that it’s a loving TERATOMA, otherwise it was flat.

Another one i just watched that I didn’t “get” - Gunpowder Milkshake. Some interesting visual styling and good music but honestly it was very stilted and awkward in the performances, especially given the quality of the actors in it. I also couldn’t quite pin down the genre. John Wick meets Oldboy meets Desperado meets 47 Ronin meets Drive? All better movies that were heavily cribbed from for this effort.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I thought the ending of 'Squid Game' [MASSIVE SPOILERS]kind of ruined it a bit if they were trying to leave it open for a second season. It would have been MUCH better if 456 had got on the plane and gone on with his life. We already got the only answer we needed about who started the game and why, and the rest of the supposed mystery (and the guys playing evil American billionaires - but I repeat myself - were the only bad actors on the show) were by far the least interesting and most tangential part of the whole thing which was otherwise loving excellent and had infinitely more depth and better acting and characters than I ever expected.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Edit: NM

Cat Hassler has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Sep 23, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

when people put up tents in movies, they never make sure the ropes are taut. they just hammer in a plug with a slack line from it. try camping sometime

all of these tents would fall over by themself without a wind

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've been rewatching 30 Rock and I know it's probably on purpose but you never get a sense of how successful TGS is. I know it really depended on what's funniest for the story at the time but it's still irritating to me.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
End of the Lego Movie.

Couldn't they have had some time just father/son for a year before immediately letting the toddler in?

Dad's like 'we have to'. But they don't. They really don't.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Carthag Tuek posted:

try camping sometime
no

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

too late *gestures toward the fartcircle*

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Beachcomber posted:

End of the Lego Movie.

Couldn't they have had some time just father/son for a year before immediately letting the toddler in?

Dad's like 'we have to'. But they don't. They really don't.

Even the simplest Lego stuff has "For ages 4-99" on it because a toddler will stick anything in their mouth.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

just basic lego rules

put the comma wherever you want in that

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Of all the attention deaging tech has gotten lately the other way around could sometimes use some work too.

I'm watching Midnight Mass and (major spoilers) it was super obvious that some characters were younger people in wigs and make up to make them look old/older, especially the doctor's mom. Don't just give her a (really) bad wig, make her look pale and tell her to walk around crooked. She's supposed to be an old woman that doesn't move around a lot, make her skin sag, have her wear a fat suit so she has an old woman's body. I don't know, maybe do a better job with lighting to hide it all?

It's been done before in excellent ways and I'm not asking for Marvel levels of CGI aging but I really feel like they dropped the ball because like her first scene I recognized her for what she was and it kinda confirmed my suspicions that the new pastor was the old one only young again. I don't mind figuring that out before the reveal, but I'd rather not connect the dots because of bad make up, you know?

Other than that I'm enjoying it a lot.

Related: I really loved that in the final episode of The Cleaner they didn't even try in the flashbacks and just said gently caress it, put the actors as they are in young people clothes around young actors.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Superhost:

I can't overstate just how stupid this couple is. I get they are desperate for subscribers, but come on. Do not follow the crazy lady that has been spying on/stalking you the whole trip into the woods after deciding it's too creepy to stay at her place. And if you do, when she does a murder prank and seemingly gives you an opportunity to leave, just shut up and get out of there, who cares about your camera. Do not just randomly imply that she killed the previous owner, prompting her to go into full-on murder mode. And if you did all that, when you run away, maybe go back to your car instead of back into the crazy lady's house.

most irrationally irritating part: wondering why there's no landline phone in the house especially in a place with really bad cell phone coverage. I guess if it was a rustic cabin or something where the idea is to "get away from it all" it'd fit the theme, but while this place is remote it has a ton of modern conveniences so I'd expect at least a backup connection to the outside world.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Why would anyone anywhere have a landline now, unless they just really want to pay a few bucks a month to get robocalls about their car's warranty and political bullshit.

I'm not even sure if there is such a thing as a landline in the traditional sense anymore, even as a backup. They're all VOIP everywhere AFAIK, even if they're pretending otherwise.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Well just watch that movie to find out what happens when you don't have one :colbert:

e: well technically since it was the killer's house (kind of), not having one was beneficial. But the couple could have found a place with one if they didn't want to get murdered with no way to call for help aside from filming and uploading a youtube video

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Sep 26, 2021

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Imagined posted:

Why would anyone anywhere have a landline now, unless they just really want to pay a few bucks a month to get robocalls about their car's warranty and political bullshit.

I'm not even sure if there is such a thing as a landline in the traditional sense anymore, even as a backup. They're all VOIP everywhere AFAIK, even if they're pretending otherwise.

Proper copper lines to the POP do exist, they just turn to digital farther up the pipeline in the telco these days. Many businesses have them for security\fire with a cellular backup.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Imagined posted:

This is very much an edge case, but I know someone who has a medicalert necklace which connects to a landline and has some sort of setup under her mattress for measuring heartbeat or something. Literally all the equipment is designed around being used with a landline.

Beyond that, unless you're still living in a reception blackspot, the only people still using them are going to be old people who are terrified of the idea of even the simplest smartphones.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My parents and aunts/uncles still have one despite all owning hte newest iphones.

But really, my complaint is that you shouldn't rely on just your cell phone if you're going to be staying in a remote area with a potentially murderous airbnb host. At least bring a satellite phone like they did in the jurassic park sequels

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Beyond that, unless you're still living in a reception blackspot, the only people still using them are going to be old people who are terrified of the idea of even the simplest smartphones.
I used to work for a place that sold senior cell phones, and I'd say most of the users only had them for emergencies. They easily preferred landlines. One thing is, it's not "terror" - a lot of them genuinely have difficulty using smartphones due to visual impairments and motor and cognitive issues, and sometimes even using a big-button phone is a struggle.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Imagined posted:

Basically every business uses landlines extensively.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Basically every business uses landlines extensively.

Must be a US thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Biplane posted:

Must be a US thing.

Almost every call I make in my work is to a landline if it isn't to a patient. I'd be surprised to see a mobile number listed for a doctor, for example.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Biplane posted:

Must be a US thing.

Okay, so let’s say in whatever non-us country you are familiar with, you want to call a restaurant to ask a question about their menu, or make sure their hours aren’t affected by a holiday, or make a reservation. You look up a phone number and call. What kind of phone line does that number go to?

It’s probably a landline.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

Almost every call I make in my work is to a landline if it isn't to a patient. I'd be surprised to see a mobile number listed for a doctor, for example.

A lot of what appear to be landlines are actually VOIP these days. My work switched away from desk phones a year or two before COVID and now we all have numbers on a single exchange no matter where we work. The chief drawback is that if your Internet goes down you've got no way to tell ICT that there's a problem.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jedit posted:

A lot of what appear to be landlines are actually VOIP these days. My work switched away from desk phones a year or two before COVID and now we all have numbers on a single exchange no matter where we work. The chief drawback is that if your Internet goes down you've got no way to tell ICT that there's a problem.

Yeah this is what I was saying.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ah. I think I was thinking of mobile/landline as a split rather than traditional phoneline/data. In that case I see what you mean. We're VOIP now too. It loving sucks.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The first MiB movie is almost flawless, except for the first scene where they drive the car to the squidbirth scene. It's so obviously sped up footage that it looks like something from the Benny Hill show.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

we went VOIP a few years back, except nobody thought to increase our internet to compensate and the first two weeks were full of static and dropped calls until they got the equipment upgraded

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

The first MiB movie is almost flawless, except for the first scene where they drive the car to the squidbirth scene. It's so obviously sped up footage that it looks like something from the Benny Hill show.

I like it up until the end where the movie forgets all the stuff it showed you earlier to do a big dumb shootout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

I like it up until the end where the movie forgets all the stuff it showed you earlier to do a big dumb shootout.

It makes a lot of sense that the ending was apparently studio mandated.